No gliding in home instance?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Is it just me or is gliding disabled in home instances? And why?!? They’re just instanced sections of cities we’re already gliding in. Why can’t I glide between my candy corn node and my wintersday tree?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Is it just me or is gliding disabled in home instances? And why?!? They’re just instanced sections of cities we’re already gliding in. Why can’t I glide between my candy corn node and my wintersday tree?

I bolded the important word there. “Instanced”. Gliders don’t work in instances of any sort, unless they’re set up for it (HoT instances). Sorry.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I bolded the important word there. “Instanced”. Gliders don’t work in instances of any sort, unless they’re set up for it (HoT instances). Sorry.

I see… but why is that? I could understand why they wouldn’t want it in Living Story episodes or your personal story episodes, but if they’re making an exception for HOT why not for the home instance? I’m hoping it’s just a case of not-there-yet; i.e. they’re preparing the home instances to eventually allow gliding.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I see… but why is that? I could understand why they wouldn’t want it in Living Story episodes or your personal story episodes, but if they’re making an exception for HOT why not for the home instance? I’m hoping it’s just a case of not-there-yet; i.e. they’re preparing the home instances to eventually allow gliding.

The starter instances don’t have gliding either. I admit I had hopes of my key runner getting in there and gliding past all the grounded newbies.

Hope squashed. /sigh.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Technically your home instance IS a personal story instance.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I doubt that it’s a case of “not there yet” — it’s a lot of effort to glider-proof any map, including the home instance, especially since home instance maps are used as the basis for personal story instance maps. It is surely substantially more effort to add ‘home gliding’ with relatively little gain for the community.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I doubt that it’s a case of “not there yet” — it’s a lot of effort to glider-proof any map, including the home instance, especially since home instance maps are used as the basis for personal story instance maps. It is surely substantially more effort to add ‘home gliding’ with relatively little gain for the community.

I’m not so sure about that. There are only six(?) home instances, and they’re all relatively flat and quite small. They don’t really offer any great height (as DR does) to land anywhere that wasn’t intended. I would even bet that they’d be perfectly acceptable as they are if gliding were enabled.

Having said that, I can see now why gliding would be disabled. I mainly go to the home instance for farming nowadays, but I remember the personal story missions in it, and it’s true that gliding might interfere with those in unexpected ways. But having said that, the home instance could still allow gliding but disable it if you talk to an npc and start a mission.

This situation is not unlike before gliding came to central tyria. The disparity between the jungle allowing gliding and central tyria not allowing it caused some confusion when switching zones. I’m always going to be a little confused when I enter the home instance and gliding doesn’t work but it’s flat enough not to get me killed from a fall. Such is life.

Palador.2170

I feel I should point out that you can glide into some of the home instances areas from outside. I’ve gotten into the charr and human areas so far, and I’m pretty sure I can manage the sylvari one if I find the right place to start from. The norn one is pretty small and flat (and inclosed), so only the asura one is really lacking.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Home instances are instanced.

Home instances are used in the personal story.

I believe a dev had said the reason why they won’t be putting gliding into non-HoT instances is because there are spots on the ground that trigger missions/events. When working on your personal story you might glide right over a spot you need to walk on and get confused as to why the mission hasn’t updated. HoT instances for personal story were made with gliding in mind because they take place right in the HoT maps.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I feel I should point out that you can glide into some of the home instances areas from outside. I’ve gotten into the charr and human areas so far, and I’m pretty sure I can manage the sylvari one if I find the right place to start from. The norn one is pretty small and flat (and inclosed), so only the asura one is really lacking.

Are they still an instance when you get into them by an alternate route though? Or are they the regular map that the instance normally sits on top of? Alternate routes were the way guilds and role players used to get into Salma for larger than parties of 5, before ANet added more walls around Salma.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Palador.2170

Are they still an instance when you get into them by an alternate route though? Or are they the regular map that the instance normally sits on top of? Alternate routes were the way guilds and role players used to get into Salma for larger than parties of 5, before ANet added more walls around Salma.

Regular map, so that’s useless if you want to glide while harvesting. But, if you just want to glide around that area, it’s still useful.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

The starter instances don’t have gliding either. I admit I had hopes of my key runner getting in there and gliding past all the grounded newbies.

Hope squashed. /sigh.

Actually they are not all “newbies”!!!!!!!! Many are those that didn’t, couldn’t, or wouldn’t purchase HoT. Won’t hijack the thread with feedback about perceived betrayals by Anet. There are enough already.

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Do you think gliding in home-stances is worth a single developer minute?
There are really more important things to fix.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Regular map, so that’s useless if you want to glide while harvesting. But, if you just want to glide around that area, it’s still useful.

Yeah. I might do that just to glide around in it, but my best guess is they’re going to block off those routes with more walls pretty soon, for the same reasons they blocked off alternate entrances into Salma all that time back.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not so sure about that. There are only six(?) home instances,

And each of those instances are re-used for various stories, which would then have to be tested.

In any case, it’s a matter of comparing the total amount of time people might want to glide in home instances versus the actual amount of time people are spending gliding everywhere else. People don’t typically spend time in their home instance except to harvest nodes.

Consequently, there’s very little bang for the buck to do any more work on home instances than is absolutely necessary. Arguably, if they did anything to ‘home’, some would prefer that first they add comparable vendors in each zone — it’s an issue for people using the Home Portal Stone.

Again, I’d love to see gliding everywhere. I’m explaining why I think it’s unlikely that ANet will ever choose to spend the time to work on it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Hope squashed. /sigh.

Actually they are not all “newbies”!!!!!!!! Many are those that didn’t, couldn’t, or wouldn’t purchase HoT. Won’t hijack the thread with feedback about perceived betrayals by Anet. There are enough already.

True, some may not be newbies however people who don’t or won’t buy the HoT are no more entitled to have no gliding in the starter instance than no gliding anywhere else. People who can’t buy the HoT have my sympathy, but they also are not entitled to not see gliding in the starter instance.

However, I doubt that gliding will ever be enabled in the starter instance as it is a low value return on effort for them as not many people stay in there for more than a few minutes, so non HoT players are safe from gliding in that area.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

All instances probably fall into a specific filter that allows them to just disable gliding in all “Instances” period. If gliding was to be enabled in certain instances they may have to rework all of them to disable it.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Hope squashed. /sigh.

True, some may not be newbies however people who don’t or won’t buy the HoT are no more entitled to have no gliding in the starter instance than no gliding anywhere else. People who can’t buy the HoT have my sympathy, but they also are not entitled to not see gliding in the starter instance.

However, I doubt that gliding will ever be enabled in the starter instance as it is a low value return on effort for them as not many people stay in there for more than a few minutes, so non HoT players are safe from gliding in that area.

Can’t see why I would even want it in my home instance. The WP is right by the entrance, I go in and my nodes are a few steps. Farm them and instant out.
As to the ‘entitled’ comment, I really don’t care if players glide around to get somewhere, its’ no big deal. The problem is when Anet changes core elements and adds or changes achievements/mechanics to the core game that specifically require HoT (new shat) as well as rewards that are of no use and can’t be sold. That is the betrayal to those that paid for the core game.
I can recognize that even though I have recently purchased HoT to add to my core (not a F2P) account.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Thank you all – I was curious why gliding was disabled in home instances and that question has been well and truly answered with many thoughtful replies. Thank you.