"No Mounts" Mindset related to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Illiander.8049

Illiander.8049

I’m just going to point out that GW1 did have mounts available.

Does anyone remember the Siege Devourer out in the Charr Homelands you could ride?

A big, slow, living charr tank. I’d be ok with some of those being out in the world.

Just as long as they aren’t a collectable pokémount.

Playing on Gentoo.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’m just going to point out that GW1 did have mounts available.

Does anyone remember the Siege Devourer out in the Charr Homelands you could ride?

A big, slow, living charr tank. I’d be ok with some of those being out in the world.

Just as long as they aren’t a collectable pokémount.

Difference being that it was a mechanic for the area(s). It wasn’t a mount like these people want.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

I prefer waypoints to mounts. So far no mounts is pretty much all that’s left to separate this game from every other MMO that’s innovation right there!

Posted by: Quaz.4931

Quaz.4931

This “we need mounts” arguement, is the same arguement people use when talking about VP and grinding.

“Other MMOs have it, therefore GW2 needs it, or it doesnt count as a proper MMO”

Guys, can we PLEASE think outside the WoW Box for a second?

Anyway that mini rant aside, The maps aren’t designed for mounts, they are likely the wrong size, the roads probably dont work well for the mounts and god knows what mob placement does for it.

If you want mounts, ask for it in the next expansion area, so maps can be designed to accomodate them. Even still, the fundamental need for mounts seems bad, you have speed boosts, isnt that enough?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Not to mention, I have over 300 hours/full exotics/nearly full Arah EXP set on my Guardian and don’t even have HALF the waypoints. Not only have I not experienced it once per character, I am not missing out on anything but not having them explored. Have LA Wp’s and all Dungeon Wp’s? Check! Nowhere else worth traveling.

Now, that is a problem way bigger than having/not having mounts. If the game has been designed right, you would have been missing out on not having the world explored, and there should definitely be an incentive to visit any zone.

The fact that you can just unlock LA and dungeon waypoints and not move beyond those is a clear sign how much GW2 has failed in it’s original goal.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Not to mention, I have over 300 hours/full exotics/nearly full Arah EXP set on my Guardian and don’t even have HALF the waypoints. Not only have I not experienced it once per character, I am not missing out on anything but not having them explored. Have LA Wp’s and all Dungeon Wp’s? Check! Nowhere else worth traveling.

Now, that is a problem way bigger than having/not having mounts. If the game has been designed right, you would have been missing out on not having the world explored, and there should definitely be an incentive to visit any zone.

The fact that you can just unlock LA and dungeon waypoints and not move beyond those is a clear sign how much GW2 has failed in it’s original goal.

I don’t think you can say GW2 has failed in it’s goal just because one player has tunnel vision.
After all it is his choice how he plays- I don’t play like that but that is my choice.

The fact that we can both play as we want seems like a success of that goal to me.

Mounts however is not a solution to tunnel vision :P

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

What if they were context-sensitive mounts like Junundu from GW1? I would be very disappointed if in the Elona expansion we weren’t able to ride around in a giant Wurm…

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

Mounts would break all jumping puzzles, especially flying mounts.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

No mounts, please.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

So funny that the cries are going out against mounts cause “They didn’t have them in GW1!”!!!
Is this the same GW1 that the same 1s are crying about that is nothing like GW2? Really? Awesome!
A lot of people seem to miss that fluff like mounts is (wait for it…) optional. There, I said it!
Do you all walk to your work/school/home/mental hospital? I bet not. But hey! Keep thinking all about yourself, at least we had the kittens to give you a choice, take the red mount pill or the blue walk pill…

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

So funny that the cries are going out against mounts cause “They didn’t have them in GW1!”!!!
Is this the same GW1 that the same 1s are crying about that is nothing like GW2? Really? Awesome!
A lot of people seem to miss that fluff like mounts is (wait for it…) optional. There, I said it!
Do you all walk to your work/school/home/mental hospital? I bet not. But hey! Keep thinking all about yourself, at least we had the kittens to give you a choice, take the red mount pill or the blue walk pill…

Here we go.

By adding anything to a game that allows you to do something more efficiently will make it pointless to do anything any other way.

Mounts on land aren’t so bad, but they’re not needed. That’s what waypoints are for. And it doesn’t help there’s literally like 15 waypoints per map.

Blizzard even stated themselves that they regret making flying mounts because it makes their world seem smaller than what it really is. It trivializes content because you can avoid it.

You can already run through mobs and avoid agro. Imagine using a mount. If you want mounts, go back to SW:TOR, WoW, and all of the other games that provide them.

Posted by: Quaz.4931

Quaz.4931

The game wasn’t designed to have them, why don’t you also complain there aren’t killstreaks, or elves, or limit breaks, or bankais, or fusions…

If mounts did literally nothing apart from being aestetic, then sure. Hand them out in the gem store and raise some cash. Speed buffs from being out of combat, and character speed buffs should otherwise be enough for the game’s current maps.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

The game wasn’t designed to have them, why don’t you also complain there aren’t killstreaks, or elves, or limit breaks, or bankais, or fusions…

…Or grinds! Times change!

And I am only on about ground mounts, I (personally) like to ride about exploring. Why? Well it’s faster than running, it’s safer (out running mobs), it’s generally more fun than slowly running around which can feel like forever, and I won’t start on “teleporting” about the place and how it feels even more wrong in a MMO.

As was said before, the game has mounts, you see NPCs on them in statues and paintings etc. and mounts fit in with evolution.
*NPC 1: Let’s catch that animal & train it to carry us about, my legs hurt!
*NPC 2: No, I want to walk everywhere and get to everything late!
*NPC 3: Nah, I’m going to ignore the “free” animals and build a robot!

We have droids and laser rifles but no one can work out Equestrianism. ROF&L!

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I’d like mounts because they look cool and you “wanna catch em all”. With the dungeons and races that exist ArenaNet could make really cool mounts for each race and dungeon and even legendary mounts.

Off Topic: I want new pets for Ranger, more epic looking like the Rainbow Phoenix in GW1. Hard to get and it looks epic.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I mean say what you will about WoW, but flight paths…. while the travel time was abysmal, the paths went to a few locations, they were never contested, and they were actually really cheap. Even with the travel time, they were a convenient way of getting around a large world and didn’t hamstring players. Mounts were an option of spending large capital upfront for the ability to be able to freely and quickly move about the world.

I don’t think you need mounts in GW2, but you shouldn’t hamstring players with high travel costs…. It makes an assumption about how a player plays and almost imposes a certain way to play.

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I’m not really sure why people assume that mounts means flying mounts. Most of the MMOs I’ve played that have included mounts didn’t include flying ones.

I think mounts could be a fun addition to GW2, especially if Anet treats them as a type of weapon, one that focuses on mobility or what not.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

I’m against mounts too.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I’m against mounts too.

Why? are you against free cookies too?

Next time someone offers you something you’d like for free, please say no.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

I would hate to see mounts at all in this game, but I’m especially against flying mounts. As I’ve said in NUMEROUS threads about this, mounts trivialize the player’s perception of the gaming world and flying mounts do so tenfold. This game’s aesthetic was designed to be enjoyed without mounts. It would be a shame to sully that with them as an afterthought.

In addition, mounts are a common point of contention in games that have them, as players often use them to grief other players by parking them on top of resource points. I would hate to see the lovely world of Tyria cluttered up with thousands of redundant mounts. My vote would be a resounding NO to mounts.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

(edited by Debsylvania.7396)

Bruno Sardine.2907

I don’t see how mounts (flying or land) fix any issues about moving throughout the world. If you take damage (falling or enemy) does your speed get reduced like if you were running? Do you get dismounted? How do mounts help with the wp costs or is this mount moving so quick that I can essentially get from A to B almost instantly? Putting in movement content doesn’t hide the fact that the current movement mechanics are flawed; this solution of mounts merely says let’s cover up the issue rather than address it, though mounts could be more useful in a WvW setting (though I honestly think that’s an issue with the way WvW objectives are setup more than things just being spaced out really far).

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I like no mounts because in games like WoW with mounts nobody ever stopped to help out. Never jumped off their drake and said, “hey, wanna party up?” Having to run in GW2 makes it more likely for players to stop and help another player or join an event, rather than just running/flying from node to node.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: kenco.8475

kenco.8475

If I wanted to move about on out-of-place mounts that ruin the feel of a game I’d have stuck to playing Perfect World.
In over 1,000+ hrs of playing I have never felt the need for a mount and I have 100% on all maps but WvW (got about 3/4 there).
Why do players want to explore faster? so as to complete the game faster before they move on to the next mmo?
As to teleporting just think of it as a taxi service with the ride animation removed.

Personally, I’d sooner see ‘contested’ permanently removed from WP’s than see mounts appear.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

The broom didn’t cause problems, I don’t see why adding more would.

’They’d cause problems in jumping puzzles!’ So disable them on puzzles.

’They’d make the world smaller!’ So make them ground only, and limit their speed. The broom feels fast enough with no increase.

’They’re what’s different from…’ I think this is silly.

‘I like seeing my character run everywhere!’ So keep running. If there’s no speed difference, there’s no reason why you can’t stay on foot.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I’m all for mounts as long as we can fight while we ride them.

Although it would eliminate the usefulness of speed buff classes…

I use speed buffs to gain faster movement speed in combat to evade enemy attks.
It wont eliminate the usefulness of speed buff.
Speed buff is amazing for combat when enemies cant lay a fingure on you as you tear them apart with meele or ranged weapons.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I was adamant about not having mounts in the game when I still played, but now I can look at it from a more objective PoV. ANet seems to be good at finding virtually undetectable “gaps” in the game, and if they manage to find one of these between running on foot and waypointing, I don’t think there’d be any reason not to add mounts.

A slightly higher base running speed in the form of mounts would add another level of rewarding item progression. Tier 1-5 mounts with different skins and movement speeds, and later adding unique skills to battle for mount duels would give level 80s in ascended gear + asc infusions something new to do. Gem Shop profits ahoy!

If there has to be some drawback to appease the horizontal progression crowd, it could be that mount use would bar you from using waypoints for a set amount of time, like 10 minutes.

Posted by: Fluttershy.6032

Fluttershy.6032

I have no issues with ground mounts, but here’s the reason it would be very hard to implement flying mounts. Every zone is a separate instance, that’s why you need to use the portals to get to a different zone. If you get to the end of a zone, it just cuts of and there’s an invisible wall.
http://i.imgur.com/sLFeu.jpg
I already submitted a bug report about how I got here btw, and I didn’t use any glitches to do it.

Posted by: MetaJezzo.8519

MetaJezzo.8519

Mounts also make the game look messy in my opinion.
got over 1,100 hours on one character and over 4,000 ish hours on guild wars 1, both of these games do not have mounts and both are lovely.
I’ve actually left games due to mounts were added in.

I am hoping mounts never get added in and if they do it is only in an instance.

Another idea i’d say if mounts were considered to be added and they asked for feedback was an option to disable to see mounts. E.g. mounts be cosmetic only and have an option in settings that you do not need to see people with mounts.

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I personally want mounts. I’m a collector and love collecting pets (though I’m not thrilled with their mini pet system – I honestly prefer WoW’s pre-MoP system).

I don’t even care if the mounts go only slightly faster than me. I enjoy using them for RP purposes. They also make me feel more in tune with the world. They’re certainly more realistic than walking everywhere. People have been riding mounts (horses mainly) for … too many years to count.

I’d very much like them. I wouldn’t mind there being less waypoints for mounts, personally…

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Posted by: Quatro.8214

Quatro.8214

I am all for mounts, but i think they should be accessible at a higher level. (maybe 55 or 60). I can see it being very enjoyable if one is doing an event where you have to fight through someones base and you charge in on your black steed. Plus i think if GW2 gets mounts, then more skills could be unlocked giving the user more variety with his skills and how he fights. And I dont see it being a problem if you have to get them in the gem store either.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

Not really crazy about mounts , I had nothing but bad experiance with them in WoW ( Taurens using growth potion while on their yaks , drakes , and mammoths while being idle on npc’s . )

Posted by: kaboo.5194

kaboo.5194

Its a moot point – the game (zone size and density, travel mechanics, economy etc) was designed to not have mounts. Adding them in any form other than purely cosmetic would require either a massive amount of work or would break the game completely. Its not even a remote possibility.

could someone please explain how would constant ~50% move speed buff (out of combat only) break the whole game?

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Sometimes I fly around on my witch’s broom, but usually only when I’m really bored of walking normally.

Honestly I don’t think it’s a big deal, they just become like bigger minis essentially – another thing to collect for fun.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Bruno Sardine.2907

Its a moot point – the game (zone size and density, travel mechanics, economy etc) was designed to not have mounts. Adding them in any form other than purely cosmetic would require either a massive amount of work or would break the game completely. Its not even a remote possibility.

could someone please explain how would constant ~50% move speed buff (out of combat only) break the whole game?

I don’t think it would, but my counter question is how would this mount help given how easy it is to get into combat? In higher level zones, esp. Orr, you basically can’t use the mount unless you can somehow dodge while on mount. But assuming you can dodge, can you use utility skills to boon yourself with vigor or block or something, or would the mount work like WoW’s mount where you just have speed and can’t do anything on it (other than dodge with standard endurance regen)?…

Really not seeing how the mount is more helpful over just fixing wps to be cheap and always accessible (except for maybe like 2-3, which are tied to whether or not a dungeon is sealed or open).

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

I personally would not like to see mounts in the game. Eventually, everyone will run around on mounts and no one on foot. The game will feel awkward.

Also, If they increase a character’s movement speed by 50% riding on a mount, then they would have to increase creatures’ run speed by 50% across the world as well, otherwise there’s no risk of dying. That would force everyone to use a mount because those that don’t will not be able to go anywhere without getting killed by the fast running mobs.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I see no need in mounts. I also see no need to change the cost in waypoints.

The main purpose is to force you to go through the map and at higher levels do DEs. To introduce mounts or lower WP fees will remove a main design point of the game

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Bruno Sardine.2907

The main purpose is to force you to go through the map and at higher levels do DEs. To introduce mounts or lower WP fees will remove a main design point of the game

Um… doesn’t the act of unlocking the wps make you go through the map? So I have to go through the map again and again…. then why have the wp at all if I need to find it first and then be allowed to use it second (and thirdly pay for it)?

How does the current system encourage doing DEs? Wanna know why most folks stick to the upper half of Cursed Shore? Because the DE rotation in such a tight density is more worthwhile than cruising all over the map, even if you know what events are up; whether you’re running or paying money to wp around the map (assuming you can even do that). If anything, the current system doesn’t encourage either of these things you’ve mentioned.

(edited by Bruno Sardine.2907)

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Um… doesn’t the act of unlocking the wps make you go through the map? So I have to go through the map again and again…. then why have the wp at all if I need to find it first and then be allowed to use it second (and thirdly pay for it)?

How does the current system encourage doing DEs? Wanna know why most folks stick to the upper half of Cursed Shore? Because the DE rotation in such a tight density is more worthwhile than cruising all over the map, even if you know what events are up; whether you’re running or paying money to wp around the map (assuming you can even do that). If anything, the current system doesn’t encourage either of these things you’ve mentioned.

A good example is the higher end Charr area (Fireheart Rise). The WP are under conflict a good share of the time. You have to do DEs to get them back. No one there to protect them and you have to start over again.

This is how it was designed. We are the heroes we make the world change. You add mounts you destroy how the game was designed to be played.

For at least three years Anet told us this is how it is to be. Personally i think it is great as is.

It is you the player that must make the difference. Not anyone or anything else

edit: If you have to worry about mounts this discourages this required element of the game at this time.

Additional note: if you look at some concept art you will see mounts (example: Bison for Norns)

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

(edited by Krosslite.1950)

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

Collecting rare mounts was some of the most fun I had in WoW. Plus i loved riding them around. Sad this game doesnt have them. They could even not be faster than running and I would still want to collect them.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Mounts would break all jumping puzzles, especially flying mounts.

Eh. True. And others make good points about the difficulty of adding them now that everything has been designed and set into motion. But I miss them from other MMOs. What can I say, I grew up on horseback, I’m fond of the creatures, even the pixelated version.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: gogoapoxy.1425

gogoapoxy.1425

No thanks, at least not for a while. maybe in 3 years. Walking around actually encourages me to stop and do events along my way. If it’s anything like WoW or AoC, i’d be more inclined to keep running (granted they didn’t have DE or proximity grouping).

I’d also hate that 90% of clothing and weapons would likely clip with whatever mount there was; it’s bad enough that all my light armour clips with all all my weapons.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

There IS one mount in the game atm its just for looks the witches broom. There just so many way to make you ms higher and wp to get arone having a mount would make every map feel like it was nothing in size.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I wouldn’t mind GROUND mounts that went at 33% speed for cosmetic / fun purposes. Would also give player’s something to aim for that’s a little extra. Doesn’t go anymore faster than a swiftness buff, thus it has no important impact on the game. It can even go combat slow when you get knocked into combat.

Flying mounts, however, would not be cool. Vistas would be a joke. Jumping puzzles would be a joke. This game wasn’t made for flying mounts.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

If they added mounts they wouldn’t be optional. Especially if they could be used in wvwvw.

I wouldn’t mind GROUND mounts that went at 33% speed for cosmetic / fun purposes. Would also give player’s something to aim for that’s a little extra. Doesn’t go anymore faster than a swiftness buff, thus it has no important impact on the game. It can even go combat slow when you get knocked into combat.

Flying mounts, however, would not be cool. Vistas would be a joke. Jumping puzzles would be a joke. This game wasn’t made for flying mounts.

If the mounts had a natural swiftness buff then they wouldn’t be cosmetic or for “fun purposes”. They would be for constant speed buffs and that’s all.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I would love a %60 speed boost, non-flying mount that disappears whenever I enter combat. Unusable in WvW.

I would never use a waypoint again, which would put me out in the world more, not less.

Mounts are such a deep part of human history and a staple of fantasy. The lack of them feels like a missing tooth.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

I miss mounts man i realy do

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

I wouldn’t mind mounts if they have no value beyond cosmetic. Another thing for me to collect.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

I’m still amazed at people who play such a high fantasy game like this and seem to have no vision or imagination

GW2 by not having mounts making it different from other MMOs is no good reason to not have mounts in a game that is actually suited to them if everyone opens their eyes.

Yes there are running buffs that can be used outside cities but the best I know of is the 33% signet for the rogue and of course short uses of swiftness from traits plus any items that can be bought to enhance that from the diamond shop. How many folks buy enough 1 hour speed boosts to make a difference to exploration? This sounds all very convoluted and a bit daft too

A mount has many benefits and novelties if placed properly in the game. First it should cost 5 gold minimum and not be usable until 60th level so by that time many peeps will have a lot of unexplored zones of lower levels that they may otherwise ignore but may be encouraged to go back to on a mount that can go a constant fast rate.

Also the mount should be designed to be hardy but still be able to be taken down. The novelty factor of the GW2 world could have a wonderful variety of mounts with slightly different stats that replace your skill bar with a few fun fun and maybe useful skills whilst on them.

Suggestions to think about and work on.

*The Dolyak would only go at 40% run speed but be very resilient and able to knock down enemies in your path interrupting and disabling them for 2 seconds though with no damage so the Dolyak can escape an enemy.

*The Worg would be able to go invisible for a few seconds at a time and run at 50%.

*The Asura jetpack (which just hovers above ground really) could go at 60% faster and have a three second turbo boost to 90% with a two second splutter of the exhaust afterwards causing two second 30% slowdown.

*The dolphin would go at at 60% speed and its sonar would confuse nearby enemies to stun them for a second.

*The benefit of the drake is both land and water travel at 40% whilst whipping its tail to interrupt and stun for three seconds to help it escape an enemy.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.