New to GW2

New to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kitsune.7894

Kitsune.7894

Okay, So literally new to the game…well newish I bought the game originally but didn’t play it much due to Graphics card lacking. New one and now I’m hooked. Now I have a lot of MMO experience e.g. FF, WoW, WaR etc. But NEVER a Guild Wars. As with any new mmo I play I approach it unknowingly.

I’m not going to lie… this game baffles me…the professions. This game doesn’t seem to promote them at all so is it worth doing these whilst leveling? Secondly….CAN I travel anywhere/quest anywhere one of the many reasons I’ve wanted to play this game. Apparently in the old Guild Wars no matter what level I was I could go to a zone and level… I love this idea.. I’ve heard many mixed reviews on this..my friend said
‘GW2 is okay, but it’s nothing more than a grind fest offering no real end game content. The gear is standard looking and it’s just another generic mmo offering nothing new’ Is this true? I’ve also been told 90% of GW2 in game is questing/leveling. Luckily I like leveling so no biggy…

Basically enlighten me, I’m a newb/noob/nub w.e you wanna call it. Flame me if you must I NEED to learn! Any footholds…any realms…any guilds..any proffs..all info!

I greatly thank anyone who has read this whole post…./cookieforyou… means a great deal! It will be even greater if you could expand teh knowledge of this new player Thanks ;D

New to GW2

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

what server are you on?

and although your friend WAS kinda right about end game He isn’t any longer.
there has been plenty of content that could be considerd “end game” added over the last few months.

guild missions, a new tear of gear ((although its not needed or required for any of the game’s content.)) and thing like the improved dailys imo, ETC

to an MMO vet combat it nothing like other MMO combat for Exaple a Warriers CC acts more like that of a combo Braker from a fighting game.

its also worth noteing that if you like playing something like a Healing Role you can HOWEVER you are still required to do dammage as well as provide other forums of saport or control as well.

you would be much more of a combat healer, takeing the edg off and alowing your teams other abuiltys the opportunity to come off cool down. no more Easy mode DPS servivle in this game is vary dependent on your own skill.

MMO vets seem to have a harder time understanding this game than people that are new to the ganra ((unless said MMO vet has played MANY other types of games as well))

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

New to GW2

UnderdogSMO.9428

and although some people think otherwise Min Maxing is not the best way to play this game IMO you want to mix it up.

want to be “tanky” tough and Vat is nice but your going to need some Healing power to, all that extra health from Vat dosn’t mean jack if you cant keep it up after a spike damage attack

New to GW2

UnderdogSMO.9428

and than there’s a hole nother level with understanding Combo fields, the best way to use them and how to stack or not to stack them properly

New to GW2

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

It’s different when it comes to professions, though you do have some choices in how you build your character. It branches out at 80 due to the complete stat choices and runes/sigils to support your build.

Just remember that the game doesn’t change at level cap, you still do the same stuff for fun, and you still keep levelling and earning skillpoints.

I like it a lot more than the games that change drastically at level cap :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

New to GW2

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

let alone professions is no the only thing to figure it, take into account each classes weapons usage does different things.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

New to GW2

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Professions: I assume you mean crafting. Crafting gives you experience (virtually everything you do other than selling gives XP). There are online guides to leveling your crafting. IGN’s is concise and accurate. Basically, gather mats as you explore/level, use them to make stuff. You can craft items your character can use. At 80, it can be cheaper to craft Exotic gear than to buy it if you have all or most of the materials.

CAN I travel anywhere/quest anywhere: yes and no; due to downscaling, higher levels can go to any zone around their level or below and adventure, with some challenge and some on-your-level drops. Low levels are not advised to go to zones much above their level. I can typically handle mobs 1-5 levels up, but much more than that can be challenging, depending on your class. Once you reach level 80, you can go to any zone and be scaled to that zone

GW2 is okay, but it’s nothing more than a grind fest offering no real end game content: endgame content consists of dungeons, group meta events in various zones, dailies and monthlies. Your friend was probably speaking of a traditional endgame with a hierarchy of dungeons and raids, and no, GW2 does not have that. Whether GW2 endgame is any good is up to whether any of the things there are to do will hold your interest. I like to alt, so I do. I like to farm, so I do. I like to do open world events, the harder the better, so I do. ANet is experimenting with a new scaling system for events, and at the moment at least some of them can be quite fun. There is also World versus World, a realm V. Realm PvPvE setting, and Structured PvP if that floats your boat. Grind? There are long term goals: legendary weapons and Ascended Gear (a tier above exotic which offers minor stat boosts). While it does take time and effort to get these, they are in no way necessary. I suppose those who experience grind have to have what they want now or soon. If you can let go of that, there is no grind.

Gear is standard looking: There are armor and weapon skins for each of the 8 dungeons, various skins available while leveling — either through drops or as rewards for the personal story or crafting. So far, I’ve been able to find a look for each of 5 level 80’s. Not to say that I would not want more skins. For instance, male medium (leather) chest pieces that are not a long coat — well, I haven’t seen one; female light armor (cloth) that is not a robe or long skirt or skirt-over-pants is rare. Whether the existing skins are “standard” is a matter of opinion.

It’s just another generic mmo offering nothing new: If all GW2 offered was not having to compete with other players for resource nodes and allowing players to move while using skills, it would have indeed been something new to MMO’s. Fortunately, it also offers many other things, like down-scaling, widespread dynamic events (rather than 1 here or there interspersed with the standard quests), and combat in which choice and skill means something.

90% of GW2 is questing/leveling: I spend as much or more time on my 80’s as on my lower levels, so again, this is going to depend more on individual preferences than on the game.

Best of all, the lack of a sub fee means that my entry fee has garnered more enjoyment per dollar than other games at the same price. Even if all I had done was level one character (~120 hours for my first) I would have been ahead of other comparably-priced games (e.g. SPRPG’s). A t 1200+ hours, it just gets to be a better value.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)