New to game

New to game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aribenz.9340

aribenz.9340

Hello all,

I’m new to this game but not to the MMO World, I’ve played a few games competitive like Tera, Star Wars, Raiderz, Soul & Blade, Counter Strike, etc…. I would like to see if you guys can give some pointers on what class should i start, or perhaps whats the best class out there overall, for like solo and cooperative at the same time. I really like Elementalis, Necromancer and Thief. Can someone please explain to me which profession will be best and what race its better for it? Or any other input that may have will be gladly appreciated.

PS – Is there a guild i can join as well or i should venture on my own first?

New to game

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

There is no such thing as a best class or best profession or best race. Any race can play any class, there is no advantage/disadvantage. There is no Tank-Heal-DPS triangle.
So play whatever you think you would like, heck, start 3 characters and play 5 levels on each in turn then stick with the one you like best to go to lvl 80. Then level up the other ones too.

New to game

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

Thief was my first class and that was really fun. I also like the elementalist, they have a pretty steep learning curve, but nothing you can’t handle.

Remember, you can roll whatever class you want, get through the tutorial and test drive it in the PvP area (mists).

New to game

aribenz.9340

Thank you Anyandrell and Sarabande for your comments.

So basically no matter what route I decide to go i will be ok even if I do PVP with it? Since Anyandrell mention that there is no advantage/disadvantage. Im just checking since i dont want to screw myself and waste time on BS character.

New to game

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

All races are supposedly equal, but in a practical sense the taller races (Norn and Charr) sometimes have camera difficulties in cramped areas. Other than that, play whatever appeals to you. The only other differences are a couple of cultural Elite Skills, none of which really outshine any others.

PS – I never had any “steep learning curve” with Elementalist. But then again wizard-types have always been a personal favorite in most games.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

New to game

aribenz.9340

Understood, once again Thx for the replies. Lastly I have one more question, I’m on the east coast, what’s the closest server to me in in Washington DC. I want to join the right world

New to game

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

im from eu cant help you whit servers but i think they are all on same location so what ever you pick u still gonna have same ping

New to game

Posted by: henrock.3059

henrock.3059

I agree with everyone else; unless you’re hardcore, play whatever is fun for you. I personally love necromancer and guardian is quickly growing on me.

I’m not sure how much your server choice will affect your performance. I’m also in Washington DC and my home server is Blackgate.

If you’re looking for a guild, I could see if [MxR] has room for you. We’re really active, 100s of regulars, good mix of casual and hardcore, plus we do events and stuff. Send me a message in game (use that address next to my post).

New to game

Posted by: Stubie.5834

Stubie.5834

Your server won’t matter much because of the mega server tech. It only matters for wvw. Just pick a high pop one and you’ll be fine.

As far as classes go you can’t go wrong with any really. There will be the elitests that will not let necros in there dungeon runs because of the class design. Necro will be by far the easiest to solo but also by far the worst for optimal team play. I have an 80 necro and enjoy it a lot but understand its flaws when it comes to pve team play. Thief and ele both bring very high dps and group benefits. Ele probably more so. They’re also the higher skill lvl classes because of very low hp.

Good luck and welcome to gw2. Friend me in game if you need any help.

New to game

Posted by: Lucretia.8507

Lucretia.8507

Although I haven’t tried it myself since my ele is a sylvari, I’ve heard amazing things about eles using the human elite skill in wvw, so you might want to keep that in mind if you make an ele.

Turnip ~ altaholic
[PVP] Fort Aspenwood

New to game

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Understood, once again Thx for the replies. Lastly I have one more question, I’m on the east coast, what’s the closest server to me in in Washington DC. I want to join the right world

All of the US servers are in Austin TX, so it doesn’t matter which one you pick

New to game

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

If you havent already found your class, I strongly reccommend trying the Baker class. First of all have access to dual rolling pins is probably one of the highest dps weapon set ups available. Secondly, kneeding dough for food buffs is very time consuming and the Baker gets a -20% reduction in Kneeding time. This means you are able to crank out lots more dough for baking various food items to buff yourself and sell to other players. Lets not forget elite skills. The bakers dozen packs a punch, let me tell you. It’s a great aoe and cc skill that is very spammable provided you take the trait Dough Rae Me which in effect decreases cooldowns on all skills. If i havent yet sold you on this fabulous class, this will. As a Baker, you can consume twice the gluten as any other class without developing any pesky allergies. Not to mention you get to throw pizzas at your enemies that immediately apply the “full” condition which is great for slowing their movements giving you time to re-position for your next attack. One more thing, did I mention that every time you use that skill your character yells “YOU WANNA PIZZA ME?” Oh arenanet, youre so clever. TTFN!!!

New to game

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ele would probably be my first choice, but I’m biased Ele was my primary in gw1 and was my first class here as well. My ele and my mes are probably my main classes.

From my understanding, ele is useful in most areas of the game, from dungeons to pvp and wvw; however the class can be rather squishy to play. So if you do try it and have issues starting out, don’t let it frustrate you. Try sticking it out for a bit.

Necros are fun (I do love both of mine); however, people tend to feel they are under-par for acceptable damage and they tend to get discriminated against in some dungeon groups. Conditions in pvp, on the other hand, can be quite strong, and they can be popular in that area of the game.

I’m not very good with my theives, but they are also popular in general. Their stealth is handy in dungeons, as well as for hassling roamers in wvw. I believe the top pvp teams also run at least 1 thief in their set ups. However, like eles, they can be rather squishy.

So, it really just comes down to “try them, and see which you like best” as someone else said. They all have their pros and cons, and race won’t affect anything beyond what racial skills you get (I dont think people really use them “much” anyway), but my vote would probably go for human or asura.

Just my 2c

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

New to game

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

All NA worlds are in their datacenter in Texas. There is no “closest” for you. GW2 runs on a megaserver which means all servers play together in PvE. Worlds have no effect on PvE or PvP anymore. Worlds only have an effect on WvW and there can be a HUGE difference in worlds there. If it matters, do your research on the wiki and google. WvW is a large topic and without knowing your preferences we can’t really advise you on that.

New to game

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Hello all,

I’m new to this game but not to the MMO World, I’ve played a few games competitive like Tera, Star Wars, Raiderz, Soul & Blade, Counter Strike, etc…. I would like to see if you guys can give some pointers on what class should i start, or perhaps whats the best class out there overall, for like solo and cooperative at the same time. I really like Elementalis, Necromancer and Thief. Can someone please explain to me which profession will be best and what race its better for it? Or any other input that may have will be gladly appreciated.

PS – Is there a guild i can join as well or i should venture on my own first?

Race doesn’t matter
Racials can’t be used in spvp
If you plan to WvW try a t1 server…JQ =)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Fall_Tournament_2014
I have seen every class perform well with a skilled/experienced player behind it

If you haven’t already make one of each class, get them to lvl 2 or 3 (I forget), and you will receive a Heart of Mists unlock notification. Teleport there and your character will be boosted to 80 and you can check everything out before investing in that profession.
Heart of the Mists has free weapons vendor to check out each kind, target dummy,etc..
Repeat with every profession.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_the_Mists

Welcome on

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

New to game

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Welcome aboard . I’d start off with warrior or ranger. They are far more straight forward, and the learning curve isn’t too difficult. Guardian, thief, mesmer & necromancer sit in the middle. Fair bit to learn about them. Engineer along with the elementalist have a much stepper learning curve. But much rewarding in terms of play style. Which ever one you choose to play. Just enjoy the game.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

New to game

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Don’t listen to anyone but yourself. Play the class and spec you like, and check out metabattle.com for specs, especially when you check out pvp. Pretty much anything with a proper set up can work in most gamemodes unless you plan to take things really, really seriously.