Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Oh, I don’t know… character bound dyes, RNG boxes, gear grind.

And before you say dyes are account bound now. Yes, I know. Only 1+ year after launch and after they broke their promise made in their pre-launch blog post. Little late with that. They probably had a good reason to make them account bound: incentivise collecting all dyes for your account, buy all the dye packs in store NAO!

In Guild Wars 1 the dyes weren’t even that. They were one buy one use. Did Nexon do that too?

Ah right, I remember when you could access some dyes only through the cash shop and resell them in spamadan for gold to other players that got that gold without even playing the game and acquiring it directly from the cash stop with the gems to gold conversion, oh no wait… gems to platinum right right.

Nexon has been influencing design decisions in Guild Wars 2 since launch. It’s pretty obvious if you look at all the things that are bad about Guild Wars 2, the majority can be blamed on what Nexon would have done.
It’ll only get worse once they are given more power.

Well at least it’s not like they put Cox, responsible of the (imo horrible) gambling system of the game, in the dev team that is working on the playable content. Oh wait…

They didn’t. ArenaNet hired someone who had experience running a cash shop for MMOs since GW2 was going the cash shop route.

Edit: Since the other thread got purged. Ms Cox, a former ArenaNet employee, was rehired in March 2012. Nexon bought NCSOFT stock in June 2012. The two companies then founded a joint studio called N Square.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What I take from the article…

Ncsoft is underperforming in the gaming market and Nexon wants to increase revenue.

Not…quite. Both NCsoft and Nexon are in this for profit, and are interested in maximizing it. It’s just that NCsoft thinks not only about profit now, but also about profit tomorrow, and about survival of NCsoft. Nexon on the other hand is more interested in fast cash grabs, and longterm survival of NCsoft is completely irrelevant to them (after all, NCsoft and Nexon, in the end, are firms competing for the same market).

So, you can read the “underperforming” part and wanting to increase revenue as “We think we could milk NCsoft for way more before it dies”.

The fact that they went public with it is a very good thing – it means NCsoft is resisting. And, if it continues, it might end in weakening ties between those two companies.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

If the devs go quiet for months in a nexon game abandon ship before it sinks.

NCSoft rekt City of Heroes, Aion, Lineage ][ and many other stuff.
For me, both are worthy each other.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

If the devs go quiet for months in a nexon game abandon ship before it sinks.

NCSoft rekt City of Heroes, Aion, Lineage ][ and many other stuff.
For me, both are worthy each other.

I couldn’t get into Aion due to open world PVP :V So that’s an MMORPG I won’t even count.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

As far as i know, Nexon make every thing character bond, so you have to buy everything cash shop related and gear whenever you make a new character

they also release time gated classes and make new OP class like every 3 month so people will make new character and buy cash shop items.

and they are major pay to win with enchantment items in cash shop, and they are power creep in terms of balancing, before the launch high level character doing like 1000 damage, and 4 years later every rich kid will be doing 10m damage while normal players do around 10k damage.

and they made bosses so hard that normal player can not kill, but have to buy enchantment from cash shop, in order to kill the boss and get the best item drop, and it’s still shet item unless it’s enchanted with items from cash shop..

also nexon america is like 10 times worse then nexon korea, they make every cash shop skins cost kitten expansive and make them rental instead of permanent…like 5 dollars for a shirt for 30 days.

(edited by Simon.3794)

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

OK, ok I’ve given this some thought and come to these conclusions:

o This is very complex for AreaNet. Mike, Colin et al have to deal with NCSoft, Nexon, KongZhong and Internal Staff. Actually, so far so good.

o This is kinda new but not Evil. So stay frosty.

o There is another NCSoft published game that needs attention before Guild Wars 2.

o Any impact to Guild Wars 2 would be downstream.

o Considering SAB on a mobile platform is a healthy discussion.

Honestly, from what I’ve read players are already making a lot of stew from one Oyster. I’ve looked outside, the sky is not falling. I’d like us to calmly take a step back and consider a graphic that clearly shows the whole issue as it currently stands.

Attachments:

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

As far as i know, Nexon make every thing character bond, so you have to buy everything cash shop related and gear whenever you make a new character

they also release time gated classes and make new OP class like every 3 month so people will make new character and buy cash shop items.

and they are major pay to win with enchantment items in cash shop, and they are power creep in terms of balancing, before the launch high level character doing like 1000 damage, and 4 years later every rich kid will be doing 10m damage while normal players do around 10k damage.

and they made bosses so hard that normal player can not kill, but have to buy enchantment from cash shop, in order to kill the boss and get the best item drop, and it’s still shet item unless it’s enchanted with items from cash shop..

also nexon america is like 10 times worse then nexon korea, they make every cash shop skins cost kitten expansive and make them rental instead of permanent…like 5 dollars for a shirt for 30 days.

lol I remember in Vindictus how you could rent hair styles/colors and so on. There is so much wrong in that game that I am not even willing to list all of it lol.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Actually they can’t make changes. What they have to do is get the bulk of the stock holders to become dissatisfied. That’s what they’re attempting.

They’re saying here NCSoft isn’t giving you enough return on your investment. So they can try to get a block of votes.

But NcSoft isn’t going to sit there and let this pass unchallenged. And most saavy stock holders will know this is a power play anyway.

Stockholders are why we can’t have nice things.

I’ll bet there isn’t 0.1% of shares held by people who have actually played an MMO. Heck, most of them probably don’t even know Guild Wars 2 is part of their investment. All they care about is their ROI. They are too busy jetting around on their Gulfstreams visiting real life exotic locations and full service luxury hotels to ever have the time for a game.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Actually they can’t make changes. What they have to do is get the bulk of the stock holders to become dissatisfied. That’s what they’re attempting.

They’re saying here NCSoft isn’t giving you enough return on your investment. So they can try to get a block of votes.

But NcSoft isn’t going to sit there and let this pass unchallenged. And most saavy stock holders will know this is a power play anyway.

I’ll bet there isn’t 0.1% of shares held by people who have actually played an MMO. Heck, most of them probably don’t even know Guild Wars 2 is part of their investment. All they care about is their ROI. They are too busy jetting around on their Gulfstreams visiting real life exotic locations and full service luxury hotels to ever have the time for a game.

The majority of stock is probably tied up in working people’s 401(k) plans via mutual fund bundling. People who can afford to buy their own airplanes tend to have a much more detailed knowledge of where all their money is.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Behellagh.1468

The majority of stock is probably tied up in working people’s 401(k) plans via mutual fund bundling. People who can afford to buy their own airplanes tend to have a much more detailed knowledge of where all their money is.

Well roughly 11% is in the South Korean National Pension plan. Another 55% are owned by various small individuals/organizations/funds. The founder/CEO/Head of Board of Directors still owns about 10%. NCSOFT still has about 9% in reserve. The remaining is Nexon’s.

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

Guild Wars 2 is probably not Nexon’s issue for these shenanigans *cough*Wildstar*cough*. Y’all can probably stop worrying *cough*unlessyouplayWildstar*cough*.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

If only Nexon would be Gw2 publisher.
Then it would at least be f2p and populated.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Behellagh.1468

Guild Wars 2 is probably not Nexon’s issue for these shenanigans *cough*Wildstar*cough*. Y’all can probably stop worrying *cough*unlessyouplayWildstar*cough*.

It’s not, they are annoyed that their joint venture shop N Square isn’t getting the attention from NCSOFT that Nexon thinks it should be getting. And as I said their first joint game being developed, which was canceled about a year ago, a fighting game, except now NCSOFT is putting out a fighting game this year.

This has absolutely nothing to do with NCSOFT’s NA properties. It’s all about getting NCSOFT to do what was promised when Nexon bought 60% of NCSOFT’s CEO’s stock. They feel they are getting the short end of the stick with the value of the stock still off 12% (stock shot up over the new hostile intent of Nexon toward NCSOFT, was down 25% before the declaration of war) and the joint venture not working they way they thought it was going to be like.

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

What I take from the article…

Ncsoft is underperforming in the gaming market and Nexon wants to increase revenue.

Not…quite. Both NCsoft and Nexon are in this for profit, and are interested in maximizing it. It’s just that NCsoft thinks not only about profit now, but also about profit tomorrow, and about survival of NCsoft. Nexon on the other hand is more interested in fast cash grabs, and longterm survival of NCsoft is completely irrelevant to them (after all, NCsoft and Nexon, in the end, are firms competing for the same market).

So, you can read the “underperforming” part and wanting to increase revenue as “We think we could milk NCsoft for way more before it dies”.

The fact that they went public with it is a very good thing – it means NCsoft is resisting. And, if it continues, it might end in weakening ties between those two companies.

You are correct and worded things much nicer than I had the energy to do last night.
Although, I personally do not think NC will improve even if ties are severed with NEX. Guess we will have to see what happens over the next few to many years…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

If only Nexon would be Gw2 publisher.
Then it would at least be f2p and populated.

I’ve played both Mabinogi (for almost 5 years) and Vindictus (3 years). I did play some Dragon Nest, MapleStory, Atlantica Online, and Combat Arms from time to time, but I will say this with absolute certainty. You do not want Nexon to be Guild Wars 2’s publisher

My best experiences of Nexon come through Mabinogi and Vindictus, and I can say that those two games are the best support Nexon provides. The MapleStory Ship has long sank, Atlantica Online has died from it’s former glory of before it was shipped off to Nexon, and Dragon Nest’s playerbase is so venomous, it makes League of Legend’s playerbase seem angelic.

Vindictus has TERRIBLE RNG, over 3 years of playing, I have only received two rares to show for it, and was often found being kicked off boats (parties) because I refused to pay for power (they sell power in the Supply Depot).

Mabinogi is rampant with power-creeping. Players can practically one-shot everything in the game or just spam pets with AoE abilities and not even touch an enemy that you once were required to use specific skills or items for. They sell direct power in the cash shop (in the form called “reforges”), tons of protection potions (for repair, upgrading, etc.), and basically all life skills (crafting) is nulled by more powerful weapons sold in Gachapons. My Rank 1 Blacksmithing in that game is worthless because I can’t create a weapon powerful enough to be on par with items sold for real money.

Lastly, ALL of their games’ population is dying. If you think the population of this game is bad (I fail to see how, considering I CONSTANTLY see players everywhere), if Nexon were to have publishing rights to GW2, then players would simply not touch the game and it would even be more of a barren wasteland.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

yes, wildstar is bombing, but that’s not the whole story. gw2 china is not doing as well as expected and I’m assuming this xpac is coming now for a much needed cash boost because the living story is not doing the job to keep the ship afloat.

there are many more factors and elements to talk about, but I don’t feel like analyzing the quarterly financials right now.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

gw2 china is not doing as well as expected and I’m assuming this xpac is coming now for a much needed cash boost because the living story is not doing the job to keep the ship afloat.

Why would NCSoft/Nexon care if GW2 CN is doing well or not? They’re not the publishers for them, and last I heard, the publishers for GW2 CN made a lot of changes that caused it’s inevitable grave.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Vindictus has TERRIBLE RNG, over 3 years of playing, I have only received two rares to show for it, and was often found being kicked off boats (parties) because I refused to pay for power (they sell power in the Supply Depot).

Now that I think about it some more it seems silly that they were selling power in the cash shop. People were able to cheat to the point where they can just oneshot raid bosses anyway without paying them a cent. It’s not like Nexon did anything about it either, there people were publicly advertising that they were doing that in their LFG thing.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I’m assuming this xpac is coming now for a much needed cash boost because the living story is not doing the job to keep the ship afloat.

Yeah… except for the fact that they have worked on the expansion for over a year, so long before they knew if the Living Story would work in the long term or not.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

How much control does the NCSoft board really have over GW2?

I mean, the organisation I work for is much smaller, about 35 employees in total, and the whole chain between me (basically entry level employee) and the board is: Me → Manager → Head of Department → CEO → Board of Trustees.

Even then the board has almost no say in day-to-day operations. They make high level decisions like what the budget will be for each department, but we decide what to do with that budget (within the bounds of what each department is for, obviously). Even the CEO only really gets involved when it’s something that requires coordination between departments.

I imagine it’s similar with NCSoft and Anet, although with more separation. They might well decide how much money gets funnelled into Anet to fund things like the upcoming expansion, vs. how much profit they expect from it. But they will have little/no say in the actual details of what goes into the game. I doubt they even get to decide things like how often new items are added or whether they’re added to the gem store or acquired in game.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

How much control does the NCSoft board really have over GW2?

I mean, the organisation I work for is much smaller, about 35 employees in total, and the whole chain between me (basically entry level employee) and the board is: Me -> Manager -> Head of Department -> CEO -> Board of Trustees.

Even then the board has almost no say in day-to-day operations. They make high level decisions like what the budget will be for each department, but we decide what to do with that budget (within the bounds of what each department is for, obviously). Even the CEO only really gets involved when it’s something that requires coordination between departments.

I imagine it’s similar with NCSoft and Anet, although with more separation. They might well decide how much money gets funnelled into Anet to fund things like the upcoming expansion, vs. how much profit they expect from it. But they will have little/no say in the actual details of what goes into the game. I doubt they even get to decide things like how often new items are added or whether they’re added to the gem store or acquired in game.

Well apparently not enough to predict when an expansion will get released but enough to get 1/6 of Divinity’s Reach removed from the game …

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

This companies like NOXON’s… ruin the game experience,because they invest in company.. then leech so hard that they destroy it and invest in another company… then repeat.. we must stop that from happening! Because this can effect GW2 a lot, and i think all this Gem store, is NOXONS idea.. if it would be Arena Net, they would give things with expansion.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

OK, ok I’ve given this some thought and come to these conclusions:

o This is very complex for AreaNet. Mike, Colin et al have to deal with NCSoft, Nexon, KongZhong and Internal Staff. Actually, so far so good.

o This is kinda new but not Evil. So stay frosty.

o There is another NCSoft published game that needs attention before Guild Wars 2.

o Any impact to Guild Wars 2 would be downstream.

o Considering SAB on a mobile platform is a healthy discussion.

Honestly, from what I’ve read players are already making a lot of stew from one Oyster. I’ve looked outside, the sky is not falling. I’d like us to calmly take a step back and consider a graphic that clearly shows the whole issue as it currently stands.

This picture is same size of town and Trojan horse. I think i’ve said enough

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It’s likely a move to try and force the company to close down the road. Nexon is a disgusting excuse for a company equivalent in services provided to phone scammers. Actually, I believe I’ve been treated better by scammers over the phone.

They have no interest in GW2 or NCSoft’s titles, being a direct competitor; it’s simply unwise for the NC execs to even consider this kind of notion. What are they going to do as primary stakeholders, sell NC stocks because they’re mad by not being able to take down their competition by the inside?

I mean it’s just so incredibly blatant. If the company had an even remotely fair reputation then it could be arguable, but even as someone working in competition in the MMO industry, this is just disgusting.

I’d really like to see NC deny them this privilege. Actually, I’d probably help promote sales for NCSoft if they ditched Nexon just to spite them.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Nexon is one of the worst gaming companies on the world. Way worse than EA. Ncsoft would be smart to throw them out of the door.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

If Nexon gets its way, I want out.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Nexon makes its profits via parasitism.
They latch on to another company, take a controlling stock interest, influence the board and executives into making short term profits to drive up the stock prices and pay substantial dividends, then dump their stock to cash in leaving the company a cashless, directionless, customerless mess.

The fact that they are going public with this statement tells me that NCSoft has been resisting Nexon’s attempts to sink in their fangs… how long they can continue is the real question now (a 15% stake can turn into a controlling stake if you manage to get the board of directors stacked with people who you selected).

Sarcasm aside, people DID buy gold from illegal gold sellers to buy black dyes. The fact that now that’s legitimizes someone doesn’t change the fact that this system, even before dyes became account bound, is far more generous than the system in Guild Wars 1.

But no one cares about that. They only want to bring up Guild Wars 1 when it proves a negative point aboout this game.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They latch on to another company, take a controlling stock interest, influence the board and executives into making short term profits to drive up the stock prices and pay substantial dividends, then dump their stock to cash in leaving the company a cashless, directionless, customerless mess.

The fact that they are going public with this statement tells me that NCSoft has been resisting Nexon’s attempts to sink in their fangs… how long they can continue is the real question now (a 15% stake can turn into a controlling stake if you manage to get the board of directors stacked with people who you selected).

Sarcasm aside, people DID buy gold from illegal gold sellers to buy black dyes. The fact that now that’s legitimizes someone doesn’t change the fact that this system, even before dyes became account bound, is far more generous than the system in Guild Wars 1.

But no one cares about that. They only want to bring up Guild Wars 1 when it proves a negative point aboout this game.

As much as I loved GW1 I admit that it had its share of concerns. The dye issue didn’t bother me directly because I found it very easy to make money in GW1, but I know others for whom it really affected their enjoyment of the game. Eventually I adopted a policy in my guild that any new member got a set of 15k armor and dyes of their choice funded by myself upon being accepted into the guild specifically to address this concern.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Nexon has been influencing design decisions in Guild Wars 2 since launch. It’s pretty obvious if you look at all the things that are bad about Guild Wars 2, the majority can be blamed on what Nexon would have done.
It’ll only get worse once they are given more power.

Evidence of this? Because I don’t see it at all. People who played Nexon games before have said how much worse they are. This is just more tin foil hat stuff.

There is always something much worse.

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I’ll need to see how this plays out… I’m still not a fan of Nexon being NCSoft’s largest shareholder, but hopefully Nexon ducks out so the price of NCSoft’s stock falls so I can buy more for less.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As much as I loved GW1 I admit that it had its share of concerns. The dye issue didn’t bother me directly because I found it very easy to make money in GW1, but I know others for whom it really affected their enjoyment of the game. Eventually I adopted a policy in my guild that any new member got a set of 15k armor and dyes of their choice funded by myself upon being accepted into the guild specifically to address this concern.

I don’t think it affected my enjoyment of the game as a whole but it definitely made me a lot less likely to change my armor dyes or experiment with combining colours, which is a shame because the combination system was otherwise interesting.

For example I was never willing to change my armor for Pink Day in LA because even though the pink dyes were relatively cheap having to re-buy my normal black/blue/purple set again afterwards wasn’t and I just couldn’t justify it for 1 day.

FYI for anyone who didn’t play GW1* in that game each dye was 1 use. You didn’t unlock them, you used them up dying 1 piece of armor, and if you wanted to change it or dye another piece you had to buy another dye. Also there were only basic colours, if you wanted to alter them you had to buy 2 or more to combine. For example if you wanted a dark red you had to buy red and black (which cost the equivalent of Abyss in GW2).

Even character bound dyes are much better than that.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

NCSoft has already been resisting, as a matter of fact has been for a while now as evidence by the cancellation of one of the joint projects with NCSoft later releasing something strangely similar by themselves.

as a matter of fact the wife of CEO was promoted to president last month to keep things in the family which Nexon did not like.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: haresean.3856

haresean.3856

I’d like to see an official Anet response to this.

No.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What would/could they say?

This is not something that (at this time) have something directly to do with their game.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Like what? Will “We plan to resist the evil empire till the last Dev falls at the barricades, at which time Guild Wars 2 will auto destruct” do as a response?

This is just standard maneuvering for financial advantage inside a company. It’s nothing the lawyers haven’t encountered before and doesn’t need ANet to hold nervous forumites hands and murmur soothing words.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The only ‘response’ you may see is a locking of the thread, as the topic has little to do with Guild Wars 2, itself. /shrug

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

NCSoft blows too. they trolled BnS in our faces for years but never delivered. be real easy to increase profits, bring the games with hype to the regions beggin you for them!

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Behellagh.1468

NCSoft blows too. they trolled BnS in our faces for years but never delivered. be real easy to increase profits, bring the games with hype to the regions beggin you for them!

The wasn’t the hit they expected in Korea, seeming to eat into their existing player base of their other games rather than being the next AION and be an entire new massive income stream. With not as much income they decided on China rather than NA/EU for the first port.

But because the China port took a lot longer due to the censoring requirement since the original game’s body physics engine and sparse clothing options for women was frowned upon in China.

That might have led them into rumored decision to port the China version to NA since an MMO with an MA rating probably won’t do as well when all others are rated T. However if that does come to past, there is a fairly vocal group who will be disappointed that the “pervy” nature of the game got nerfed.

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

oneply.9586

The wasn’t the hit they expected in Korea, seeming to eat into their existing player base of their other games rather than being the next AION and be an entire new massive income stream. With not as much income they decided on China rather than NA/EU for the first port.

But because the China port took a lot longer due to the censoring requirement since the original game’s body physics engine and sparse clothing options for women was frowned upon in China.

That might have led them into rumored decision to port the China version to NA since an MMO with an MA rating probably won’t do as well when all others are rated T. However if that does come to past, there is a fairly vocal group who will be disappointed that the “pervy” nature of the game got nerfed.

there is alot more than that holding it back, but primarily it is bad decisions one after another on ncsofts part.
and personally i dont care if the clothes are pervy or not.
but i guess wildstar is a fair trade off for BnS…lmao

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Behellagh.1468

there is alot more than that holding it back, but primarily it is bad decisions one after another on ncsofts part.
and personally i dont care if the clothes are pervy or not.
but i guess wildstar is a fair trade off for BnS…lmao

You are thinking rather binary here. WildStar was coming out regardless on the decision of bringing B&S to NA or not. Carbine had been working on it for years. And since it was a localization port originally they didn’t need an studio or a studio size budget so it’s not as if the money was tossed Carbine’s way. It’s not A or B.

Here’s the thing. When NCSOFT released Lineage II, their income doubled. With AION it doubled again (AION was HUGE for NCSOFT). Now they hyped B&S to their stockholders as the next AION. When it came out, income barely moved with income from B&S offset by a similar size decrease in AION’s income. That’s why they doubled down with China but the port took a lot longer due to it’s more adult (some would say 12 year old boy) nature of female character design. And it’s looks like they lost that bet now that it’s out as well. They recently expanded into Japan using an anime series as advertising.

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: NaotsuguLH.8915

NaotsuguLH.8915

Nexon Screwed up MapleStory. I don’t trust them anymore.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

oneply.9586

You are thinking rather binary here. WildStar was coming out regardless on the decision of bringing B&S to NA or not. Carbine had been working on it for years. And since it was a localization port originally they didn’t need an studio or a studio size budget so it’s not as if the money was tossed Carbine’s way. It’s not A or B.

Here’s the thing. When NCSOFT released Lineage II, their income doubled. With AION it doubled again (AION was HUGE for NCSOFT). Now they hyped B&S to their stockholders as the next AION. When it came out, income barely moved with income from B&S offset by a similar size decrease in AION’s income. That’s why they doubled down with China but the port took a lot longer due to it’s more adult (some would say 12 year old boy) nature of female character design. And it’s looks like they lost that bet now that it’s out as well. They recently expanded into Japan using an anime series as advertising.

you literally said the same thing over again and i said thats not all there is to it. seems to me youre the one thinking binary. youre neglecting a whole gray area of other issues and trying so hard to make your point that its the sales its the sales, well thats not the only reason.
and as for wildstar, i fully understand why they choose to push back their plans for BnS to make wildstar happen, as it turns out that was a bad decision cause the game is an aoe suck fest thats failing.
just because 2 old games were successful doesnt mean that they know what they are doing. especially considering those games hit their hay day long ago. the only reason Aion is even relevant anymore is cause the current mmorpg scene is rather lackluster.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

I think Anet also has a loophole in their contract that allows them to buy the company out of NCsoft if they want to, and they own the rights to all the IPs related to GW2.

I think GW2 is safe and I couldn’t care less about the rest of NCsoft’s portfolio.

sorry buy LOL

ArenaNet or A-net if you will ceased to exist in 2008 as anything other than an NcSoft deisgn team

they have no loophole to buy anything as they do not exist, A-net = dev team, NcSoft = company who own all IP in relation to GW following the purchase of A-net, hell even the original founders of A-net left the ship years ago

I love how people continually refer to A-net is posts on these forums, here is a tip…. Take off the Rose Tinted specs!

as for the poster saying @ 15.8% shareholding Nexon have no power and no say in the running of NcSoft…. OMG! seriously, whilst they do not have controlling interested they have an extremely strong position in relation to share holding and the right to challenge board room level decisions

For all that Nexon are idd known as a P2W company, ask yourself a question, what did you (en-masse) get out of all the $’s you poured into the gem shop other than vanity stuff?

That isn’t P2W it is simply PAY

as for BnS and Wildstar… amy company is going to push and funnel everything into their IP rather than publish a 3rd party dev game, just a shame when BnS is one of the truly beautiful games to play ( not without it’s faults) whereas Wildstar was fairly crap in every department (this is what you get when you develop purely with a purported “western” audience in mind)

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian

(edited by OnyX.9027)

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

oneply.9586

delete please………….

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

(edited by oneply.9586)

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: climonite.8537

climonite.8537

As a player you’ll probably never notice a difference. What does Arenanet really do for their players? PvP players had to wait ages for changes, WvW players never gotten any but useless stuff, PvE does get it’s content and loot trains and that’s about it.

The game won’t change to pay2win, besides having a big amount of players returning to see what GW2 is about, once they’ve seen it’s basically still the same game they leave again. It wouldn’t survive changes Nexon does to their games.

Edit: And yea, BnS is awesome even while playing on 300ms. =D

(edited by climonite.8537)

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

…hell even the original founders of A-net left the ship years ago

Except for, you know, one of the original founders who is still at ArenaNet.

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Behellagh.1468

you literally said the same thing over again and i said thats not all there is to it. seems to me youre the one thinking binary. youre neglecting a whole gray area of other issues and trying so hard to make your point that its the sales its the sales, well thats not the only reason.
and as for wildstar, i fully understand why they choose to push back their plans for BnS to make wildstar happen, as it turns out that was a bad decision cause the game is an aoe suck fest thats failing.
just because 2 old games were successful doesnt mean that they know what they are doing. especially considering those games hit their hay day long ago. the only reason Aion is even relevant anymore is cause the current mmorpg scene is rather lackluster.

What other issues? What gray area? This started with you implying WildStar benefited by their decision to hold up the B&S port. WildStar has been in development since 2007. It was due to come out in late 2013/early 2014. If anything it’s late. But they certainly didn’t benefit from B&S’s port delay here.

In the end corporations make decisions based on what they think will bring in the most money, the fastest, for the least cost. Nexon had a huge surge in sales when they went to China. NCSOFT chose to chase that rather than port yet another Korean MMO into a market that wasn’t terribly enthusiastic over their previous games. That’s why B&S got the back burner here. If B&S did as well as hoped in Korea, they wouldn’t have delayed the port. It didn’t and we have a web page where the last news was from Dec 2012.

So again, what other issues? What gray areas?

Edit: Oh, and those games, Lineage, Lineage II, that hit their hey day long ago are 36.5% of NCSOFTs annual income with Lineage, old original Lineage, being 29.6% of their annual income.

RIP City of Heroes

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

interesting how nexon shows up with their proposals when HoT is knocking on the doors off players wallets…

If this is all about money then i hope NCsoft looks into how much HoT will bring them money and how much more new players would buy the game and how much gems will be bought (with real money)…and then compare that with the money they would get by accepting Nexons proposal and doing things their way…

also, if nexon is proposing stuff they added in maplestory into gw2, please know gw2 players are a different kind of breed that will take it to heart and not like it

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Lets hope Nexon don’t fool ANET into letting them influence them too much. IDK much of Nexon games but from everything I’m reading in multiple sites its unanimous everyone dislikes them lol.

Necromancer Main

Nexon vs NCSoft 2015

Behellagh.1468

interesting how nexon shows up with their proposals when HoT is knocking on the doors off players wallets…

If this is all about money then i hope NCsoft looks into how much HoT will bring them money and how much more new players would buy the game and how much gems will be bought (with real money)…and then compare that with the money they would get by accepting Nexons proposal and doing things their way…

also, if nexon is proposing stuff they added in maplestory into gw2, please know gw2 players are a different kind of breed that will take it to heart and not like it

… sigh …

It’s not about us. I always find it amusing when players think that some corporate politics is somehow about them. It isn’t. It’s all about Nexon not feeling the love from NCSOFT over their joint projects and the suspicious cancellation of one joint project last year only to have NCSOFT come out with a similar one later this year.

We are merely a blip. The one successful MMO NCSOFT has in NA/EU who is doing so-so in Nexon’s preferred market, Asia. Nexon only gets 6% of their income from NA/EU.

RIP City of Heroes