New player praise

New player praise

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amirah.1896

Amirah.1896

Hello Everyone,

I joined the Guild Wars community during the recent free trial and was quickly hooked. A couple friends of mine play (or did play) and have been suggesting I try for months, the free trial is what pushed me to make the leap. So thank you very much for bringing forth the option!

Definite perks (according to me):

-No subscription
I come from a very large MMO (it seems taboo to name in these forums?) with a subscription attached to it. I had a couple of such subscriptions and never really thought twice about it. It’s quite cool being able to pay for the things I want (yay endless mining pick) or just skip extras and still have a fantastic game I only paid forty five dollars for.

-Regular patches, additions, events
In my two weeks of playtime I’ve already seen many dev posts, two events and two what appeared to be general game updates complete with class changes. This is a lot for no subscription!

-Transmutation and general “play dress up”
Very much enjoying the variety and styles of clothing available. Having the option to keep my superior stats and still have lovely, eye pleasing apparel is highly satisfying. On this note, I would really love to see some female Asura clothing models. It was so disappointing to realize my amazingly cute Asura shared clothes with male Asura, and honestly they looked fairly drab and boring in comparison to the other female options (Norn, Sylvari, Human). I switched over to a race with nicer clothes for now, but the Asura were my first love.

-Huge variety in ways to gain experience
This is probably tied with playing dress up as my favorite aspects of Guild Wars 2. I level without even meaning to! Experience can be gained in almost every conceivable manner. I gain experience while doing dynamic events, helping NPC’s, exploring, crafting, gathering, doing WvW. It’s possible my Norn ranger gains experience just passively existing, but I’m not positive on that yet. :P (Yep, I play a ranger with a longbow and bear companion! It’s been brilliant for mostly solo play so far.)

Those are my highlights. I could go on about the beautiful game atmosphere, the fact that crafting my own gear is actually valid, the frustrating yet fun jumping puzzles and much more that I enjoy. This is good for now.

Thank you for the excellent game, keep up the great work!

PS. I wouldn’t mind having a go at the endless wood chopping axe. It was gone by the time I arrived. Maybe these will return someday?

PPS. Why did my dollar sign get changed to the word kitten in my preview?? I had to type out the amount, haha.

New player praise

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

They’ll release endless gathering tools every so often, yeah.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

New player praise

Amirah.1896

Excellent, thank you for the information.

New player praise

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Very soon, actually, the axe should be released, since the other 2 tools were released in such quick succession.

As for female Asura models, I agree, and so does everyone. But we can make it work, see below

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

New player praise

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Welcome. I remember that feeling when I first started. It’s long gone, but I have the memories. You’ll see in due time. Welcome again.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

New player praise

Amirah.1896

That is definitely a cute option! I especially like the unique looking headpiece. I have been using the following website to find potential armor matches, I hope it’s still current. http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery/index.php?sex=1&race=0&color=10&weight=1

Thank you for sharing your adorable elementalist. It did give me hope that maybe I could make something work. The color scheme is lovely.

New player praise

Amirah.1896

Thank you for the welcome. I hope the awesome times return for you soon, Teege.

New player praise

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I like the gear design in GW2 mainly because ‘cooler’ doesnt translate to basically armour with more particle effects that makes you seem like a portable disco ball.

New player praise

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah, a lot of the armor has excellent textures. There is a lot of attention to detail, without it being flashy flashy. I think they reserve flashiness to the weapon skins, which works, obviously!

There are excellent combos for all races and armor types, except for maybe Charr, I know a lot of Charr players who are disappointed in clipping and other such things. But there are always ways, I’m sure!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

New player praise

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Welcome. I remember that feeling when I first started. It’s long gone, but I have the memories. You’ll see in due time. Welcome again.

I’m playing as long as you and I still enjoy the game.

New player praise

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Welcome and enjoy the game
You have hit on some of the most enjoyable things for me too.
I started during the betas and I am still having a ball
have fun and don’t be afraid to try new things and all sorts of different race and class combinations.
:D

Gunnar’s Hold

New player praise

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

+++++++1 to female asura armor. I got the arah pants for my guard just because they looked a bit skirt-like. The new ponytail hairstyle also helps her read as feminen. The problem is many of the female armors, particularly light armors, are sexualised in reference to human anatomy. Think about the winged light armor – it would need to be totally redesigned to make sense on a charr or an asura. I don’t think they need to do it for all the armors, but give us at least a few options (cultural armor especially) to look more girly on non-humanoid characters.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

New player praise

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’m playing as long as you and I still enjoy the game.

I’ve been playing since headstart and I feel as he does, the honeymoon is always when the excitement is there until something happens like them failing to add the 71% health to turrets.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

New player praise

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Welcome and may Tyria be kind to you.

New player praise

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

As for female Asura models, I agree, and so does everyone. But we can make it work, see below

I disagree :p . Actually I find the “male” clothes on my female Asura pretty cute.^^

Edit: Sry for rather offtopic.

New player praise

Lilith Ajit.6173

I disagree :p . Actually I find the “male” clothes on my female Asura pretty cute.^^

Edit: Sry for rather offtopic.

Okay okay I’ll edit my comment “several Players who have female Asura agree” obviously not all ;P

There are a few topics on it in the Asura forum, usually folks want different models, but you’re right, not always.

[ARES]

New player praise

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

A bit more variety would be great I think, so that both groups have something.

New player praise

Lilith Ajit.6173

Well, I’m happy with the differences in t3 cultural. Also I love TA and Arah gear on my female Asura. I think it just depends on the gear set, I just know how disappointed I was when leveling with my husband that both our gear sets always looked identical.

[ARES]

New player praise

Amirah.1896

Thank you for the additional welcomes, peeps. I have found the community to be pretty helpful and even patient (whoa) thus far.

A very kind duo of Asuran engineers showed me the ropes in WvW and the Queensdale champ train on my server even waits a minute or two to kill the spider while everyone rushes over. Small things do it for me.

New player praise

Amirah.1896

@rfdarko I agree that many female outfits would need a near total revamp due to the sexy elements where Asura have no sexy bits. I highly covet those wings though!

New player praise

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Even after 2000 hours (lol) and certain things that annoy me such as wvwvw skill lag GW2 really is a good game. Ive had alot of fun here….probably about 1998 hrs worth of fun.

New player praise

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Even after 2000 hours (lol) and certain things that annoy me such as wvwvw skill lag GW2 really is a good game. Ive had alot of fun here….probably about 1998 hrs worth of fun.

It’s the best MMO on the market but it could be so much better… Which is why veterans are frustrated.