Ninja change not announced in update notes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Curtis.1562

Curtis.1562

They made the suppression filter even more sensitive. It’s now across all characters/maps. You can no longer reset it by logging off, changing areas, or changing characters. You can no longer hop from map to map advertising your guild.

Seriously annoying. I thought it was bad before but now it’s even worse.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Working as intended.

Curtis.1562

Working as intended? They could have at least mentioned the change.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You can no longer hop from map to map advertising your guild.

Good, I detest guild spam.

The Burninator

Curtis.1562

One message per map like once a day? Considering the amount of new players looking for guilds, I’d say that’s a small price to pay. Our guild’s been gaining about 20members/day thanks to the sale.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

They made the suppression filter even more sensitive. It’s now across all characters/maps. You can no longer reset it by logging off, changing areas, or changing characters. You can no longer hop from map to map advertising your guild.

Seriously annoying. I thought it was bad before but now it’s even worse.

You did this? Well, I’m glad they changed it then. Every time I’ve seen peps advertising their guilds repeatedly like this, I’ve done the right-click report + Spam on them. Every one of them.

Want to advertise your guild in-game? Do so in PUG dungeons, in groups you’re in during WvW and sPvP, in groups at world events. Actually talk with other gamers. Do not do a generic copy&paste advertisement that is as invasive to chat as it is annoying to view.

Curtis.1562

It’s not repeatedly, each player will only see it once per day..max. You’re acting like I was sitting there in your map spamming my guild message every 5 minutes lol.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

You did this? Well, I’m glad they changed it then. Every time I’ve seen peps advertising their guilds repeatedly like this, I’ve done the right-click report + Spam on them. Every one of them.

Want to advertise your guild in-game? Do so in PUG dungeons, in groups you’re in during WvW and sPvP, in groups at world events. Actually talk with other gamers. Do not do a generic copy&paste advertisement that is as invasive to chat as it is annoying to view.

I got my best guildies like that. New people wanting a guild and some friends do not go “I should hop on the forums” (especially when the recruitment forum is a mess now), or "I should hop into a party! They normally read the map and go “I could join that, yeah!”
Recruiting trough dungeons is the worst idea I’ve seen suggested lol. And if you want to cut down on map spam, why not put in an LFG tool in game for guilds? Like in WoW there’s a specific tab with all the guilds advertising themselves. And you can apply trough there.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It’s not repeatedly, each player will only see it once per day..max. You’re acting like I was sitting there in your map spamming my guild message every 5 minutes lol.

To be fair, a number of guilds do do this. Post the message and then not too long later post it again. And it’s the same person doing it. Not saying you do this or that your guild condones that level of advertising, just that other guilds do do this. And well, those few who spam their guild advertisement in chat ruin it for those who do not spam their advertisement.

Those of us who keep our chat window small, means if a conversation is occurring, we lose half of the conversation to the guild ad. So when one is spamming, it’s very annoying.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

I got my best guildies like that. New people wanting a guild and some friends do not go “I should hop on the forums” (especially when the recruitment forum is a mess now), or "I should hop into a party! They normally read the map and go “I could join that, yeah!”

When I was new and wanted a Guild I hopped onto map chat posted what I wanted in a Guild and had my choice of 3 Guilds, they whispered me politely, within a couple of minutes. I liked it much more person to person.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So, this “new sensitivity?” Bug, or feature?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i dont love guild chat spam, however i think for the community as a whole, its very worth it.
I think the people against it are being a bit selfish. There are people out there looking for guilds, and guild spammers make it a lot easier to find a guild that fits your needs.

Until anet sets up some better systems i think guild spam is an acceptable annoyance

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

The easy solution (IMO) would be a guild recruiting chat channel, along with guild recruiting bulletin boards in all cities and outposts. Then guild recruiting ads in map chat could be treated like the spam that they are.

Posted by: Lunarhound.7324

Lunarhound.7324

I’ve wished more than once that there were a legit, non-invasive way for guilds to advertise themselves in game. Yeah, there are the recruitment forums, but as was stated previously, they’re a mess. I’d love to see guilds be able to build an in-game, taggable recruitment page that displays a logo, roster, information about the guild, has a contact button, etc. Players could access a guild browser in-game and browse based on whatever criteria they think best. No more perceived need to spam map chat.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

The easy solution (IMO) would be a guild recruiting chat channel, along with guild recruiting bulletin boards in all cities and outposts. Then guild recruiting ads in map chat could be treated like the spam that they are.

yes to all of this! Now that only the chat is spam marked, but we don’t get any of that (not even a recruiting channel), it feels kind okittenward for recruiting guilds :I

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

You can no longer hop from map to map advertising your guild.

I’m happy to hear this.

Sure, it would have been nice for Anet to announce this change but whatever, I’m happy they made an end to the annoying guild recruitment spamming (for the most part).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Most guilds don’t spam their message. They post once and move on. I ignore the messages. Yes, a few recruiters are too aggressive and the easy solution for me is to /block them (or if they were really out of hand, to /report them for spamming).

If there are changes to the suppression ruleset, I doubt it had anything to do with guilds.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

How about… don’t post the same message over and over? I have hardly EVER been suppressed in this game and I am a huge talker in Map Chat, Party Chat, Common Chat. You name it. Change up what you type, how you type it, etc. Pretty sure a copy-pasted Recruitment message is considered spam.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Sitael.4680

Sitael.4680

The feature was quite good to announce a guild-mission for players who’s guild can not do the mission etc. We used this possibility to help others to participate a guild mission.
Yes i know, it is still “possible”, but only if you send a different player to each map.