No hair with hats

No hair with hats

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fozzoul.6845

Fozzoul.6845

Hello. I would like to ask as to why they decided to make the decision to make your character bald when using a hat? For example, i want the Nobles outfit and the Top hat from the black lion market place, but if i were to equip the top hat my character goes bald… I understand that its because of clipping issues with some hairstyles, but why not just make alternate hairstyles for those hats? Having a bald asura female roaming around just feels wrong when she usually has long hair and a pony tail.

Please fix this, i need my top hat, and i need it with hair.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

This is a mystery that extends back to the first year of Guild Wars 1 Prophecies when our Halloween witches hats made us bald. Many, many players have suggested they give us dyable hair sticking out from underneath, but our pleas have always fallen upon deaf ears. I’m pretty sure Lex Luthor is the CEO of ANet.

EDIT: Then again, my male Asura who owns the top hat is already bald, so giving us artificial hair would bite him in the caboose. They would need to make the headgear recognize what hairstyle we chose, or give us several top hats/whatnot to select from. (My Charr wouldn’t care much for forced sideburns either.)

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

No hair with hats

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Agreed!
And I laughed when I read your comments.
One of the reasons why I don’t wear any Gem-hats on my female ones... perhaps I should try on my male.. would be more sexier I’m sure..

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

No hair with hats

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

Skyrim has this “issue” too. Is their some weird complicated issue in adding additional meshes and textures for helmets and hats, regardless of a given character’s hairstyle?

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

No hair with hats

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Why? It’s a simple way to avoid clipping issues.

Unfortunately, it’s also a simple way to get people like me to avoid ever wearing a hat. =/

I still have a GW2 hat skin from release that I’ll probably never use.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Do you mean the medium armor Nobles set, or the Noble Count Outfit? Even if the top hat did what it should hair-wise, you still could not wear it with an Outfit (though many have requested this be changed). Outfits are all or nothing; you can hide the Outfit helm, but not replace it.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

Long time ago, before the first Halloween in GW2, the scalp texture that was used with the top hat HAD hair drawn on it. After the event patch they used the bald texture. Why, I have no idea. That was same for other races as well, not just human, I have a screenie of my asura, but it would take a while to look for it, but if anyone wants, I can. It looked weird on asura females, since the top hat on them is a size of an apple, but making it look well would just take a little bit of redrawing. Or just let them wear the male version.

Attachments:

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

(edited by Marge.4035)

No hair with hats

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Never noticed the issue in Skyrim myself but then again I go into 1st person view most of the time. In GW2 I don’t wear a lot of thing because of the baldness factor. There is a shaved head hairstyle (stubbley) that would be better than the chrome dome look and wouldn’t clip.

http://i.imgur.com/RzNttuQ.jpg

No hair with hats

Posted by: Black Magic Woman.2735

Black Magic Woman.2735

I wish there was some way we could get Anet to hear the people on this! On both my male and female toons I want so badly to have my hair (or some kind of hair) showing as I wear the top hat or helm. Probably to some this is trivial, but I create my characters after comic book heroes, movie characters, etc. and cannot achieve the correct look with this problem. Hoping for a solution in the future :/

No hair with hats

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

Honestly, with all the tons of clipping issues ignored and never even taken into account in this game, I am never going to accept so lightly that our characters must be bald with hats and helms to prevent clipping issues. I’d rather wear a hat which clips with hair than a hat that turns my characters bald. What did I even pay for new hairstyles for if my characters are meant to be bald with like 80% of headgear? -.-

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

No hair with hats

Posted by: RabidCoqui.1983

RabidCoqui.1983

Common issue for many games. As has been stated above, it seems to be manly due to clipping issues and the way to get around these would likely involve too much time/work.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

They haven’t found a way around this for 10 years. I don’t think they’re going to address this anytime soon.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

No hair with hats

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the one reason is clipping but they can just as much add hair on head wear when your hair exceeds a certain length.

No hair with hats

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Soo, let’s have expensive hair kits devoted to just new interesting hairstyles but negate it if you want to wear a hat.

I guess the headgear shall remain unchecked forever.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

It’s a good thing that this thread has been brought back to light. Inimicus brought up a simple yet effective solution to the problem.
The devs should really consider it.

I wouldn’t even mind if my haircut seems to change with every hat I wear, I just want my hair still on my head no matter what’s on it.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

No hair with hats

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

It isn’t just hats. I have a total of 2 characters out of 11 that I use headgear on. One is a helmet, while the other is just the medium Vigil headband. Hats (gemstore or not) and helmets erase hair, and that’s obnoxious.

This is a huge QoL issue, but I doubt Anet will change it because it wouldn’t make them any money to do so. If even bugs are ignored because “meh, good enough,” then I really doubt free QoL changes will be implemented in even the far future, let alone soon.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Well that’s a shame since 90% of the endgame is about the outlook of the characters…

No hair with hats

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Previously deleted for an attempt at humor that failed to fly, so sans that:

Best fix I have is that when wearing a hat like this, the hair style is taken into account in so far as

start
if NOT BALD
then put crew cut hair texture on the head, use player defined color
end if
if BALD
then put bald texture using player defined skin parameters
end if
stop

I would be impressed beyond words if they made one that included long hair/beards hanging out of the hat without clipping the way the Norn males of GW1 did.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

Having hats with their own built in hair would screw over actually bald characters, but why not both? We have two versions of the eyepatch so you can swap which eye it covers, why not a hair and no hair hat skin?

It doesn’t have to be done for EVERY hat either. But the last MMO I played had several headgears that changed your hairstyle to match and it took your actual hair’s color. I don’t see why Gw2 couldn’t do the same.

For some hats, like the Top Hat coming with a “classy” hairdo or a headband which pulls your hair back into a ponytail, it’d fit and make perfect sense.

No hair with hats

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I agree. removing the hair is why I don’t use gem store hats.

Mesmerising Girl

No hair with hats

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

Because the only reason you need a hat is if you have cancer. A-Net is appealing to the chemo niche