New skills for all classes/races?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Metahari.1286

Metahari.1286

Has there been any mention of new race or class skills in the future? Obviously we have enough skillpoints to support more.

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

I seriously hope more skills will be added, maybe even underwater only ones to enhance underwater combat, but lets be real here. It’s not going to happen until the expansion comes out, and that’s not happening for another year (give or take some months).

Current usage of skill points, make better siege equipment blueprints if you’re into WvW. Else you can just stockpile them for weapon skins if you’re into that. Otherwise, I would just keep them as personal prestige points like in GW1.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

No mention of either, though it is reasonable to assume that at least new races will be added. New skills, on the other hand, could reasonably go either way so not much chance of an educated guess there. Though I’d be willing to bet that more people want to see new skills than not. lol

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

If/When there are new skills, I suspect they will come in the form of new weapon skills (at least at first) in that they will give one new weapon per profession.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Animando.7956

Animando.7956

I hope new weapons will come (probably with the 1st expansion) only after current weapons are “fixed”.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

omg i hope we don’t have to wait first expansion to be able to wield new weapons and use new elite skills and utilities…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I hope they fix the current skills before adding new ones. There are too many bugs, incorrect tooltips and useless skills for ANet to be thinking about new ones. I’m not trying to be unduly critical here but I play a necro and an engineer. They both need a lot of work before new skills should be considered. But after the professions are properly working, then they can worry about new skills. And I hope they add a lot more.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Guild Wars 1 was effectively killed by ArenaNet when they decided to add two new professions per chapter, plus 25 skills for each old profession.

The original GW had 6 professions, with more or less 75 skills each; that’s 450 skills.

Chapter 2 had 2 new professions with 75 skills each plus 25 new skills for each of the 6 old professions. The game now had 750 skills.

Chapter 3 had 2 new professions with 75 skills each plus 25 new skills for each of the old 8 professions. The game now had 1.050 skills, more than twice the original game.

Had ArenaNet released a chapter 4, it would have needed 2 new professions with 75 skills each plus 25 new skills for each of the old 10 professions. The game would have had 1.600 skills.

ArenaNet basically put themselves in a corner, given how they could never, ever, balance all those skills. This was 100% their fault – by chosing to add so many new skills and new professions per chapter, they showed a huge lack of long term planning; the fact they did so in order to make something “cool” in the short term (“more is always better, right?” – no) is no excuse. The result was having a lot of underpowered skills, which could then be ignored when balancing the game, as well as completely broken professions that had to be reworked in order to work.

They need, of course, to avoid this mistake in Guild Wars 2. They have to add few skills per expansion, and preferably add no new profession, or at most a single one, in order to avoid having more skills than they can balance. Considering how the currently available skills are not bug-fixed or balanced…

I would like to see if ArenaNet is now smart enough to not listen to the players screaming “We want more!” when they announce how many skills they will add per expansion. Players are not game designers, and there is a reason for that – most are pathologically unable to think on the long term and realize how something that they think is “cool” (such as “more and more skills, OMG!!!1111!!”) is actually detrimental to the game on the long term.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: keichi.5107

keichi.5107

They just need to delete some of the totally useless Elite Skills, like the Transformation from the Norn and give us some actual useful skills for that.. Problem Solved.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

There’s no way that they will run into the 1600 skill problem again. Now they have too few skills. And they’re still not balanced…

But the biggest problem with how many skills they had in GW1 was synergy. Having two professions just allowed for too many combinations to keep track of. Now, in the current game, they could allow second profession skills (probably not traits) and still balance the skills fairly easily. Then again, maybe not…

But I understand why people want more skills. They miss making builds. GW2 just doesn’t allow for a fraction of the build depth or variety that GW1 did. It’s great for an MMO and all, but not as good as GW1 was in that regard. Which it was arguably, too good at.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Guild Wars 1 was effectively killed by ArenaNet when they decided to add two new professions per chapter, plus 25 skills for each old profession.

First let me say I don’t disagree, in fact I mostly agree. However one major problem they had wasn’t just the number of skills, but the near limitless combinations. The biggest downfall was the duel professions. A necro had access to mesmer skills, ritualist to elemental skills, etc.. That became impossible for them to balance. They at least nipped that problem in the bud when they didn’t allow a secondary profession in GW2.

That said, I don’t think they will add nearly the same skills as in GW1. Hopefully they learned their lesson on that one. However adding a new weapon every so often isn’t as bad because it is still controllable as you are skill somewhat limited in combinations. In GW1, you could combine any skill with any other for limitless combinations and that was the prime downfall.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I’m all for new skills, however they decide to implement them, but not before the current ones are fixed (coughengiecoughrangercough).

I don’t see new skills coming up in the Jan/ Feb/ Mar updates; I think it’s still too early in GW2’s life for those types of additions, but I imagine the most comprehensive way for them to come in would be through new weapons, and additional utility options. Hopefully the elite slot will be unbound from just elite skills.

Posted by: Czinczar.3786

Czinczar.3786

Thief really needs new elite skills, at least one. The ones currently available are pretty useless. For example, there is no elite skill based on stealth.
Also, I was thinking the other day about this : skill customization : it would be great if we could customize the way skills are working. For example, if you have a skill that says “remove one condition every 10 second”, you would be able to chose an order of priority between all the conditions that the skill or trait removes each 10 second. A bit like diablo 3, if you know what I mean.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

thief elites are fine (though maybe open some more of them up for underwater, i see no reason why thieves guild cant be used underwater for example, then jsut summoning a thief one with each of the 2 underwater thief weapons), now mesmer could really use something that was more usefull in solo PvE specailly for condition builds

But as other have said you ahve to be carefull to add too early and too many extra skills

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m still hoping that they do some balancing to the racial skills, humans in particular are pretty sub par compared to other races and don’t even add any flavour which is supposed to be the point of them.

Also the engineers F1-4 racials skills can be pretty OP compared to the rest.