Next Elite Specs

Next Elite Specs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FanRetri.7219

FanRetri.7219

Just a few ideas about the next elite specs we are getting. I really want to see new weapons introduced in the game. It’s been almost 5 years since GW2 was released and we haven’t seen any new weapons. I would really want to see the new elite specs to be unique for each class and that might be achieved by adding new weapons for each elite spec , rather than using current ones. 2H Axe,Katanas,Crossbows ( I am really surprised we don’t have these but we have longbows,shortbows and then we skipped to pistols and rifles),Whips, Javelins ( Range Spears ) or just melee spears would be good ( apart the ones for broken underwater combat), shurikens ( ninja stars ) , nunchucks , knuckle gauntlets etc. I know its a slim chance for this to happen for the next expansion , but I hope that ANET would consider some of this idea for the next expansion.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I could see a mechanical reloading crossbow as a new skin for a rifle, with a new sound and projectile effect. Smaller ones might even work for pistols. But on its own, a standard crossbow is very clunky and slow compared to what you can get with a normal bow or firearm (as they’re shown in this game).

There is a simple katana skin in the game, it’s just not for player use. I think some Tengu use it. There’s also a whip in one of the sylvari personal stories. Between that and the Lightning Whip of a dagger/ Elementalist, I guess they’ve shown they could make more whips, but in another game I played the Developers stated that whips were REALLY hard to get right and after briefly touching them they swore them off as too much effort. Dunno if that’s the case here or not.

Knuckle gauntlets and other punching weapons, though? If they came as a pair (basically, a two handed weapon), then I would LOVE to see them show up. Some of the classes practically beg for that kind of fighting style. (Equipping them to both hands avoids the messy animation problem of having each weapon skill involve only one hand, such as how a warrior with two swords still uses only one in their auto attack.)

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

Granted the spoilers COULD be completely wrong. Just assuming they arent. I think AN hasnt added any new weapons due to balance reasons. That aside, we do have some of these in game, just not in the traditional sense. It’s just a skin but we do have a katana (functions as a greatsword), shurikens (or any throwing knife) is kind of the thief/daredevils thing and is present in 1-2 skills, and there is a whip sword which may be as close to a whip in functionality as we get. I guess F1 for dragonhunter is a ranged spear like effect.

After seeing them in lake doric i was disappointed to not see halberds at all. Since many of your suggestions are Asian themed, I would expect some of them when we go to Cantha.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: FanRetri.7219

FanRetri.7219

Yep , I was hoping for the next elite specs to have unique weapons , only that class and elite spec will get it and that way each class will get 1 unique weapon per new spec(Ex: Thief gets maybe katana and only thief that have the new spec maxed can wield it, no other class would). That might be easier to balance since they wont need to make new skills for every other class.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I don’t think we’ll ever be getting new weapon types – it’s a lot of work for not a lot of payoff. Other games can add new weapon types freely because they don’t have as much impact on the game.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

A new weapon means:
animations
a tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 racial association
a set for the dungeons, fractals and a legendary.
campaign collections such as the orders,

they cannot make a new weapon without making like at least 40 skins and bulk and promising the bring the full collections later. and what about collections that exist as achievement. New players are going to wonder why the Primal Greataxe, the Chak Greataxe, or the whatever greataxe isn’t part of their collections

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Karnasis.6892

Karnasis.6892

Scythes…. but I’m biased towards Dervish :P

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I could see a mechanical reloading crossbow as a new skin for a rifle, with a new sound and projectile effect. Smaller ones might even work for pistols. But on its own, a standard crossbow is very clunky and slow compared to what you can get with a normal bow or firearm (as they’re shown in this game).

Flintlock guns were way less efficient for accurate shots, but that’s besides the point.

IF in the very unlikely event they took my Deadeye concept as the thief as-is without scrapping the whole notion of SHF, such a “crossbow” in the flair of Van Helsing would be the ideal type to make a skin for as the elite spec weapon.

However, it just looks like a generic sniper and will likely break the game given the thief’s mechanics.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Just a few ideas about the next elite specs we are getting.

I’m afraid they’ve already settled with these (and again, some look out of place, too futuristic/almost sci-fi like the elementalist, while some look okay):

http://archive.is/m4YET

Next Elite Specs

Sartharina.3542

The Elementalist hasn’t been leaked yet. The only one of those that looks “Futuristic” is the Engineer.

Next Elite Specs

Ashantara.8731

@Sartharina: You are right, I confused the colors.

I find quite a few of the drawings somewhat rather high-tech looking armor/design-wise (the Thief and the Revenant in particular) and by name (“Holosmith”, “Deadeye”,… while “Soulbeast” sounds like a Marvel superhero cartoon).

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Next Elite Specs

Sartharina.3542

Well, they are designed around Industrial Revolution/more modern combat systems. The Thief uses Rifles, and the Revenant’s legend is strongly connected to the revolution that turned warfare from Swords+Spells to Guns+Cannons in Ascalon.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

So then Anet would have to design a whole lot of new skins for ONE weapon that only ONE class can use? Yeah that’s smart!

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

Just a few ideas about the next elite specs we are getting.

I’m afraid they’ve already settled with these (and again, some look out of place, too futuristic/almost sci-fi like the elementalist, while some look okay):

http://archive.is/m4YET

Are you talking about the Holosmith? Cause that’s Engineer.
Elementalist is not with these pictures.

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

Next Elite Specs

Ashantara.8731

Are you talking about the Holosmith? Cause that’s Engineer. Elementalist is not with these pictures.

I already mentioned in my previous post that I mismatched the colors.

Well, they are designed around Industrial Revolution/more modern combat systems. The Thief uses Rifles, and the Revenant’s legend is strongly connected to the revolution that turned warfare from Swords+Spells to Guns+Cannons in Ascalon.

As both are still in use, the term “industrial revolution” doesn’t necessarily fit (as compared to our world). I don’t mind steam punk elements, but that is not the same as using sci-fi looking designs for weapons and armor, no? The game is too high-tech at its current state, with all the recent sci-fi skins and the constant use of Asuran “computers”

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

A new weapon means:
animations

they cannot make a new weapon without making like at least 40 skins and bulk and promising the bring the full collections later. and what about collections that exist as achievement. New players are going to wonder why the Primal Greataxe, the Chak Greataxe, or the whatever greataxe isn’t part of their collections

Why would a new weapon type have to follow the same rules as the existing ones?

If they are tied to elite specs, they could simply be made available from the zones of the new expansion only, and then just add them to the black lion sets for new skins.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

A new weapon means:
animations

Why would a new weapon type have to follow the same rules as the existing ones?

If they are tied to elite specs, they could simply be made available from the zones of the new expansion only, and then just add them to the black lion sets for new skins.

and you think the playerbase is going to sit back with smiles at a weapon that only has a few skins?
I can tell you now, the forums will burn, like primordus himself flew over.
Of course they could leave out some, like the HoT collections
but at the very least the demand will be all the primary set skins

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

As some of you mentioned about ANet has to create X of skins if they were creating an unique weapon, other weapons than we currently have in-game.
I mean, sure that take some time but we dont need over 100 skins of (for an example) Battleaxe/2h Axe on the same day it got released.

If anyone remember that some of the Seraph soldiers at Lake Doric were using a new weapon, the Battleaxe/2h Axe and I am 100% that weapon come from the Ascslonian weapon Collection, but is unreleased for us players.

Also, I was so dissapointed that Warrior or Guardian didnt get Spear for their upcoming elite specs, Paragon.
That would have been awesome, also fit perfect to the theme, Elona.
And as for the Spears, we have alot of spear skins so that wouldnt be a problem....

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The Elementalist hasn’t been leaked yet. The only one of those that looks “Futuristic” is the Engineer.

Elementalist was leaked, but it was in a different post that came a few days later. I won’t say anything about it so as to not spoil for it anyone who’s reading this thread, but you can look on the Ele forums to find a thread about it (if it hasn’t been deleted yet)

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Just a few ideas about the next elite specs we are getting. I really want to see new weapons introduced in the game. It’s been almost 5 years since GW2 was released and we haven’t seen any new weapons.

First, you are somewhere between 6 and 18 months late with these suggestions: at this point in development, given the timeframe anet have told us, they are fine tuning the existing design.

Second, it’s almost certainly not going to happen, because it adds extra mechanical complexity, and it also means that you either get “class specific weapons”, or you get multiple elites using the same weapon, neither of which seems like a great way to enthuse people about them.

Plus, it’s not like adding “shortbow” to a class that didn’t have it results in anything even remotely resembling the existing shortbow skills the class had.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

You do realize ANet has to implement more than just one weapon when they implement new ones?

They can’t release one weapon that’s usable with every spec because it would totally destroy item balance in game (there needed to be much more types of this weapon).

And because of that I think we’ll never get one. That’s a bit sad but that’s how it is. I think opening up already existing weapons with elite specs is a good step to give you more choice without totally destroying the item balance.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I’m still wondering about the timing of the next expansion. Because they said they want to release it in a slightly longer yet comparative window to a LW update, would it be unreasonable to think that, with all the testing and tweaking they’ll want to with the classes, they could formally announce the expansion prior to the season 3 finale? Given how they trickled out the specs last time and had testing periods, if they waited until after the LW finale ended it could seem rushed by comparison.

Next Elite Specs

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

New weapons might work better as a mastery accessible via the environment somehow (some sort of Exotic Weapons Proficiency deal). It would mean that any class can use it, only one skin needs to be established, and it won’t impact PvP or WvW balance. They could implement profession-specific weapon skills or just use a common set.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam