New "visual" improvements 12/1/2015

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seraphis Zurvan.6839

Seraphis Zurvan.6839

Hello!

I’ve been a guild wars 2 player since April 2014 and there has been one thing about this game I loved above many games; that is the visual effects mages have for their spells. Elementalist and Guardian appealed to me the most in particular, in which their visual “noise” makes them actually seem like they have an impact and additionally being visually appealing to the player.

The last two updates completely RUINED this effect they had. I’m on max graphics on a PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti and the Elementalist aura shields are LITERALLY a line surrounding them now. A colored…….line. The fireballs look like I am throwing a tiny ember at them. A guardian’s trap skills look like a beginner’s sculpted primitive on Second Life. What was the point of these graphical reductions being forced on everyone? Seriously?

For some, yes I understand it can be “noisy” and people do not like it, but force it on a majority of the community that wants such graphical noise to stay? Why are you trying to “improve” or “fix” what doesn’t need to be touched? In-fact, many of the visuals that were there before didn’t have enough noise at all in my opinion. A dust devil from California looks more visually appealing than Fire Tornado.

My solution would’ve been to add an option to the graphics menu to reduce visual noise that abilities have at will when the individual player wants, rather than force it on everyone. This would solve all complaints and problems, I can guarantee that. If you’re so for the community like you claim, then a simple fundamental change can be done to the graphics menu and add this option, then revert everything that has been undone already when it comes to reduction in visual noise. This way, people have options.

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

Welp, toss that to the pile of “I don’t like the visual nerf changes, please add a slider” threads.

Posted by: Seraphis Zurvan.6839

Seraphis Zurvan.6839

Welp, toss that to the pile of “I don’t like the visual nerf changes, please add a slider” threads.

The intent is to make ArenaNet KNOW that a good chunk of this community is unhappy. One or two won’t make an impact. The more there is, the more likely they will do something.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Hello!

I’ve been a guild wars 2 player since April 2014 and there has been one thing about this game I loved above many games; that is the visual effects mages have for their spells. Elementalist and Guardian appealed to me the most in particular, in which their visual “noise” makes them actually seem like they have an impact and additionally being visually appealing to the player.

The last two updates completely RUINED this effect they had. I’m on max graphics on a PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti and the Elementalist aura shields are LITERALLY a line surrounding them now. A colored…….line. The fireballs look like I am throwing a tiny ember at them. A guardian’s trap skills look like a beginner’s sculpted primitive on Second Life. What was the point of these graphical reductions being forced on everyone? Seriously?

For some, yes I understand it can be “noisy” and people do not like it, but force it on a majority of the community that wants such graphical noise to stay? Why are you trying to “improve” or “fix” what doesn’t need to be touched? In-fact, many of the visuals that were there before didn’t have enough noise at all in my opinion. A dust devil from California looks more visually appealing than Fire Tornado.

My solution would’ve been to add an option to the graphics menu to reduce visual noise that abilities have at will when the individual player wants, rather than force it on everyone. This would solve all complaints and problems, I can guarantee that. If you’re so for the community like you claim, then a simple fundamental change can be done to the graphics menu and add this option, then revert everything that has been undone already when it comes to reduction in visual noise. This way, people have options.

You have completely missed the point of the visual improvements.

Kudzu, Dreamer and Flameseeker Prophecies now have new effects added to them as of today.

You see, the reasoning works this way for devs:
Let’s replace the Auras with lesser effects to remove some visual clutter!
Let’s add new effects to some Legendaries to add some visual clutter!

See? this makes perfect sense.

Oh wait…

Posted by: ferdi.1452

ferdi.1452

Couldn’t agree more except for the title, should be:

New visual “improvements”

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

I don’t get it. They received overwhelmingly negative feedback last time they did it, and then they do it again. Their esports pipedream isn’t going to happen. It’s a saturated market as it is, and GW2 doesn’t measure up to other esport games in terms of competitive gameplay. Anet needs to stop neutering the game in the name of PvP (statistically the least played gamemode) and focus on the MMO aspects of GW2

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

I don’t get it. They received overwhelmingly negative feedback last time they did it, and then they do it again. Their esports pipedream isn’t going to happen. It’s a saturated market as it is, and GW2 doesn’t measure up to other esport games in terms of competitive gameplay. Anet needs to stop neutering the game in the name of PvP (statistically the least played gamemode) and focus on the MMO aspects of GW2

Anet does whats best for Anet, F the majority of the player base

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

What is really insulting is the lack of response from them.

You know, I find that odd, seeing as now that they have gotten HoT released, there was supposed to be more hands freed up so there would be more communication between the player base and the Devs. Seems to be at the same level or less than it was before release.

Did they fire half the staff after the project was done or something, or are they already working on the next one me wonders.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

agreed, i have a good comp, why are they nerfing my visuals just because someone else is determined to stick with their windows 98 piece of junk?!

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Anet does whats best for Anet, F the majority of the player base. – What’s bad for the player base is bad for Anet. They’re going to need to figure that out and act on it.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I strongly disagree. PvP balance is the most important thing an MMO can focus on. It’s only the least played for a couple of reasons. People are afraid of exposing themselves as utter noobs while PvP also cuts into farming time.

With that said I agree that the esport ambitions hurt the game somewhat (such as the fireball and other visual nerfs) and the game modes should have separate balance.

Posted by: Blessed.2198

Blessed.2198

I strongly disagree. PvP balance is the most important thing an MMO can focus on. It’s only the least played for a couple of reasons. People are afraid of exposing themselves as utter noobs while PvP also cuts into farming time.

With that said I agree that the esport ambitions hurt the game somewhat (such as the fireball and other visual nerfs) and the game modes should have separate balance.

I disagree. I enjoy PvP very much, I always have, but it’s impossible to balance an MMO. ArenaNet should be focusing on making the game enjoyable and fun, then you will see an influx of players in more game modes. These visual “improvements” will deter people from playing. Who wants to play a bland game? If I’m playing an Elementalist, I want my spells to feel like they hit hard, i.e., the old fireball effect, not a tiny ember. What I’m trying to say is that I want some oomph behind my spells and they achieved that when GW2 was released. Now spells are being changed 3 years later, and not for the better.

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

They should add options in game to choose to “full effects” or “lesser effects”. Then everyone would be happy.

Sorry for my english.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

A lot of people like to say that everyone needs to stop complaining and just give Anet the time it needs to sort everything out. I understand that fixing the myriad of problems in the game takes time. What bothers me the most is that Anet prioritizes fixing/changing the oddest things over game breaking problems.

A lot of critical progress blocking content still simply doesn’t work half the time and yet it looks like they’ve spent a lot of energy lately nerfing visual effects. Huh? Has anyone ever sat down to play GW2 and complained the game was too visually appealing and that it needs to be made bland? Did I miss that post?

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Has anyone ever sat down to play GW2 and complained the game was too visually appealing and that it needs to be made bland? Did I miss that post? – Made me laugh out loud. Actually, the theory is that this is for ESports spectators. But Anet hasn’t commented,(that I’ve seen) so we don’t know for sure why they’re nerfing graphics.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Everyone that works at Arena Net is mentally inept. I hope that answers your question.

:P I was trying to be less insulting, but it can seem that way.

I think only a handful of people would respond to a post that directly insults them >>

Posted by: SquashingFrogs.7358

SquashingFrogs.7358

They shouldn’t be touching the Spell FX at all, not without some prior implementation of a slider so that we can choose what level of detail we want.

Most of the visual nerfs seem to be targetting Spells people actually like the look of for me personally the Mortar F1 Skill hurt the most Oribtal Strike used to look impressive now it looks a fishing line just fell out of thin air.

Elementalist fireballs being shrunk makes no sense at all in no world can something so small and inconsistant cause any kind of visual impairment.

The nerf to Necromancer Shroud 5 has really irritated me in no way did it Impede vision at all and now it is just a flat icefield with no particles at all. 100% of the reason i went back to maining my Necromancer was because it was Extremely Visually appealing and now i’m going to get to watch them sap all the eye candy out of it.

With the cash cow outfits in the BLTP the lack of armor sets being added in HoT’s and Sweeping visual nerfs and failure to balance the game i don’t think A-NET is heading in a good direction everything seems to be about nickle and diming players with poor micro transactions [Outfits >.>] and trying to turn GW2 into an Esport….

Hopefully they will make a U turn and start adding features the community wants.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Wouldn’t giving us an option to turn off effects in our options menu, or only see our effects solve this issue? Like even if they kept legendary effects, it would still be much better.

Posted by: Taigen Raine.8752

Taigen Raine.8752

I was actually on voice chat with friends the first time I used reaper 5 on an ogre champ. They were like “[Expletives deleted]!, You just totally froze that guy, that was so awesome! I can’t wait to get reaper form!” Sadly, now he never will get to have such an awesome experience because the devs seem dedicated to completely ruining the game.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

A lot of people like to say that everyone needs to stop complaining and just give Anet the time it needs to sort everything out. I understand that fixing the myriad of problems in the game takes time. What bothers me the most is that Anet prioritizes fixing/changing the oddest things over game breaking problems.

A lot of critical progress blocking content still simply doesn’t work half the time and yet it looks like they’ve spent a lot of energy lately nerfing visual effects. Huh? Has anyone ever sat down to play GW2 and complained the game was too visually appealing and that it needs to be made bland? Did I miss that post?

It was done to make tells less obstructed in PvP, and is a much easier problem to solve than intricate balancing. I think the full effects should stay in PvE however.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What is really insulting is the lack of response from them.

You know, I find that odd, seeing as now that they have gotten HoT released, there was supposed to be more hands freed up so there would be more communication between the player base and the Devs. Seems to be at the same level or less than it was before release.

Did they fire half the staff after the project was done or something, or are they already working on the next one me wonders.

Nah, they just don’t need to speak to us anymore. After all, we have already bought the expansion.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: fearscream.4057

fearscream.4057

I think that – even if cool – new skills effects were initially too heavy and need “nerf”.
In www fps fall down when a lot of people spam them but now…this is really ridiculous!

The new auras can be barely seen and create a lot of problems in a competitive game mode like pvp or www.

What are you doing Anet? These changes are really nosense.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Anet does whats best for Anet, F the majority of the player base

I have to agree, this is how it is starting to feel.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

I was actually on voice chat with friends the first time I used reaper 5 on an ogre champ. They were like “[Expletives deleted]!, You just totally froze that guy, that was so awesome! I can’t wait to get reaper form!” Sadly, now he never will get to have such an awesome experience because the devs seem dedicated to completely ruining the game.

I was hoping to escape the visual nerfs by playing other professions except my ele, but I should have known better. The entire game is getting these forced changes.