Next Expansion...

Next Expansion...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NateBabe.6308

NateBabe.6308

Wait hold up, conspiracy theory time… Is there even a 2nd expansion?? :O Anet leaves us with absolutely nothing.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They confirmed they working on another expansion shortly after HoT.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Next expansion,
HoS

Heart of Sand

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Next expansion,
HoS

Heart of Sand

Next expansion. Frost and Flame. To show it’s an end of the Flame and Frost Story arc.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_and_Frost

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet said a long time ago they had 70 people working on the expansion, and that was then. Most people expect the expansion to be officially announced in the next couple of months.

You know before HoT was announced, there was no talk of an expansion either.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem is Anet has a tendency to informally announce things long before most developers would.

Most games/expansions etc. aren’t announced until a large chunk of the work on them has already been done (hint: if the announcement includes screenshots then they’ve been working on it for months, if it includes a video then it’s probably a year in at least). Until then the developers don’t talk about it at all. They may say they’re working on “something big” but they won’t say what. Even when news of Elder Scrolls Online’s expansion “leaked” ahead of the official announcement it was only about a week before, until then no one knew they were working on one.

Whereas Anet told us they were working on a new expansion pretty much as soon as they were done with HoT’s release cycle and had the Living Story going again. At that point it’s unlikely they had anything to show, they may not have even started the work of actually building it, just the ‘real-world’ stuff – coming up with an overall theme, concept art, the storyline etc.

They did the same with the release of GW2 – they told us they were making a sequel to GW1 pretty much as soon as they had made that decision – before they even released Eye of the North (the expansion which acted as an intro to GW2 lore and races). Then when it took them years to make it people were freaking out that it was “endlessly delayed” or claiming it was all a lie and would never happen even though it didn’t take any longer to make than any other MMO.

HoT was the exception – they didn’t tell anyone they were making an expansion until they did the big announcement at some convention and the only reason people guessed what was coming was because they wouldn’t do a big announcement for anything less than that.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, and they had said they were working on ‘something big’, but would not say what it was.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

If we’re going conspiracy then HoT had four playable maps and a few legendaries. LS3 has the same amount of playable maps and a few legendaries and will have to be paid for like Ls2.

shocker
LS3 is the expansion the content about the same just with map size offset by more legends, raids, and fractals than HoT. There just trickling it out so people don’t leave in mass. Good call TC

Before anyone goes blah blah but Anet said this or that so such and such. Anet has said a lot of things that never happen. Heck I don’t even believe what comes out of my own presidents moujtg so why give Anet a pass.

Anet is Fake News

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I think they will try to avoid the half-year-long content drought they had before HoT release. Back then, they announced the expansion at the start of the year and players waited until late June to get a specialization update. The actual expansion came in October, another 3 months later.

Hopefully this time they make sure the expansion launch can be within 3-4 months of the end of lliving world season 3.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I think they will try to avoid the half-year-long content drought they had before HoT release.

They were actually making more during that period than they were during the last several months of season 2.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Anet said a long time ago they had 70 people working on the expansion, and that was then. Most people expect the expansion to be officially announced in the next couple of months.

You know before HoT was announced, there was no talk of an expansion either.

They almost certainly have more than 70 developers working on it by now. Remember, when that announcement was made, ANet was still working hard on that April 2016 patch to fix HoT and various other things. I wouldn’t be surprised if they currently have over 100 devs working on the next expansion, especially with rumors going around that they are going to announce it soon.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/

It probably got cancelled the very next day. You can’t trust a business.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can trust a business wants to make money. Cancelling an expansion the day after they announced it publicly is a good way to lose money; I think we can safely rule out that theory.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

You can trust a business wants to make money. Cancelling an expansion the day after they announced it publicly is a good way to lose money; I think we can safely rule out that theory.

No, I work at a business factory and my job is a business man. Job #1 around here is to be greedy and evil, if you can’t do both we will find someone who will.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

If we’re going conspiracy then HoT had four playable maps and a few legendaries. LS3 has the same amount of playable maps and a few legendaries and will have to be paid for like Ls2.

shocker
LS3 is the expansion the content about the same just with map size offset by more legends, raids, and fractals than HoT. There just trickling it out so people don’t leave in mass. Good call TC

Before anyone goes blah blah but Anet said this or that so such and such. Anet has said a lot of things that never happen. Heck I don’t even believe what comes out of my own presidents moujtg so why give Anet a pass.

Anet is Fake News

You are conveniently leaving out:

- the revamp of the engine they had to do for gliding and HoT mechanics to actually work (as well as then introducing this engine to the old world. They specifically said that the engine took a huge chunk of developement ressources. We even had the no-SAB fiasco that year since they hadn’t come around to reworking it with the new engine)

- the complexity of HoT maps versus the Living World maps

- the entire redesign of traits and all the classes. Yes, while technically this came before HoT it still required a ton of ressources and was part of the expansion

- tons of other stuff

When accusing others of fake newsing, maybe at least pretend to make proper comparisons.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

shocker

Anet is Fake News

- the revamp of the engine they had to do for gliding and HoT mechanics to actually work (as well as then introducing this engine to the old world. They specifically said that the engine took a huge chunk of developement ressources. We even had the no-SAB fiasco that year since they hadn’t come around to reworking it with the new engine)

- the entire redesign of traits and all the classes. Yes, while technically this came before HoT it still required a ton of ressources and was part of the expansion

- tons of other stuff

When accusing others of fake newsing, maybe at least pretend to make proper comparisons.

Hmm…
Seems your quoting a bunch of Fake News

But don’t you worry cause were gonna make Tyria great again just look at Bloodstone Fen it was a Yuuge improvement to the gliding mechanics what with the lazers, bombs, and aerial acrobatics not to mention the new gathering nodes. Ember Bay had the best Yuuussage of ley lines yet to traverse the map not to mention those thermal vents and all that water. Bitterfrost had the torch, water, and the bitter cold area of constant degen with new Quaggans to boot. Lake Doric’s subtle day and night event cycle and town invasion mechanics were fan-tastic. All those raids and rewards plus the legends and achievements heck I’m still getting fan mail from mah well buddy. Plus mode selective balancing trumps any sort of balancing they’ve done prior just look at the people happy that epidemic got a wvw fix.

They say since its three teams that each team is probably gonna make two maps each which is six playable maps. Six is average for most expansion so your fake news is debunked LS3 was the expansion they talked about earlier.

Let’s also not forget the cats as the cat collecting obviously took more time and energy than anything in HoT. If it was easy we’d have cat collecting for the guild hall itself too but not a single cat to collect for the hall.

Oh also since you took me seriously you didn’t even have to mention all the behind the scene stuff like reworking the game to fit gliding in or map complexity. A more straightforward approach would be to simply bring up the guild hall system along with the hall decoration system plus scribe and then call it a day.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

shocker

Anet is Fake News

- tons of other stuff

Hmm…
Seems your quoting a bunch of Fake News

But don’t you worry cause were gonna make Tyria great again just look at Bloodstone Fen it was a Yuuge improvement to the gliding mechanics what with the lazers, bombs, and aerial acrobatics not to mention the new gathering nodes. Ember Bay had the best Yuuussage of ley lines yet to traverse the map not to mention those thermal vents and all that water. Bitterfrost had the torch, water, and the bitter cold area of constant degen with new Quaggans to boot. Lake Doric’s subtle day and night event cycle and town invasion mechanics were fan-tastic. All those raids and rewards plus the legends and achievements heck I’m still getting fan mail from mah well buddy. Plus mode selective balancing trumps any sort of balancing they’ve done prior just look at the people happy that epidemic got a wvw fix.

They say since its three teams that each team is probably gonna make two maps each which is six playable maps. Six is average for most expansion so your fake news is debunked LS3 was the expansion they talked about earlier.

Let’s also not forget the cats as the cat collecting obviously took more time and energy than anything in HoT. If it was easy we’d have cat collecting for the guild hall itself too but not a single cat to collect for the hall.

Oh also since you took me seriously you didn’t even have to mention all the behind the scene stuff like reworking the game to fit gliding in or map complexity. A more straightforward approach would be to simply bring up the guild hall system along with the hall decoration system plus scribe and then call it a day.

Reworking an engine =/= how the new mechanics get used on the actual maps. I’m talking coding and actual physics engine, you know the stuff behind what you see that let’s the game work the way it does.

Here the quote from Colin as to why SAB did not return, sure he might be making stuff up about the engine rework not allowing them to have it that year, yet what would his gain be? If a rework of something as small as SAB doesn’t fit in, let’s just extrapolate how complex this has to be for the entire game.

Rinith’s reply is probably the closest description to the reality as of today where we stand with SAB. We’ve made a number of changes to the physics engine as a result of places like Silverwastes, Dry Top, and the expac that means we need to go back and re-work SAB to use all the new movement systems. It also needs a pretty solid rewards overhaul, and I know Josh would love to make some changes to world 2 before it returns.

We’re all focused on expansion – both the announced details, and the un-announced details and simply can’t peel anyone off a team to work on it right now without it effecting expac. The two SAB worlds we’ve seen will return as we’ve said before, but simply put our focus right now is on making the expansion amazing ????

http://dulfy.net/2015/07/01/gw2-colin-explains-why-sab-is-not-returning-soon/

Fun =/= complexity. Some of the simplest things in programming sometimes require the most complex amount of work. To argue the LW3 maps are in any way nearly as complex as the HoT maps is beyond silly.

I decided not to mentione very single change that came with HoT. Thought you might be smart enough to look those up yourself.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

I believe that GRR Martin is writing the plot for it. So it should be done any time now or in 20 years.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I believe that GRR Martin is writing the plot for it. So it should be done any time now or in 20 years.

Would that mean that LS3 is a Bleach style filler arc?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Well, that would explain Braham, now that you mention it.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Next Expansion...

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

No, I work at a business factory and my job is a business man. Job #1 around here is to be greedy and evil, if you can’t do both we will find someone who will.

I’m curious what a “business factory” is and what kind of job a “business man” is.

As IWN stated, and you did in a strange way, it is a business’ desire to make money. So why tell IWN that he/she “No”? I think IWN was spot on.

I think that the next expansion will be announced sometime this year and hopefully dropping next year.

Next Expansion...

Moonyeti.3296

I’m curious what a “business factory” is and what kind of job a “business man” is.

As IWN stated, and you did in a strange way, it is a business’ desire to make money. So why tell IWN that he/she “No”? I think IWN was spot on.

I think that the next expansion will be announced sometime this year and hopefully dropping next year.

I was being facetious. I do agree with him, I was presenting a sarcastic and disingenuous counterpoint for a cheap laugh, basically.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I was being facetious. I do agree with him, I was presenting a sarcastic and disingenuous counterpoint for a cheap laugh, basically.

LOL. Sorry. Didn’t pick up on that. It seemed serious.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

LOL. Sorry. Didn’t pick up on that. It seemed serious.

In that case, I’ll point out that my post was a(nother) cynical goad because I believe we lack information. I expect something to be announced at some point, but I am not 100% convinced we will.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Next Expansion...

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

Let it be Cantha.
I want to open that Xunlai chest in my HoM.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Next Expansion...

Moonyeti.3296

Let it be Cantha.
I want to open that Xunlai chest in my HoM.

My ancient ancestor left a stack of consumables in there, not sure how that is going to smell when opening it after 250+ years.