New to GW2

New to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hellswraith.6209

Hellswraith.6209

So tonight I finally got tired of D3 and decided to purchase GW2 as I really enjoyed GW and decided to buy the digital download (25% downloaded ). Im torn on what class/profession to start as and I cant seem to get my achievements from GW to add to GW2 – keeps saying server error try again…

Anyways, I started playing GW as a Warrior and eventually made at least one of all the classes and I really liked the Necromancer as he fit my D2 Zoomancer tactics and play style. Im thinking of going with a NornWarrior Bear build for my first character. I haven’t read a lot about GW2 yet and the possible builds/skills/etc..

Questions I have is – what class build would you make to be successful in PvE as a newly made account starting with Zero Items or Resources as to not lose interest in the game and end up quitting. I was in a rather nice GW CLan (AKA)but they didn’t move over to GW2 unfortunately…

New to GW2

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Welcome! I’ve never heard of a Bear build, but then I don’t know much about builds. I do know, however, that you don’t really have to worry about them right now. The builds really matter at lvl 80. Before that not so much. Personally I tend to go for strength in the early levels, but anything that drops and is better than you had works.

You will, no doubt, find a great guild eventually. In the meanwhile, don’t hesitate to whisper me when you have one of those little questions.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

Well as I stated I assumed the Norns had the ability to transform into Bears, only from GW did I see this.. I have much reading to do to catch up on this game…..

Lol

New to GW2

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Well as I stated I assumed the Norns had the ability to transform into Bears, only from GW did I see this.. I have much reading to do to catch up on this game…..

Lol

Race based abilities are usually not that good in this game. All the best builds are based on class specific skills and traits so your race is not important.

Although it’s arguable that asura is pretty good choice since they are smallest and usually hard to spot and don’t stand out in large wvw fights.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

Uhhg cant stand the Asura personally, I want a HUGE AXE wielding Warrior so Im guessing Ill be a Norn/Human to start… If Im only doing Pve , can the Warrior class take me farther than necro or maybe guardian ??

New to GW2

DeathPanel.8362

Uhhg cant stand the Asura personally, I want a HUGE AXE wielding Warrior so Im guessing Ill be a Norn/Human to start… If Im only doing Pve , can the Warrior class take me farther than necro or maybe guardian ??

Yes. My points were only regarding if you want to do wvw. Race is not relevant in pve.

Depending on your build (say full zerk build) a warrior is excellent in pve.
Necro is not a good choice in pve unless you go full zerk well build and even then a warrior is simply better in pve. (If you go with the meta zerk build)

Here’s generally the tiers in which characters are useful in pve in my opinion: (assuming you build for the meta pve build for each class)
1: Guard/War
2: Mes/Thief/Elementalist (elementalist may be in tier 1 depending on who you ask)
3: Necro/Ranger/Engineer

New to GW2

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’d say Warrior, Guardian, and Ranger are the easiest in open PvE. In dungeons, the Ranger has pet problems.

I strongly suggest you avoid Engineer and Mesmer for your first character, as they’re both kind of complex. They can be good, but only if you know what you’re doing and how the game works. Staring with one right off the bat may be unfairly frustrating.

As for Norns, there’s no such thing as a “bear build”, I’m afraid. Turning into the beast forms is done with Elite skills, and the changes don’t last very long. Also, most race skills are actually kind of underpowered, so that no race is better than the others.

Still, that means that there’s no reason to NOT go with a Norn if you want. And while the transformations are not the best skills you’ll have, they can be fun to mess around with sometimes.

Whichever race or class you make, some of the questions you get asked during character creation will affect your personal story for the first two chapters. Others are just flavor stuff that doesn’t really change a thing. Which animal spirit a Norn follows is one that doesn’t matter, all Norns can eventually gain all 4 transformations.

Anyway, welcome to GW2. I hope you enjoy it. And fair warning, the forums can be a bitter place, so take things here with a truckload of grains of salt until you see things for yourself.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

I see , I also considered a Fire mage build as I had one in GW and she was fun.. Much reading is in my future it seems….

New to GW2

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I see , I also considered a Fire mage build as I had one in GW and she was fun.. Much reading is in my future it seems….

Elementalists can try to focus on one element, but they tend to do best when they keep changing elements.

Most classes can use two weapon sets, and change between them quickly. Elementalists can not, instead they change the element they’re attuned to. Fire tends to be higher damage, water has some heals, lightning has stuns and some movement stuff, earth tends to be damage over time and protection.

With that said, once you’ve actually gotten to the point of assigning traits, you may find that more of your traits help you when you’re attuned to just one element, such as fire, and therefore spend more time attuned to that. If so, then go for it!

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

2 years later my old GW clan is still alive and kicking,,, might be a fun journey ahead for me ….

New to GW2

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Elementalist will require swapping around your different elements a lot, they’re very good in groups as their ability to lay down fire fields and blast finishers are high to get good might stacking.

Any class is good in pve really, some may argue you need to be a beserker warrior really though they’re all good. I’d just play around with them all, even at level 1 you can go into the pvp area and see what they’re like at max level to get a decent feel for how things are.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

Been playing for a couple days now and kind of enjoying it.. I cant for the life of me get combat moves down yet. I am level 12 Norn Warrior and starting to run into a few harder monster types..

I can see this isn’t a point and click game and takes much more keyboard manipulation. I finally figured out how to Tab to the next monster but I cant find a way to make him engage unless Im right on top of them and and mouseclicking to attack.. Is there a better way ?? I seem to remember GW that youd call out the mob you wanted to attack Via tab then Spacebar ??

(edited by Hellswraith.6209)

New to GW2

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

You cannot make your character automatically run up to the enemy to attack if that’s what you mean.

It’s action based combat, you should be moving around constantly while attacking, Skill 1 is auto attack, if you target an enemy and get close enough and click 1 your character should continue to use that auto attack – but you do need to make sure that you stay close enough to the enemy.

If you’re finding that too frustrating then playing a range class like elementalist will work better since the combat dynamic will seem more familiar – stand at range, press 1 and your character will automatically keep attacking the selected enemy (of course you still need to cast other spells and move around to avoid getting hit).

The game is incredibly different to GW1, so in terms of gameplay and mechanics you should probably just forget everything you know and treat it as a completely separate game.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

You cannot make your character automatically run up to the enemy to attack if that’s what you mean.

Yea Im finding it rather difficult to adjust to as Im a Diablo franchise player and Im used to Mouse left click to attack…

New to GW2

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Mouse left doubleclick. GW1 vetern… This is so much better once you accept the differences as an improvement.

New to GW2

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Necros are really good in this game. Once you’ve killed enough enemies and have a large army your pretty much unstoppable in PvE unless you fight champions or higher.

Also, its good that your playing norn, they are big and thus have bigger range, especially good for melee classes.

If you was to go elementalist I’d suggest asura over slyvari they are smarter so there magic deals more damage.

A lot of speedruns are done with warriors so its a good thing your going warrior. Some dungeons like CoF P1 only require 1 Mesmer and 4 warriors for fastest run time, so you shouldn’t have any issues finding a group as a warrior.

One new thing to GW2 is jumping puzzles, bigger races do them better because they jump higher and they harder to fall due to them being bigger.

Don’t be concerned with size of race in PvE though, but in PvP and WvW a lot of people like to go small race just so they hard to click on. Bigger races are better in PvE. Better view, better range, jump higher, bigger is better.

Thing to note, engineers are pretty dull in PvE, I’d say most useless class in PvE but in PvP they are most dominating.

Funny fact, turret engies are really strong in PvP (real players have issues fighting turrets), but in PvE turret engies are weak (monsters go through your turrets like they paper).

I also had an issue with connecting my GW to GW2, never been resolved, and I hope someone helps you with that.

Oh and this game is kinda like D3, buy best gear off tp. No farming or grinding involved. I’d buy only magic gear that way you can resell if you are money conscious, exotic gear at 80 and after that don’t have to worry about upgrading unless you plan to play for a very long time where you can afford ascended gear (rich people gear, cant grind this gear out, if you got big pockets you can be the best, rewarding players playing game isn’t the thing here, been playing very long time, no legendaries, rich people… several legendaries… see theme here???)

Anyways, have fun GW2 is a great game, the pvp here you can jump right in and don’t have to worry about your gear and other things so give it a try as well… Also you can get exotic lvl 80 weapon easily through pvp as well and easy way to get transmute stones and other things very good reward system.

One last thing, for builds goto, http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki its pretty legit. (Doesn’t have any Skyhammer builds tho!)

Enjoy your GW2 experience!

New to GW2

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Necros are really good in this game. Once you’ve killed enough enemies and have a large army your pretty much unstoppable in PvE unless you fight champions or higher.

Also, its good that your playing norn, they are big and thus have bigger range, especially good for melee classes.

If you was to go elementalist I’d suggest asura over slyvari they are smarter so there magic deals more damage.

A lot of speedruns are done with warriors so its a good thing your going warrior. Some dungeons like CoF P1 only require 1 Mesmer and 4 warriors for fastest run time, so you shouldn’t have any issues finding a group as a warrior.

One new thing to GW2 is jumping puzzles, bigger races do them better because they jump higher and they harder to fall due to them being bigger.

Don’t be concerned with size of race in PvE though, but in PvP and WvW a lot of people like to go small race just so they hard to click on. Bigger races are better in PvE. Better view, better range, jump higher, bigger is better.

Thing to note, engineers are pretty dull in PvE, I’d say most useless class in PvE but in PvP they are most dominating.

Funny fact, turret engies are really strong in PvP (real players have issues fighting turrets), but in PvE turret engies are weak (monsters go through your turrets like they paper).

I also had an issue with connecting my GW to GW2, never been resolved, and I hope someone helps you with that.

Oh and this game is kinda like D3, buy best gear off tp. No farming or grinding involved. I’d buy only magic gear that way you can resell if you are money conscious, exotic gear at 80 and after that don’t have to worry about upgrading unless you plan to play for a very long time where you can afford ascended gear (rich people gear, cant grind this gear out, if you got big pockets you can be the best, rewarding players playing game isn’t the thing here, been playing very long time, no legendaries, rich people… several legendaries… see theme here???)

Anyways, have fun GW2 is a great game, the pvp here you can jump right in and don’t have to worry about your gear and other things so give it a try as well… Also you can get exotic lvl 80 weapon easily through pvp as well and easy way to get transmute stones and other things very good reward system.

One last thing, for builds goto, http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki its pretty legit. (Doesn’t have any Skyhammer builds tho!)

The blend of pure fabrication and truth in this post had me loling. Love it.

New to GW2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Don’t want to pick on everything in your post, but the size thing is just wrong. You don’t jump higher. Everyone has the same hit box. You don’t have a better range on a bigger size, and if you like jumping puzzles, big characters are often harder to jump with.

Just thought that should be clarified.

New to GW2

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol, there are so many things wrong with that ‘information’. I hope OP doesn’t fall for it.

Welcome to Tyria, OP, and happy adventuring!

New to GW2

DeathPanel.8362

Been playing for a couple days now and kind of enjoying it.. I cant for the life of me get combat moves down yet. I am level 12 Norn Warrior and starting to run into a few harder monster types..

I can see this isn’t a point and click game and takes much more keyboard manipulation. I finally figured out how to Tab to the next monster but I cant find a way to make him engage unless Im right on top of them and and mouseclicking to attack.. Is there a better way ?? I seem to remember GW that youd call out the mob you wanted to attack Via tab then Spacebar ??

You can still target with tab but for attacking you’ll actually have to press buttons.
Also just some hints since you are new:
You level up by exploring the world getting poi, waypoints, and vistas and doing heart quests/events. Start by exploring each newbie zone for each race, and work yourself up, occasionally doing your main story quest for chunks of experience.
Don’t bother killing mobs to try to level like in other mmos unless killing the mob gives you credit towards event.
If exploring isn’t your thing try to level by going to Edge of the Mists and following the commander doing events there. Make sure to join a party. Once you are around level 65 you can do all your story quests at once (assuming you skipped all the story quests) and that will get you to 80.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

New to GW2

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Don’t want to pick on everything in your post, but the size thing is just wrong. You don’t jump higher. Everyone has the same hit box. You don’t have a better range on a bigger size, and if you like jumping puzzles, big characters are often harder to jump with.

Just thought that should be clarified.

He’s trolling. He’s done it before. It’s quite funny.

New to GW2

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Because in opposite land….

New to GW2

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Questions I have is – what class build would you make to be successful in PvE as a newly made account starting with Zero Items or Resources as to not lose interest in the game and end up quitting. I was in a rather nice GW CLan (AKA)but they didn’t move over to GW2 unfortunately…

I think the two absolute easiest classes to level with are Warriors and Rangers. Guardians are a close second contender for Ranger’s spot. Grab yourself a Greatsword for any of the above, and whack away through PvE ( and your brain cells ) for a week or two until you hit cap.

If you’re bored from PvE, you can get items that boost your level by 1 from Reward Tracks in sPvP. Or, if you really, really, really hate your life, head to the Edge of the Mists and follow a commander around for a few hours to get level-appropriate rewards and experience, with the only requirement of pressing your “1” key.

Or you could just drop some cash on Gems, and convert them to gold and craft your way to 80.

New to GW2

Posted by: alccode.1297

alccode.1297

I would chime in here for Thiefs in PvE. Get a good 1H sword with pistol offhand and press “3” from beginning to end in PvE. GG.

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

OK I don’t get movement and attacking at all.. I mapped q w e r a s d , as my movement skills. I cannot for the life of me see how I can Move and Attack at the same time. I can run circles all day long around most obstacles, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attack and move at the same time.

What am I missing here ? I would personally like to figure out how to BIND move to left mouse and camera to right mouse but cant seem to do that either…

New to GW2

Hellswraith.6209

N/m didn’t realize I can use l/r mouse to move forward, that changes a lot of things for me… =)