No cd on weapon swap and elite skill=utility

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

What you guys think about getting rid of cd on weapon swap ? I think fights specially spvp/www will become much better , players will have better access to their skills and they can rotate it to counter enemy . Another thing is elite skill . Let`s be serious 99% of these skills are crap with very long cd . Let players pick up 4th utility skill , there would be much much much more builds and better fights on pve,pvp and www .

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

What you guys think about getting rid of cd on weapon swap ? I think fights specially spvp/www will become much better , players will have better access to their skills and they can rotate it to counter enemy . Another thing is elite skill . Let`s be serious 99% of these skills are crap with very long cd . Let players pick up 4th utility skill , there would be much much much more builds and better fights on pve,pvp and www .

No – sorry don’t like it.

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

It is a sad state of things when most players would rather ditch their elite skill in favor of a 4th utility.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Don’t agree on the weapon cooldowns. It’s meant to be a strategic choice in combat.

Don’t quite agree with the 4th utility, but I do agree that elite skills are incredibly underwhelming for their cooldown times. Especially the Transform abilities. They’re jerky and limited and don’t flow at all with GW2’s combat system. (Their primary attacks have cooldowns and they’re not auto-attack selected. Sad. :\)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I would very much like to have a 4th utility skill… elites are terrible in this game

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Utility instead elite is quite good idea. Maybe it can go even further like utility in elite slot will be slightly better then in utility slot – shorter cd, longer buff ect. It can add another layer to making builds more effective.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

At the very least, anet should really have a look at how skills synergize with each other outside of combo fields. Gw1 had some excellent synergies between skills such that certain skills will take advantage of effects provided by another skill.

For instance a skill knocks down a for while a second a skill applies bleeding on a knocked down for. A third applies cripple to a bleeding for. These sorts of old school synergies were incorporated into trait lines so that the skills themselves don’t synergize anymore

Posted by: GammaBreaker.9102

GammaBreaker.9102

It is a sad state of things when most players would rather ditch their elite skill in favor of a 4th utility.

Huh. Hadn’t thought of that.

Would totally do it.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Keep weapon cooldowns. I’m not totally opposed to getting rid of elite skills. Only time I ever use my “Renewed Focus” is when I’m about to die or I want to give my party a couple quick boons.

Posted by: Ryu.1368

Ryu.1368

Heh. If I had the chance to replace Mortar or even Supply Crate for an extra gadget or elixir, I’d jump at that chance. xD

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I’ll be honest : 99% of elite skills are Elite.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

… I can’t find a single one actually worth the slot.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Because you dislike, don’t mean its not worth as an elite . Don’t mind whatever you say, they are way more powerful than Utility. All of’em, and Believe, I have all professions, and all races.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

No cool-down on weapon swap would introduce a bunch of balance issues, especially for traits and sigils that trigger on swap.

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Play warrior, wear warrior runes, use disc trait 3. Combat weapon swaps go!

If it’s such a balance issue why can warriors already do it? :P

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

FGS is the most powerful weapon in the game and I’d be devastated if I couldn’t use that again on my ele, and Signet of Rage is an amazingly powerful elite. Dunno what you’re on about.

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

FGS is the most powerful weapon in the game and I’d be devastated if I couldn’t use that again on my ele, and Signet of Rage is an amazingly powerful elite. Dunno what you’re on about.

op didnt say replace all elites – just allow us to equip utilities in the elite slot if we wanted

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

While I agree that a lot of elites do not deserve their cooldowns, a lot of them are elite skills. They just have over the top cooldowns. Some of them however do not deserve the title of elite and they really need to be adjusted.

On the topic of using a utility skill instead, I do not think this will happen. For one thing you would need to do a large balance pass across all skills and traits to ensure over powered builds couldn’t destroy the game. We already have builds that can be considered somewhat OP in places, adding a 4th utility could make things even worse.

I would much rather they fixed underwhelming elites and reduced a lot of the cooldowns, because some of them are just crazy. An elite skill is supposed to turn the battle in your favour, that’s why they have a long cooldown, but not all meet that criteria. If they fixed that, it wouldn’t be a problem.

As to weapon swap cooldown, I feel that is fine as it is. If you removed it completely you would again need to balance all weapon skills accordingly. Just try to imagine how you could abuse no swap cooldown with various weapon combos. It could cause some serious balance issues.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

It is true that a lot of elites (especially transformations) are really bad and need major work.

As for weapon swap, the cooldown exists for balance reasons.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well I can think of many of my character benefittig from a 4th utility skill, There are quite a few elites that actually are worth their position as elites, but I need o admit there are so many skills I wouldn’t use in PVE when soloing or roaming. Timewarp for my mesmer? Mass Invisibility? they are both great skills but when I’m alone the recharge alone makes them rather useless, I’d rather take another utility instead. same for necromancer I love lichform and plague, but I could fit in epidemic in my hybrid build (based on aoe wells and skills) which would make the build a lot more powerful then having lich form… Just making the skill hit 10 instead of 5 players or double the duration could make a huge variety of builds spawn…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Play warrior, wear warrior runes, use disc trait 3. Combat weapon swaps go!

If it’s such a balance issue why can warriors already do it? :P

Because in order for a warrior to do it, they have to specialize in weapon-swapping, trading 3 trait points and all 6 rune slots to manage it (Preventing Double-Six specializations, unless one of those is Discipline) – and even then, it’s not instant. As a Disc 3 Warrior Rune warrior running Sword+Bow, I can’t swap from my sword to my bow to set the field on fire and immediately swap back to sword to set myself on fire (With Sword2) – I have to wait a second or two (usually laying down Bow3, but that’s not always viable) before swapping back.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Mesmer Moa thing… totally OP.
Fiery Great Sword… because of the skill 4 glitch…

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think the CD is needed – otherwise it would be switch/switch/switch/switch – OP.

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Mesmer Moa thing… totally OP.
Fiery Great Sword… because of the skill 4 glitch…

moa thing is completly useless on pve and www , most classes got useless elites when you compare it to warrior (32 sec of fury on signet hell yeah , res banner+team fury hell yeah ) and ranger entangle OMG with 150 sec cd so bad , most elites are useable only on 1 gametype and very often ppl use them because it is the only one which makes sense .