No PvE testing for the new Elites?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I’m just confirming this, but based on the post today there won’t be any testing of the new elites in PvE this weekend? Curious as to why this would be, shouldn’t those of us who have no real interest in anything but PvE have the opportunity to try these specializations out?

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Well that is extremely disappointing, i can try and log into WvW but it really has little bearing on how i would play the elites myself on a day to day basis.
Now to figure out a way to tell my wife the bad news and keep the tears to a minor flood!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Having no real interest in mounts as the expac’s big seller, I also found not being able to test the new elites in the PvE demo unfavorable. Not being a big mount fan and only viewing a limited map during demo, the new elites were one of my main points of interest. Not being able to test them in PvE doesn’t increase my desire to buy PoF.

The lack of trying the new elites in PvE is something I have seen mentioned many times via feedback on the forums. Perhaps given current feedback Anet will throw in another demo/beta weekend to allow people to try them in PvE before launch. At least I hope so. As they say, I guess I can wish in one hand and censored in the other and see which gets filled up first. Time will tell.

As it stands now and from what I have seen during the demo (including things I liked and didn’t) I’m most certainly going to wait until after PoF goes live for player feedback before I consider buying.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

Here’s a wild idea — just go into WvW and try it out. You can still use the skills, and there’s random mobs that hang around that you can hit. Have none of you actually played WvW and just assumed?

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

Here’s a wild idea — just go into WvW and try it out. You can still use the skills, and there’s random mobs that hang around that you can hit. Have none of you actually played WvW and just assumed?

Yes, many of us have tried WvW and have spent enough time in there to know what’s what. That doesn’t mean that is how we spend 95% of our hours in-game. How fun would it be for us who do NOT like it to go in and try the new builds only be dead in 20 seconds? Try the training dummies? Yeah, that is loads of fun. A good way to spend the weekend, right?

And, how fair would that be to the new specs themselves. We seldom participate in this form of play so how would we judge the fun factor or viability for each of them?

All we are asking is why the spec beta is not going to be available for the other large portion of the population. I remember trying the Revenant out in Frostgorge and other areas of Tyria. If that isn’t possible, why not just let us use the demo area to try them out?

After my weekend of trying to play as much as I could while not rapter riding, I was really looking forward to trying the specializations.

Posted by: psychosiz.7109

psychosiz.7109

Yes, many of us have tried WvW and have spent enough time in there to know what’s what. That doesn’t mean that is how we spend 95% of our hours in-game. How fun would it be for us who do NOT like it to go in and try the new builds only be dead in 20 seconds? Try the training dummies? Yeah, that is loads of fun. A good way to spend the weekend, right?

And, how fair would that be to the new specs themselves. We seldom participate in this form of play so how would we judge the fun factor or viability for each of them?

All we are asking is why the spec beta is not going to be available for the other large portion of the population. I remember trying the Revenant out in Frostgorge and other areas of Tyria. If that isn’t possible, why not just let us use the demo area to try them out?

After my weekend of trying to play as much as I could while not rapter riding, I was really looking forward to trying the specializations.

From an unbiased perspective,since the great majority of players in this game are pve based primary players, this makes the above point very fair and relevant.

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

From an unbiased perspective,since the great majority of players in this game are pve based primary players, this makes the above point very fair and relevant.

Sure, but let me reiterate. There’s PvE mobs in WvW. There’s random monsters in some areas that you can fight and try out your skills. You claim to know WvW, so I would assume you’d know that. You don’t need to fight other players in there to try the skills, so I’m really not sure why you think that’s what I said.

I don’t even play WvW (except for when I was working on my legendary) or PvP, but I’m not crying about having to go in there to try them. Get over it or just wait for the expansion to be available.

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

Sure, but let me reiterate. There’s PvE mobs in WvW. There’s random monsters in some areas that you can fight and try out your skills. You claim to know WvW, so I would assume you’d know that. You don’t need to fight other players in there to try the skills, so I’m really not sure why you think that’s what I said.

I don’t even play WvW (except for when I was working on my legendary) or PvP, but I’m not crying about having to go in there to try them. Get over it or just wait for the expansion to be available.

Yeah, because the thought of going into WvW just to be mauled by other players and trolls as a PvE player is sooo fun and fair… Come on, no WvWer with a sane mind will let anyone go and farm mobs.

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

Sure ! Go try the elite specs in WvW !

After a neat 2 hours wait because of 25+ queues in each map, you’ll be kindly welcome by yells from WvW vets because you’re taking the spot for someone who is, you know, just trying to mind his WvW business on reset day… Everything will go fine.

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear when I said I know what’s what in wvw. I KNOW there are mobs that can be killed. I also know that as soon as some people go in and start trying to hunt and kill those mobs many wvw players will be on us like locusts. It will be great fun for them and rage inducing for us. Overall not an optimal way to test anything.

I’m just wishing this next weekend would have not been exclusively wvw/pvp map(s).

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

How many mobs are there and how many PvE players are there per server? How hard are these mobs?

And I wasn’t aware that one had to get over curiosity at a decision ANet made. Because that’s all I’m seeing people ask for. Not yelling at ANet to change it or demanding that they change it before the next Beta weekend.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

After a neat 2 hours wait because of 25+ queues in each map, you’ll be kindly welcome by yells from WvW vets because you’re taking the spot for someone who is, you know, just trying to mind his WvW business on reset day… Everything will go fine.

Assuming they’re not active in Edge of the MIsts, which is where I plan on testing. I don’t think any PvE’er should be testing them in the actual WvW maps. EoTM however has unlimited maps.

Posted by: Sarge shot Grif.6450

Sarge shot Grif.6450

I spend a decent amount of time in wvw but that’s not the place to test it, at least not if you’re a pve player. Some people, myself included, would like a more calm and controlled environment to test them out first so we can get a clear feel for the mechanics without having to worry about a zerg running us over. Would I like to bring one of the new elites in wvw? Hell yeah, that’s one of the reasons I’m excited for deadeye in particular but most people will want to test them out in pve first and don’t forget about queues for wvw which will be horrifically long during the beta.

All this is going to do is cause lot of players to spend little to no time with the elites and cause a significant amount of chaos in wvw.

JustTrogdor.7892

I’ve done enough WvW to get a few Gifts of Battle under the new reward track system. The issue I have is that WvW mobs are not very similar to the mobs in the new PoF maps (you know those maps I’ll probably want to spend a lot of time in if I buy the expansion) and more similar to core map mobs. So even if I go slap around WvW mobs with the new elite specs I don’t think I’ll really get a feel for how they perform in PoF PvE. Toss in always having to look over my shoulder for enemy players looking to gank “PvE scrubs”, I still think another beta to test elite specs in PvE PoF maps would be useful. Anyway that’s just my opinion.

I think the feedback next weekend will be interesting to say the least.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Sarge shot Grif.6450

Sarge shot Grif.6450

I’ve done enough WvW to get a few Gifts of Battle under the new reward track system. The issue I have is that WvW mobs are not very similar to the mobs in the new PoF maps (you know those maps I’ll probably want to spend a lot of time in if I buy the expansion) and more similar to core map mobs. So even if I go slap around WvW mobs with the new elite specs I don’t think I’ll really get a feel for how they perform in PoF PvE. Toss in always having to look over my shoulder for enemy players looking to gank “PvE scrubs”, I still think another beta to test elite specs in PvE PoF maps would be useful. Anyway that’s just my opinion.

I think the feedback next weekend will be interesting to say the least.

Giving us two days with the new elites in the little section of the new map would be perfect.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The likely reason for this weekend’s affair is to get some preliminary feedback on how the new specs work out in competitive play. The mobs don’t care if the new specs are unbalancing or not, but players will.

JustTrogdor.7892

The likely reason for this weekend’s affair is to get some preliminary feedback on how the new specs work out in competitive play. The mobs don’t care if the new specs are unbalancing or not, but players will.

I feel most certain that is the reason. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that and I’m sure it will give Anet valuable feedback as far as competitive play is concerned.

The Burninator

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Raiding is competitive. Anything can be made competitive. Players care when their class is not accepted in raids just as much as your soloQ losers gripe about class balance.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Its just one weekend, who gives a kitten?

ThomasC.1056

Technically two kinds of people give a kitten about this weekend :

1. Hyped PoF players who want to test things and builds, and not only read the traits and skills’ tooltips from the wiki. PvP won’t be suited at all for PvE tests, and WvW borderlands/EBG will probably be clogged, which only leaves EOtM, as stated indeed. I’m doubting EOtM is a really good place for PvE testing though.
  2. WvW involved players. It’ll be reset day, and weekend, which often is a critical moment, with significantly more players on the map. It’ll probably create a lot of toxicity if BL and EBG get queued by players just out there to test their buids on camps guards. I think some players will also try open PvP, and I won’t blame them, because I have fond memories doing that during the HoT beta. Now, during HoT beta, we were only a few players testing HoT specs in WvW, because most of the beta players were in PvE.

Posted by: Twyn.7320

Twyn.7320

First of all, as I understand it: We’ll make demo characters again, so stop worrying about tanking existing WvW servers etc.

Secondly: There’s two very important parts to balancing a spec: How it feels to use it, and how it feels when it’s used against you. If Anet’s relying on community feedback to balance their specs, the only way to do that is through WvW and PvP, mainly PvP as it’s in an enclosed environment with less players. Yes, it feels wrong that PvE doesn’t get the same luxury, but it’s very tough to balance specs without honest opinions on both sides, and it’s difficult to balance a spec when the opposite side is a computer-controlled mob, on anything other than damage output.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

The game is balanced entirely around PvP anyway. PvE is a secondary afterthought. That’s been apparent for years.

and Necros ?

they don’t fit neither…. so what they balance necro for/againts/with ? Cookies ? because it seems like it….

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Zoltreez.6435

how it feels when it’s used against you.

Where was this Dev Wisdom when they Bloated Thiefs with infinite mobility and teleports and broken Dmg ?

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

First of all, as I understand it: We’ll make demo characters again, so stop worrying about tanking existing WvW servers etc.

Secondly: There’s two very important parts to balancing a spec: How it feels to use it, and how it feels when it’s used against you. If Anet’s relying on community feedback to balance their specs, the only way to do that is through WvW and PvP, mainly PvP as it’s in an enclosed environment with less players. Yes, it feels wrong that PvE doesn’t get the same luxury, but it’s very tough to balance specs without honest opinions on both sides, and it’s difficult to balance a spec when the opposite side is a computer-controlled mob, on anything other than damage output.

No one’s saying WvW will be tanked. If the beta uses actual WvW and not a separate demo version, then queues will be very long as PvE players will be taking up spots and spending hours in the map trying to test against the few non-player enemies. And since there are way more players than those enemies expect long time in queue and toxic chat behavior.

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

Where was this Dev Wisdom when they Bloated Thiefs with infinite mobility and teleports and broken Dmg ?

What Thief do you play who has that ability? My Daredevil can only dodge three times, has 2 or 3 teleports (if she keeps her shortbow) and if she has enough initiative!

How do you have a thief that has infinite endurance and initiative?!

Posted by: juicewilliams.3964

juicewilliams.3964

I don’t like this either. Not because I want to try out any of the specs in PvE but that I am not excited for crazy long queues keeping me from playing WvW. Friday nights are already super busy at reset. Having a bunch of PvE players getting into WvW this weekend just so they can try out the new specs isn’t going to be fun for anybody. They’re not going to be helping in WvW and they’ll clog up queue for the WvW players that WANT to WvW (I’m not blaming PvE players at all, just pointing out what will happen and if they allowed PvEers to test in PvE, then that’ll make them and us WvWers happy).

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

What Thief do you play who has that ability? My Daredevil can only dodge three times, has 2 or 3 teleports (if she keeps her shortbow) and if she has enough initiative!

You forgot the heal that gives back dodges, 3 teleports (shadowstep is a double teleport with two built in stunbreaks and a condi removal, steal is the other one, not to mention the signet which many thieves take).

And let’s not forget the hilarious 15 sec cd stunbreak that is also a block and a knockdown in one button.

Daredevil autoattack chain does more DPS than a full 100 blades, which is a stationary skill with a cd and doesn’t reflect at the end of the chain.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Technically two kinds of people give a kitten about this weekend :

1. Hyped PoF players who want to test things and builds, and not only read the traits and skills’ tooltips from the wiki. PvP won’t be suited at all for PvE tests, and WvW borderlands/EBG will probably be clogged, which only leaves EOtM, as stated indeed. I’m doubting EOtM is a really good place for PvE testing though.
  2. WvW involved players. It’ll be reset day, and weekend, which often is a critical moment, with significantly more players on the map. It’ll probably create a lot of toxicity if BL and EBG get queued by players just out there to test their buids on camps guards. I think some players will also try open PvP, and I won’t blame them, because I have fond memories doing that during the HoT beta. Now, during HoT beta, we were only a few players testing HoT specs in WvW, because most of the beta players were in PvE.

As in, why do you give a kitten if WvW players flame you. Your experience and enjoyment of the game is just as important as theirs. The trade-off this time being this weekend is a once off event, and their precious reset weekends happen 52 times a year. I would not give a rats ass if I ran around nude in borderlands testing out the firebrand.

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

This is a bad idea because it’s going to cause massive queues with pve players taking up spots that could be filled by people actually wanting to play wvw.

Also there will be people unable to test the elite specs because of said queues.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I think they should open up the training area (with the training golems) for the elite specs

Zoltreez.6435

You forgot the heal that gives back dodges, 3 teleports (shadowstep is a double teleport with two built in stunbreaks and a condi removal, steal is the other one, not to mention the signet which many thieves take).

And let’s not forget the hilarious 15 sec cd stunbreak that is also a block and a knockdown in one button.

Daredevil autoattack chain does more DPS than a full 100 blades, which is a stationary skill with a cd and doesn’t reflect at the end of the chain.

as i said Bloated over the top….

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

ThomasC.1056

As in, why do you give a kitten if WvW players flame you. Your experience and enjoyment of the game is just as important as theirs. The trade-off this time being this weekend is a once off event, and their precious reset weekends happen 52 times a year. I would not give a rats ass if I ran around nude in borderlands testing out the firebrand.

Aw, my bad ! I didn’t get what you wouldn’t give a kitten about ! I agree with what you’re saying afterwards, because it’s plain rational thinking. Unfortunately, lots of people don’t give a skritt about such reasoning :-(