No Flying Mounts?

No Flying Mounts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Flying mounts will make gliding obsolete. I doubt they will ever appear.

Cars made horse drawn buggies obsolete, but progress always finds a way.

Except that’s not the real world. It’s a videogame and it’s a business. There’s no “progress” because the development is driven by the designers, not the users. Gliding is one of the major selling points of HoT. Why would the developers make it obsolete? To undermine their own sales?

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Flying mounts will make gliding obsolete. I doubt they will ever appear.

Cars made horse drawn buggies obsolete, but progress always finds a way.

Except that’s not the real world. It’s a videogame and it’s a business. There’s no “progress” because the development is driven by the designers, not the users. Gliding is one of the major selling points of HoT. Why would the developers make it obsolete? To undermine their own sales?

Technical problems that need to be overcome are more important than sales, and the current map design is not very flying friendly.

That said, assuming that technical problems and map design issues are solved somehow, there is one way to make it work without impacting HoT sales. Make HoT AND PoF requirements for flying mounts. That way you can see a flying mount as the next step in gliding, but only unlocks if you also have PoF. Or instead of an actual flying mount, give a mount that can glide and use all the unlocked HoT mastery abilities while doing so, like ley line gliding and updrafts.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

Have you guys ever thought about the fact that the whole open world is divided by seperate maps? If you could fly, you could literally see behind all the borders, into the void. That would break the immersion completely.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: Yahkov.8217

Yahkov.8217

I personally feel as if these maps are a little too small for flying mounts. Maybe if all the maps were combined into one big map it would make more sense. Also, if they introduced flying mounts, gliding and the bouncing mushrooms would basically become obsolete.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

I personally feel as if these maps are a little too small for flying mounts. Maybe if all the maps were combined into one big map it would make more sense. Also, if they introduced flying mounts, gliding and the bouncing mushrooms would basically become obsolete.

Exactly. Unlike WoW, where you sometimes have to fly for several minutes to get somewhere, you would be able to fly from one end of a map to the other in just a few seconds in Gw2. There’s just no need for flying mounts.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

WOW has no equivalent to vistas.
Flying mounts would instantly make vistas worthless as there would be no effort required to get them.
They would also destroy all the mastery points in HOT that require climbing to get them.
Bouncing mushrooms are instantly obsolete.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

Stop Complain about flying mount, they are already added but you surely don’t saw it: The manta-ray thingy mount, but of course it’s not like flying at 50m height, but more like hovering at 1-2m, it’s more like the magic carpet! And btw, what about gliding? From the highest points from different maps you can easily glide to vistas….
They would better add a climbing mastery than mount flying over everything.

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I am going to re-state, that if flying mounts, actual flying, are put into this game I will uninstall and never support Arenanet again. After ten plus years of playing your games, I will quit.

We’ll miss you?

/shrug

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: Pox.3296

Pox.3296

As someone who plays both WoW and GW2, I’m surprised and dismayed by what people seem to be judging other players (and another game) like.

Flying did absolutely nothing to kill anything in WoW. It shifted things to a degree that that made exploration different (and for players like me, vastly more enjoyable). WotLK was designed specifically with flying in mind and it shows: the landscape itself is HUGE, and makes the player feel small in the face of something larger than oneself, leading to the feeling of a need for actual heroism. Even with all its faults, WotLK is widely regarded as the best Xpac Wow’s ever had. Cue WoD, in which they decided not to include flying at all; subscriptions dropped and were only stemmed when they relented and allowed flying back in. Keep in mind also that when people say “the WoW dev team says adding flying was a mistake,” the current dev team is NOT the same as the one that brought us TBC and original flying.

Basically, flying was a welcome addition in WoW and the only thing it hurt was the idiotic notion of slogging through enemies that are too stupid to run screaming from you and that you already killed 2 minutes ago, and 2 minutes before that, and 2 minutes before that, etc. It made exploration FUN again.

Having said that, GW2 is NOT the kind of game that flying should be included in.

As others have said, immersion has taken a back seat in this game, so I’m also discounting the natural technological progression of jetpacks, dirigibles, mechanized gliders, etc., that in reality should lead very quickly to independent flight. Outside of those, the game is simply too differently-designed to warrant, need, or even justify flight. Compared with WoW, even with my own personal dragon moving at 310% of my normal run speed, it can take me 5 or so minutes to fly from one part of the continent to another, whereas in GW2 I can teleport. Basically, I’d be done my objective in GW2 when my WoW character might have only just arrived. This is a substantial strength that GW has over not just WoW, but any other MMO I’ve played.

Added to that fact is the terrain; GW has wide, rolling terrain and (outside of HoT) its multi-level inclines and perches are easy to get to, with gliders effectively taking care of anything that doesn’t fit this. Newer WoW terrain is increasingly stacked on itself for no reason other than condensing the region, making it frustrating to navigate until one can simply fly to the top (or bottom) of your objective.

Finally, a solid portion of GW2 is also the exploration via vistas and POIs, which are far more important than merely opening up a map in WoW. GW2 even gives tangible, useful rewards for exploring the world by foot, and jumping puzzles are EVERYWHERE (my complaints about GW2 physics notwithstanding, there is always somebody doing a jumping puzzle when you find it, and chests at every finish).

TL;DR, there’s nothing wrong with flying in WoW, which is still an active and reasonably good game for those who like it. It is also NOT Guild Wars 2, and neither should try to emulate the other as their core concepts differ enough that merging them might lose more than they gain. If you don’t believe that, then just examine how each has examined the idea of mounts: in WoW they are only (and will always only be) vehicles to increase your speed. In GW2 they each have multiple functions making them out to be less a taxi and more a tool. For that alone I’m excited to see what I can do with GW2 mounts.

No Flying Mounts?

Pox.3296

This would be AMAZING and probably utterly kill any argument I have against the physics of this game.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

This would be AMAZING and probably utterly kill any argument I have against the physics of this game.

It would also destroy 90% of the maps

No Flying Mounts?

Pox.3296

It would also destroy 90% of the maps

Not if done properly. He did say “mastery,” rather than just “I can climb everything.”

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: Jaquelidor.2618

Jaquelidor.2618

Meh. I don’t really see a need for flying mounts with all the Waypoints.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: ONko.7460

ONko.7460

I see no real argument for bringing flying into GW here.

They really hit the bull’s eye the way the glider was handled. This is so much more fun than just flying from A to B in straight line, completely neglecting the whole content below. Big part of GW gameplay is centered around navigating the map environment and logically this rules out free flying.

(You can also tell they slightly regret introducing the flying in WoW, as they disable flying at the start of each new expansion, so content is actually enjoyed. Handing out toys in mmos needs to be done carefully and ArenaNet knows this.)

With this settled, let’s now discuss the possible underwater mounts.

No Flying Mounts?

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

Looks like most of my feelings have already been voiced by others. Just tossing in additional dissent. I think flying mounts would be bad for the game:

Like it or not, Guild Wars 2 has always been part platformer. (Honestly, I love that about the game.) The entire world has been designed with this in mind. Flying without limits would completely obsolesce that design. I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to World of Warcraft and how it did/didn’t ruin that game…but I don’t think WoW makes for a valid comparison because of this fundamental difference – platforming.

What limits would NOT obsolesce old content? Honestly, I have no good ideas. The best I can come up with would be to prevent flying in most places (pretty much all of the game as we know it right now)…or to replicate exactly what they’ve done with gliding – use updrafts, leylines, or a similar mechanic to create small areas where flying can work (everywhere else, it wouldn’t). I don’t think either of those options are particularly appealing (especially if flying were to be the first new game mechanic that doesn’t work in old content).

Going further, flying mounts would obsolesce two expansions’ worth of mastery lines. It’s not just gliding – why would we care about ground mounts either?

One might then ask what’s so bad about making old content obsolete? It makes the world feel small. It makes the game feel like there’s far less to do. Guild Wars 2, from early on, has worked to keep all content areas viable as the game progresses – be it world bosses, achievements, karma farming, daily quests, etc. Even crafting at high levels requires the use of low-level materials at times. Making old zones obsolete would go completely against how they’ve done things…and I think changing that would make the game worse.

I highly doubt that GW2 will ever have flying mounts. If they were to add them, I think they’d need a GOOD reason to do so. Some way of enhancing the platforming experience. Gliding was a WONDERFUL example of this. I MIGHT see a place for something like hovering or double-jumping type mechanics in the future (rather than full flying mounts)…but looking at the PoF mounts…I think that’s exactly the type of stuff we’ll be getting in this expansion.

Unless a more creative person than I can come up with a solution, I think the game is far better without flying mounts.

(edited by JackOfAllGames.2409)