New to GW2 Reward vrs Time

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raistlin.3210

Raistlin.3210

im reasonably new to GW2
i very much like the game
BUT i truly feel the rewards of the game DO NOT reflect the time spent to get them
and i mean this for every aspect of the game
fractals, pvp, dungeons, zone events (hot), achievements, raid ect
and especially legendary weapons
the amount of Time, or even RL money to make a legendary is disgusting mainly because its not a stat upgrade, its just a skin
i dont understand why there will be no more upgrades, and as much fun is the game is to play …this could be the thing that kills it

whats worse is the game’s only “upgrades” are purely cosmetic
and there isnt much to choose from btw
its just depressing
this game has TONS of potential but i fear A-net is blind to it

some suggestions i would offer up would be
1. make legendary items a upgrade to ascended gear (a sizable upgrade)
2. make mounts (other cosmetic stuff that could be used as rewards to make it feel like what youre doing is worth your time)
3. Make Lots more gear and weapon skins!
4. Remove restrictions on cosmetic system, so you can use the skin of any armor type (for more customization)
5. Stop making everything with butterfly wings, fairy dust, rainbows and flowers (there is clearly enough of this crap in the game )
6. Lower the amount of xp needed per mastery level
7. make an option to sub , and give monthly rewards to subs, plus make transmogrify free to subs

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

GW2 is well known for having a low reward vs time ratio.

If you are looking for a game that makes you feel adequately rewarded for the time you spend, GW2 isn’kitten

That said, I am a die hard GW2 fan. Then again, I’m not the kind of person who cares about rewards so much as gameplay and atmosphere.

But yea, GW2 does not reward proportionately in my opinion.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Raistlin.3210

Raistlin.3210

without adequate rewards , your basically running around in circles until you get sick of the game and never play it again.
which leads me to my question, does A-net not like money?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

This is how the game should be played, it shouldn’t be about gear, most of the game’s content is about fluff and skins. That’s how GW2 is, and this will probably never change. Changing this will just turn it into another gear treadmill MMORPG.

1. This will make it into a gear treadmill. ANet promised that they will never add a stat upgrade to ascended.
2 and 3. These are things that are good. I think many people want more stuff to work for ingame. Maybe not mounts, but any skins or fancy stuff that could be worked for as goals.
4. This will never happen.
6. You are supposed to work for your masteries for longer periods of times. I think alot of people are misunderstanding the system and want all masteries unlocked directly and therefore they hardcore farm it.
7. A sub option would just ruin the game. If this becomes a reality, it could be what breaks the game entirely. The majority of the community is heavily against a sub option that would grant special treatment.

Posted by: xgmz.5674

xgmz.5674

You have a good point. There are a lot of walls that stop players to do stuff with in the game, call them DR, time vs reward, etc.

But going for a sub its out of question. This is GW2, the sequel to GW, a non-sub “mmo”.

Masteries are the new levels of this xpac, like going from 1-80 in the original GW2, maybe it takes longer, but it’s not a shore to do, particularly if you rotate your activities.

Legendaries have something that outshine ascended, you can change stats on the fly; so even if they are at the same level of ascended weapons (and armor later), ascended gear is stuck at one stat combo.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

If you are looking for a game that makes you feel adequately rewarded for the time you spend, GW2 isn’kitten

That said, I am a die hard GW2 fan. Then again, I’m not the kind of person who cares about rewards so much as gameplay and atmosphere.

GW2 before HoT was pretty good at loot. Loot is very important to these games, even the old text adventures were about finding hidden treasure.

HoT changed all that. Now you have a lot of people telling us we shouldn’t enjoy loot and should just play the game for nothing and like it. To hell with those idiots.

There are plenty of games and devs out there that understand MMO design 101. The current crop of ANET devs are not part of that group.

HoT is garbage.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

without adequate rewards , your basically running around in circles until you get sick of the game and never play it again.

Since the game isn’t sub base but B2P, they got their money. But you have to understand that sexy stuff is designed to be acquired over months not days or weeks. A lot of disappointment comes from that.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

GW2 before HoT was pretty good at loot. Loot is very important to these games, even the old text adventures were about finding hidden treasure.

HoT changed all that. Now you have a lot of people telling us we shouldn’t enjoy loot and should just play the game for nothing and like it. To hell with those idiots.

There are plenty of games and devs out there that understand MMO design 101. The current crop of ANET devs are not part of that group.

HoT is garbage.

It was only about loot because we had 9 plus months of content drought because of the dev push on the expansion. That pushed more players into acquisition mode and that needs gold so key farms and dungeon speed runs got played by more and more players and it started to mess up the economy from ANet’s POV.

Key farms got nerfed to one a week and they finally but the dungeons out to pasture by reducing the big bag of gold in each path by 2/3rds. Yes, they messed up fractal rewards, it relied on RNGesus WAY to much to get a decent reward and they are fixing that sometime next month.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Since the game isn’t sub base but B2P, they got their money. But you have to understand that sexy stuff is designed to be acquired over months not days or weeks. A lot of disappointment comes from that.

Long term acquisition can be done right. It isn’t the time gate that’s the problem but the simple grind or temptation to spend real life money that is. In WoW there was a quest chain where you’d obtain a flameward hippogryph at the end, the quests themselves were reasonable and there were branching options, and the quests to open up that chain were fun (flying mount jousting, enough said) too. It wasn’t “Do this quest everyday for months and eventually you’ll get the item”. I’m sick of logging and mining just to save up the gold for the stuff I want.

Posted by: Grim Jr.8946

Grim Jr.8946

I find it funny that the game has been going on for well over 3 years with a sizeable player base ( not huge but enough )

then suddenly this newbie comes out of nowhere and says “the game is gonna die unless you give me this and this and do this”

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

the amount of Time, or even RL money to make a legendary is disgusting mainly because its not a stat upgrade, its just a skin
i dont understand why there will be no more upgrades, and as much fun is the game is to play …this could be the thing that kills it

whats worse is the game’s only “upgrades” are purely cosmetic
and there isnt much to choose from btw
its just depressing
this game has TONS of potential but i fear A-net is blind to it

I actually really like the legendary weapons are mostly just a cosmetic upgrade. They also have stat-switching, which is a great feature, but I can make a 50g ascended weapon without falling behind someone with a 3000g legendary.

Since I’ve been able to equip my main for significantly less than it would cost to buy a legendary, that frees me up to equip my alts, convert gold to gems, FILL MY POCKETS WITH ENDLESS TONICS, and all kinds of other things I enjoy doing. I might make a legendary eventually, but there’s very little pressure to do so.

Demand for legendary weapons is still enormous, even without a stat advantage.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

2. make mounts (other cosmetic stuff that could be used as rewards to make it feel like what youre doing is worth your time)
4. Remove restrictions on cosmetic system, so you can use the skin of any armor type (for more customization)
5. Stop making everything with butterfly wings, fairy dust, rainbows and flowers (there is clearly enough of this crap in the game )
7. make an option to sub , and give monthly rewards to subs, plus make transmogrify free to subs

1. No, power creep in MMO’s is NOT in a player’s best interest (power creep only helps those with more money than common sense).
2. I liked mounts in my last MMO and would love to see them in GW2 but they are not really needed and its an issue that has been beaten to death.
3. ummmmm….have you even looked at the wardrobe for GW2? More skins is not a bad idea but GW2 already has more skins than most games.
4. Most skins can be mix-matched already. There are only a small number that cant which, from my understanding, is a cost-benefit issue (Anet has better things to spend time/resources on than cutting every skin to match everyone other one considering how many freakin’ skins already exist.)
5. Everyone has different tastes. If you don’t like something, that is fine, don’t use it but why complain about it? (This might come as a shock but women play this game as well,… hell, I am a guy and I think its hilarious to kill players with flowers and unicorns).
6. I don’t like the amount of xp either but I am ok with it as every MMO needs time sinks. Besides, you get xp doing anything so it does not affect my game play anyways.
7. HELL NO. This would only further the divide between the “haves” and the “have-nots” which is never good for a gaming community and its longevity. If you personally want to spend more money for more/better stuff you can ALREADY do that. Just turn gems into gold and buy everything you want, no need for subs to achieve what you are suggesting :/

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Huh what? GW2 never had good loot! I love this game, but I bet I’m not the only one who regularly chuckled at the two blues and a green my character was rewarded with for risking his life to save the world again. :P

Loot in GW2 is a myth!

Posted by: Cyanchiv.2583

Cyanchiv.2583

im reasonably new to GW2

A few people responded on this but I’ll throw in my opinion as well.

1. I completely disagree with you on this. I feel Guild Wars 2 has a horizontal progression system, rather than the vertical progression I’ve seen in most MMOs I’ve tried. In vertical progression new armors and weapons come out with better stats than what was before it, giving the advantage to players who spend more time playing the game, or use real money, and leave others behind who always feel they are struggling to catch up with the meta. Playing catch up constantly isn’t fun, it’s a chore.
2. Mounts make sense for some games, with the waypoint system in Guild Wars 2 mounts are redundant. To me, however, the idea of having mounts in Guild Wars 2 is just silly. There are many things that exist right now that are great for customization, and personally I don’t care to see what I perceive as visually jarring or silly mounted creatures running through banks or city streets.
3. Yes I agree! Especially more skins that are not on the Black Lion or require tickets to get.
4. I both agree and disagree. I agree that it would open more potentially interesting cosmetic choices. I disagree because it would be awkward to see a thief, known for being light footed and acrobatic , to be flying around you in bulky heavy armor.
5. I know of a few items, with rainbows and flowers, but only a couple. Where does everything have these traits you seem to despise so much?
6. I disagree. Masteries, like everything else in an MMO, were meant to be gained over time of playing, not an instant 1 day achievement which gives you access to everything. That would be boring. However, you may be implying that masteries simply take a little too long to get, and, in that case, I may slightly agree. I feel that more activities should provide mastery experience rather than simply decrease how much experience is needed. Currently, for example, I feel fractals offer far too little experience, and I believe PvP should offer mastery experience.
7. Subs are obsolete. They once were necessary as server costs used to be incredibly excessive. Now server costs are so minuscule that even Blizzard puts a footnote on their publicly available financial budget sheet stating that the server costs are basically so small that the price isn’t even worth including. Subscription cost is almost pure profit, and won’t make a difference how much content, or what quality content, is being included in your game.
If you are looking for some sort of loyalty reward, you get those for logging daily, and for having a character for every year; you get rewards on the character’s birthday.
If you are looking for exclusive content that you can show off to the non subs, well, exclusive armors and weapons already exist.
Finally, I’m fairly neutral on the transmutation method. It’s far better than the system that used to exist in the game, and personally I have far more of those than I’ll ever use already. I feel the best option would be to allow each character to have multiple outfits that the player can switch between freely, but have required transmuting to put those outfits into place.

(edited by Cyanchiv.2583)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

7. A sub option would just ruin the game. If this becomes a reality, it could be what breaks the game entirely. The majority of the community is heavily against a sub option that would grant special treatment.

I am sure ANet is even more against that than most players.

It means spending money to reduce the company’s income. There is basically no way to justify that.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

There are quite a few businesses around the world that would like very much to hire these people, that’s for sure. Work all day for no pay.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

There are quite a few businesses around the world that would like very much to hire these people, that’s for sure. Work all day for no pay.

But I get all I ever want playing the game, working in real life I cant buy the house I want or the car or go on all the trips I want….. Please point me to all these buisnesses that can hire me so I can get all I want by just working there.

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

rewards feel fine to me most those ideas though like the cosmetics they cant remove restrictions this game is funded through the gem shops already cheap as hell as is they are not gonna hang them self by opening up more stuff .

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

yeah i dont see a sub for gw at all guildwars was founded on the whole sub free model putting a sub in now would be the end of the game plain and simple.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t understand this idea that playing an RPG (MMO or otherwise) is all about the items you get.

To me the point is to play the game – to do the quests or events or whatever, explore the world, go through the story etc. The items are simply tools to help you do that and provide some variety through character customisation.

One of the things I like about this game is that once I get to level 80 and get a set of exotics my gear is good enough for almost everything in the game so I don’t need to worry about it and can just get on with doing what I want.

Maybe it’s because I’m more used to single-player games where no one can see what equipment you’re using so you can’t even pretend that some random stranger might happen to care.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I can see how players from most other MMOs coming to GW2 would notice a lower reward system. I played several other MMOs before GW2 and found a bit of culture shock here.

I make way less money overall in GW2 than I did in all my other MMOs. In fact, I never had trouble making all the money I wanted in other games. But GW2 is different. It doesn’t work the same here, so I noticed a distinct difference.

At first, realizing that I wouldn’t be able to make money the way I was used to was not much fun. I guess you could say that, over the years, I’ve gotten used to it.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There is a game that caters for what you are asking for OP, actually there are probably a ton of them. Not to be rude but you came to the wrong one!

I am sure it has been said by someone else above me already but pretty much everything you dislike about this game is exactly what others like and why we play.

We don’t want a sub, we don’t want better stats on Legendary gear/new treadmills all the time, a lot of people don’t want mounts.

Wow, just wow. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

HoT is garbage.

It was only about loot because we had 9 plus months of content drought because of the dev push on the expansion. That pushed more players into acquisition mode and that needs gold so key farms and dungeon speed runs got played by more and more players and it started to mess up the economy from ANet’s POV.

Key farms got nerfed to one a week and they finally but the dungeons out to pasture by reducing the big bag of gold in each path by 2/3rds. Yes, they messed up fractal rewards, it relied on RNGesus WAY to much to get a decent reward and they are fixing that sometime next month.

These games are designed for treasure hunting. If there isn’t any treasure, then people will go to other games that have it.

Posted by: kyrie.8530

kyrie.8530

1. ive got alot of legendarys and even i think it would be bad to do this, mainly because ascended is hard to get for most players, and thats only a little better than exotic (weapon is quite a boost tho) but if legendary were better than ascended, then the rich with be stronger = P2W… worst idea ever imo

2. mounts could actually be nice to cross a big area faster. which is point less waiste of time running. as long as we could not use it in deunongs/raids/fractal

3. they are doing this all the time, there are countless of skins.

4. alright idea, as skins have no combat effect, they should also make us able to do just put some parts of an outfit on.

5. well, stuff for every taste i guess.

6. yea it’s too high, but anet wanted it to take months. ive alrdy got 162 pts, so not really that hard if u just farmed xp effectively for one day.

7. number 1. was actually not the worst idea ever, this would truly make it pay to win… what is wrong to you to suggest such a thing, the only people who would enjoy this, are people who are not good enough to play on the same terms as everyone else. (if u mean to get some stuff for paying every month). ((which there actually alrdy is, which is buying gems instead of using gold, to get extra bagslots/perma bank/perma merchant/infi mining tools and so on))

(edited by kyrie.8530)