Newb question regarding grouping

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: koldmiser.6019

koldmiser.6019

So I’m coming back to the game after a long break. Of my friend and I start new characters and one of us leaves our races area to group with the other will that stop our story progress or mess us up at all?

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

The only thing that stops your story progress is you not doing the story, or starting another story line. You can go to any area you have access to at any time in the game without worrying about losing your story progress. When you go back to it you just pick up where you left off.

… just call me … Tim :)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can go anywhere you like, do the story any time you like, with anyone you like. There are two restrictions and one caveat as follows:

• Your character must be at least at the relevant level to start each story (and progress it if someone of the same race starts it).
  • You and your friend must be in the same region (NA or EU), although you can be on any world/server.
  • And the caveat: if you & your friend are of the same race and ready for the same story, be thoughtful before agreeing to accept progress after the completion of a mission in which the player character must make a choice — accepting means your character makes the same choice (and potentially, retroactively accepts some previous choices). This only affects a handful of people, so the short of it is: pause before “accepting” anything in this game.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It won’t mess up your story progress, but you also can’t progress your story in another race’s zone – you’ll have to go back ‘home’ to do your story.

You could take turns: do one person’s level 10 story then the other, or if one of you is less interested in the story you could just skip that one, it’s up to you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: koldmiser.6019

koldmiser.6019

Awesome! I appreciate the responses.