No more experience progression after lvl 80

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I’ve been worried since they said they would change it, i was even thinking about writing down about it, but now it’s confirmed by the news section: Doing every day stuff that rewards experience, will no longer reward experience.

Farm a Ore node? Some wood? Plant? It won’t give a thing anymore in future. Capture a keep/tower in wvw without being able to kill somethign (stand in circle)? Your 28000/56000 experience just got completely removed by Anet with nothing replacing it.

Event reward after level 80? Sorry, you no longer get 18000 experience per event in Orr/Silverwaistes. Found a point of interest? no more experience. Complete a map? Scrap that 25000 experience!!!

Doing all of this to RNG Based loot (drops from mobs, shards) is a complete mistake. This garanteed part of progression past level 80, gave a sense of garanteed loot. Yes skill points could feel useless after a while, but not for everyone. When I killed a Doe that is yellow and I know people didnt kill for a while, it gives me joy to get 500+1200 experience from it.

Also one of the reasons i farm quite a lot of achievement points is for the experience bonus. It felt as a progression to speed up later progression, and being quite worth it. Now the 28% experience bonus i accumulated is completely useless, unless i’m not level 80.

Overall, everything will now feel like personal story: mobs barely give loot, have more rng then ever (shards = rng now too), and things that used to give garanteed skill point progression are taken away.

This is a step back from ‘do what you want, where you want, and always be at least a bit rewarded for it’. Mark my words, people will feel faster bored then they do now. People might not realize it, but killing mob after mob, that even when it doesn’t yield loot, even doesn’t give experience wich it used to? Bad.

Second problem: hiding skill points behind RNG. Rng no matter how well intended, can screw things over. Experience, Karma and small coins gains from events used to be a steady, always 100% certain, income. You knew if you take the sentry you get some karma, wxp etc. It’s garanteed, even if it’s relatively small. And if you keep doing event you will get skill point. That gave a feeling of safety. Now some people will get 50 spirit shards a day (Zerg farming guilds, but only the lucky people with good rng in that guild). Other people will get almost no skill points. For something as crucial as skill points this should not be the case. It also doesn’t make sense. Every time you kill something, you practise ‘combat’. That yields experience cause your character gets smarter. Making now one mob give you experience (and progress), and a lot of others, not give you experience, and mixing this into a random mix, is not good.

Solution: Make a Skill point Mastery track. This track can be activated anywhere, and will never be complete. Instead this track will copy the old experience system after level 80, and reward Spirit shards, when a Tier is complete and reset. If you want to farm masteries like the hylek language masteries, then you choose that, and (temporary) won’t get skill points from doing stuff. But in wvw, you used to get craploads of skill points just by playing ppt. Some people like to roam, get sentries, defend etc. These people will get a massively huge/big nerf to skill point continuum. The new meta: farm enemy zerg a lot, or you won’t get Spirit shards. Roam? Blah you don’t get them.

Please overhaul it, so that spirit shards and old Exp system can ‘coindide together’. I don’t want Diablo, or free to play (but pay to win) mmorpg playstyle where everything is RNG related, making the game feel chore and grind after a while.

When i’m in wvw, and i get a level up, it makes me happy, cause i got something usefull (even though a bit to much of it), that I can always use later (siege) etc.

Like why should I do event at all? I often did them just to grab the experience. Now that will be gone, same with mobs. The game will feel empty, and purely loot based wich is NOT good. Old exp system was perfect, don’t fix what ain’t broke. merge both system so they live happy together please, thanks.

I know some will say ‘you really care that much about experience’? You may not but i do. Even in gw1 i had way to much skill points, but those 641 skill points on my ritualist feel like an achievement, and i could always buy stuff with it (buff stones). Same in guild wars 2. Now the urge, need, or feel of reward to do events is gone. And so it will hasten boredom, will hasten quitting game. The experience system was good, in that while repetive, always garanteed you get something (meaningfull, if you think about superior siege, and all the pve skill point applicaitons) usefull. That garanteed loot/progression is gone now, wich is not good.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

What makes you think there won’t be progression? It’ll just go to masteries rather than pseudo levels.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What makes you think there won’t be progression? It’ll just go to masteries rather than pseudo levels.

Very much this. You’ll still have to level your masteries after level 80 and you’ll need experience to do it. It’ll just count for your mastery levels.

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Masteries are finite, and single map limited. Even if they would keep you a month busy to get them maxed (wich they won’t!), you cannot get anything anymore once the masteries for that area are full.

This is worst for silverwaistes and Especially wvw. Capture two keeps in a row? Sorry your ‘omg i progress half a level’ feeling is gone. Yes at first their may (or may not be) a mastery in wvw to max, but that will be fast complete, and from then on, everything in wvw, will feel more empty then ever. Not good. But it’s same in pve.

Vayne.8563

What makes you think masteries are single map limited? And you don’t know how long it’ll take or how many masteries they’ll add.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Spirit shards will still drop from pvp reward tracks and containers. Every source that previously awarded skill points will now award spirit shards. I’m just disappointed with the name. Djinngots for life!

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The only thing that will be affected by the change is above level 80 you will not get a skill point per ‘level’. Instead you will get points towards the mastery system instead. It will not affect people below 80 at all.

Experience above 80, aside from the skill points, is mostly just a bragging rights thing anyway.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I don’t feel skill points feel rewarding at the slightest. Experience right now is a joke.
Working towards masteries, for as long as it lasts, will give me way more joy than even infinite skill points would give me.
Getting something after maxing masteries may as well be a thing, we don’t know yet.

But still, I don’t share your criticism.

Posted by: araskell.9018

araskell.9018

… and Especially wvw. Capture two keeps in a row? Sorry your ‘omg i progress half a level’ feeling is gone. Yes at first their may (or may not be) a mastery in wvw to max, but that will be fast complete, and from then on, everything in wvw, will feel more empty then ever. Not good. But it’s same in pve.

As I understand it, when in WvW you will gain WxP instead of normal expierience when HoT drops. I do not know if upleves will still gain normal expierience or WxP.
Also, someone who mostly plays WvW allready has all the WvW masteries.

Lunas Deathwish | FA WvW – [BOMB]

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Again a level 80 now gets Wxp and Exp. Both, at same time. Two rewards simultaneously, giving it a high ‘reward’ appeal. Update would basically 100% destroy the exp part. They would have to buff Wxp tremendous wich they won’t.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

I don’t understand the problem. Skillpoints on level at 80 are basically nonrewards as it is. Compared to points from scrolls they aren’t even a quarter of my skillpoint gain. I find it hard to imagine a significant number of people see that bar at 80 and think “Awwww yeeahhh about to snag another skill point.”

For all we know, the masteries will be a long-term goal. Heck, we don’t even know more than half a dozen or so of them. Standard XP at 80 has always seemed like a lost opportunity for something meaningful anyway.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i never even watched my exp bar since a very long time. at least know it will have a new meaning.
so i guess you cannot make everybody happy, but as i understand it, really few people even cared about experience points since it was pretty useless once you unlocked all the skills, and i never had a shortage of skill points to buy stuff from miyani and same is for most of people. i think the changes will open room for improvement and more things to do with exp. i’m very happy about masteries

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Capture two keeps in a row? Sorry your ‘omg i progress half a level’ feeling is gone. Yes at first their may (or may not be) a mastery in wvw to max, but that will be fast complete, and from then on, everything in wvw, will feel more empty then ever. Not good. But it’s same in pve.

Getting half a level on your experience bar after you have turned 80 actually gives you some sort of ‘accomplishment’ feeling? Ok, whatever. If not having that xp bar is some sort of major game breaker for you(I have no idea why it possibly would be), then maybe you just need to take a break?

Imo, why should someone even care what their experience bar is doing after reaching 80?
I don’t even pay any attention to my experience bar anymore on any of my 80 characters. It won’t affect me one way or the other if it is there or not on my 80s.
/shrug

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: Daegony.3604

Daegony.3604

Capture two keeps in a row? Sorry your ‘omg i progress half a level’ feeling is gone. Yes at first their may (or may not be) a mastery in wvw to max, but that will be fast complete, and from then on, everything in wvw, will feel more empty then ever. Not good. But it’s same in pve.

Getting half a level on your experience bar after you have turned 80 actually gives you some sort of ‘accomplishment’ feeling? Ok, whatever. If not having that xp bar is some sort of major game breaker for you(I have no idea why it possibly would be), then maybe you just need to take a break?

Imo, why should someone even care what their experience bar is doing after reaching 80?
I don’t even pay any attention to my experience bar anymore on any of my 80 characters. It won’t affect me one or the other if it is there or not on my 80s.
/shrug

I like that they’re pushing this mentality away with HoT. As it is I really don’t care about my exp bar on my level 80 chars. Masteries are a nice way to break it, and if it stays as it was during beta it means they ditched the “flat leveling curve” so experience will actually matter a lot.

Teon.5168

Again a level 80 now gets Wxp and Exp. Both, at same time. Two rewards simultaneously, giving it a high ‘reward’ appeal. Update would basically 100% destroy the exp part. They would have to buff Wxp tremendous wich they won’t.

I really don’t understand this post. What is this high ‘reward’ appeal you speak of?
I sure don’t feel any sort of high ‘reward’ when I am getting wxp and xp on a level 80.

On my level 80s, my rewards come from playing with guildmates, winning a close pvp match, coming out victorious in a hard fought wvw battle, trying different character setups and finding how they work or don’t work, guild missions, dungeons, etc.

You’re certainly entitled to enjoy the ‘rewarding’ movement of your xp bar after turning 80,(play the game how ya like) but I seriously doubt if you’ll find a majority of the playerbase that is as concerned about it as you are.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

In a way I can understand the worry, especially because it seems so unnecessary a change.

Why not just… buy from skill points? Or well, if you really want to make it a wallet item, give spirit shards from leveling up post-80?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am totally confused. How does/did/will/would the Xp Bar have anything to do with RNG and loot dropping? Was I supposed to have been watching my Xp Bar and only kill a mob a certain point to guarantee that mob dropping some loot? Were Skill Points doing some hidden thing that the new Shards won’t? What Achievements was XP giving me besides the sole ‘Survivor’ achievement?

What game have I been playing? =(

Teon.5168

I like that they’re pushing this mentality away with HoT. As it is I really don’t care about my exp bar on my level 80 chars. Masteries are a nice way to break it, and if it stays as it was during beta it means they ditched the “flat leveling curve” so experience will actually matter a lot.

Agreed. It will make xp meaningful again, post-80.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: Zoberraz.2694

Zoberraz.2694

I kind of relate (and agree) with the opening poster.

The part that resonates the most with me there is how spirit shards are RNG drops, rather than gradual gain… and how everything we did – from reviving downed comrades, to foraging vegetables, to finding new vistas/exploring new locales, to vainquishing monsters and participating in events… all contributed to that. There was o activity that wouldn’t contribute to it.

Basically, we could obtain rewards on our advancement doing pretty much all we wanted. But soon, it’ll only RNG drop from defeated monsters. It feels like it cheapens how approachable and broad Guildwars2 had initially set out to be. Getting mystic forge-related currency wasn’t just about combat. But soon, it may become just that.

I believe it’s always been a positive influence to see the little xp numbers when someone stops to raise a fallen player or that, yeah, you gain as much killing something as you do lumbering wood. It validated other stuff than killing, even though the end result – the skill point at the end of the skill bar – may not carry the same importance to everyone (which I think is the primary culprit to the indifference/scorn I see in this thread).

I’d encourage A.Net to not change something which was not broken. I believe the upcoming iteration is inferior, and once the change is made it could be cumbersome to rollback. Not worth it, IMO.

(edited by Zoberraz.2694)

Vayne.8563

I kind of relate (and agree) with the opening poster.

The part that resonates the most with me there is how spirit shards are RNG drops, rather than gradual gain… and how everything we did – from reviving downed comrades, to foraging vegetables, to finding new vistas/exploring new locales, to vainquishing monsters and participating in events… all contributed to that. There was o activity that wouldn’t contribute to it.

Basically, we could obtain rewards on our advancement doing pretty much all we wanted. But now, it’s only RNG drop from defeated monsters. It feels like it cheapens how approachable and broad Guildwars2 had initially set out to be. Getting mystic forge-related currency wasn’t just about combat. But soon, it will be.

I believe it’s always been a positive influence to see the little xp numbers when someone stops to raise a fallen player or that, yeah, you gain as much killing something as you do lumbering wood. It validated other stuff than killing, even though the end result – the skill point at the end of the skill bar – may not carry the same importance to everyone (which I think is the primary culprit to the indifference/scorn I see in this thread).

I’d encourage A.Net to not change something which was not broken. I believe the upcoming iteration is inferior, and once the change is made it could be cumbersome to rollback. Not worth it, IMO.

Trust me, it is broken. You’re really not going to feel even happier when you see those mastery tracks progressing?

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I really liked getting exp and being able to “level” past 80. It kept experience point rewards, something that permeates the game as a whole, relevant.
I don’t see why this (post-80 exp bars and leveling) can’t exist alongside masteries. Especially if the alternative to skill point (shards to be) is MORE RNG loot drops. We have enough RNG loot drop in the game, don’t pile yet another resource on to the heap.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But, won’t those actions still award the XP to the Mastery bars? Whether in Pact Tyria, or the new Maguuma maps, we still have bars down below, and we work towards filling them up.

We don’t know all the different Masteries that will be released. There might be some that players are eager to unlock. And, if not, I suppose no different than earning some other item/reward in-game we have no real current use for.

Personally, I look forward to choosing what my XP may reward, rather than just another Skill Point.

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Well, mastery is not coming until HOT release, so hopefully ANet provide us a mean to bank our exp until then.

As for people don’t plan to buy expansion, guess they just out of luck.

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Ok lets put it to numbers. I’m a number geek (i’m good at math and remembering numbers, hence probably why this is important to me in first place).

if i farm a plant i get 1340 experience. Wich is about 0,5% of a level part, but can add quite fast if you have 10 plants around you.

If i kill a mob in level 80 area with full exploration bonus i get 800+1400 experience. If i use food and oil = that’s even more. Say 2500 experience. 1% of a level bar just by one mob.

Silverwaistes events? Do 13 of them and you get full level. GARANTEED. keyword. Hence what i like about it. Sure skill point ‘may be worthless ’ (they aren’t, you can upgrade items, make skil point requiring weapons, make legendary etc), but i like the fact that i know this goes up so much.

5 Wvw keeps? Full level up. Same for 10 tower or 20 supply camps. Garanteed. Keyword again. I have 18 million Karma now. I like it. Nobody can see it, so nothing to brag with it, and that’s how i like it. When it yesterday went from 17,99m to 18m I liked it. I’m sure you all don’t care about it, and that’s fine, but it’s different for me. Wxp, experience and karma used to be neverending quests, to fullfill and keep going. Now one gets completely removed into a temporary and finite mastery system wich is just bad.

Or personal story instance after level 80? Sorry will reward you nothing even if it used to go up to 67000 experience!

I made a lot of omnomberry ghosts cause they give 15% exp and not the usual 10%. Why if this update screws it? Sure again I know you guys don’t care. And i can live with that. The solution I propose is best of both worlds. It keeps the permanent skill point reward system intact, but also promotes mastery system. It gives you a fully fledged choice.

A lot of stuff will become useless, and Anet should take note of that:

Experience banner
Outmanned buff
Volunteer ‘this map is empty, I go to next one’ buff
Food
Oils
Achievement experience bonus
Killstreak booster
Experience booster
Guild experience buff
etc.

Static rewards removed:

Completing dungeon (75% level or 182000 experience).
Completing an event
Farming ore, wood, plants
Finding Vista, new area, point of interest, waypoint.
Heart quest completion reward
Map completion reward
Reviving people and npc’s
Building siege and repairing structures (using supply)

This update to come is good for any casuals around. But for people that like to do some permanent personal quest stuff (like me gathering a high amount of skill points, craft weapons with it etc), this update is bad. It’s not the first time, Anet does a ‘casual only’ solution, while there is an easy way to merge casual + veteran solution.

Another reason this worries me so much, is the shards are to much focussed into one thing that already has a lot of other things: mobs. With experience, you have a massive amount of freedom in wich way you want to acquire it. Huge amount of flexibility. That’s what makes gw2 great. If person B likes to farm monsters and explore: he gets his experience mostly from that. IF person A like to farm materials to get experience, he gets it that way. If third person likes to do events, he gets it that way. If person D likes to do dungeons he gets his exerpience that way. If person E likes to do personal story he gets it that way, etc. Now all this options are forced into one option: B: kill monsters.

Removing options is not good. Especially when another (simple) other way to implement the feature, is right around the corner.

By having mastery track (tthat can be activated/disactivated any time), linked to skill points, you keep the flexitility intact and you also keep the current (wich are quite nicely worked out) experience bonus rewards system intact. Why break something that doesn’t need fixing?

Again the first month or two after HoT. I know i will be farming masterieS. But after that? I probably got 500 skill points at least in wvw. And i like it. It doesn’t matter that it doesnt matter for you, for some, especially long playing veterans it’s nice to still see some reward, to content that otherwise may feel empty. And when that time comes when all masteries are max (they will be made around casual play level, so i’m sure I won’t need much time to max them), then any single world activity I do, will give 0 experience/skill point progress forever. Not the way I want it to end up.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Vayne.8563

Here’s some information that math doesn’t affect. One of the big problems reported with this game, is the lack of progression. Most people don’t feel they’re progression. Even if you get another skill point after a certain level, people don’t see it as progression because it doesn’t only move forward. When you spend them it goes backwards till you get more, That’s because it’s a currency.

With the mastery system, people will feel like they’re progressing…even if they progress more slower, because mastery points won’t go backwards.

Masteries can be added to keep the feeling of progression going.

The few people that feel that XP gain after 80 is progression are just that. Few people.

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I can live with that, if mastery ‘progression’, is affected by everything that currently rewards bonus exp. Aka you have total of 35% experience bonus at the moment? That means you are farming your mastery 35% faster (mobs only). They will not only take away experience after level 80, they will take the passive bonus system away (wich some people like to work on, and is a progression on it’s own).

What I want is a integration of old and new. Shouldn’t be that hard, I gave enough examples of how to do that.

And you think that people will find they have a feeling they progress if they farm a hylek language? don’t think so. Lore geeks (fans that go very deeply in lore, not just global story telling) are also few. Yet Anet focusses this patch on them (wich btw i’m happy for them – and you, i know you like Lore Vayne – come). But why does it have to be You or me story? So many solution to combine both.

Vayne.8563

I can live with that, if mastery ‘progression’, is affected by everything that currently rewards bonus exp. Aka you have total of 35% experience bonus at the moment? That means you are farming your mastery 35% faster (mobs only). They will not only take away experience after level 80, they will take the passive bonus system away (wich some people like to work on, and is a progression on it’s own).

What I want is a integration of old and new. Shouldn’t be that hard, I gave enough examples of how to do that.

And you think that people will find they have a feeling they progress if they farm a hylek language? don’t think so. Lore geeks (fans that go very deeply in lore, not just global story telling) are also few. Yet Anet focusses this patch on them (wich btw i’m happy for them – and you, i know you like Lore Vayne – come). But why does it have to be You or me story? So many solution to combine both.

The hylek language farm will unlock specific rewards you can only get after you’ve unlocked it. For example there’s a specific boss you can’t fight until you have a certain level unlocked. Unlocking content is progress in most people’s books.

Arewn.2368

Here’s some information that math doesn’t affect. One of the big problems reported with this game, is the lack of progression. Most people don’t feel they’re progression. Even if you get another skill point after a certain level, people don’t see it as progression because it doesn’t only move forward. When you spend them it goes backwards till you get more, That’s because it’s a currency.

With the mastery system, people will feel like they’re progressing…even if they progress more slower, because mastery points won’t go backwards.

The few people that feel that XP gain after 80 is progression are just that. Few people.

I don’t feel that it’s progression. I do however feel that it’s a better way to reward us with skills points (shards to be) then making them yet ANOTHER rng loot drop.

The other thing is that your post presents a false dichotomy. The mastery system does not necessitate the removal of post-80 leveling.
You can have both.

Vayne.8563

I don’t feel that it’s progression. I do however feel that it’s a better way to reward us with skills points (shards to be) then making them yet ANOTHER rng loot drop.

The other thing is that your post presents a false dichotomy. The mastery system does not necessitate the removal of post-80 leveling.
You can have both.

But without knowing the drop rate and what drops them, this whole conversation is premature. They’re not likely to be random like a legendary. We might end up with as many of them as we have of dragonite ore.

It’s just a huge assumption that somehow you’ll be disadvantaged. We saw the same posts about laurels when the dailies came out. You’re saying Anet could do X without even knowing if they’ll need to or not. Without knowing if you’ll get more or less under the new system.

Seems premature to me.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Hold your horses. They have already stated that they have masteries that will be implemented for old world tyria as well.

Also, they are allowing gliding to be used in old world Tyria.

Exp post 80 will very much be important.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Hold your horses. They have already stated that they have masteries that will be implemented for old world tyria as well.

Also, they are allowing gliding to be used in old world Tyria.

Exp post 80 will very much be important.

Yes to Pact Tyria masteries, stated by devs.

No to gliding in Pact Tyria. Dev statements on that amount to “it would break the map. If we add new maps we can incorporate gliding in them.J”

Arewn.2368

But without knowing the drop rate and what drops them, this whole conversation is premature. They’re not likely to be random like a legendary. We might end up with as many of them as we have of dragonite ore.

It’s just a huge assumption that somehow you’ll be disadvantaged. We saw the same posts about laurels when the dailies came out. You’re saying Anet could do X without even knowing if they’ll need to or not. Without knowing if you’ll get more or less under the new system.

Seems premature to me.

No, it’s not premature.
I know the method of acquisition. I could not care so much as an iota less what the drop rate is, within the context of this conversation. It’s irrelevant to me. I don’t care if it’s easier or harder to get them.
What I know is that it’s a drop of some sort (that’s all I need to know) vs the old acquisition method of leveling, which is to include the existence of leveling which keeps exp somewhat relevant post 80. That’s what I care about. And that’s what I think many people care about, the VS.
It’s not a big deal to me, I simply prefer getting them through post-80 leveling vs having yet another loot drop. Like dragonite ore. And bloodstone dust. And empyreal frags. And geodes. And bandit crests. And an assorted array of crafting mats. And more to come in the expansion too I’m sure.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Where does it say we won’t be getting XP anymore, or whatever they start calling what moves the bar at the bottom of the screen?

Just because a currency may be only acquired through one way (killing mobs anywhere in the open world, and maybe elsewhere), just like some of the other currencies in-game, doesn’t mean people won’t get XP (or whatever it is called) from doing all the things that awarded XP before, nor would any modifiers become obsolete. Where do these ‘facts’ come from? The Devs never said Masteries were finite, in fact, they have stated the opposite. Why feel the Devs will never offer something the players will be interested in, rather than speculate about the possibilities?

Why always so much hand-wringing before these things are implemented? Wouldn’t it be better to ascertain all the facts first?

Bah…I know, I am odd.

Vayne.8563

Seems premature to me.

No, it’s not premature.
I know the method of acquisition. I could not care so much as an iota less what the drop rate is, within the context of this conversation. It’s irrelevant to me. I don’t care if it’s easier or harder to get them.
What I know is that it’s a drop of some sort (that’s all I need to know) vs the old acquisition method of leveling, which is to include the existence of leveling which keeps exp somewhat relevant post 80. That’s what I care about. And that’s what I think many people care about, the VS.
It’s not a big deal to me, I simply prefer getting them through post-80 leveling vs having yet another loot drop. Like dragonite ore. And bloodstone dust. And empyreal frags. And geodes. And bandit crests. And an assorted array of crafting mats. And more to come in the expansion too I’m sure.

Well if you don’t care to listen to anyone else’s opinion, not much to talk about. You’re not being reasonable. If the drop rate is high enough where it doesn’t matter….if people aren’t being disadvantaged by the new system then they’re not being disadvantaged by the new system.

Why should anyone even respond to you if that doesn’t matter? Your argument becomes invalid.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

The OP makes an interesting point, which I hadn’t thought of. What happens when you are in a map, and your mastery is maxed?

You just get nothing then, no mastery track progression at all? I mean, if it’s full, it can’t go up any more, right?

Or does something else happen? If so, what.

I still find this new system confusing (without being able to actually look / play with it I mean).

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Vayne.8563

The OP makes an interesting point, which I hadn’t thought of. What happens when you are in a map, and your mastery is maxed?

You just get nothing then, no mastery track progression at all? I mean, if it’s full, it can’t go up any more, right?

Or does something else happen? If so, what.

I still find this new system confusing (without being able to actually look / play with it I mean).

If you’re familiar with the way WvW reward tracks work, you can always switch reward tracks to any track you’ve unlocked. The same will be true of masteries.

So if you bother unlocking the masteries, which I would think would be a priority for most people, once you finish a mastery track, you can switch to another one.

Keep in mind, each mastery track has multiple levels also.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They have already said that exp is going away for level 80s. It’s being replaced by something similar to but not the exact same.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=35818&storypage=2
“The masteries seen in the demo are just the tip of what masteries will be available at launch, and the team will have more surprises for players. We wanted to know if all those consumables, like Tomes of Knowledge and Writs of Experience, would help players unlock all of these masteries faster. The short answer is that they won’t. The experience bar is going away and is being replaced by the mastery training bar. This training bar is in no way tied to experience, but fills up by going out and doing stuff in the world. So any item that gives you experience won’t help you train masteries.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Arewn.2368

Well if you don’t care to listen to anyone else’s opinion, not much to talk about. You’re not being reasonable. If the drop rate is high enough where it doesn’t matter….if people aren’t being disadvantaged by the new system then they’re not being disadvantaged by the new system.

Why should anyone even respond to you if that doesn’t matter? Your argument becomes invalid.

You’re completely misrepresenting what I said.
I’m perfectly willing to listen to what others have to say on the matter. But what they say should be relevant to the point I actually made.
Re-read my post a little more carefully, and you’ll note that my problem is in the type of delivery, not in the balance of the numbers.

Here’s an example.
Let’s say you wanted to do some good ol’ fashion PvE dungeons. But Arena Net decided they’re for some odd reason changing all of the dungeons into PvP maps, and are also increasing the rewards they give. Hurray!
Oh but wait, that’s no good, because you don’t want to do PvP. It doesn’t matter how the rewards are balanced, because how the content itself is being handled does not suit your preferences. You wanted to play some PvE dungeons, not PvP maps.
See the problem?

Now back to reality. What did I actually say in my post? That I prefer getting my shards through post-80 leveling (and I gave a reason for this) instead of through loot (and I gave a reason for this too).
It doesn’t matter if one gives more shards then the other, because that’s not where my concern lies. I’m okay with the numbers either way. My concern lies with the delivery, the method of acquiring the shards.

Vayne.8563

You’re completely misrepresenting what I said.
I’m perfectly willing to listen to what others have to say on the matter. But what they say should be relevant to the point I actually made.
Re-read my post a little more carefully, and you’ll note that my problem is in the type of delivery, not in the balance of the numbers.

Here’s an example.
Let’s say you wanted to do some good ol’ fashion PvE dungeons. But Arena Net decided they’re for some odd reason changing all of the dungeons into PvP maps, and are also increasing the rewards they give. Hurray!
Oh but wait, that’s no good, because you don’t want to do PvP. It doesn’t matter how the rewards are balanced, because how the content itself is being handled does not suit your preferences. You wanted to play some PvE dungeons, not PvP maps.
See the problem?

Now back to reality. What did I actually say in my post? That I prefer getting my shards through post-80 leveling (and I gave a reason for this) instead of through loot (and I gave a reason for this too).
It doesn’t matter if one gives more shards then the other, because that’s not where my concern lies. I’m okay with the numbers either way. My concern lies with the delivery, the method of acquiring the shards.

But that’s not what’s going on. The real problem is you feel like you’ll be at some sort of disadvantage…that you’ll get less skill points than you get now for the same amount of playing. I’m not sure that’s the case. You’re not sure that’s the case. Since we don’t know this, what I’m saying is valid.

Because if you’re getting the same number or more skill points, RNG or not RNG, I don’t see a problem and I don’t see how you can see one.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I still use food to gain more experience, thus more skill points thus I can craft more superior siege (yes, there really are people like this out there). So, every food gives experience, all utilities give experience what will replace that on level 80 food/utility?

Amadan.9451

What we had were two systems that should have been using two different currencies, and now they do. Every source that used to give scrolls of knowledge will now give spirit shards, which Miyani will accept for her materials. A few things will change to accommodate this split:
Tomes of knowledge will level you up if you are under level 80 and give one spirit shard if you’ve reached level 80.
Writs of experience can only be used if you’re under level 80, and they can be traded in to Miyani for a tome of knowledge at a rate of 20 writs per tome.
Leveling up after level 80 no longer grants skill points, but level 80 characters will be able to loot spirit shards off of monsters.
Any scrolls of knowledge that you have in your possession will automatically be converted to spirit shards, and any source that used to award scrolls of knowledge will now grant spirit shards.

so why are you bothered that the new currency will be rare? with all the skill scrolls dropping as a guaranteed (keyword) drop?

just reading this i know 3 things:
after level 80 i will progress differently and more interestingly than i do now.
i don’t have to worry for the new currency since i’ll be full of it from the very beginning.
i don’t need to much of that currency since miyani’s item can be acquired for the same amount of spirit shards that used to be skill point.

Join the Rainbow Pride

Jana.6831

after level 80 i will progress differently and more interestingly than i do now.

You won’t progress at all.

Amadan.9451

masteries are a progress to me and honestly are a progress i care about while having 1 more skill point i can’t care less

Join the Rainbow Pride

Jana.6831

masteries are a progress to me and honestly are a progress i care about while having 1 more skill point i can’t care less

You’re right, I always forget about the masteries.

I do care about skill points/MF shards
I mean anet could give me superior siege for free, then I wouldn’t care as well.

Vayne.8563

You’re right, I always forget about the masteries.

I do care about skill points/MF shards
I mean anet could give me superior siege for free, then I wouldn’t care as well.

Right and until you see if you get less, more or around the same skill points, this entire conversation is pretty much meaningless.

People are saying I’m mad because I’m losing X, even though X is being replaced with Y and they don’t know how much Y they’re getting. They don’t know. They assume it will be less, but it might not be.

It’s like the argument people had when laurels were part of the daily. People thought they’d get less laurels and ended up with more laurels.

Jana.6831

Right and until you see if you get less, more or around the same skill points, this entire conversation is pretty much meaningless.

People are saying I’m mad because I’m losing X, even though X is being replaced with Y and they don’t know how much Y they’re getting. They don’t know. They assume it will be less, but it might not be.

It’s like the argument people had when laurels were part of the daily. People thought they’d get less laurels and ended up with more laurels.

Same old problem with you: you don’t read my posts.

I still use food to gain more experience, thus more skill points thus I can craft more superior siege (yes, there really are people like this out there). So, every food gives experience, all utilities give experience what will replace that on level 80 food/utility?

Edit: Should I explain it further so you get my point? That’s a genuine question, you might not get it as you might not play the game the way I do.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Jana.6831

And you can still do that just get a skillpoint farming char once it get to 80 delete and remake.

And that would help me with what?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

And you can still do that just get a skillpoint farming char once it get to 80 delete and remake.

And that would help me with what?

well nothing i had a brain freeze since you wont get spirit shards from lvling up its hero points after change was thinking you could use food below 80 =)

Jana.6831

Thing is: Right now I can max the experience = skillpoints = sup siege I get.
After the change I have no reason to use food in PvE anymore and I might get the same amount of skillpoints as before or more or less, no one knows.
So: Gaining SP is out of my hands (for now until we know the drop rates of the shards) and the +exp on level 80 food + utility will be useless – and I’d like to know with what it will be replaced.

Posted by: LukeBu.5381

LukeBu.5381

I know some people that like exploring and crafting as a means to level up, this ruins it for them. Also I have no reason to do things I think should be rewarded at 80. EG rezzing some poor kitten you walk by in the woods, instead of thinking well I’ll be a nice guy and get some exp, now its just a waste of my time use the WP. This was in no way a positive change. Add back in a reward for post 80 levels, hopefully something we want like gold, achievement points, titles, or something. Get people caring about all the stuff in the game we are just walking by.