New weapon types and future elite specs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Since release, the number of available weapon types hasn’t changed: 16 for land, and 3 for underwater. Weapon availability across professions didn’t change either, until Heart of Thorns and the introduction of elite specializations.

One of the distinct attributes of elite specializations is the addition of one new weapon proficiency for each profession. The first generation did kinda fine. The second, though, I start to be worried. The third, I’m scared.

Why? Just check this table yourself: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon#Weapon_usability_by_professions

Some professions just have nowhere to go, specially the warrior, with the guardian following close. Yeah, we could make like, staff warrior, or pistol guardian. Anything is possible, but that doesn’t mean it won’t feel cheap, or even lame.

There’s a big “cool factor” and “new toy” aspects with the new weapon proficiencies elite specializations provide, which directly impact sales as well. The new combinations must be cool, and not feel like excuses to fill a quota.

So, do we need new weapon types? I do think so, and the earlier the better. The second generation should include them already. If they are introduced too late, we’ll face situations where the same weapon is introduced multiple times in a single generation, which would lead to a loss of variety.

There’s many weapon types out there, and I’m sure I’m missing some. I included all that I know of here below, divided in three priority categories, by how hard they would be to implement correctly, and specially, letting each one feel unique enough.

Top priority

There’s three underwater weapons, that can’t be used at land. They already have a long list of completed art assets, and adapting them for land would take less work than making new weapon types from scratch.

These are:

• Spear: Could be adapted for main-hand and off-hand usage.
  • Harpoon gun: Doesn’t make a lot of sense at land, but some of the simplest existing skins, as well as future skins, could be adapted to depict crossbows instead.
  • Trident: With the spear being one-handed, the trident would remain relevant as a two-handed longspear of sorts.

Secondary priority

Adapting the underwater weapons is a quick solution, with most of the art already existing, but they lack the novelty factor. We need brand new weapon types too, ones with new models designed from scratch, requiring a higher amount of work. However, we can still focus on existing character animations to save even more development time.

My selection would be:

• Greataxe: A two-handed axe, a classic RPG weapon. We see enemies wielding them ingame, and we also have it available in [toy form](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Executioner_Axe_Toy). Most greatsword and hammer animations would work well with it.
  • Vial: An off-hand liquid container, anything form a mug to a potion, acting as a secondary focus for non-scholars, or the water version of the torch. The character would use it by drinking from it, spilling its contents, or throwing it away, animations that are all already ingame.
  • Scythe: A two-handed elongated curved blade polearm. A classic weapon from Guild Wars 1, the only one that hasn’t made it into the sequel as its own weapon type, though it can be found as staff skins. The new staff animations for revenant and thief would work fine for it.

Lowest priority

These weapons would require the most work, and have themes that could easily overlap with other existing weapons, and don’t let them stand on their own. They’re still worth mentioning, for they could make it into the game as kits, or alternate skins for existing weapon types.

A few ideas:

• Flail: One-handed mace variation, with the head connected to the pole with a chain. Wouldn’t necessarily require new animations, but would require a physics study so that the ball moves to the right speed according with the attack animations, feeling heavy, and hitting when it should.
  • Musical instruments: Too specific and exclusive for minor profession roles. Would require new animations depending on the instrument. Logical choice would be a harp or a lute, both which already exist as musical toys. Could work very well if done right, but would still require a lot of work.
  • Long shield: Off-hand larger version of the shield we have now. Could be interesting to provide additional shield skills, but skin-wise current shields already cover too many shapes and forms.
  • Saber: One-handed curved blade alternate to the sword. Its only problem is that it could overlap with swords too much, leaving it with no room to shine on its own.
  • Whip: Off-hand medium-range leather weapon, already seen ingame, used by enemies. Could provide interesting weapon skills. However, it would require new animations, specific to each weapon for its unfolding properties. Also, some weapon and utility skills already have whip-like abilities as well.
  • Book / Orb: Off-hand or two-handed focus variation, which would use a new custom animation where the user carries the opened book on his hand when in combat. Cool for visuals, but kinda redundant with the focus already there.
  • Throwing weapons: One-handed javelins, axes, or daggers, specifically designed to be thrown. Their only problem is redundancy with their non-throwable versions, which are used as throwable by some professions anyway, as well as multiple utility skills.
  • Fist weapon: One-handed knuckles and other similar weaponry. Would require new animations, and role could overlap with daggers or utilities.
  • Polearm: Two-handed bladed spear. Redundancy with spears (and scythes) could be too high. There’s some existing polearm skins too, right now under the spear family.
  • Blowpipe / Sling: Ranged weapons, could prove interesting, but lack uniqueness beyond their animations, overlapping with most of the already existing ranged weapons.
  • Bo: Combat staff. Redundant now that classic staff fills its role, including bo skins.
  • Additional firearms: Shotguns, machine guns, and even heavy cannons. Lot of uniqueness potential, but lack of matching themes outside engineer and warrior.
  • Martial weapons: Nunchakus, shurikens, etc. They require some high mobility, so they wouldn’t make too much sense outside of thief, and their roles and themes can be found in other weapon and utility skills.

So this looks like it. What’s your opinion? Do we need new weapon types? If so, how many, and which? Or maybe you think it’s fine with the current numbers, if so why?

I think this needs to be addressed by the community early on in the second expansion development cycle, whatever is the final decision. So, let’s talk.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

(edited by Lonami.2987)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They might have to start making new weapons eventually. But maybe what they’ll do instead is make an elite spec that gives an old weapon new skills. Maybe even have the new skills on weapon swap so you could have (for example) a greatsword warrior with the old set of skills and a new set upon swap. More likely though, both sets couldn’t be used in one build but this is something they might do instead of making brand new weapons with brand new skills.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Lonami.2987

They might have to start making new weapons eventually. But maybe what they’ll do instead is make an elite spec that gives an old weapon new skills. Maybe even have the new skills on weapon swap so you could have (for example) a greatsword warrior with the old set of skills and a new set upon swap. More likely though, both sets couldn’t be used in one build but this is something they might do instead of making brand new weapons with brand new skills.

That’s a logic alternative, but lacks the “cool factor of adding new toys”, and could also make lovers of the old skills angry, specially if they can’t be switched off.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

Some new weapons might be interesting, but I don’t think they’re urgently needed.

One important thing you’re overlooking is that with weapons tied to the elite spec, it may be possible for a class to repeat e.g. a new warrior elite spec might also use torch, but with different skills 4 & 5 from berserker. They’ve already shown some innovation in how weapons can be used in unexpected ways by some classes (e.g. Mesmer and Revenant being able to use greatsword and hammer respectively as ranged weapons) so having the same weapon twice for a class wouldn’t necessarily mean the two elite specs feel too similar.

Posted by: keelaunaw.3285

keelaunaw.3285

im a ranger. i refuse to be forced to relearn a totally different class to use a laser shooting stick and constantly heal, so i have only used some druid skills to enhance my bow. they should have given the dragonhunter bow skills to ranger. apparently anet wants rangers to all become bunker druids. i will quit before i do that. there was clearly not much forethought into these elite skills, as 3 of them are staffs. seriously anet, you couldnt have made one of them fist weapons? or psionic/mind spells weapons only with hands? or even ninja/karate skills?

the more i see about this game and how its being put together the less i want to play it. get your act together anet.

Never got bored with an MMO faster than GW2. Took 4mos.

Posted by: Christina.7926

Christina.7926

There’s three underwater weapons, that can’t be used at land. They already have a long list of completed art assets, and adapting them for land would take less work than making new weapon types from scratch.

These are:

• Spear: Could be adapted for main-hand and off-hand usage.
  • Harpoon gun: Doesn’t make a lot of sense at land, but some of the simplest existing skins, as well as future skins, could be adapted to depict crossbows instead.
  • Trident: With the spear being one-handed, the trident would remain relevant as a two-handed longspear of sorts.

I’ve been wanting a spear-wielding warrior/guardian on land ever since elite specs were announced.

A heavy wielding a terrestrial spear in one hand and an awesome shield in the other and call it Phalanx. I would die of happiness, and it would finally make use of the spear and other aquatic joke legendaries that actually do have some sweet skins.

Also, I’m completely on board with new weps on the whole – a great axe would be amazing – but I’ll settle for possibly cycling some of those aquatics to land first.

Bump fixing the Monk Outfit?

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I personally hope, that Anet finally shows us with the second Expansion, that they are also able to greatly improve this Game with longtime wished for features and gameplay mechanics, that are way too long overdue for this game to happen and to be implemented.

This includes for me the following things:

1) Addition of completely new Weapon types. This is an absolute must to happen now, because the Warrior is totally running out of possible Weapon Options for futurous Elite Specializations, because everythign thats left for the Warrior are Staff, Scepter, Focus, Dagger, Shortbow & Pistol and absolutely nothing of these things would make sense to give the Warrior for an Elite Specialization.
It would make much more sense to give the Warrior for upcoming new Elite Specializations completely new Weapon types, that A) make much more sense and would be for this class alot more innovative and would add alot more in general to the class, than to recycle more of the already existing weapons into the Warrior’s Weapon kitten nal.
Weapons like Greataxes, Halberds (Polearms), Tower Shields (Bigger offensive MH Shields) and Flails (Morning Stars), >> THAT are Weapon Types, which someone would expect from a Warrior – a Soldier Class to use in battles <<

They need to show finaly after those 4 years, that they are as a development team competent enough to add also completely new Weapon Types to this game and if not with the introduction of an new Elite Specialization – god please – WHEN THEN??? How many years do we have to wait more, if not now finally with the next expansion they are working on right now?
If they don’t bring with the next expansion also new weapon types to the game, I hardly have to believe, that this development team isn’t competent enough to do so with this game and its engine anymore before this game reaches ints end of its lifespan and it starts to become more realistically, that we might see more diversive weapon choices rather somewhen in the future, if this game eventually sees a Guild Wars 3 or a completely new Game Franchise after it …

2) They need to show us finally also, that they are able to add completely new playable races and are competent enough to do that – again the next upcoming expansion is again a great chance to do that – its long overdue and there are perfect candidates standing in the line to get ready to become playable races – especially long overdue are the Tengus, as they were already in the past considered to be a playable race – so whats Naet takign so freaking long to bring out finally a narrative story, that makes Tengus finally a playable race, when absolutely everythign whats needed for a playable race already exists for the Tengus – I mean, how freaking long does anet want to hide them behind their own “Bird Cage” that is the dominion of the winds with its huge walls? Must first primordus get up from the undergroudn end destroy their hideout do that they finally join us to defeat the dragons or what in hell must happen first, that they finally se in, that its better for them and their folks to get out of their self made bird cage!!? Then theres the Largos, which would be a perfect candidate for becoming redesigned and added as playable race for when Anet makes an expansions agaisnt the deep see dragon and a complete redesign and rebalancing of the whole underwater gameplay of this game, which sucks since game release date 2012 and hasn’t since then ever been overlooked and changed – instead anet kept on removing their own game content and dumbed their own game down to the point, that all underwater gameplay became totally obsolete and pointless, because they didn’t put any focus on that stuff of the game to fix it, because Anet had other plans with the game and focused themself on way too many other things that were abkittenely not as much as important, than to imo save one of the biggest selling points of this game and instead abandonding it completely since release date like they did and still do until today!

The 3 weapon concept of underwater gameplay is GARBAGE, it offers absolutely NO build diversity as like which you have on land combat where you can use alot more different weapon types per each class.
Not to mention, that two of the 3 underwater weapons could easily get merged basically with land weapons in regard of equiment and share with each other the weapon skins…

Tridents could easily get merged with Staves and share with each other the skins.
Adding Trident as own eapon type is completely pointless, the same Job could do Staves and Tridents could easily be just different Staff Skins!!!

Harpoon Guns could easily be merged with Rifles… hey the game has rifles, that look like super futuristic laser guns that absolutely don’t fit to the lore behind these rifle weapons that are based on FREAKING BLACK POWDER technology
we have pistols, that look like laser guns from Star Wars – see H.O.P.E and we seriously have problems with rifles beign used under water, when we have such unnatural lore unfittign things like these in the game and many many other weird things, that basically make no sense at all?? Give me a break …
ANet should just merge Harpoon Guns with Rifles and make Harpoon Guns just skins, these thigns are just another completely useless weapon type that shuld have NEVER existed, with that ANet increased just themself their work for makign weapon type exlusive weapon skins rolleyes

The Spear should have been from begin on a HYBRID weapon, which should have been useable from begin on on land as like underwater … hell, Anet even had at the beginning at some time plans for giving the game polearm weapons in early design phases of the game, but then whyever the removed all of it and made out of them just underwater weapons /facepalm – absolutely not understandable. Would it have been soo much more work to make Spears a Land/Water Hybrid Weapon? I think not …
—-

New Weapon Types and New Playable races are in fact just the tip of the iceberg of long wished new features… not to mention other things as like

- adding finally a Build Template System to make it possible to change fast and comfortable betwene multiple saved up builds of your Characters, without having to have to click tons of things first, without havign to waste inventory space for thign,s that could be saved in your Build Template like multiple different armor sets

- making it finally possible to adjust more the UI and adding in general improvements to the UI that are Quality of Life improvements and make thigns more accessible, easier to handle, safe time ect, reduce grind, reduce clicking spam and so on pp.

- adding missing features finally that should be in the game sicne release date, like Polymok, Target Shooting and Bar Brawls inclusive their achievements and other minigames that were planned to make all towns places, that players want to keep revisiting, that make the individual towns unique and fun… theres now this new Basket Brawl …nice to see, but still again wasted time, that rather coudl have been spend to bring us finally Polymok instead or to bring back finally Bar Brawls instead as the achievements for them basically already exist, but the game itself sadly never got implemented!!!!!

If they give wioth the second expansion just the next set of Elite Specializations just again only recylced already existign weapons, this would be totally disappointing.
At least 2 new weapon types shoulds be in – and I’d go for Polearms & Whips, because in my opinion would improve these two weapon types in overall seen over all classes the most the combat gameplay of GW2 as both of them are mid range weapons with longer ranges than clear melee weapons, but shorter range than pistols/shortbows… the game needs that kind of like 300-450 unit range weapon as the game has so far nothing, that fills up this gap of weapon type….

We have only short range weapons for direct melee combat ranging around 180 units in rang,e or directly ranged weapons with 900-1200 range, but we have absolutely nothign that is in between of that range gap !! with a range logner than direct melee weapons but shorter than ranged weapons and I thign for the combat balance of this game is it the best to finally add mid range weapons, and for that job would be Polearms and Whips the absolute best choice to add.

Thats the type of Seconf Elite Specialization Set I want to see getting added with a mixture between new Weapons and existing Weapons:

Warrior > Partizan > Polearm
Guardian > Inquisitor > Polearm
Revenant > Crusader > Warhorn (Rurik based)
—-
Ranger > Beastlord > Whip
Thief > Rogue > Whip
Engineer > Alchemist > Axes
—-
Elementalist > Arcanist > Sword
Necromancer > Occultist > Torch
Mesmer > Bard > Shortbow (inclusive Shortbow Harp Skin as its Specialization Skin for the Weapon)

This way would receive the next expansion a good mixture between new weapons beign added within new Elite Specializations and some of them getting fitting existing weapons, whiel those with existing weapons are spread among as many different weapons as possible, no repeats.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I hope all classes get access to existing weapons before they add new ones.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Thief > Rogue > Whip

Instead of “rogue”, call it “Raider”, in reference to Indiana Jones. :P

As for Halberds, Spears can do that job, since they already have Halberd skins mixed into them, unless of course ANet changes that and separates Halberd skins into their own type of weapon and let spears hold the spear-like skins.

Although there are also glaive skins in spears…

On other thought Shield+Spear sounds nice, Guardian Phalanx and Warrior Hoblite (both sound more like short range party buffing themselves and party members depending on distance between players, although I have to say that Guardians already have “Phalanx” like qualities already), although the Spear could still remain as two-handed, Guardian Inquisitor and Warrior Partisan or Warrior Sentinel.

Scythes, a part magical and martial weapon, I really hoped that the Reaper could have had it, Current Reaper would probably be a Dark Knight instead.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Lonami.2987

I also think that core professions could have some new weapon proficiencies as well, to give them a stronger foundation for future elite specializations, like giving additional support and ranged options, basic roles that should be available at core and not restricted to elite specs. Would be a good way to add some long-wanted weapons that would be lame if unlocked through elite specs too, like ranger main-hand dagger, thief off-hand sword, mesmer main-hand pistol, etc, and also to introduce the new weapons outside elite specs.

I made a small table showing some possible future elite specialization combinations if those 6 weapons I described above were part of the game:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Lon-ami/Elite_specialization

Yellow marks are for “core profession unlocks”, and profession icons for elite specialization unlocks. I also made sure not to abuse off-hand for elite specs, and that every weapon can be used by at least 4 professions.

I hope all classes get access to existing weapons before they add new ones.

That is unlikely. Not only some weapons don’t make sense on some professions, but then we don’t have enough purposes to give to each weapon skill set.

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

BATTLE FAN! Please!

Professions that could use it would include: Mesmer, Necro, Thief, Warrior, Guard, Ele

Dancer
Ritualist/Animist
Courtesan
Samurai
Visionary
Magister/Magus

Lonami.2987

Some new specialization ideas including the new weapon types:

Elementalist – Dervish

Based on the GW1 profession, strengthening the element themes and leaving aside the human gods.

• New weapon: Scythe (2H)
  • New utilities: Prayers (Similar to mesmer mantras and Glint’s facets, provide a passive effect on activation, as well as a new skill, that if used removes the passive effect)
  • New mechanic: Attunement-based transformations into djinns

Mesmer – Minstrel

A musician, using illusory musical instruments to wreak havoc into his enemies.

• New weapon: Shortbow (2H)
  • New utilities: Kits (Musical instruments)
  • New mechanic: Shatter skill providing quickness

Necromancer – Apothecary

A crazy scientist, wearing a plague doctor mask, using explosives and poisons with unpredictable effects.

• New weapon: Vial (OH)
  • New utilities: Elixirs
  • New mechanic: Plague Shroud

Engineer – Golemancer

Based on asura technology, can use a personal golem suit, which changes skills 1-5, but leaves skills 6-0 active, letting you equip kits while in golem form.

• New weapon: Scepter (MH)
  • New utilities: Glyphs (Summoning different types of golem minions)
  • New mechanic: Transformation into a golem (Changes glyph effects to self-buffs instead of summoning minions)

Ranger – Marksman

A cold-blooded bounty hunter, silent, relentless, and unforgiving. Expert on ambushing his enemies, and removing stealth. He applies venom to his attacks, letting his pet track his victims easily.

• New weapon: Crossbow (2H)
  • New utilities: Venoms
  • New mechanic: Camouflage (Stows pet and becomes invisible but can’t move, takes 1 second to be able to move and attack once you reveal yourself)

Thief – Sharpshooter

A sniper operative, focusing on long-range combat. Deals more damage to enemies he targets with his gadgets.

• New weapon: Rifle (2H)
  • New utilities: Gadgets
  • New mechanic: Overheat (Temporarily increases initiative regeneration for a faster attack rate, and then stops regenerating it for a few seconds)

Guardian – Archivist

A keeper of lore, loses mobility but gains powerful abilities when using tomes, which replace the three existing virtues.

• New weapon: Greataxe (2H)
  • New utilities: Wells
  • New mechanic: Tomes (Work like kits and conjures)

Revenant – Hierophant

Based on Flame Legion magic, and the legend of the first Imperator of the shaman caste. The power of dark fire and the Searing is now in your hands.

• New weapon: Torch (OH)
  • New utilities: Flame Legion legend
  • New mechanic: Relics (Pet-like minions, can’t be destroyed, but conditions affect them)
  • Dwarf relic: Tome of the Rubicon
  • Centaur relic: Ventari’s Tablet (Which would be removed from the core profession, making its original spells caster-based instead)
  • Demon relic: The Apocrypha
  • Flame Legion relic: Searing Cauldron
  • Assassin relic: Shiro’ken Blades

Warrior – Gladiator

A dirty fighter, a brawler with no honor that delights in humiliating his enemies, using the terrain to his advantage.

• New weapon: Trident (2H)
  • New utilities: Tricks
  • New mechanic: Improvisation (Similar to thief stolen skills, when used the warrior takes something from the ground, gaining a random skill)

Opinions? As you see, having new weapon types brings more variety and options for future elite specializations.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I like all of these options, well done. It seems to me that the major sticking point in all of this has been the issue of balance and to be honest I think that is what has held them back from adding more to the current game. That said they are well crafted ideas I mean if you think about it the greatest warriors in history were the Spartans and what did they wield, shield and spear / trident.

As far as the underwater weapons I have always believed there would be more of these added when they expand underwater combat for the water dragon.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

mesmer should just borrow from spellslinger from wildstar, it has great skills and the games already borrow from each other. mainhand pistol on mesmer done properly could give some serious wow factor.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

FrostSpectre.4198

Well, Necromancers need a elite specialization with more minions while using the Life force to raise them, like what it was during GW2 development, but was abandoned.

Ooh, nice Golemancer idea. Golems, golems everywhere!

Well, just slinging names for Necro elite specializations, what would be a evil dark fantasy professions:
Soul Weaver (Life force based stuff maybe, healer type that can reverse death by giving them life force), Lord of Bones (Minion master kind of elite), Lord of Flies (dunno, insect, locusts and disease condition), Hellraiser (Sounds like a Torch related Elite, and maybe call demonic aspects bound into minions), Dark Alchemist (similar to the idea made by Lonami), Defiler (More potent corrupter? Or infectious Life Force that can be turned into explosive or more suffering), Cultist (bleeding to extreme, more powerful blood magic and health sacrifice in exchange of powerful effects), Undertaker (lol, just LOL, but could be a minion based elite)

Well, I just managed to make myself excited with the Hellraiser idea I just slapped together…

Demonic aspects bound into minions, creating monstrosities with piece of demonic power and monstrous appearance to boot.

Torch skills to spread suffering, disease and curses which might as well rend flesh from bones or make it rot and deform. Same torch skills have empowering effect on demonic minions which prolongs their life force and some traits could empower minions as they suffer more detrimental effects.

Unique Condition: Disease
Due to the Demonic aspects being partly uncontrollable, the magics utilized by Hellraisers are more likely to inflict painful diseases, even the demonic minions are prone to carry disease due to unstable existense which subjects the vessel to eventually rot away.

Margonite Minions, Torment Minions, Titan Minions, Shadow Minion (I quess this isn’t viable as one already exists), Nightmare Minions (if the Oni and Kanaxai are tied to other demonic races) and Stygian Minions, demon aspects based on demons that do exist in Tyria. As said before the demonic minions are unstable and subjected to rot, meaning they will die eventually by themselves, unless powered up by Hellraisers flames and magics.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

I’m going to go ahead and saddle up to talk about my biggest pet peeve among player suggestions. That being: Scythe. I for one DO NOT want to ever see scythe as a weapon type, because a scythe as depicted by GW1 and the Grim Reaper is not a weapon. Historically, when scythes were used in war, their blades were modified to be parallel to the shaft, not perpendicular, because the perpendicular blade is horrifically inefficient for doing much more than gathering grain. And parallel blade scythes… are basically glaives/naginatas. Thus, if scythe was ever implemented, it would make Polearm a virtual impossibility. On the flip side, if Polearm became a weapon type, it could include scythe-like skins while still having the main animations remain both plausible and unique from other weapon types. Truthfully, greataxe could also fall under polearm, but that distinction is not as strong.
Beyond that: vials, orbs, books and instruments? No. All of those are somewhat covered under Focus, and I personally think that’s sufficient. Whips? Possibly, but I wouldn’t call it brilliant or a high priority.
Honestly, there’s a lot that can be done with the weapons that currently exist. Biggest thing I want: Elementalist Elite Spec – Dervish, but with Sword. Which may anger hardcore scythe fans, but I refer these to my above argument. A quick, slash-based weapon like a sword would lend itself very well to the feel of Dervish, and Wind/Earth/Mysticism abilities fall quite naturally under the Elementalist umbrella.

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

I am praying for cross specialization because I want to access the weapon skills of Staff Revenant on my Guardian so I can delete my Revenant and make …..anything else,really.

Posted by: epouvante.7392

epouvante.7392

:
Revenant > Crusader > Warhorn (Rurik)

Thanks but no way, rev need a serious hybrid condi range or mid range solution
Longbow, shortbow, rifle or we can imagine mid range dagger, axe or long range polearme, greatsword

Posted by: themillwater.5846

themillwater.5846

I would like to see the ability to learn new skills with the current weapons. I would like to be able to whack someone with a staff on the druid. Pistol whip someone with the pistol, smack them with the butt of the rifle, etc. Could make it take a skill points, make it a special type of skill point, make it take an experience track that only fills when you are fighting with that weapon, something. Then after you get it you get to select your weapon skills like you do your other skills.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Warriors would be Polearms or Great Axe before any other profession. I can’t think of any game that gave the paladin equivalent the GreatAxe before the games warrior class.

Always wanted those, but not holding breath. All ideas so far i’m very supportive of.

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

I would like to see a sharpshooter specialization for ele or ranger where you can use rifles. About the whip, I can only predict a Roots rp.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

(edited by cyberzombie.7348)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

One thing to realize about the structure of Elite Specializations is they’re entirely exclusive – so the “new weapon” can be reused when giving you a new set of skills. While it hasn’t been done yet you can also substitute a new set of skills on a weapon the base class already uses (which might actually help with some of the balance issues they seem to introduce). Using those two tool they’re never going to run out of new weapon possibilities even on Warriors.

Also because of the way the game animates whips (as an fx effect rather than a morph of a weapon’s geometry), you can do ‘whips’ by having a character equip a scepter to act as the handle, while the skill itself caries the ‘lash’ fx.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

For the next expansion I am hoping that underwater weapons are unified with land weapons. Tridents would become staves, and staves would be usable underwater. Harpoon guns would become rifles, but instead of using harpoon gun skins on ground the skin for a gun would change to the skin of a harpoon gun when it went underwater and vise-versa, just because there are certain harpoon skins that would not work at all as a gun, such as the tribal speargun. Spears would then become a new land weapon for use in new specializations. The only negative aspect to this is that it would throw the marketplace into chaos, but I still think this needs to happen. After this underwater combat

For new weapons, I am hoping for great-axes, tomes(2 handed), crossbows and maybe whips. The tome may seem a little strange, but I do think that we could use a few more magic-centered weapons. They would look and be held similar to how the guardian’s tomes used to.

Looking at things now i am really sad at how focuses have enveloped so many other possible weapon types; I wish they had a more directed theme, but as they are now, they envelop so many other cool ideas like fans, gadgets, and potions, and those ideas can’t be used anymore. As for scythes I am also in the camp that they should be made spear skins, as they just wouldn’t work as there own weapon type in gw2.

Personally I am against using new skill sets on a class’s existing weapons. Something about it just feels incredibly underwhelming. It would be effective in terms of gameplay, but not getting access to the vast amount of new skins and losing access to the vannilla skillset of a weapons will leave players angry. There would have to be some sort of extreme compensation for not getting a new weapon, and the only thing i could think of that would be big enough would be something like elementalists getting a 5th attunement for all their weapons.

FrostSpectre.4198

Personally I am against using new skill sets on a class’s existing weapons. Something about it just feels incredibly underwhelming. It would be effective in terms of gameplay, but not getting access to the vast amount of new skins and losing access to the vannilla skillset of a weapons will leave players angry. There would have to be some sort of extreme compensation for not getting a new weapon, and the only thing i could think of that would be big enough would be something like elementalists getting a 5th attunement for all their weapons.

I guess 5th attunement for Elementalist Elite, would be “Elemental Attunement”, but with it’s own functionalities.

Posted by: PaterFrog.5781

PaterFrog.5781

Why the necro? Rather than writing my own topic and rehashing it all over again, I thought bumping this well-written thread and all the valuable arguments in it would be more constructive.

Posted by: PaterFrog.5781

PaterFrog.5781

Why the necro? Rather than writing my own topic and rehashing it all over again, I thought bumping this thread and all the valuable arguments in it would be more constructive.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

That is true after some point classes wont feel right with the choices they are left with. (hammer mesmer, sword necro, gs engi, Shield ele). there areclasses that still have some choices but imo other should start getting new weapons.

Posted by: Codes.6870

Codes.6870

I’d like to see a Samurai Elite Spec for Warrior in the next expansion. Main weapon will be the Spear.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Like having said.. even when Anet squeezed out of the Warrior with Dual Daggers now with the Spellbreaker an E-Spec, that makes at least halfway even sense (even if this kind of Spec is somethign that I’d rather have seen as a Thief-Spec with Dual Maces that would have made more sense to me) shows us, that for the Warrior is nearly nothign left open anymore that kind of makes sense for their 3rd E-Spec to be used, as it simply doesn#t fit either to their design as a heavy armor use, or they already have an other similar weapon type that fulfills already the purpose of what said remainign weapons possible could add to the warrior…

Warrior + Magic Scepter = Hell No, makes n o sense
Warrior + Shortbow = He has already Longbow and Rifle, no need for another long ranged weapon, what the Warrior needs next is a Mid Range Weapon like a Polearm with like 300-450 range to be the golden middle between melee weapons and ranged weapons
Warrior + Staff = No way, makes no sense for a heavy armored class as melee, however ANet has done it already for the Rev and if magical, it comes too close to the Guardian as a carbon copy.
Warrior + Focus = makes no sense, would be too much of a similar thing of the Torch now
Warriro + Pistol = god forbid, we dont need hundreds of rytlock wannabes runnign around and again ,he has already Shortbow and Riflle, no need for another logn ranged weapon.

Warrior needs next a new unique weapon among another class which gets it, so that the warrior isn#t then the only class, which uses this new weapon type.

Best Candidates for new Weapon Types are still:

- Polearms/Halberds (can be used for melee combat scythe/greataxe reskins as well)
- Whips (the animations ect are all there already)
- Tower Shields (the animations are already there, shields need to be only bigger/longer, could get named Shields, while current shields get renamed in their term into “Bucklers”, if the term Tower Shield just isn’t liked maybe
- Flails (Morning Stars, but could possible end up as Mace reskin, who knows)

From all these things suit to Warriors best as next new Weapon Type the Polearm and the main hand wielded offensive bigger Shields

If the next Warrior E-Spec would get Polearms, then terms like Partizan, Phalanx, Dragoon, Lancer, Knight, or Legionnaire would suit to that

If the next Warrior E-Spec would get MH Shields (Tower Shields), then terms like Defender, Sentinel, Champion, Vanguard, Gladiator, or Legionnaire would suit to that as well

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I really think we need to get new weapon types next time. It’s something they talked about doing at launch and it’s now nearly 5 years later.