New player questions: Necro Or Mesmer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Erhnam.5732

Erhnam.5732

I like both of them, I’ve levelled both of them to 10 or so. Still unsure which one to play. Im mostly a solo, pve player. I will do some PvP from time to time, but I dont care if Im the FOTM or my class cant beat a puppy

- Which one is more survivable? (PvE)
- Which one has an easier time to farm? (PvE, AoE?)
- Which are the cons and pros of both professions?

I still cant decide, hope you can help me choose

Posted by: Onza.7165

Onza.7165

Necromancer has more survive-ability, although good Mesmer can survive also.
Necromancer in terms of AoE damage have wells, marks and have the ability of spreading conditions among mobs with epidemic. Mesmers are more duelists, one on one, but they also have some AoE options.

Necromancers are quite bugged and lack power/burst damage. Both proffesions have quite a high learning curve in terms of mastering, necromancers in certain situations can be quite deadly where a good mesmer can turn the tides in battle. You’ll probably be more accepted in groups as a Mesmer.

Coming from Guild Wars 1 as a Necromancer, i’m a little disappointed how the necromancer turned out, theoretically it could be great, i really like the mechanics of the proffesion with death shroud and all. But the bugs and the lack of power damage put me off. If addressed, i will probably re-roll my Necromancer.

More violence, less violets.

(edited by Onza.7165)

Posted by: Easterlily.5836

Easterlily.5836

Hard question for those who havnt played any of them. Personally I think they are equal when it comes to survivability. I mean, necromancer have their life steals and drains but the mesmer can trick and evade a lot of damage.

Generally I would say that the Necro is easier to play but personally I think the Mesmer are more fun.

You always continue forward, but there will be curves before you reach the end of the road.

Posted by: Erhnam.5732

Erhnam.5732

Necromancer has more survive-ability, although good Mesmer can survive also.
Necromancer in terms of AoE damage have wells, marks and have the ability of spreading conditions among mobs with epidemic. Mesmers are more duelists, one on one, but they also have some AoE options.

Necromancers are quite bugged and lack power/burst damage. Both proffesions have quite a high learning curve in terms of mastering, necromancers in certain situations can be quite deadly where a good mesmer can turn the tides in battle. You’ll probably be more accepted in groups as a Mesmer.

Coming from Guild Wars 1 as a Necromancer, i’m a little disappointed how the necromancer turned out, theoretically it could be great, i really like the mechanics of the proffesion with death shroud and all. But the bugs and the lack of power damage put me off. If addressed, i will probably re-roll my Necromancer.

This was really helpful, thanks! Ive been playing my Mesmer lately, but I guess I will put more time on my Necro too

Or I may wait for them to get patched and then start having fun from level 1

Posted by: TAllstun.3081

TAllstun.3081

I started with a human mesmer and LOVE it. I find that I’m pretty effective on my own, switching between staff and GS. The illusions don’t do much in the way of damage, but they can be good distractions when the time calls for it. I do find that I have to be careful about pulling too many enemies at once, but I think that’s the same with any of the professions. I’m almost lvl 30 on her now, and still really enjoy playing her.

I haven’t played a necro – I made one, but switched early on in the levels, since the gameplay felt unnatural to me. Sorry I can’t be of more help in that department.

Good luck making your choice!