New report options please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galeskyring.9617

Galeskyring.9617

We have seriously needed more options when it comes to reporting things, especially player related things.

An example would be when in pvp people do physically abusive things like t e a bag ing your corpse over and over, but we have no report abusive behavior or graphic abuse, closest e got is verbal abuse tab.

Another example would be when you pvp or wvw and get rekted vs a mesmer using tide of time 5 times in a row which is flat impossible, or how about a thief pinging you then stealthing .5 seconds later regardless of revealed debuff, we got no report hacking button to appropriately report such offenses.

So please anet, do this hugely long over due addition to the report system, give us some more accurate options for reporting stuff.

It’s one thing to get trolled in pvp matches, hounded the whole fight by a single person, it’s another for that person to use emotes or certain motions to visually abuse your corpse every time.

Honor, Kindness, Patience, are Virtues; Virtues are practiced~ Loyalty & respect are earned

Regard others as you would normally, the internet is not justification for mistreating others

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can use the ‘bot’ option to have a GM investigate behavior.

Good luck.

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

Galeskyring.9617

Another example would be when you pvp or wvw and get rekted vs a mesmer using tide of time 5 times in a row which is flat impossible, or how about a thief pinging you then stealthing .5 seconds later regardless of revealed debuff, we got no report hacking button to appropriately report such offenses.

If a thief hits you with cloak n dagger skill and nothing else there is no revealed with that they can if they are good at it keep hitting you with that skill without being revealed at all or only for a second if that. Try it for yourself if you have a thief
5th skill dagger dagger

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m having a hard time seeing “jumping up and down on a dead enemy” as abusive, really. It’s annoying, sure. But it’s not something I’d consider reportable. As for your other examples, if you suspect they’re doing something that isn’t possible, then report for botting.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

We have seriously needed more options when it comes to reporting things, especially player related things.

An example would be when in pvp people do physically abusive things like t e a bag ing your corpse over and over, but we have no report abusive behavior or graphic abuse, closest e got is verbal abuse tab.

So please anet, do this hugely long over due addition to the report system, give us some more accurate options for reporting stuff.

It’s one thing to get trolled in pvp matches, hounded the whole fight by a single person, it’s another for that person to use emotes or certain motions to visually abuse your corpse every time.

It doesn’t really matter what the options are called. The /report creates a ticket and that ticket is handled by the same group of Support personnel, regardless of how we flagged it. They follow the same procedures and check for the same issues, no matter what we choose.

What changes is the order in which things are checked. So adding more options does two things:

• It creates a longer list of things for us to check, which usually will make some of us feel better and confuse others.
  • It implies that we need even more options, for all the other cases that won’t be covered by the next iteration.

I’d just as soon they merely relabel the existing options to clarify how broad the categories are. (New text is italicized; removed text is struck out)

• Botting and any other type of suspected cheating, including any form of AFK gaming.
  • Inappropriate character name of character, guild, or pet.
  • Spamming, including endless repeating of emotes, non-melodic use of instruments, or advertisements.
  • Verbal Abuse and any other alleged anti-community behavior.
  • Scamming including all forms of failing to deliver promised goods or services.
  • Selling or buying gold.
  • Suspected Misuse of the LFG System Abuse

tl;dr better to relabel the existing choices to show how there’s already an option for everything we might report
(PS my phrasing might not be ideal; I use it to illustrate the idea not as a definitive suggestion for the final text)

Thanks to Donari: rephrased the ‘spamming’ language to reflect the reality that people spam other things besides gold selling links

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I suspect the fact that this has been left as is for so long is a solid indication of how much Anet cares about it.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

We could definitely use a new option for abusive players.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I do not know that the team is looking at expanding the options/selectable reasons for in-game reports at the present time, but I will share your thoughts on this subject.

We are looking at more meaningful and easy ways for players to report forums issues, but that’s a bit away. More on that at a later time.

In the meantime, I can’t help but think that in-game reports are good. They usually are easy to make and in most cases they do the trick. But sometimes, a ticket is better. It allows you to go into details and at the same time, you can mention whether you have screenshots or other files and attach them if the team requests them. (You cannot send a screenshot with your initial report, but do mention that you have them, because attachments are possible in subsequent responses to the ticket.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

• Spamming [the suppression filter largely prevents this now]

I like your suggestions but disagree with removing the Spamming option. If someone does the same emote 50 times in quick succession, as in as fast as they can paste it in and hit enter, they’re not using it for screenshots or RP. They’re just scrolling my chat box for no reason.

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

I do not know that the team is looking at expanding the options/selectable reasons for in-game reports at the present time, but I will share your thoughts on this subject.

We are looking at more meaningful and easy ways for players to report forums issues, but that’s a bit away. More on that at a later time.

In the meantime, I can’t help but think that in-game reports are good. They usually are easy to make and in most cases they do the trick. But sometimes, a ticket is better. It allows you to go into details and at the same time, you can mention whether you have screenshots or other files and attach them if the team requests them. (You cannot send a screenshot with your initial report, but do mention that you have them, because attachments are possible in subsequent responses to the ticket.)

In all fairness you guys should have added more reporting options ages ago because they are hopelessly insufficient. How do you expect to make a healthy competitive PvP environment if you do not even have the proper tools in place for us to report toxic behaviour such as afk’ing or just trolling matches? I have consistently reported them under botting, I just hope that does not bite me in the kitten because they weren’t really bots but trolls/afk’rs. Also I want to bring up the apparant lack of action on those reports. I literally have been told to go and kill myself but I get the impression such reports are not taken too serious.

Both the report system and how Anet deals with reports needs to be seriously looked into.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

In all fairness you guys should have added more reporting options ages ago because they are hopelessly insufficient. How do you expect to make a healthy competitive PvP environment if you do not even have the proper tools in place for us to report toxic behaviour such as afk’ing or just trolling matches? I have consistently reported them under botting, I just hope that does not bite me in the kitten because they weren’t really bots but trolls/afk’rs. Also I want to bring up the apparant lack of action on those reports. I literally have been told to go and kill myself but I get the impression such reports are not taken too serious.

Both the report system and how Anet deals with reports needs to be seriously looked into.

Given you’ve not been satisfied with the outcome of your previous reports, have you used the ticket system, and the expanded options it affords you?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Please don’t say you are considering using players as moderators.

The Burninator

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Are the current moderators not players also? Though, if they were to expand their workforce with current players, I hope they are well well vetted.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

In the meantime, I can’t help but think that in-game reports are good. They usually are easy to make and in most cases they do the trick.

This is not true. If it is so burdensome for your game team to have tickets with more than a couple marks for type, maybe they should at least add the options on the player side.

Example: Reporting a name/guild-tag combination that is offensive. There is no option for that, and using “inappropriate character name” does nothing to indicate that anyone at Anet will so much as raise a pinky finger to look any further than at the characters name.
Sometimes it’s the perceived value that is the best for the players. I’m shocked that Anet can’t see it when it comes to something this basic. They sure do work perceived value over and over when it comes to loot, etc.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

JustTrogdor.7892

Are the current moderators not players also? Though, if they were to expand their workforce with current players, I hope they are well well vetted.

To the best of my knowledge the current moderators are Anet staff members. I have no idea if they actually play GW2 as I have never seen it discussed. I do know that I can’t think of a single customer “player” on this forum that I would trust with that role.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No, non-Anet-employee players are not forum moderators or moderators for in-game issues.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Given you’ve not been satisfied with the outcome of your previous reports, have you used the ticket system, and the expanded options it affords you?

Submitting tickets for AFKs or people intentionally throwing matches is not even remotely feasible.

I go for days or even longer than a week sometimes without seeing any gold spammers. But spend more than an hour in competitive PvP and you’re almost guaranteed to get someone throwing a match or AFK.

Just think how often anyone would report goldspammers if they had to open a separate webpage, login, fill out a bunch of fields, and then hoped they spelled the person’s name right.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I like your suggestions

Thanks

• Spamming [the suppression filter largely prevents this now]

disagree with removing the Spamming option. If someone does the same emote 50 times in quick succession, as in as fast as they can paste it in and hit enter, they’re not using it for screenshots or RP. They’re just scrolling my chat box for no reason.

Good point. I’ll update my list accordingly.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Not on my watch. Never on my watch.

Yes, everyone on our moderation team has a game account, so they do play the game. I believe as a lead that this helps everyone, when the moderators are also familiar with the game.

It’s important to note, though, that they have a very explicit set of guidelines on how they perform their job. Hey, I wrote the policies, so as you can imagine they’re 107 pages long, with 3,201 bullet points.

Given that being a moderator is holding a job, and that one’s job is one’s livelihood, moderators don’t mess around. I have been happy with our mods and believe they are performing in a reliable and capable manner.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Previous

Gaile Gray

I’m having a hard time seeing “jumping up and down on a dead enemy” as abusive, really. It’s annoying, sure. But it’s not something I’d consider reportable. As for your other examples, if you suspect they’re doing something that isn’t possible, then report for botting.

If I reported every player who stood behind me and swooshed his sword or cast his spells endlessly, just as a means of getting attention, I’d be reporting until the Dolyaks come home. Fact is, a lot of this stuff is attention-seeking, and I would give as little attention as possible to it, including spending even 30 seconds of my time to report.

I just move on. Suggest you do as you wish, though, because if it’s truly bothersome to you, reporting can be worthwhile.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

JustTrogdor.7892

Thank you. That’s great to know.

The Burninator

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Personally think writing a ticket for a player going afk in pvp matches for example is a waste of time and effort.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

can we get /resign in pvp like in gw 1 This should help with the afk problem and help the queue time’s

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

Yes, everyone on our moderation team has a game account, so they do play the game. I believe as a lead that this helps everyone, when the moderators are also familiar with the game.

It’s important to note, though, that they have a very explicit set of guidelines on how they perform their job. Hey, I wrote the policies, so as you can imagine they’re 107 pages long, with 3,201 bullet points.

Given that being a moderator is holding a job, and that one’s job is one’s livelihood, moderators don’t mess around. I have been happy with our mods and believe they are performing in a reliable and capable manner.

Question is does the general populace that is being moderated think so too? Now I don’t know how recently that has been instated but in the past I sometimes had the feeling the mods were as trigger happy is a 12 year old that got his first moderation task in a forum for a game they liked to play, which isnt a good thing. That being said it is already a while ago and I have not been all that active in general in here lately so it could as well have improved a lot.

Given that you already tell me to use another system, isnt it pretty obvious the in game report system is insufficient? Also apart from adding more options, add a text field so we can at least clarify the report a bit, that would make there being too few categories less of a problem.

(edited by smitske.4912)

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

I sent in a ticket in March about some pretty nasty names after seeing the in-game tool did zero to resolve the issue for a long time, and was told the ‘Security Team’ reviews players names. That was in March.

I still see some of these names pop up.. in June.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Illconceived Was Na.9781

That doesn’t even include the footnotes or table of contents (which each have their own bullet points). (My imagination is running wild. Erm, to the extent that “wild” and “policy handbooks” can be used meaningfully in the same paragraph.)

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Zex.3618

Zex.3618

one option that i like to see changed in the reporting stuff is: Autoblock gold sellers when you hit the report gold seller option. instead I have to click on the name twice to report then block. its a QoL change if anything. Eve-online has this option and it makes quick scum squishing.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

By the Alchemy! I’d not want to be in on that presentation.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

If I reported every player who stood behind me and swooshed his sword or cast his spells endlessly, just as a means of getting attention, I’d be reporting until the Dolyaks come home. Fact is, a lot of this stuff is attention-seeking, and I would give as little attention as possible to it, including spending even 30 seconds of my time to report.

I just move on. Suggest you do as you wish, though, because if it’s truly bothersome to you, reporting can be worthwhile.

Not sure if anyone else brought it up yet, but is it possible to get a reporting option so that we can report players who are deliberately taking actions in events that are considered malicious and counter-productive? IE one or a group of people finishing off one of the octovines in Auric Basin far too early in relation to the other 3, thus causing the event to basically fail as a result of the regeneration mechanic. This is just an example, but it’s a perfect example of some of the trash behavior certain players exhibit in the game.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Not sure if anyone else brought it up yet, but is it possible to get a reporting option so that we can report players who are deliberately taking actions in events that are considered malicious and counter-productive? IE one or a group of people finishing off one of the octovines in Auric Basin far too early in relation to the other 3, thus causing the event to basically fail as a result of the regeneration mechanic. This is just an example, but it’s a perfect example of some of the trash behavior certain players exhibit in the game.

It’s dangerous to decide the difference between purposely trolling, and someone just not reading map chat or being incompetent. If a report option of this kind were to make it’s way into the in-game report system, I imagine that the ticket system would have a 5 day wait instead of the usual 3. Perhaps more, due to the GMs having to investigate every single ‘griefing’ report they get.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]