Next update: Tower of Nightmares

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Toxins and pollution? MFW Captain Planet makes a cameo.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

“except maybe some kind of really indirect manipulation…”

Bingo. Kind of her MO.

Um… Her idea of “indirect manipulation” seems to be “they work for me, because they want to live”. She’s hardly subtle. And that should not work on krait.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I still don’t see how Scarlet fits into the lore. A sylvari graduating at all asuran colleges? wtf

You mean lore has to have no exceptions to anything.

Sylvari are naturally curious about everything. An exceptional Sylvari goes to Rata Sum and applies and naturally the Asura want to keep her out By the same token, if she does well, some Asurans would actually want to see what she comes up with (if for no other reason to see the limitations of the Sylvari brain).

Staying within the realms of the lore doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions. There is zero reason why Scarlet can’t have gone to one of the Asuran universities. None at all.

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Um… Her idea of “indirect manipulation” seems to be “they work for me, because they want to live”. She’s hardly subtle. And that should not work on krait.

Exactly, the Krait would blindly fight a superior force (The Pact, anyone?) than kneel down before them. Let alone one person. They wouldn’t even do it with the intention of eventually stabbing them in the back.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Exactly, the Krait would blindly fight a superior force (The Pact, anyone?) than kneel down before them. Let alone one person. They wouldn’t even do it with the intention of eventually stabbing them in the back.

Let me pose an alternative theory. Scarlet is supposed to be some insane and gifted genius. In addition she has supposedly seen and understand the great alchemy itself. Perhaps she was able to convince the Krait she is an emissary of their prophet (or even the prophet herself). Krait are shapeshifters after all and I’m sure she could change her own appearance if needed.

The best way to get such a zealot group like that to do what you want is to convince them they are doing their god’s (or in this case their prophet’s) will. In the end, that supersedes just about anything for a group like that.

P.S. I’m really hoping they bring in the lore element of Krait shape changing when they are close to death. That was great in GW1 and is actually in the GW2 wiki.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

P.S. I’m really hoping they bring in the lore element of Krait shape changing when they are close to death. That was great in GW1 and is actually in the GW2 wiki.

Oh gods I’d forgotten about that. Been a while since I’ve ventured into EotN areas.

I found this to be so super annoying when trying to take a group of them out. They always seemed to swap to mes and ele, which hit way too hard. I can only imagine how much more of a pain in the kitten they’ll be in GW2 if they get that option back. They’re annoying as it is with all their pulls and stuns.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

zamalek.2154

I’m not trying to bash on your argument here, but some clarifications do need to be made.

In addition she has supposedly seen and understand the great alchemy itself.

In some interview with a dev it’s stated that was a hallucination. I can’t find the dev interview, but I do have one post where the legendary Konig reminds us of it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tower/Why-I-think-Mordremoth-is-next/first#post3079408

Perhaps she was able to convince the Krait she is an emissary of their prophet (or even the prophet herself).

Plausible, one thing is she isn’t a Krait, bringing us to:

Krait are shapeshifters after all and I’m sure she could change her own appearance if needed.

She isn’t a mesmer (don’t worry I thought she was one two until the friendly folks on the lore forum corrected me), she’s an engineer.

The best way to get such a zealot group like that to do what you want is to convince them they are doing their god’s (or in this case their prophet’s) will. In the end, that supersedes just about anything for a group like that.

I can completely agree with that. The question is: how? Or at least “how?” without having a lame excuse? The only thing is I don’t want to see that happen because the Krait are one bad-kitten race and I don’t want to see SB dragging them through the mud.

My argument wasn’t that SB won’t be involved (in fact I pretty sure she will be); it was that either: established lore is going to be contradicted -or- there is going to be a weak explanation for it.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“Um… Her idea of “indirect manipulation” seems to be “they work for me, because they want to live”. She’s hardly subtle. And that should not work on krait.”

Really? Because that is not how flame and frost felt.

zamalek.2154

“Um… Her idea of “indirect manipulation” seems to be “they work for me, because they want to live”. She’s hardly subtle. And that should not work on krait.”

Flame and Frost wasn’t the Krait. These guys are really xenophobic. A slight exaggeration would be to say that there would be a better chance of an elder dragon agreeing to go along with SB than there would be with the Krait. It’s not much of an exaggeration though.

Auroraglade

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

:| tower of conditons and boon removing, i hope mobs will get a decent A.I

so far looks the only game “add” i like after game release!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yep, by that time the story was still believable – and scarlet wasn’t in the picture yet. It went downhill later (and yes, that’s pretty much Scarlet’s explanation why aetherblades and molten alliance work for her now).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I’m not trying to bash on your argument here, but some clarifications do need to be made.

In addition she has supposedly seen and understand the great alchemy itself.

In some interview with a dev it’s stated that was a hallucination. I can’t find the dev interview, but I do have one post where the legendary Konig reminds us of it: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/tower/Why-I-think-Mordremoth-is-next/first#post3079408

Perhaps she was able to convince the Krait she is an emissary of their prophet (or even the prophet herself).

Plausible, one thing is she isn’t a Krait, bringing us to:

Krait are shapeshifters after all and I’m sure she could change her own appearance if needed.

She isn’t a mesmer (don’t worry I thought she was one two until the friendly folks on the lore forum corrected me), she’s an engineer.

I can completely agree with that. The question is: how? Or at least “how?” without having a lame excuse? The only thing is I don’t want to see that happen because the Krait are one bad-kitten race and I don’t want to see SB dragging them through the mud.

My argument wasn’t that SB won’t be involved (in fact I pretty sure she will be); it was that either: established lore is going to be contradicted -or- there is going to be a weak explanation for it.

You make some good points, though if I may counter with a few thoughts as well. As for her not being a mesmer, I knew she was an engineer as well. However she obviously has a lot of talents beyond typical engineering so I wouldn’t put it beyond her abilities. Even if it is beyond her abilities, she has a lot of minions and employees and I’m sure a talented mesmer has to be within her employ.

As for the great alchemy understanding, hallucination or not she does have an understanding of the world that rivals or surpasses just about everybody in Tyria. Those portals for invasion is a perfect example. Further reasoning is that she fully completed all Asura schools which is a feat in and of itself unrivaled. If we assume those schools team valid understanding of the universe, coupled with the studies with the other races and her experience, she can be said to understand the universe in ways that others simply can’t. This itself could lead one to the brink of insanity, but a very dangerously informed insanity.

That said, I think if they do it right and she tricked the Krait this wouldn’t have to break from existing lore. I think there is enough foundation to fit it in. Another theory is that perhaps she has started dabbling in altering a sect of the Krait (maybe that is why they look different) to break them to her will. Either way it is possible to keep the lore in tact. UNFORTUNATELY given the current writing I don’t think this will happen, they will probably take the easy road of “it’s this way because we said so” in this.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

Oh come on, its called the tower of NIGHTMARES… The only way they could have made it more obvious is if they said “Tower of HEY THIS IS SCARLETS TOWER YO!”

I suppose it could have something to do with the nightmare but not scarlet herself, but the only way that would happen is if the krait were corrupted by a plant dragon or something like that.

(edited by Anthony.7219)

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

This sounds cool and the idea of Scarlet teaming up with the Krait frankly gives me the heeby jeebies but if this is another LS event tied up in a 5 man dungeon I am going to throw all my toys out of my cot, just saying.

Not teaming up with. Dominating. Ruling. Assimilating.

Scarlet is Evil Trahearne. She’s making her Nega-Pact. Her flunkies derive no benefit that I can see from serving her, they just do, because she is so charismatic and brilliant and evil and clever that they can’t resist.

And of course it will be a 5-man dungeon.

And of course it will vanish after a limited time.

And of course it won’t have a thing to do with the Elder Dragons.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.