Nightfury... Seriously????

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NightShadow.1429

NightShadow.1429

I’m not one to complain often, but this is just ridiculous…. Next time you guys decide to mysteriously drop a pretty awesome skin into the game with the cryptic quote “be prepared to work for it” be honest from the get go and label it “be prepared to PAY for it”. These shoulder skins are the price of a legendary to craft, with the price only going to go UP because of the festival gated content required to craft them.

I was honestly prepared to grind for them during the two weeks of Halloween, I don’t mind putting time and effort via scavenger hunt into a really cool weapon. However, given all the gold sinks that are already in the game, and the fact that I would like, at some point to craft a legendary, these Halloween shoulders are something that, while once I was looking forward too, I have now completely given up on… They were also heavily advertised as part of the Halloween celebration, and it honestly has almost nothing to do with it apart from an extremely rare drop.

The only people that are going to craft this are the ones that have money laying around or the ones that are going to decide to go for this shoulder piece instead of a legendary.

“Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I wanted to make these, and after seeing the recipe I just said NOPE!

Posted by: Hedge.8760

Hedge.8760

There are four other threads on just the front page about Nightfury – did you have to make a fifth?

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

Blame the TP flippers for the price. They have been pouncing on everything desirable in the past 2 weeks and jacking the price up. Endless bat tonic went from 80 to 278 gold.

Best bet is to buy the time limited stuff and then sit on your hands and wait for the rest of the materials to go down in price.

Amineo.8951

Blame the TP flippers for the price. They have been pouncing on everything desirable in the past 2 weeks and jacking the price up. Endless bat tonic went from 80 to 278 gold.

Best bet is to buy the time limited stuff and then sit on your hands and wait for the rest of the materials to go down in price.

He’s right, get the 4 tattered bat wings, 1 endless bat tonic with ToT bags (or buy it) and wait.

NightShadow.1429

There are four other threads on just the front page about Nightfury – did you have to make a fifth?

The others are about the discovery, this is addressing the ludicrous price and items associated with it.

NightShadow.1429

I have the bat wings, the endless bat brew is not something I’m going to dump 300g into, and the price will from here on out only rise even more basically negating the other items stabilizing in price.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s actually pretty great. Completely cosmetic items that are expensive to acquire are fine long term goals that doesn’t lock you out of content.

The only reason to be upset about it is if you only wanted it if it were cheap.

Like legendaries, if you want something bad enough, you’ll generally be prepared to pay the cost.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Amineo.8951

It’s actually pretty great. Completely cosmetic items that are expensive to acquire are fine long term goals that doesn’t lock you out of content.

Like legendaries, if you want something bad enough, you’ll generally be prepared to pay the cost.

Yeah, but you need HoT for this…

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

This is a FESTIVAL item that requires FESTIVAL materials. It is not a legendary and should not be treated like one

NightShadow.1429

Nope, I figured they’d make a FESTIVAL item actually acquirable, and not a huge money sink (because there aren’t enough of those in the game). They did it right back in 2012 with the Mad King Memoire hunt that had to be completed. They could of easily done something similar for these, making it harder and more of a TIME investment instead of a “who has enough gold” investment.

There are plenty of skins that require large amounts of gold or gems to get, it would be nice if every so often they put in a skin that was actually obtainable through other methods and allowed for someone to invest time over the festival and be rewarded, instead it’s more praying to RNGesus for an Endless Batwing Brew (since that is already almost 500g and won’t be going down) on top of dumping more money that I’ve ever had on the account into the other mats.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Flax is probably one of the most common nodes in maguuma, i dont know why people have problem with just harvesting it for flax seeds (30s) and fibre (10s).

John Smith even made a thread about it on the forums, it got like 5 replies until it got buried on page X.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

Should know by now that anet’s main concern in this game is money. Why do you think they reduced dungeon rewards and sw to hell? They made obtaining gold helpless without purchasing HoT. I lost respect for Anet and refuse to buy HoT because of this reason. They couldn’t even throw in a special gift for the veterans who has been playing since launch when purchasing the expansion, instead they throw the deal in for newcomers getting the core game for free at the price of expansion..

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

This is a FESTIVAL item that requires FESTIVAL materials. It is not a legendary and should not be treated like one

It requires a few materials from a recurring festival event. Just like the crossing, and other such weapons released two years ago. You can garner the majority of its components now, and will be able to continue to do so via the TP throughout the year.

Just because something doesn’t have “legendary” slapped on it does not mean it isn’t rare or expensive. This event added several new skins that are quite easy to obtain, as well as returning and new ones that are not. There are many non-legendary items or skins in the game that are extremely costly and difficult to acquire.

It just so happens you want this one and aren’t happy that it wasn’t as easy to obtain as you thought it would be.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I’m not one to complain often, but this is just ridiculous…. Next time you guys decide to mysteriously drop a pretty awesome skin into the game with the cryptic quote “be prepared to work for it” be honest from the get go and label it “be prepared to PAY for it”.

So let me get this straight: You’re annoyed because you can’t get this skin? Do you still desire it then? Why?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Carighan.6758

You mean the people removing gold from the economy are responsible? For inflation? Really? o.o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

NightShadow.1429

I’m not one to complain often, but this is just ridiculous…. Next time you guys decide to mysteriously drop a pretty awesome skin into the game with the cryptic quote “be prepared to work for it” be honest from the get go and label it “be prepared to PAY for it”.

So let me get this straight: You’re annoyed because you can’t get this skin? Do you still desire it then? Why?

Nope, I’m annoyed because there are different methods of aquisition for an item that doesn’t involve ludicrous amounts of gold. And no, I don’t desire this skin anymore because of the price tag associated with it… I wanted it because I like the efffects and had plans for a few of my characters to go with their armour, not because I wanted to feel like a special snowflake.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

it would be very very annoying if these were easy to get and everyone had them.
i don’t plan on making them myself but i’m glad they wont be something you’ll see very often.

NightShadow.1429

You mean the people removing gold from the economy are responsible? For inflation? Really? o.o

…. You obviously don’t understand how TP flipping works lol They’re removing the items and inlating the price to what they want because they are the sole possessors of the items, as soon as someone lists it for lower, they buy it and flip it to make a higher profit, hence the bat tonic now being almost 500g compared to 16g at the start of the event coupled with an increase in demand.

NightShadow.1429

it would be very very annoying if these were easy to get and everyone had them.
i don’t plan on making them myself but i’m glad they wont be something you’ll see very often.

I never said they needed to be easy to get… there are other ways of making something hard to get and not putting it behind a 3000g pay wall.

Carighan.6758

Nope, I’m annoyed because there are different methods of aquisition for an item that doesn’t involve ludicrous amounts of gold.

Yes, and they’re frequently used. And?

NightShadow.1429

Nope, I’m annoyed because there are different methods of aquisition for an item that doesn’t involve ludicrous amounts of gold.

Yes, and they’re frequently used. And?

All I was saying is a Festival item, and one that was used as a selling point on the event page and during previews is something they should have actually had us work towards ala Mad King Memoires and not “more then a legendary” grind.

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Is mad kings memory everywhere? No. Given time, people will gradually where off the need to wear a shiny new item. I swear elitists make the dumbest excuses for these type of things

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The only other item in the game that is comparable to this is the preserved bee queen. It requires you to give up an ascended slot and take subpar stats. Yet it still sells for ~2000g.

This item is ascended can be given any stats you want and has an even better effect.

Anyone who expected it to be less than 2000g was just having unrealistic expectations.

Posted by: Vella the knight.6072

Vella the knight.6072

The only other item in the game that is comparable to this is the preserved bee queen. It requires you to give up an ascended slot and take subpar stats. Yet it still sells for ~2000g.

This item is ascended can be given any stats you want and has an even better effect.

Anyone who expected it to be less than 2000g was just having unrealistic expectations.

its actually a condition dmg armor but you can choose which armor type it can be first time armor

NightShadow.1429

But at least the queen bee is a drop! If you don’t want to shell out the money then you can farm for it…. there is no other way to get this except to dish out the money.

NightShadow.1429

Is mad kings memory everywhere? No. Given time, people will gradually where off the need to wear a shiny new item. I swear elitists make the dumbest excuses for these type of things

Thank you.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

But at least the queen bee is a drop! If you don’t want to shell out the money then you can farm for it…. there is no other way to get this except to dish out the money.

It’s probably not a fair assessment. The drop rate is so low, You can probably run vine wrath 24/7 for a year and it probably still wont’ drop for you.

You can at least farm 24/7 for a year to make enough money to get the Nightfury.

That being said, both are on TP, it take less money to farm for queen bee.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

The gold is not removed from the economy, it is then being used to flip more stuff on the TP. ArenaNet allowed people to gain control of the market that now have so much gold that they can buy up pretty much anything in the game and resell at whatever price they see fit. It simply isn’t healthy for the economy and they should have stepped in to correct it, but to this very day haven’t. ArenaNet makes things every worse by sticking to anti-farming, which means a normal person can’t expect to even farm for their item in a timely manner. The salt on the wound is that ArenaNet then makes 250 of certain items required in the recipe.

What ArenaNet need to do is implement code that “sets” a certain price on an item and when the price on the TP is above that the drop rates increase by the same amount. So if something skyrockets 100x then the droprate will also increase by 100×. It might be able to be manipulated, but I’d assume that at that level it would be fairly detectable by ArenaNet and they could dole out some punishments. At least with this system the normal players could compete with the trading post bots.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There are angry and jealous people who want this luxury item. In the grand scheme of things, this is working as intended. There’s nothing wrong with an item that everyone is capable of getting, as long as you put effort into it. The fact that people are disheartened that it would take so long just means it’ll feel so much better to get for those who do invest their time.

…. You obviously don’t understand how TP flipping works lol They’re removing the items and inlating the price to what they want because they are the sole possessors of the items, as soon as someone lists it for lower, they buy it and flip it to make a higher profit, hence the bat tonic now being almost 500g compared to 16g at the start of the event coupled with an increase in demand.

Capitalism, ho!

You are only half right. Yes there are people taking advantage of an item that a lot of people deem desirable. This is how business works. High Demand couple with low Supply = high mark ups. You shouldn’t be mad that the price of the item is so high. Remember, the price wouldn’t be so high of there wasn’t someone willing to actually pay those prices. As long as there’s a market with players willing to pay high prices, we’ll continue to sell it to them. It wouldn’t make sense for me to sell something like Spark for 500 Gold, when there’s someone willing to pay twice that price.

Now as for the other part of the TP, it acts like a Gold Sink. The 15% tax we all get hit with when our items sell is lost. Gone. Vanished. It’s removed from the game. The higher priced the item, the more Gold is removed from circulation.

Speaking on the item itself, now that I know exactly what to farm for, I’m gonna try to make this. It looks good, and I want to be a special snowflake.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Chpoit.6498

Chpoit.6498

I’d argue it’s not the flippers, but people who manipulate the market, both are very different.

Also, when the demand blows up and the supply can’t follow, the prices go up, regardless of wether or not someone is manipulating the market.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Welcome to the world of John Smith, where everything’s a gold sink and the profits don’t exist.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: evadrepus.1280

evadrepus.1280

People are upset because of the buildup. This item was featured in the Halloween posts, talked up big on Twitch, and other channels. They made a point of saying you could get it, although, in fairness, they did once say “be prepared to work for it.”

This isn’t working for it. Even if you had to harvest it all yourself, it’s still too much. Let’s take one item – need 6000 flax seeds. Let’s say you get 100 a day – that’s still 60 days. That’s not working hard, that’s a second job. If you don’t buy it, you have to have almost every tradeskill, most of them maxed or near maxed. That’s more time and money.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

This is the kind of thing you see in a full F2P game to promote $$$→gold.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Yeah, but you need HoT for this…

I think you can buy everything on the tp though. And the gift is old school.

Or are the materials that drop in HoT blocked off from people who don’t have the xpac? If so, what happens if you mail it to someone without the xpac?

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

People are upset because of the buildup. This item was featured in the Halloween posts, talked up big on Twitch, and other channels. They made a point of saying you could get it, although, in fairness, they did once say “be prepared to work for it.”

This isn’t working for it. Even if you had to harvest it all yourself, it’s still too much. Let’s take one item – need 6000 flax seeds. Let’s say you get 100 a day – that’s still 60 days. That’s not working hard, that’s a second job. If you don’t buy it, you have to have almost every tradeskill, most of them maxed or near maxed. That’s more time and money.

But they probably don’t intend people to make it day 1, or the first week. It’s a long term project. As for crafting, having everything maxed is not an issue for long term players.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: evadrepus.1280

evadrepus.1280

But they probably don’t intend people to make it day 1, or the first week. It’s a long term project. As for crafting, having everything maxed is not an issue for long term players.

But two of the items are time gated. The wings can be had via an uncommon drop. It might be 1 an hour, but it’ll drop in a reasonable amount of time.

Potion is a rare drop behind the RNG. Many people have opened 10K bags and gotten nothing. I’ve opened several thousand and the most amazing thing I’ve gotten is a single one of the Halloween exotics (5g on TP, if I didn’t want to click).

One way to help this would be allowing the Batwing Brew to be made into an endless one. then the 30k of them on the TP would have a use.

Posted by: Johnsen.6253

Johnsen.6253

I dont know how long I will keep playing the game. Just returned after 1 year break and it feel like grinding again.

Posted by: SeriousSituation.3462

SeriousSituation.3462

Honestly? People have posted about how easy this game is for years. Heart of Thorns has given opportunity for increased difficulty in nearly every respect. You don’t have to spend the time and effort to make these skins. No one is forcing you.

[Sarcasm]Hey, I want a Ferrari, it should be cheaper so I can buy it. No? Well that’s just unfair! [/Sarcarm]

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Honestly? People have posted about how easy this game is for years. Heart of Thorns has given opportunity for increased difficulty in nearly every respect. You don’t have to spend the time and effort to make these skins. No one is forcing you.

[Sarcasm]Hey, I want a Ferrari, it should be cheaper so I can buy it. No? Well that’s just unfair! [/Sarcarm]

Yeah but its like a F2P farm game item, not an event item from a B2P game…like how stuff usually is in this game like in the last few halloweens. This is more expensive than legendaries.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

The price looks pretty reasonable once the flax rush finishes running its course.

Meaning, yes, 6000 flax seeds looks like a huge amount with the insatiable demand of the market for the things right now – but the supply is gargantuan, it is all over the place in HoT, and once the big guilds have their guild halls established the demand should plummet.

Linseed oil was on a steady march downward before this recipe was discovered and I fully expect that trajectory to continue. The inputs on all these ingredients are just so huge, and people are going to be playing in the jungle for months to come.

I would sock away the batwing tonic and check the TP in February. The crafting cost won’t look so bad then.

(edited by Ensign.2189)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

How do you think these things are entering the marketplace in the first place? People wishing real hard and flapping their arms?

There is ABSOLUTELY a way of getting these. That you’re unwilling to do it should tell you why they’re valuable.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: quietscribe.1573

quietscribe.1573

For me, Halloween is my favourite festival of the year. I was super stoked about the new halloween items this year and dutifully forked out gems for the glider/backpack bat wing. However I really wanted the bat shoulders for my rp character, and I didn’t care if they were ascended or not, I just love the skin. I was prepared to grind out time in the dungeon and Labyrinth and throw some more money at the trading post for more trick or treat bags, but I expected that, like Mawdry and other ascended backpacks, all items would be able to be crafted or worked towards. I did not expect a critical item to be a pure rng drop, and a super rare one at that.

But when people finally found out the recipe earlier today, all my hype disappeared in a black cloud of depression. Endless Batwing Brew, which has no other way of getting it other than from a very low rng drop (people have opened over 6000 bags and not got one), and the price on the trading post has skyrocketed from 80g to 549g in the past 3 days and is likely to jump higher and higher over time.

You know what? That isn’t fun for me. It isn’t about the festival any more, it is about a vast goldsink that has nothing to do with the festival and everything to do with player profit. 80g I might have paid, but not this. There should have been some way for players to earn that brew, or craft it with enough normal batwing brews that you can get from the bags. Something, some way to make that rng drop not quite as horrific.

So yeah, there goes my hopes of getting the shoulders, me and many others. Anet stated you would have to work for the shoulders. Working for a goal is fine. This is not.

(edited by quietscribe.1573)

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

What? Everything is a drop. You can farm Nightfury, go out and get the Flax seeds, glacial/onyx lodestones, bat wings, heck, you can even ‘farm’ for the Endless Bat Tonic by killing stuff and getting Trick or Treat bags.

Although, I wouldn’t call a rare rng drop ‘farming’. It’s getting lucky.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

How do you think these things are entering the marketplace in the first place? People wishing real hard and flapping their arms?

There is ABSOLUTELY a way of getting these. That you’re unwilling to do it should tell you why they’re valuable.

lulwut? There are active maps running vinewrath 24/7. The queen bee is expensive because it has an extremely, EXTREMELY low drop rate.

You could conceivably run VW once a day for the next few years and never see one drop.

The idea of earning one isn’t even applicable here.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Blaquepauldron.6259

Blaquepauldron.6259

I’d like to say something HELPFUL

As someone who had NO luck getting the Endless Batwing Brew last year after days and hours of grinding bags: the minute I heard that the Brew was part of Night Fury I saw it go up to 60g I put my bid in at 50g and got it 20 minutes later. Foresight and common sense where key in the first 3 days of the “Hunt for Nightfury”.

If you’re like me and know you wont get the Brew this year after grinding/TP and opening yet another 1000-3000+ Trick-o-treat bags; my advice to you and everyone who want to avoid the cost related to these “Super Sexy Bat Pauldrons” is to…

1. Get your buts into the Labyrinth and or Ascent to Madness (if you need Tattered Bat Wings) and farm those for as long as you can devote time to.
2. Get loans from friends/guild mates and or small donations from the community.
3. Find a way to convince Anet to make the Endless Brew craftable from the one time use rare versions.

For now just focus on gathering the 4 Tatter Wings and the Endless Brew!

Again, in the future stay on top of these items if you truly desire them. after nearly a decade of playing mmos I’ve learned this lesson the hard way.

Posted by: veslarius.8425

veslarius.8425

Since it requires extremely expensive materials and many of them at that, including a gift designed to make a legendary weapon, they should keep it hard to get but at least convert it to a legendary armor piece. 6k Flax Seeds and 1.5k milling Stones is an insane amount to farm. 300 Linseed Oil at 5-8 gold per bottle is enough to make you want to resort to the insane flax and milling stone farm.
The gift of darkness requires 100 Onyx Lodestones, but on top of that, this thing requires 250 Glacial Lodestones. i haven’t even looked into the Vial of Green Goo but i bet i don’t even wanna know lol I was lucky and got the endless bat tonic for 145g as its 500-600 atm. Come on Anet, this is deserving of legendary armor status and even legendarys are not this hard to make.

Posted by: veslarius.8425

veslarius.8425

Just wanted to add another thought in the spirit of Anets new legendary weapons being account bound. Items such as the night fury, or anything thats just really hard to get in general. Perhaps Anet team could make sure these items are crafted only by materials that are account bound. This would force players to earn these items without being able to short cut it by dropping ridiculous amounts of cash bought gold into the trading post.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

For what it’s worth, a gold sink removes gold from the game. Waypoint fees are a good example of this.

The Trading Post is not a gold sink. The gold remains in another player’s account and in the game, regardless if the player chooses to use this gold or not.

Working for an item, hunting for ingredients is all well and good. Depending on RNG to reward you for your work is like hoping your employer will pay you for your week’s efforts on their behalf. That is not work, it’s gambling your time in hope of a reward.

RNG is not grind. RNG is not work. With no guarantee of success vs. effort, RNG is gambling. Nightfury is a gamble due to the (randomness and) rarity of one of it’s ingredients. You can put in enormous effort (time) in obtaining what you can, but unless your odds improve over time and effort spent to the point of a guaranteed drop on all of the ingredients, it’s still a gamble.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

For what it’s worth, a gold sink removes gold from the game. Waypoint fees are a good example of this.

The Trading Post is not a gold sink. The gold remains in another player’s account and in the game, regardless if the player chooses to use this gold or not.

Working for an item, hunting for ingredients is all well and good. Depending on RNG to reward you for your work is like hoping your employer will pay you for your week’s efforts on their behalf. That is not work, it’s gambling your time in hope of a reward.

RNG is not grind. RNG is not work. With no guarantee of success vs. effort, RNG is gambling. Nightfury is a gamble due to the (randomness and) rarity of one of it’s ingredients. You can put in enormous effort (time) in obtaining what you can, but unless your odds improve over time and effort spent to the point of a guaranteed drop on all of the ingredients, it’s still a gamble.

Do you even TP?

5% listing fee and additional 10% fee after it gets sold says otherwise.