New rig mod price for performance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Opopanax.1803

Opopanax.1803

Hey all

Just about time for a new computer. I don’t have a ton of money, but do want someting that plays gw2 well.

I have gathered that kitten drive is the way to go on the drive side, and I currently run a AMD processor and even though it is a good one, my performance isn’t great.

So, if you were to make/buy a moderately priced computer, what would you get?

Intel processor X?
Ssd drive brand?
Graphics card?

Would love some help.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

good thing is with this game you really do not need that big of horse cpu . when it comes to this game as it does not use that many cores at all .

but If you wish to play other games like grand theft auto then it will work out well . not sure what your current cpu is as you not told that .

I use this cpu tho on one of my systems . that right out of the box its clocked at 4.0 . but I will also tell you using this cpu you need to get a after market cooler for it which is not that costly . the problem with that is the size of the cooler which I will put in links for you to check out .

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

going with this already clocked 4.0 amd cpu your saving about $80.00 over intel cpu,s

as the one you have to get to run this game runes about $250.0 before it even toches the amd cpu speed which would need to be over clocked

this after market cool with 2 fans will keep that cpu cool . but I do recommend to upgrade the cpu stock fans to the cooler master 120MM 95 cfm fans .

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=13C-000X-00037

video cards right now do not get any other cards then a 1050 or 1050 TI video card as right now the other video cards are $400.00 more but this 1050 TI video card with 4 gig memory . for $159.00 will do you very well

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137055

for $89.00 from amazon or new egg right now . you can get this new 250 gig s/s/d drive

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250078

you did not say but if you should need a new case as well too this one for $60.00 is really good

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

also when you put in the 200 MM 110 cfm case fans this keeps it super cool .and will even lite up for you too

hope this helps and gives you a good idea to get you what your looking for

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: bOTEB.1573

bOTEB.1573

Heya, I think I can help you out with this.

Last week my friend bought this

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6fgcXH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6fgcXH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD – Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($226.28 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua – NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI – B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill – Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 × 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($130.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital – Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA – GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($289.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake – Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.93 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA – SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1054.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 00:50 EDT-0400

The only difference is he found all this for 970$

He could take cheaper CPU cooler but he wanted to overclock the CPU.

With only very slight voltage increase he was able to OC it at 4.3ghz

Imo he didn’t need 1060 gpu but only 1050ti but the performance from 1060 compared to 1050ti is too huge to skip on.

Every detail on max and on, full hd resolution, he play 55-60 fps (when it’s limited to 60fps max) in Lions Arch.

To compare this for u I am with older PC 16gb ddr3 upg to 2133mhz, i7 4790k oc to 4.5ghz, evgta gtx780ti king pin edition, slightly oced too and I pull between 41 and 60 fps in lions arch but his minimum is 55.

P.S This is not just something he told me – I saw the fps and played on his pc myself. And his PC is in a dusty room, no matter how often he vacuum it and clean it there is dust and the case is perfect for dusty rooms as it has antidust filters and a lot of air ventilation. I think he got 2 more fans from his old rig and put em on the new case as the new case comes only with 1 big fan in front. But hell, this case is great. His temps never go beyond 60 degrees and its summer (in stress test). And the m.2 helps loading between maps a lot. I am with ssd and this m.2 loads faster every map

(edited by bOTEB.1573)

Posted by: Opopanax.1803

Opopanax.1803

Thanks!

More characters

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

Keep in mind that the new line of Intel chips is about to hit, so you may want to wait a bit before putting your system together.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

going with this already clocked 4.0 amd cpu your saving about $80.00 over intel cpu,s

Oh dear, please just wipe FX chips off the face of the earth. Bury them and forget about them. They are slow as molasses and obsolete.

As above stated, Ryzen 1600 is a good compromise at the moment. Its not ideal for GW2 but then again bying an Intel at the moment is pointless too – in about 1 months time everything will get shuffled when Coffe Lake come out, prices on 7th gen should drop.

Posted by: bOTEB.1573

bOTEB.1573

Oh dear, please just wipe FX chips off the face of the earth. Bury them and forget about them. They are slow as molasses and obsolete.

As above stated, Ryzen 1600 is a good compromise at the moment. Its not ideal for GW2 but then again bying an Intel at the moment is pointless too – in about 1 months time everything will get shuffled when Coffe Lake come out, prices on 7th gen should drop.

Not worth to wait for coffee lake.

Why, its the newest intel chip you will ask?

Because it uses the same 14nm technology and the major optimization of this technology was at the release of kaby lake.

So if op has to wait it should be for the 10nm chips cannon lake at the 1st quarter of 2018 or even better wait for ice lake/tiger lake but then again this is too far in the future.

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

If you only play gw2, you want as much cpu clock speed as possible and 2 cores is enough. Gtx 1050 ti should be more than enough. From what I have heard the game runs very poorly on some amd cpus, so you are probably better off with intel unless someone can tel you exactly what amd cpu to buy
Dont buy a laptop because even high end ones cant handle gw2 on max settings properly due to the much lower cpu clock speed (unless you buy a big bulky one with a desktop cpu)

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

My PC runs the game very well indeed. Specs in sig. When I got this well over s year ago, it was an expensive build; things have moved on, however, and the price of something similar may now be well within your budget.

Note the o/c as the game benefits grom that.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Because it uses the same 14nm technology and the major optimization of this technology was at the release of kaby lake.

True, but if we get 8700K at the same pricepoint as 7700K you get all the benefits of 7700K with a 6c/12t CPU for the future. You can always wait for the next thing, question is how long you wanna wait.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Heya, I think I can help you out with this.

Last week my friend bought this

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6fgcXH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6fgcXH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD – Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($226.28 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua – NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI – B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill – Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 × 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($130.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital – Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA – GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($289.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake – Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.93 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA – SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1054.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 00:50 EDT-0400

The only difference is he found all this for 970$

He could take cheaper CPU cooler but he wanted to overclock the CPU.

With only very slight voltage increase he was able to OC it at 4.3ghz

Imo he didn’t need 1060 gpu but only 1050ti but the performance from 1060 compared to 1050ti is too huge to skip on.

Every detail on max and on, full hd resolution, he play 55-60 fps (when it’s limited to 60fps max) in Lions Arch.

To compare this for u I am with older PC 16gb ddr3 upg to 2133mhz, i7 4790k oc to 4.5ghz, evgta gtx780ti king pin edition, slightly oced too and I pull between 41 and 60 fps in lions arch but his minimum is 55.

P.S This is not just something he told me – I saw the fps and played on his pc myself. And his PC is in a dusty room, no matter how often he vacuum it and clean it there is dust and the case is perfect for dusty rooms as it has antidust filters and a lot of air ventilation. I think he got 2 more fans from his old rig and put em on the new case as the new case comes only with 1 big fan in front. But hell, this case is great. His temps never go beyond 60 degrees and its summer (in stress test). And the m.2 helps loading between maps a lot. I am with ssd and this m.2 loads faster every map

That looks perfect!

As to OP, If it’s too expensive, one can consider getting a cheaper cooler, downgrading it to a r5 1600 or 1500x (comes with the cooler too), lowering the ram to 8gb , or getting a 1050ti, in that order.

If one were to get a 1600, they’d save $20 on the CPU and not have to buy a $30 cooler; and could divert the money, to say, a bigger SSD.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

NewEgg sells a huge range of refurbished deskptops and server-class workstations for very low prices.

Buy one of those and a GTX 1050 to install in it and you will be set. The 1050 draws low enough power that it doesn’t need a 6-pin power connector from the PSU.

This one would be more than enough to do the job you need.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

(edited by TheHeretic.3529)

ArchonWing.9480

If you only play gw2, you want as much cpu clock speed as possible and 2 cores is enough. Gtx 1050 ti should be more than enough. From what I have heard the game runs very poorly on some amd cpus, so you are probably better off with intel unless someone can tel you exactly what amd cpu to buy
Dont buy a laptop because even high end ones cant handle gw2 on max settings properly due to the much lower cpu clock speed (unless you buy a big bulky one with a desktop cpu)

Yes and no. While gw2 mainly relies on single core, it still uses more cores for other stuff, usually up to 3. So a quad core will generally outperform a dual core, but past that it doesn’t help unless you do other background things.

New dual cores run gw2 fine though, but with ryzen3 there is little reason to consider a dualcore beyond the super budget g4560.

Now graphics cards, almost any crappy card works. Rx 560/1050 is more than enough. Could even get away with a gt1030/rx 550 but honestly, just treat yourself better and order less drinks for a month and get a better card.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

My ideal builds depending on budget would be something like this:

At a Very Low budget: Ryzen 3 1300X + Nvidia GT1030 (GTX 1050 2GB at a stretch) – 4 cores compared to a similarly price intel i3 will be better for GW2 and you can even overclock it. Meanwhile a GT 1030 has good performance and doesn’t need extra PSU power, as a GPU it will perform well but for a little more you can get a GTX 1050 and it’s a great card for the price.

Medium Budget: Ryzen 5 1500X + Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (GTX 1060 3GB at a stretch) – 4 cores, 8 threads CPU with OC out of the box and at 2/3 the price of an i7. Paired with a GTX 1050Ti this is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of 1080p gaming. A GTX 1060 (3GB Model) will take you a step further, despite having 1GB less memory it performs somewhat better than the 1050Ti and the price isn’t too far off either.

If you’re limited on budget you might want to skip on the SSD and focus on the CPU/GPU mainly.

(edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849)

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

My two cents’ worth is to not wait for and buy the newest chipset. Price will be very high. Get something one or two steps down and you’ll still get a good performance plus save money. Oh, and NewEgg is a great place to buy your parts.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

I recently build a budget pc.

G4560
GTX 1060 6 GB
8 GB RAM

I can play pretty much all AAA games smoothly, but I not so impressive performance in GW2 because of my budget CPU, can confirm that CPU is most important for this game

jokke.6239

My ideal builds depending on budget would be something like this:

At a Very Low budget: Ryzen 3 1300X + Nvidia GT1030 (GTX 1050 2GB at a stretch) – 4 cores compared to a similarly price intel i3 will be better for GW2 and you can even overclock it. Meanwhile a GT 1030 has good performance and doesn’t need extra PSU power, as a GPU it will perform well but for a little more you can get a GTX 1050 and it’s a great card for the price.

Medium Budget: Ryzen 5 1500X + Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (GTX 1060 3GB at a stretch) – 4 cores, 8 threads CPU with OC out of the box and at 2/3 the price of an i7. Paired with a GTX 1050Ti this is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of 1080p gaming. A GTX 1060 (3GB Model) will take you a step further, despite having 1GB less memory it performs somewhat better than the 1050Ti and the price isn’t too far off either.

If you’re limited on budget you might want to skip on the SSD and focus on the CPU/GPU mainly.

If OP is planning on using this for other things than Guild Wars 2 I would HIGHLY recommend spending extra on GTX 1060 6 GB version. Many games eat more than 3 GB Vram nowadays even in 1080p. I would even say get a GTX 1050 TI over GTX 1060 3 GB, since it has 4 GB Vram.
And Vram isn’t the only advantage the 6 GB version have over the 3 GB version. It’s a better card in every aspect, tbh NVIDIA should had named the 6 GB version GTX 1060 TI.

(edited by jokke.6239)

jokke.6239

However, if you are ONLY using the pc for GW2. Spent most of the budget on a good CPU. Even a GTX 1050 is plenty for GW2.

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

So if op has to wait it should be for the 10nm chips cannon lake at the 1st quarter of 2018 or even better wait for ice lake/tiger lake but then again this is too far in the future.

Its worth to wait for coffee lake. i5 and i7s will become 6 cores, and i3s become the current i5s. So basically you get 50% more power for the same price.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

However, if you are ONLY using the pc for GW2. Spent most of the budget on a good CPU. Even a GTX 1050 is plenty for GW2.

very true but they never get it . given the fact right now the only video card that is not over priced in the markets is the 1050 . but they will never get that

due to the miner problems right now the market is very over priced due to the miner problems

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251379-cryptocurrency-craze-sends-gpu-prices-skyrocketing

Cryptocurrency mining

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/cryptocurrency-mining-graphics-card-prices/

no new system upgrades coming

ArchonWing.9480

The mining thing seems to only affect AMD cards, Nvidia cards seem a bit more expensive but fairly minor compared to the riidclous spike in 470/480/570/580 prices.

I mean WTF: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137117

A rx 580 for that much?

This is almost as expensive as a GTX 1080 when the card is on par or a bit better than a 1060….