"No Mounts" Mindset related to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

I understand the devs have responded to the topic of adding mounts to GW2 – with the angle of “Experience the world/Make it feel big/AFK on flightpoints to X area/etc”

And I do agree at least on the flight point issue, as that was bad.. at least in WoW.

However, I do feel a certain disconnect with the rest of their argument on mounts and how waypointing has impacted my gameplay within Tyria.

Right now, I’m in LA.. all the time. It’s where I log out and log back in. If I care to get to any place, I just hit M, search for my destination (usually Orr since I’m getting my gear set) and wham, I’m there. But in WoW (sry to compare), I would get to a certain zone or continent, get on my ground/flying mount, and actually travel to my destination.

I don’t feel like NOT having mounts is helping me experience the world at all. I did feel, however, that using a flying mount in WoW gave me an awesome perspective of the world, and helped me feel like I was getting places (and experiencing the world).

TLDR; Waypoints are convenient, but I think they really detract from the feeling of traveling to places within the world.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Danno.5269

Danno.5269

i travel to a map via waypoint and then i walk everywhere and experience the whole place. I really enjoy walking everywhere. I only waypoint within a map if i see a really good event going on all the way across the map that will end by the time i get there. I don’t lose out on experiencing the world.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I don’t actually mind either way.

The only reason though I can think about is like some kind of upgrade you can do in WvWvW to make mounts or something for your world to get faster around in their own Borderland.

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

I have to agree with you. Although I understand their reasoning behind not adding mounts I feel that waypoints are more detrimental to the experience of the world. I use them even to travel short distances ( like in cursed shores for example, when going from event to event and trying to get there quickly.) personally I would be more inclined to travel and explore more if I had a speed boost that a mount would provide. Also, this game is lacking a bit in effective fluff content and I think mounts would provide for a great gold sink and help the economy, as well a give us another means of non vertical progression.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

I’m all for mounts as long as we can fight while we ride them.

Although it would eliminate the usefulness of speed buff classes…

George Steel.1804

i travel to a map via waypoint and then i walk everywhere and experience the whole place. I really enjoy walking everywhere. I only waypoint within a map if i see a really good event going on all the way across the map that will end by the time i get there. I don’t lose out on experiencing the world.

Maybe you don’t lose out, but I can take a guess that the majority of the population ISN’T waypointing to a far location to have the “experience” of running to the dungeon. Removing excess quantities of WP’s and still leaving 1-3 per zone and introducing mounts to the game would somewhat “force” people to experience the world, however, do it in a way that allows somewhat quick travel riding on a fun animal/machine of their choosing.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

samrogan.9132

I’m all for mounts as long as we can fight while we ride them.

Although it would eliminate the usefulness of speed buff classes…

It would be great if they developed a way to include mount speed into your other speed buffs. That way it would stack and classes like elementalists would still have a mobility advantage. Maybe even just stacking your passive speed buffs.

Posted by: Cinaed.2649

Cinaed.2649

mounts = this game is for kids only.

let’s not do that. it was one of the worst things in ffxi.

on the otherhand, making travel (such as the ship to southsun cove) actual events would be nice. right now it seems like a teleport ship. =\ such actual-travel should contain content and maybe occasional enemies to keep you from afk.

I will quit this game immediately if mounts are introduced. Anything that "wow"s it up.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I can take a guess that the majority of the population ISN’T waypointing to a far location to have the “experience” of running to the dungeon. Removing excess quantities of WP’s and still leaving 1-3 per zone and introducing mounts to the game would somewhat “force” people to experience the world, however, do it in a way that allows somewhat quick travel riding on a fun animal/machine of their choosing.

Forcing players to do things won’t turn out well. While you might enjoy the feel/experience of traveling others do not. you still have the option to walk/run to your destination, way points in no way hinder you from that. Everyone had/has to at least experience it once per character. There’s no need to burden those who enjoy way points b/c some feel everyone needs to experience the game in the same manner as them.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

on the otherhand, making travel (such as the ship to southsun cove) actual events would be nice. right now it seems like a teleport ship. =\ such actual-travel should contain content and maybe occasional enemies to keep you from afk.

I will quit this game immediately if mounts are introduced. Anything that "wow"s it up.

Because Knights on horses are childish.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s really cool :|?

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

Every race in history had them, every mmo had them, hey look! We’re special bunnies!

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

Like a gear grind? OPPS!

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

In WoW you were forced to use mounts to get anywhere you needed. In guild wars 2 they give you the choice to waypoint or walk. I personally walk most places because I like to experience the world. So it’s really you that made the decision not to, not the game.

I often run half way across the world to get to a dungeon or some sort of event upcoming if I have the time and people aren’t waiting for me. I always choose to walk when I can. It takes maybe between 10-15 minutes to walk the entire length of Tyria from Queensdale to Blazeridge using speed buffs, it’s quite reasonable.

Mounts are a big no go for me in this game to be honest, maybe for brawl costume like the broom but not anything beyond that.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

samrogan.9132

Introducing mounts might be okay even for those who really dislike them. Some of you may disagree, but I see them as a really optional thing. With the waypoint system in place (to stay, I assume) it will give the players kind of a trade off situation. Some will only use mounts and spend a large lump sum on that, some will only waypoint and spend small but constant amounts on that, and some will do both an this will provide more of a gold sink. ANet could even introduce mounts as a craft able thing making them expensive to make, then they could introduce new materials, a new use go old materials that don’t sell, and another thing for people to have fun creating (a goal to work towards for people who aren’t going for a legendary or already have one.)

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

ull quite if they add mounts? Man the qq in forums these days, ull quite the game if they add an optional fluff component, that most likely wouldnt effect combat (having combat on them is a no-no, maybe for an expansion but i dono)

I hope they add somthing you don’t like but most people do so then you will quite and we wont have to hear such childish remarks on the forum anymore, such as " ill quite if anet adds somthing thats an option for the people who do want it, even though it doesn;t effect the game whatsoever"

George Steel.1804

I can take a guess that the majority of the population ISN’T waypointing to a far location to have the “experience” of running to the dungeon. Removing excess quantities of WP’s and still leaving 1-3 per zone and introducing mounts to the game would somewhat “force” people to experience the world, however, do it in a way that allows somewhat quick travel riding on a fun animal/machine of their choosing.

Forcing players to do things won’t turn out well. While you might enjoy the feel/experience of traveling others do not. you still have the option to walk/run to your destination, way points in no way hinder you from that. Everyone had/has to at least experience it once per character. There’s no need to burden those who enjoy way points b/c some feel everyone needs to experience the game in the same manner as them.

I’m guessing when you say, “everyone has/had to experience it once per character” you mean discovering a waypoint. So let me get this right, you’re against forcing people to do ANYTHING, however are totally OKAY with forcing people to run out of the way to discover meaningless hordes of waypoints multiple times across different characters. How futile. I’m not trying to burden people, I’m trying to shoot some ideas to improve the game and the feeling of traveling in the in-game world (it’s an RPG after all).

Not to mention, I have over 300 hours/full exotics/nearly full Arah EXP set on my Guardian and don’t even have HALF the waypoints. Not only have I not experienced it once per character, I am not missing out on anything but not having them explored. Have LA Wp’s and all Dungeon Wp’s? Check! Nowhere else worth traveling.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

George Steel.1804

In WoW you were forced to use mounts to get anywhere you needed. In guild wars 2 they give you the choice to waypoint or walk. I personally walk most places because I like to experience the world. So it’s really you that made the decision not to, not the game.

Mounts are a big no go for me in this game to be honest, maybe for brawl costume like the broom but not anything beyond that.

Again the “choice” argument. Let me go through a general “dungeon finding” grouping aspect for you (dungeon/grouping is a major part of GW2 correct me if I’m wrong – this should relate perfectly to the “dungeon addict” exemplified in your sig).

1. Look for people in LA. No one else is present anywhere in the game world especially since the introduction of the FotM.

2. Fill the group up.

3. Walk to the dungeon? No..

As much as they have deluded you into “choices” in the end, no party will stick around while you choose to admire the scenery while traveling across the world. Mounts would add a fluff factor and help players interact and experience areas of the world on a regular basis.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

(edited by George Steel.1804)

Posted by: Ualtar.5047

Ualtar.5047

Mounts don’t really fit the game. The maps are not big enough for the most part to need them. Other games that have mounts create the maps with mounts in mind. This means much larger and more open maps to give you the illusion of size in the game. If you had a mount in most GW2 maps you would ride across it so fast, that many people would complain about how small the game is.

Alrekr Yerling
Khazad Fundinul [KF] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Again the “choice” argument. Let me go through a general “dungeon finding” grouping aspect for you (dungeon/grouping is a major part of GW2 correct me if I’m wrong).

1. Look for people in LA. No one else is present anywhere in the game world especially since the introduction of the FotM.

2. Fill the group up.

3. Walk to the dungeon? No..

As much as they have deluded you into “choices” in the end, no party will stick around while you choose to admire the scenery while traveling across the world. Mounts would add a fluff factor and help players interact and experience areas of the world on a regular basis.

If you PuG they often wont no but I like doing dungeons with people I know, friends, guild members. Often they run along with me and quite often I run to the dungeon even with a PuG since it takes only a couple of minutes usually.

You make it sound like people are waiting for hours if you walk, walking doesn’t take long at all, half the time PuG’s have to wait anyway for someone sorting out their inventory or something or the other in which time I can easily run there when they do.

There are many opportunities where you have the choice to run somewhere rather than waypoint. As I said in my post if I have the time I do run because the choice is there.

Edit: As for your post above your response to me, There is a lot more to the game than that though if that’s all you feel is worth your time that is your opinion. I wouldn’t want to see mounts in this game just for people who are either lazy, rushing around or tunnel visioning all the content there.

Then you might as well make a hub with portals sending you to dungeons and delete the entire world since it becomes redundant. The waypoints are there so people can pay a fee to skip the world it’s still optional

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: cNcHellShadow.7691

cNcHellShadow.7691

I would love to have a mount, primarily for cosmetic purposes though. Even if they did have some sort of functional use, I could see it being something similar to swiftness. A slight speed buff to make the running easier on people that like to discover/experience all the beautiful scenery given to us.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Mounts don’t really fit the game. The maps are not big enough for the most part to need them. Other games that have mounts create the maps with mounts in mind. This means much larger and more open maps to give you the illusion of size in the game. If you had a mount in most GW2 maps you would ride across it so fast, that many people would complain about how small the game is.

The mount does not have to go by the speed of light. Maybe just give it the constant speed of a runbuff. I think this kind of addition wouldn’t hurt the game, but offer some more content.
Unfortunately I have not seen a single charakter on a mount in GW2 (NPC) so they have probably no animation at hand for this kind of content anyway. I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’m guessing when you say, “everyone has/had to experience it once per character” you mean discovering a waypoint. So let me get this right, you’re against forcing people to do ANYTHING, however are totally OKAY with forcing people to run out of the way to discover meaningless hordes of waypoints multiple times across different characters. How futile. I’m not trying to burden people, I’m trying to shoot some ideas to improve the game and the feeling of traveling in the in-game world (it’s an RPG after all).

Not to mention, I have over 300 hours/full exotics/nearly full Arah EXP set on my Guardian and don’t even have HALF the waypoints. Not only have I not experienced it once per character, I am not missing out on anything but not having them explored. Have LA Wp’s and all Dungeon Wp’s? Check! Nowhere else worth traveling.

Repeatedly…yes…I am. Tbh I wouldn’t exactly use the same wording…I only used “force” b/c you did. Trust me I know all about alts (have 10 total, 8-80s) so I’ve done a lot 8 times over and it loses it’s fun with each repetition. Just thinking about having a fondness for, let’s say a certain dungeon, and having to walk/mount travel/run/etc every time I wanted to play it, gives me shivers. Imagine having to run to arah b4 all of the runs you did to get your set. Now add in the other player factor…..grouping becomes limited to the dungeon area b/c pug’s are not willing to wait on extensive varying travel times. Now the possible player pool to which one has access to group with shrinks. Local areas being server bound, no proper lfg tool, and less impulse influx all would hinder players from playing the content they want to play. The cons just out weigh the pros.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I don’t really care for mounts, I loved them in TERA (for the month that I played it lol) and found them rather enjoyable after the initial rush ended, but they aren’t necessary in Gw2.

What I do mind though are the number of waypoints in game; just makes the game feel totally instanced and kind of ruins the point of having an open world game. If they really wanted it like this they should have stuck with Gw1’s instancing style… Otherwise they really should remove a decent number of them (maybe 1 or 2 a map at most, some areas would be good without them at all; make the players work to get to the good areas lol).

Posted by: alcedonia.7831

alcedonia.7831

It may not be as easy to implement as you think. If i’m not wrong, most if not all the zones were made with a low ceiling height.

Adding mounts mean all the zones will have to be reworked to add a way higher ceiling.

cNcHellShadow.7691

It may not be as easy to implement as you think. If i’m not wrong, most if not all the zones were made with a low ceiling height.

Adding mounts mean all the zones will have to be reworked to add a way higher ceiling.

Wouldn’t that only be an issue for flying mounts? I’d be pretty happy with land only mounts.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Because Knights on horses are childish.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s really cool :|?

Nope. I would love it. Especially mounted combat in WvW (probably need some serious map expansion to do that, though). I also think Tyria would be breathtaking to fly over.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: alcedonia.7831

alcedonia.7831

Wouldn’t that only be an issue for flying mounts? I’d be pretty happy with land only mounts.

That is true. I brain farted there lol. Sorry!

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I think in order for mounts to be implemented in a way that suits Guildwars 2, they actually have to be designed as “mounts”. Allow me to go into detail.

Most MMOs handle mounts (as far as programming and mechanical design are to be concerned) as simple speed buffs with an additional model added to your control actor (WoW, Rift). In order for mounts to be implemented in a way that feels “Guildwarsish”, they essentially have to well… be a solid entity in the same fashion as how vehicles are handled in today’s none MMO titles like Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim, or Unreal Tournament. The Siege devourer of EoTN that can be controlled as well as the Wurm in Nightfall comes to mind when thinking about possible design choices for transportation systems.

Imagine driving a charr tank in WvW complete with its own weaponry or even a.. well… a siege devourer.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There will never be flying mounts in GW2, at least for the next 10 or so years. The landscape simply doesn’t support it, unless you accept special flight available areas, as seen in Aion.

Land mounts however, they never actually denied. It’s one of those things that could happen. Charr do have tanks/cars. They would also be a big gem store item assuming they added unique mounts or the ability to customize/pimp yours.

In-game, they already added a mount – the witch’s broom. It just doesn’t increase your speed.

cNcHellShadow.7691

There are already “mounts” in a sense of the word implemented in the game. Golems are, in a way that is loosely related to, a mount. Albeit, it’s more like a machine you ride with different skills. But! It seems the ability to have vehicles is there already. I’d like to see this translated to ride-able mounts in the future. Or at least they can build on what is currently available.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

If mounts are implemented people would sink less gold using teleports.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I got a free 10 day trial to WoW, so me and some mates went back in to have a look at it after quitting from Cata.

The ONLY thing that was good about the game compared to GW2 was the fact I could fly around the map, or get on a ground mount to travel somewhere.

In fact it wasn’t the travelling that was good it was the fact your got to see the world from a different point of view and could ride a massive beast around. The actual travelling was boring.

Posted by: tomshreds.1745

tomshreds.1745

I totally agree with you. Waypoints are evil, yet still convenient.

I’d love to have mounts, mounts was one of my favorite part of every MMO I played. It’s always fun to have and I love dungeon mounts. It’s a good way of showing to people your archievements.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Its a moot point – the game (zone size and density, travel mechanics, economy etc) was designed to not have mounts. Adding them in any form other than purely cosmetic would require either a massive amount of work or would break the game completely. Its not even a remote possibility.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Make it so mounts change you fist five to skills involving speed and mabby even nock backs (no speed boost without skills)

Every one see the broom stick for the witch this halloween… thats kinda a cosmetic mount right?

UnderdogSMO.9428

Its a moot point – the game (zone size and density, travel mechanics, economy etc) was designed to not have mounts. Adding them in any form other than purely cosmetic would require either a massive amount of work or would break the game completely. Its not even a remote possibility.

Have you seen the witchs broom stick….. thats nothing but a cosmetic mount……

Also who cares mounts are not what make WoW what it is, the combat the grind the lore, the lore, the hours of time it takes to get anything done.

Mounts wont harm this game in any way and if we are given ways to obtane them in game as well as in the store than all it will do is help the game grow

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

=D You are right about the size of a map thing. In WoW, the biggest reason why the Tauren starting area was much bigger then other races starting areas was because Taurens were originally supposed to get plains running, which was a big boost in speed all the time, so they made the area bigger to compensate.

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

Plz no mounts in this game. It ruined WARhammer.

Webba.3071

Which is what I said. Only cosmetic mounts would work without completely redesigning the game. And how would a cosmetic mount help the op enjoy travel more?

Posted by: drakewarr.8659

drakewarr.8659

I do not agree. WoW flying path is very slow and irritating thing. If you want to enjoy the scenery – it is your own wish and not something compulsory to the others who would prefer more pragmatic thing: travelling fast. I believe there is nothing urgent about additng mounts – it’s sort of decorative thing like minis

UnderdogSMO.9428

Also there status of humans on horse back. So there in the lore

UnderdogSMO.9428

Which is what I said. Only cosmetic mounts would work without completely redesigning the game. And how would a cosmetic mount help the op enjoy travel more?

Emertion (also just fun how do mini pets help people enjoy the game more? Untell they add polimoc that is)

And i do have to ask if thay added speed bost when mounted that were attached to your skill bar ((as the teck is there)) that were no faster than any other speed boost. And vanished (along with the mount)) when entering combat (hell hit the player with a knock down if hit with a crit as if getting knocked off the mount). How dose that brake anything?

I already drop my banner and use the speed boost from that to move faster than others and with the trate i have my speed runs out only 3 sec before the skill comes off cool down.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Plz no mounts in this game. It ruined WARhammer.

Lots of things were wrong with WAR mounts had vary little to do with its failings

Webba.3071

Emertion (also just fun how do mini pets help people enjoy the game more? Untell they add polimoc that is)

And i do have to ask if thay added speed bost when mounted that were attached to your skill bar ((as the teck is there)) that were no faster than any other speed boost. And vanished (along with the mount)) when entering combat (hell hit the player with a knock down if hit with a crit as if getting knocked off the mount). How dose that brake anything?

I already drop my banner and use the speed boost from that to move faster than others and with the trate i have my speed runs out only 3 sec before the skill comes off cool down.

Dude, chill, Im not arguing against putting mounts in the game. And Im not saying what you describe would break the game because what you are describing is purely cosmetic – It does nothing mechanically that is not in the game already. But read what the OP posted, he wants mounts that change the way travel is in the game, and to do that properly Anet would have to do a huge amount of work redesigning all the areas. Just think , if they wanted flying mounts they would have to completely rebuild the way zones in the game work, especially if they want it to have more immersion, rather than less, what with all those eerily straight mountain ranges dividing Tyria.

So, yes, the mounts you want wouldn’t be that hard to put in the game, but neither would they do what the OP wants.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Oh ok my falt. Kinda at work so i just skim the fourms. What the op wants is a little overkill

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I’d love mounts, I’d spend a lot of time collecting them if they were around. Just make the speed difference minimal (so it doesn’t shorten the world) and keep it to ground ones.

The broom’s shown that they won’t break the world.

I prefer to run somewhere rather than waypoint if at all possible (I used ground mounts whenever possible in WoW, too), and watching my charcter run is so much less restful than watching him noodle around on his broom or whatever.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Map travel was one of my favorite features of GW1 and I’m very glad they implemented a means of long-distance, instantaneous travel in GW2. I explore as much as I want to, and if I don’t care to take the scenic route, for whatever reason, I have the option to shorten the journey. Seems like a no-lose situation to me. That said, I’m entirely ambivalent about the addition of mounts, so long as they were added in addition to, not instead of, waypoints.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

Posted by: Corporal Coward.4721

Corporal Coward.4721

I’m all for mounts! Waypoints I consider cheating a bit, and walkings a bit slow. Flying over it would be such a cool experience, being able to see the shiver peaks and the pale tree and stuff

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

@ OP the fact that you say you have way point to LA and to dungeons and that mounts will help people discover and explore the world- is a bit bizarre. you didn’t bother to explore the world in the first place how would mounts help you? Since you didn’t explore the world you also wouldn’t know anything about it because you seem to think there is nothing to see.
So basically you want a mount so that you can zip by the scenery on your way to a dungeon right?

No sorry- I only have about 60% world exploration on my main and the reason I only have 60% is because there is sooo much to see, that everywhere I go, I get distracted.

I get to play a lot of content though and it has been great fun.
I do it on foot, that way I get to see if people need help, a cool DE, or -oh my what is that cool looking cave over there. you get the idea.
There is no place for mounts in GW2 – it would take away much more than it provides.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

WHY have mounts? They’re lame and boring, they’re just a pretty speed buff. Also, the whole game is split by instances. You’d be putting away and pulling out your mounts a lot more than in other MMO’s.

If you want to “experience” the world, then walk/run, no one is stopping you.