No Lunar New Year event?

No Lunar New Year event?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Equlas.4162

Equlas.4162

Why is there no Lunar New Year event? I thought Lunar New Year has become a pretty big holiday, even World of Warcraft has a yearly event for the holiday. Any reasons as to why? I just feel that missing out on Lunar New Year is like missing out on Christmas.

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Masterpyro.4310

Masterpyro.4310

We don’t live on the moon so I dont really see the point. Mercury has a new year every 88 days too, they don’t have time to make that many events AND get us the already promised massive content changes coming the next few months.

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

We don’t live on the moon so I dont really see the point. Mercury has a new year every 88 days too, they don’t have time to make that many events AND get us the already promised massive content changes coming the next few months.

All I have to say to this comment is “…………………………..”

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

I thought Lunar New Year has become a pretty big holiday, even World of Warcraft…

This is where i stopped reading.

We have new content/event every month, I think it’s enough.

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

theres no asian content ( cantha in gw1 had lunar new year) theres no cantha so why would they give new year

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”

No Lunar New Year event?

Masterpyro.4310

All I have to say to this comment is “…………………………..”

Lol reading it again I can see how it makes me sound like an idiot but I’m serious, only a few Asian cultures celebrate it, and on top of that its apart of an entirely different calendar system. Kinda breaks immersion if they use too many “real world” things, the only reason Christmas is even a thing is because its a big spending season(ever wonder why all the apps on your phone suddenly get a Christmas theme around that time? people throw money at that stuff)

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

that could be why actually, they slimmed humans down to a single race to save alot of work and get the game out on schedule. so its saved them from having to do lunar new year etc and other canthan holidays. Im well happy with the amount of holiday events we have had so far we have been soooo spoilt i think. im scared if i ever play any other mmo im going to be comparing them to this service on gw2 every time. great value for money!

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: iHungeri.4096

iHungeri.4096

Lol reading it again I can see how it makes me sound like an idiot but I’m serious, only a few Asian cultures celebrate it, snip

the chinese, koreans and japanese and a few south east asian nations hardly come up to “a few”, maybe only about 1.5 billion+ people..

but i do see your point about immersion, given that the canthans don’t exist in this version of the game. who knows, maybe if the kodan weren’t busy worrying about their sinking homes and running from this “terror from the north”, given the oriental theme their structures have, they might have put some lanterns and firecrackers up.

will pay for a dolly rocket booster

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

It would have been lovely to have had any of the 3 seasonal events celebrated this week: Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year, or Valentine’s Day. I miss not having at least one of them in game….think of the costume possibilities.

No Lunar New Year event?

Masterpyro.4310

Lol reading it again I can see how it makes me sound like an idiot but I’m serious, only a few Asian cultures celebrate it, snip

the chinese, koreans and japanese and a few south east asian nations hardly come up to “a few”, maybe only about 1.5 billion+ people..

I just counted the number of countries listed on wikipedia that celebrated being about 7 of 196 its not to say they are an insignificant amount of people, but Guild Wars was made in America, it just doesn’t make sense to tailor every aspect of the game to every culture. It’s like if I opened a business to sell German flags in the middle of Washington, DC. Doesn’t really make sense lol. (Admittedly this is a bad example because we import most of our own flag products from China but you get what I mean lol)

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Equlas.4162

Equlas.4162

I just counted the number of countries listed on wikipedia that celebrated being about 7 of 196 its not to say they are an insignificant amount of people, but Guild Wars was made in America, it just doesn’t make sense to tailor every aspect of the game to every culture. It’s like if I opened a business to sell German flags in the middle of Washington, DC. Doesn’t really make sense lol. (Admittedly this is a bad example because we import most of our own flag products from China but you get what I mean lol)

The reason I am expecting a lunar new years event is because asians are everywhere. I’m sure there are tons of asians in america since there is a “chinatown” in so many of your states, here in Canada the west coast and central have a large asian population. Lunar New Years here in Canada is so popular that even a lot of Caucasians celebrate it. But w/e I found out that they don’t plan on releasing Cantha for Guild Wars 2 so there is no hope for a Lunar New Year event, unless sometime in the future the dev’s change their mind.

No Lunar New Year event?

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

Just wanted to say that in Japan new years has been Jan 1st since the meiji restoration (1873 or so), though the Lunar one is still used in Okinawa.