New to the game but feels unfinished

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Evilgentleman.5463

Evilgentleman.5463

Ok I asked these on mmorpg.com but couldnt find out why these things are not addressed in a game 3years old.

Is it just me or does this game feel like it’s not a full finished game? Granted I am new but here are things I noticed as a new player that has me wonder why an expansion is coming out when the game out now doesn’t feel done.
1.Jeweler doesn’t go up to full level like all other crafting
2. Legendary weapons, two handed sword has three, but all others only have one when two handed swords arnt even the most used. (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon)
3.Most 5 mans are not skill based but just gear checks its all stack on each other and hope not to die. Whats the point of being ranged if in every 5 man being ranged is pointless?
4.No trading you can only use AH or mail
5.When doing world bosses you must get there at the same time as your guild or you wont be in the same map. Whats the point of it being a mmo if you can be locked out of a map that your friends are in for being one or two minutes late.

Like I said I am new, but I have played almost all the MMO’s out there and I have to say after all the hype I find the game to be kind of a let down end game. There is a big lacking in most parts outside of it’s story. They do the story very well, but SWTOR did it FAR better IMO.

So what is it I am missing that makes this game ready for an expansion, it hardly feels fully done to me. It seems like the lack of damage meter is just to hid the lack of balance in classes to me.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s not lacking; it’s just not the kind of MMO you are looking for.

Good luck.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Oh you sweet summer child. If you only knew ( and by that, I mean if you did any reasearch) you would know that answer to most, if not all of your questions. An expansion is overdue, that’s all you need to know.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Gw2 is actually very well done in many ways, and it definitely feels like a complete game… If you want incomplete on release try Destiny… All your points of “incomplete” are opinion, and have been answered in other posts, and information in the past. but heres a quick wrap up.

1.) Release crafting cap was 400, when ascended weapons and armor were added the cap was raise to 500. It’s not “incomplete”
2.) Great swords have 3… 2 individual one that is just made by combining the other two and some cheap junk… Also intended not “incomplete”
3.)Melee dps is higher, ranged dps is safer in some fights. That’s the trade off.
4.) Just use the AH, A-net has stated the reasoning behind no trading many times.
5.) Join one of your guild members parties; right click there icon; join in

The lack of damage meter is a WONDERFUL thing. Many players are happy without one, and GW2 is not like “most other” mmos.

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

1. They all used to be at 400 max, but with grandmaster crafting for ascended items, all but Jewelry and Cooking went up to 500. Atm, I don’t think they have planned anything for them but players speculate what they could do for the last 100 levels for both of those.

2.I think the greatswords was this type of collection (sun and stars based), so that explains why there are 3 skins for them. Also with the new expansion more legendary weapons are supposed to be coming but no word on them.

3.Melee damage is king. Yes all professions have ranged options but SaS (Stack and Smack) is the best strategy and goes the fastest so people do it so dungeons don’t take forever for those who have done them a lot of times.

4. Yes, it has been mentioned for a player to player option, but the Trading Post is there as a gold sink. It is a slightly safer way of getting money from other players but it is not fool proof, and Anet can’t even tell what items are on it.

5.Due to megaserver change, all the servers get into one pve zone and once a zone fills up, another one opens. It used to be server based but with declining numbers of people in pve (they used to feel almost empty) they added megaservers.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Other people have answered your points pretty well OP, but I wanted to point out that player to player trading is an intentional omission. It’s not in the game as a design decision. In Guild Wars 1, a lot of the scamming that went on happened in player to player tradiing. And again, tradiing in this game is a gold sink and a much needed one.

As for the guild filling up and not getting in with your guild. that’s the limitation of the technology in general. To simplify, you can get 150 people on a map. If a guild has 300 people, you can’t fit them all on a map.

Computers and servers aren’t fast enough to have 500 people on a map at one time, even though that’s the guild size.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

1. They use to, but we already have enough ways to get ascended jewelry we don’t need a crafting profession for it.
  2. The greatswords are all basically the same weapon, they’re just 2 sides of the same coin.
  3. Spoken like a true person who has never done a meta/speedclear run. Try to run a dungeon in all zerker without knowing how to play or having proper builds on. Tell me how that works out for you.
  4. No trading is by design, that way nobody cries that they were scammed.
  5. I will agree that megaserver has ruined the game, both the community and ability to get into the same maps as your friends.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) All crafting used to be to 400. They added 500 latter for some. We don,t know yet what will they do with Jewler and Chef. It’s not unfinished, just still evolving

2) How is that unfinished? They just put more GS because it’s a popular weapon. Anet kind of like gs a lot.

3) Gear check? This game is one of the less gear based mmo out there. Stacking on top of each other is a bad pug tactic. It’s easier but less efficient. Pug like it, good player don’t.

4) The trading post is use to remove gold and maintain the inflation. Make no sense to allow trading between players. That would hurt the game, even if some people would like just to no pay the tax. What they don’t get is that this way, their gold would value less. They would not be richer.

5) If the map is full what do you want Anet to do? Kick other ppl off the map to let ppl of your guild in? In normal situation this won’t happen, but when you do something popular and in limited time on one map, well yes of course the map you are in will full quickly.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

My take at your questions:

1. The lack of ascended jewelry crafting is due to them being a vital reward part of other content. Rings drop in – and can be bought with Fractal currency. Earrings are bought with Guild Mission currency and finally necklaces are bought with the daily login reward currency.

2. Maybe not optimal dps in all cases but great sword is a common weapon for four classes, probably why they wanted two with different colors for variation cause that’s all that seperate them. The third one is just an expensive gold sink combining the previous two.

3. Two years ago and beyond the responsible dev communicator had a lot of ideas they wanted to bring to dungeons. None of that happened and since then he’s been fired and nowadays ANET doesn’t even have a dev-team for dungeons.

4. This game has a weak economy with few things to use gold for apart from a few set of materials that serve as crafting components for everything. Of course there is also the longterm goals with precursors and legendaries. ANET simply need the gold drain from TP taxes to slow down player progress a little.

5. Another thing gone bad to have an ultra casual and non-instanced game. One probability around it is to be in the party with someone in the right map and keep trying to join them using that party menu command.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

2. Legendary weapons, two handed sword has three, but all others only have one when two handed swords arnt even the most used. (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon)
3.Most 5 mans are not skill based but just gear checks its all stack on each other and hope not to die. Whats the point of being ranged if in every 5 man being ranged is pointless?
5.When doing world bosses you must get there at the same time as your guild or you wont be in the same map. Whats the point of it being a mmo if you can be locked out of a map that your friends are in for being one or two minutes late.

1. Jeweler doesn’t go up because crafting disciplines for weapons and armor were updated for Ascended crafting. Prior to the existence of Ascended crafting, you could already get Ascended accessories with other things. Making Jeweler able to craft Ascended accessories would risk de-valuing those options, making them obsolete (chiefly Fractals).
  2. There have been talks about new Legendaries being added in the coming expansion. As for why they decided to put in more swords in the first place, who knows.
  3. Dungeons are not skill-based? Well that surprises me, considering that timing your dodges and whatnot takes skill. Different boss content (not necessarily dungeons) is something they are working on for the expansion.
  4. This is deliberate design choice, as any and all forms of player-to-player trading are prone to scamming.
  5. That’s one downside of a Megaserver. But think of the opposite: Guaranteeing a spot in a map just because you are in a guild isn’t exactly feasible. Where does the threshold go? Could you port into the same map just because you are in the same guild, regardless of how many people on the map currently are in the guild? What would happen when a map runs out of available slots? Would you kick existing players that are not in the guild? You can’t exactly make the limitations for map capacity be dynamic, since it would be trivial to break the system by having a small collection of people from multiple large guilds go to a map, thus enabling potentially thousands of people to move to the same instance of the map.

Like I said I am new, but I have played almost all the MMO’s out there and I have to say after all the hype I find the game to be kind of a let down end game. There is a big lacking in most parts outside of it’s story. They do the story very well, but SWTOR did it FAR better IMO.

My personal experience was that the “hype” about GW2 is not centered on dungeons nor gear. Rather, it’s centered on dynamic events and the lack of the tank-healer-dps trinity. In fact, the latter is one of the reasons I bought the game.

So what is it I am missing that makes this game ready for an expansion, it hardly feels fully done to me. It seems like the lack of damage meter is just to hid the lack of balance in classes to me.

Lack of a damage meter hides nothing. We already know the dps hierarchy of professions and have “optimal” builds for dungeons. The only thing a damage meter would add is the exact details, which are irrelevant to anything except kittens who want to use discrepancies in dps to boot people from their runs.

If anything, a damage meter would only obscure the details. You do not need a damage meter to time a run, which is all that matters. A DPS meter might “show” that some member of your team is only delivering 95% of the average dps, while being completely unable to point out in big, flashing letters that said deficit doesn’t meaningfully impact the duration of a single run. And don’t even try to say that people wouldn’t favor a dps number in favor of actual run times, I’ve spent my time dealing with dps numbers and have seen first hand how people use and misuse them.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Ok I asked these on mmorpg.com but couldnt find out why these things are not addressed in a game 3years old.

Is it just me or does this game feel like it’s not a full finished game? Granted I am new but here are things I noticed as a new player that has me wonder why an expansion is coming out when the game out now doesn’t feel done.

Level 400 was the maximum before they added Ascended crafting. You can get ascended accessory from Laurels, or Fractals dungeons or random drop from World boss chest or get lucky during special events. However, winning the lottery in real life would be easier if your chars RNG luck is no good.

Only Ranged you can use in dungeons is Staff Elementalist. (most of the time).

No trading because ANET doesn’t want to deal with scammers and frauds report that would flood their support section.

ANET doesn’t want players to steam roll the boss with 10000 players on a single map and the amount of load from the server would be too great that it will implode.

You really must be new. 2 handed sword warrior burst out the most DPS if equip,specs and traited correctly.

3) Gear check? This game is one of the less gear based mmo out there. Stacking on top of each other is a bad pug tactic. It’s easier but less efficient. Pug like it, good player don’t.

Stop lying. Many LFG have gear checks and stacking is rampant. Unless you have someone put an LFG “No stacking, no skipping”
I have to do my own LFG for dungeons. Because most are “zerker level 80 AP 10k/5k EXP Ping gear”
Not all are like that, but the majority are.

I know there are non stacking ways to do dungeons, but most good players do with their close knit in-game friends, you won’t see them doing LFG.

(edited by SirDrygan.1823)

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Stop lying. Many LFG have gear checks and stacking is rampant. Unless you have someone put an LFG “No stacking, no skipping”
I have to do my own LFG for dungeons. Because most are “zerker level 80 AP 10k/5k EXP Ping gear”

Stacking is pretty common, stated in the listing or not. Of all the things you listed from my experience zerker is the only one that is actually common… The AP thresholds you are describing seem pretty blown out of proportion. I’ve only seen one listing for more then 6k AP in all my time playing and I have never seen a group requiring 10k. Ping gear is also not that common, I might see it once or twice a day at most.

The most common listings are… 80 exp or 80 exp zerk + what ever path. Saying the majority of listings are asking for 5-10kAP and pinging gear is a massive exaggeration.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I know there are non stacking ways to do dungeons, but most good players do with their close knit in-game friends, you won’t see them doing LFG.

I’m not lying.

1) Stacking. What do you mean by that. Do you mean stacking on top on each other, on a corner, wall or not. Or do you just mean being all withing 300 range to be in melee and share boons. For me the first is stacking, the second is just keeping close to your team. Yup stacking is frequent in pug, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a good tactics. It’s an easy tactic that bad player use and that a lot of people that don’t need it keep doing it because it the way they always did it. That’s on FGS fiery rush fault. It was the best way for long enough that people have a hard time changing their habit. I’m an elistist jerk and I push every pug to stack only in a very few places where it’s a good strategy. I hate when ppl stack in a corner for alpha in CoE or thing like that.

2) I never ask for Zerker or Meta in my LFG. And I maybe joined 3-4 dungeon path in the last 3 years where the group actually ask me to ping my gear. Let’s see right now what is on the LFG .

AC :
All path, 80s
P2 (level 38) anyone welcome
AC P3 lvl80
P3 : all welcome: exp preferred

CM:
Story
P1, lv80, know the path, at barn

TA
F/u exp players

SE
P1/P3
P3 Speed 80s only

CoF
No LFG at this moment

HotW
P3 80s exp plz

CoE
P1 all welcom
Story

I didn’t list Arah because it’s mostly seller, story and ask for Tarr helper.

Weird. ZERO Zerker
ZERO ping gear
ZERO AP requirement

I’m not saying that they don’t exist because they do. But saying that the majority of them are like that is completly bullkitten.

Ok It took me like 5min until now to write. I have a TA Up/forward. 80s berserker’s LFG that just came up. And a p3 zerker, ping chest piece. CoF p1 exp 80s only zerker. CoE experienced zerk pls, all path.

So in the last 5min. 4 LFG was about zerker or ping gear on the 30 last LFG. That’s not a lot. That’s not the majority.

Level 80, experienced is pretty common. Zerker you can see it on a regular basis. AP and ping gear is SUPER rare.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Starting to see a trend with these recent threads.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

1. who cares? crafting is boring and unprofitable.
2. why do you even need 3 maces?
3. This game doesn’t have gear progression. The only progression comes from players learning to play better. Playing better means using the most risky builds (which in turn output the higher damage) succesfully. If you play ranged, you are definitely not using the most risky build.
4. I guess you can live with it? the ah use is forced so you dump 15% of your earnings there.
5. i don’t know how other games adress this. Most don’t even have world bosses.

Turning the table around, i don’t understand how other games don’t give you the option to send the loot directly to the bank, or why you are forced to spend hours travelling from A to B, or why there isn’t even a preview option for the gear, or why i can only use one weapon at a time, or why i cannot get credit or loot from a boss i helped to kill, etc etc etc

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

well, I´d say that´s an arbitrary decision about what things can be crafted and what not. I would not call that incomplete.

2. Legendary weapons, two handed sword has three, but all others only have one when two handed swords arnt even the most used.

yes, legendary weapon design is really lacking. GS users can be happy, many other weapon types have a very limited selection, some exclusively straight from My Little Pony Franchise.

Most 5 mans are not skill based but just gear checks its all stack on each other and hope not to die. Whats the point of being ranged if in every 5 man being ranged is pointless?

it is not “hoping not to die”, people actually have to use certain skills correctly. But it is a really lacking system, not unfinished, but a core design flaw. IMO the culprit is trying to go with “twitchy” combat, but not going the whole way.

Passionless about this. Maybe to prevent the major city chat spamming of GW1. Worked sufficiently for me.

that can be cured easily with some minor coordination, the tools for you guys are there.

That is a very harsh judgement, I wouldn´t go that far. But I agree, for me GW2 is all polish and no substance.

that is complete and utter nonsense.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Yup stacking is frequent in pug, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a good tactics. It’s an easy tactic that bad player use

It’s an easy tactic so everyone uses it.
Nothing to do with being good or bad.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Level 80, experienced is pretty common. Zerker you can see it on a regular basis. AP and ping gear is SUPER rare.

I’d just like to mention that although I agree with you those things are rare to see enumerated, what’s less rare is the people running those 80 exp groups who assume that “exp” automatically equals the zerker meta. There is a large portion of the community who genuinely seem to believe that it’s the only way to play, and that anyone “exp” is automatically going to be doing so. Not saying they’re right, or that they ask people to ping gear to prove it, but I would say it’s a fairly common assumption. Lots of those plain old 80 exp parties are also the ones where necros and rangers are likely to get kicked if they join, because after all, no “exp” player would try to take those classes in to a dungeon.

This isn’t an attack or argument, but I do think it’s necessary to clarify that these issues pop up in games that don’t have them as part of the description in LFG.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

Only because we have two player bases new players and the veterans. Vets dont want to waste time with the new players. It is totally understandable that the new players want to experiment with the game but I think they should just band together and play the game the way they want to.

PERSONAL RANT : READ LFGS and your life would be easier or JUST start your own

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I wouldn’t agree with “likely to get kicked” but I would ask what you think you are bringing to the dungeon run when you turn up with a necro or ranger. Not in a hostile manner.. maybe it’s your only toon but if you already know you’re most likely going to be not wanted.. why bring it?

I join tons of runs so I prefer speedy ones so I can get round as many as possible. Doesn’t really bother me that you turn up on your level 41 ele or a necro or a ranger or a thief (appreciate thieves in CM) but I main a guardian and would be unlikely to join a team of rangers/ele’s, I’d just wait for another team that was more war/guard heavy. I never join a LFG advertising for zerker or gear checks, I never kick anyone to form a specific team, I do state 80s exp when I start my own.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Tristan.5678

Tristan.5678

Obvious troll is so obvious …

About meta blahblah I as a necro melee 90 % of time because of Dagger heal and and Blood magic while so called meta 50 % of time I see ranged necro dagger by far is better than any ranged pewpew out there .

I did lvl 50 Fractal with veterans 20 k ap and we went smooth You know the Volcanic Fractal I allways melee it I’ve been in dozen and I never died Died once because was resing one veteran with 15 k ap or so while I had 1500 ap

Necro problem is that we have a little lower DPS but we have sustain that keeps us melee more than other classes also many newbiew necros are out there I’ve seen them that barely dps and major necro problem lack of party support buff

(edited by Tristan.5678)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I’d just like to mention that although I agree with you those things are rare to see enumerated, what’s less rare is the people running those 80 exp groups who assume that “exp” automatically equals the zerker meta.

Well when I first saw announces like “P1 exp” I assumed Exp = experienced. Not explorable which is redundant with the notion that it’s the “P1” that is done.

Of course experienced doesn’t mean “speed runner metazerk” but it kind of implies for me a minimal amount of effort to play the path optimally. Like not going full tank/heal build in the first place which we know isn’t optimal at all.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

While I agree that the game feels unfinished, I see the unfinished parts elsewhere:

1. Minigames are unfinished. Neither the shooting-booth in DR, nor the Polymock-Arena in Rata Sum are finished.
  2. Underwater content is unfinished. Many skills don’t have an underwater version and the choice in underwater weapons is so small that it often doesn’t exist at all.
  3. Many Hearts don’t work, are severely bugged or lack alternative options for progression when there are no enemies (Remember the heart where you have to catch barrels? How many did you ever catch?)
  4. Crafting once was finished. With the introduction of ascended crafting we’re still waiting for cook and jeweler to raise the cap to 500 and introduce some ascended jewelery and bufffood. No culinary application for bloodstone dust, he says. I'll show him. This bloodstone dust pot pie is already the talk of Tyria! Would you care to try it? (Sous-Chef Seimur Oxbone)
Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Absolute Ze Woah.1074

Absolute Ze Woah.1074

I’m sorry but if you don’t know how to get on the same map as your guildies, then you still have a lot to discover about the game, let alone endgame. Perhaps your feeling of unfinishedness is just ignorance.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

ya i feel its not coincidence

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

For the gearcheck .. its also a totally different thing when only some player want
you to ping your gear as if the game has build in tools where you can directly
see what a “gearscore” a player has.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Lol gear score…

people run full zerk want to see power/precision/ferocity and a power based rune, but they seldomly or never check the sigils, check for food or other things really adding to dps.

I run l80 exp with my zerker gear, I prefer ppl knowing what to do insted just being able to stand in the same place and press 1111111111111.

Many a zerk run doesn’t even stack might. leaving a lot to the PS, if he runs PS.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.