New trait system suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iki.4062

Iki.4062

Like most people, I despise what you did with the new trait unlocking system. I think its one of the stupidest things I’ve seen in mmos, and I’ve been around for a while.

Anyway, after trying to level my new warrior, I decided to quit trait hunting, and playing the warrior aswell because of it, when I moved on to the 4th trait on the power tree, which would have me “Defeat Rhendak the Crazed” to get a blue trait. Great.

What I suggest is for you, Anet, to have more than one way to get each trait. Instead of making me go to a kittened puzzle dungeon that requires a group to complete, or uncontest a temple, which requires a group to complete and the temple itself to be contested, and so on, why not, on top of that requirement, have other, optional ones?

You can either defeat Rhendak, get a crafting profession to 150, get 10 wvw ranks, or kill 50 people in spvp, or something along those lines. Dont just make me do some arbitrary and inconvenient task or pay some super inflated coin+skill point cost for it.

Give me options on how I unlock these godkitten things. Or was that whole thing about letting players play the way they want basically bullkitten?

We will see.

Anyway, my 2c on what could be done to at least prevent this whole wreck from crashing into a mountain.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I like the new system.

You do have options. Unlock via the activity for the skill or pay the coin/skill points. Sorry you don’t like the available options.

Suggestion: unlock just the traits you need as you level up then go through and collect them all once you get sufficiently high enough in levels.

Posted by: Iki.4062

Iki.4062

yeah but its not about being strong or weak for the challenges. its just that the challenges are downright annoying. have you been to the dungeon where that Rhendak kitten is? its a kitten to get to.

not to mention you’re basically not allowed to experiment with different builds anymore.

This is anet saying, “level our way, or quit”.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

You have the option of not doing the dungeon (or mini-dungeon) by paying coin & skill points.
(I’ve done all of the dungeons several times myself) The Flame Temple Tombs is hard but it’s a mini-dungeon, it’s supposed to be hard. Get some friends/guildmates/random pugs from the map and go through it together.

It is a cool system that stretches players into trying different content all over Tyria. It is like the skill hunts from GW1 and helps point players to content they might not find on their own (like the mini-dungeons).

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

There are only three real problems with the current trait system. That said, they are EXTREMELY annoying, one to the point of game-breaking.

1. No automatically-unlocked traits when you first get access to them, preventing players from fooling around/enjoying the trait system. It should probably unlock at least one adept trait of each row, if not all adept traits (Giving people something to slot into higher-level traits until they unlock appropriate tier traits. Then again, adept traits are dirt cheap, and this is actually the least of the complaints.
2. No trait progression on level-up. There are so many dead levels, that leveling is actually a bad thing (It makes your gear worse when you’re in an area that you’re down- or upscaled in).
3. The deal breaker is the trait gain rate – Nada until level 30, and trivial boosts until well into the 60s. You can’t do anything with your traits until you reach level 80.

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

I feel like it would sit better with me (and other players) if it had been in since launch. This just seems like a step backwards.

Being able to buy them in the menu would also be a mild convenience.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm