Next new playable race?

Next new playable race?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Hylek were the next playable race? I can see it now….

Year 2020: Guild Wars 2: Mists of Hylek expansion is released under controversy that the race as a whole are ripped off of kermit the frog. 12 million players lost.

What race do you think it would seriously be?

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

For reasons that have been expounded on in every new race thread ever, Tengu are the only viable choice currently in the game.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

For reasons that have been expounded on in every new race thread ever, Tengu are the only viable choice currently in the game.

Can you tell me more?

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

$100 – no questions asked – for playable centaurs.

Hylek are cool, but kind of a nightmare from an art assets and animation standpoint.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Tengu most likely, gonna copy/paste charr animations…hell yeah >.>

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Can you tell me more?

Tengu pull into the lead because there aren’t any major obstacles in the way, and because they have been built into the setting in a way that seems poised for easy transition into PC status. They have a large area where a city and starting zone could easily fit, they have a culture with the kind of built-in divisions that would suggest easy options for the different starting stories, they have a similar animation rig to the Charr, and it’s been stated that they were in development to be Launch PCs but had to be shelved due to lack of time (where the only other race we know was also being considered, the Centaurs, were shelved for technical issues instead).

Other races are possible, but Tengu are the only ones who don’t have any hoops to jump through before being considered for development.

Here’s the rundown I’ve posted elsewhere:

Things we’re very unlikely to see:

1.) Races whose bodies would make them need unique or extra equipment, and who couldn’t base animations off of the same rigs as the existing races, like Krait and Naga with no legs, Centaurs with extra legs, Ettins with two heads, or Forgotten with no legs and extra arms. Largos, with their need for breathers on land, and the probable incompatibility of their big fluffy fins/wings with most back gear, qualify for the first part as well. Quaggans and Hylek, who don’t really have necks to speak of, would also fit this category.

2.) Races that have qualities that couldn’t easily be made into a Racial Utility Skill, like the Dredge’s permanent immunity to Blindness, a Mursaat’s near-permanent invisibility and intangibility, a Harpy, Mursaat or Seer’s flight, a Centaur’s higher base movement speed, a Skritt’s fluctuating communal intelligence, or an Ogre’s permanent pets.

3.) Races that are currently included in the Order Stories as “lesser” Tribal cultures. Skritt, Quaggans, Ogres, Hylek and Grawl, all of whom are quite a bit less technologically and culturally advanced than the PC races… except Skritt, who don’t reliably understand higher tech.

4.) Races that would push the maximum size scale even bigger than Norn and Charr, like Kodan, Ogres, Ettins and Giants.

5.) Races with difficult to customize appearances. The Kodan are neat and all, but there are only so many things you can do with Polar Bear Person, especially since the couple models with tattoos seem reserved culturally for very high positions. Likewise, Hylek seem to be distinguished from each others in the same tribe (color) by equipment only.

6.) Races the developers have already stated they considered, then deliberately avoided. So Dwarves (to distinguish themselves from the generic fantasy pack) and Centaurs (because of animation problems).

7.) Races whose very existence is a big secret, which having hundreds of them running around as PCs would spoil. Seers and Mursaat obviously, but also the Largos. Also races who have potential access to story-breaking secrets, so pretty much everyone who was around for the last Elder Dragon Uprising – Seers, Mursaat, Forgotten, Jotun and Dwarves.

8.) Race’s homeland is underwater. It would be interesting, but unpopular enough that I really doubt ANet would do it. Quaggans, Krait and Largos.

This leaves Tengu, and only Tengu, as the sentient race positioned for easy transition to PC status. I’m not saying any of the above is impossible, but I am saying that they offer challenges that make them more difficult to implement.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Next new playable race?

Nike.2631

Roll Norn. Reach level 30. Buy/Slot Raven Spirit Elite skill. Click…

…Play Tengu (briefly) .

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I would love to see Hylek as playable but i think it may cause problems in wvw where you do have Hylek that you can kill i am not sure if it would work out so well.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Tengu should be next, they already have a major city, lore and some animations (from SP boss in Caledon Forest).

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Give us centaurs as a playable race. Then people will stop asking for mounts.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

Largos would be great. Tengu first though, so people finally shut up about them.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’m ready to be disappointed when Tengu have all the same issues with armor that charr currently have.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

ahahahahahahahaha

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Kadub.8743

Kadub.8743

Moa’s with deployable back armor that pops out robot arms that can equip weapons.

Next new playable race?

Nike.2631

Moa’s with deployable back armor that pops out robot arms that can equip weapons.

That’s actually a pretty good description of one of the junior engineers in the post-TNG Star Trek: Titan novels. At least which class he plays would be pretty obvious .

Next new playable race?

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

Hylek as a playable race? ew…hellz no.

Tengu – yes
Krait…maybe (it’d be cool)

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

skritt or i quit!

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Kadub.8743

Kadub.8743

I was thinking escaped Inquest experiment to match up with the up coming Thaumanova Reactor dungeon

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Quiet 2 legs

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

I already feel like there are too many species, I think Anet needs to kill off a few.

I really don’t like humanoid species that still have too many features of the animal they used to be. There is a reason why humans don’t look like gorillas or apes and that same logic would apply to the other species as well. So there shouldn’t be humanoid animal races.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Kill All Charr ! Kill All CHARR! KILL ALL CHARR!

Next new playable race?

Posted by: ghostrunners.2437

ghostrunners.2437

I’d like to suggest dwarf. ArenaNet has done so many things right with GW2, I would love to see their take on traditional lore. It’s weird, but with so many new rpgs/mmos, the trend is to move away from what people are used to, to constantly innovate, but through subtraction, not addition. I had to go back for a while and play World of Warcraft just so I can experience what an Elf, or Dwarf are about again. Take it with a grain of salt, but I couldn’t get into Charr, I like ugly – Orcs, Ogres, trolls – but those things are like a barge of goats. I wish they werent allowed to use weapons/armors.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

It’ll be something that can just use the existing animations and armor. This is why we won’t ever get something like centaurs since it will require the armor to be entirely redone, whereas Tengu can just reuse the Charr armor meshes and stretch them appropriately.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Hylek are cool, but kind of a nightmare from an art assets and animation standpoint.

Anyway, i don’t think they can do worse than they already did with Norn & Charrs and jumping puzzles, and with Charrs and armors…

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

I’d like to suggest dwarf. ArenaNet has done so many things right with GW2, I would love to see their take on traditional lore. It’s weird, but with so many new rpgs/mmos, the trend is to move away from what people are used to, to constantly innovate, but through subtraction, not addition. I had to go back for a while and play World of Warcraft just so I can experience what an Elf, or Dwarf are about again. Take it with a grain of salt, but I couldn’t get into Charr, I like ugly – Orcs, Ogres, trolls – but those things are like a barge of goats. I wish they werent allowed to use weapons/armors.

Dwarves exist in the original (and 1 exists in gw2 if you look around for him). They all turned into living stone and are fighting the molten elder dragon under ground. By lore standards they shouldn’t be playable since they pretty much sacrificed themselves

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Ooze is the only possible option. Just squeeze one into a roughly human shaped zentai suit and Robert’s your father’s brother.

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Kylah.7391

Kylah.7391

Dwarves exist in the original (and 1 exists in gw2 if you look around for him). They all turned into living stone and are fighting the molten elder dragon under ground. By lore standards they shouldn’t be playable since they pretty much sacrificed themselves

If it was in an expansion pack with a story revolving around maybe a hidden underground dwarven city, and your mission is to revive the dwarven race by turning them mortal again. That would be so cool.

Personally I’d love dwarves but I’d also like to see that talking polar bear race playable too! ^.^

Kylah Bliss a Thief in the Shadows
[ASOS] Asuran Society of Socialites
Skype -Kylalalah-

Next new playable race?

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

If it isn’t Skritt I am writing an angry letter to my Queen