No raids, of course there is grinding!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: steelwind.1054

steelwind.1054

And I welcome it with open arms!

I just don’t understand the complaints from players about having to grind for their gear. At least GW2 allows you to obtain the best gear in the game without having to schedule your life around being able to raid. I would rather grind for my gear at my own pace and schedule then have to rely on 24 other people to both show up and perform for me to have a CHANCE at my goals. There are plenty other games for people with the “I want it now” and “with little effort” mentality.

GW2, the MMO for games “with a life”

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

This tired straw man again (the whole “You want everything for nothing” nonsense)? Really? Haven’t we moved passed simply regurgitating this same ridiculously pathetic straw man yet?

If you love grinding so much, WoW exists. Go play it instead of trying to ruin this game.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And I welcome it with open arms!

I just don’t understand the complaints from players about having to grind for their gear. At least GW2 allows you to obtain the best gear in the game without having to schedule your life around being able to raid. I would rather grind for my gear at my own pace and schedule then have to rely on 24 other people to both show up and perform for me to have a CHANCE at my goals. There are plenty other games for people with the “I want it now” and “with little effort” mentality.

GW2, the MMO for games “with a life”

It’s the new generation. It seems everyone feels they’re self-entitled to whatever they want. I could elaborate more but this goes beyond the scope of the forums.

Posted by: steelwind.1054

steelwind.1054

This tired straw man again (the whole “You want everything for nothing” nonsense)? Really? Haven’t we moved passed simply regurgitating this same ridiculously pathetic straw man yet?

If you love grinding so much, WoW exists. Go play it instead of trying to ruin this game.

I think you have it backwards my friend. I am an advocate for keeping the game as it is including the grind for the best gear. It seems to me as you are the one that wants to change/ruin the game by making everything easy to obtain. For goal oriented players like myself, I don’t care how hard it is to obtain as long as I can work toward that goal. Without long-term goals where is the incentive?

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

Guild Wars 1.

Not even sure if there needs to be anything else said.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

Posted by: Sals.9534

Sals.9534

The thing with raids is I could go out and one or two nights get a gear upgrade, the way it is now I have to do dungeon after dungeon to get anything.

Added the fact that dungeons are instanced kills it for me. I come from a back ground of rallying to a zone before another guild got there to clear to target.

I like grinding, don’t get me wrong but doing the same dungeon over and over is mind numbing and it just feels like a hamster wheel to keep you playing till new content is out.

WWW is the only raid feeling I get from this game, but the rewards for doing WWW are not up to par with PvE.

Colegate / Selos Song Kaineng-DE Guild

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

LOL…WoW doesn’t have NEAR the grinding GW2 has at the moment.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

Not even close to being true. Can you at least try?

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

Guild Wars 1.

If you want Guild Wars 1 go play Guild Wars 1.

Shootsfoot.9276

With somebody that isn’t playing WoW? Probably not, but believe what you want to believe.

I can tell you that if I wanted to get into serious raiding, it wouldn’t take more than a month or two to get fully-geared.

How long will it take to get a legendary in this game? Longer than that, I can tell you. Especially with current drop rates.

(edited by Shootsfoot.9276)

Reaver.9256

With somebody that isn’t playing WoW? Probably not, but believe what you want to believe.

I can tell you that if I wanted to get into serious raiding, it wouldn’t take more than a month or two to get fully-geared.

How long will it take to get a legendary in this game? Longer than that, I can tell you.

That makes no sense. A legendary is just a useless skin. Took me a whole 5 minutes to get geared after I hit 80. That includes the best weapons in the game. I’ve played WoW plenty so I know for a FACT it has 100x the grind as this game.

Shootsfoot.9276

You know for a fact it has 100x the grind as this game.

I love people who make up statistics to try to make their opinion fact.

Reaver.9256

I know it’s a fact because I’ve played both games. Archaeology alone has more grind in it than this whole game and that actually provides useful things unlike a useless legendary skin.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

WoW vanilla and really up until about a few months into BC, it did have a bit of intense farming/grinding at times… mainly for those doing raids. I know GW2 wants to do away with tradition and be different from the mold, but that shouldn’t mean not doing your homework on what certain core systems (like an economy) work and why. Maybe WoW was able to have it’s economy achieve homeostatis because it was making hand over fist with the subscription fees… I mean, the same company pushed out D3 and that game’s economy is all sorts of bungled in an attempt to get those precious micro-transactions.

I guess the golden question that earns you the big bucks is how to make a game that has a balanced economy for the players and can earn your company money. The mindset in the industry seems to be making the consumer pay upfront or attempting some form of nickle n’ dime on the consumer.

Honestly, I thought the game moving forward was going to be more like $60 bucks for the game initially and maybe some meaningful DLC installments every 3-4 months for like $5-$15 a pop with your occasional “freebies” like the holiday events.

Shootsfoot.9276

I know it’s a fact because I’ve played both games. Archaeology alone has more grind in it than this whole game and that actually provides useful things unlike a useless legendary skin.

You didn’t have to do Archeology at all. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever to do it.

And if you haven’t played the latest expansion, honestly, you have zero idea what you’re talking about. Not an insult…just a point.

They have made it more accessible than ever because that’s what the vast majority of people want. Where they are succeeding and GW2 is failing, to be honest, is collectibles.

People go nuts for the pets that drop in the game, along with all the different mounts that can be had and interesting achievements. It’s created an entire subset of players who really don’t give a rip about raiding or having max-stat gear.

The pets in this game have to be bought, and the achievements, frankly, are lacking and uninteresting. Half the time I get one accidentally.

Again…I’m not advocating mounts in this game…I’m just giving an example.

It should also be known that I really like both games and I play both games.

(edited by Shootsfoot.9276)

Posted by: Servanin.5021

Servanin.5021

Currently takes about 3 days to get ready for raids in WoW. Contrary to what people think, they weren’t designed for full epics, they were designed for the current dungeon blues.

Has been like that since WoTLK. Maybe not BC. People wanting you to have better gear than the raid actually has is a mentality issue, not tuning issue.

Takes 252,000 karma to get an exotic set. Doesn’t include weapons or the five trinket slots, doesn’t include the sigils or runes you might want for your build.

Reaver.9256

You didn’t have to do Archeology at all. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever to do it.

And if you haven’t played the latest expansion, honestly, you have zero idea what you’re talking about. Not an insult…just a point.

They have made it more accessible than ever because that’s what the vast majority of people want. Where they are succeeding and GW2 is failing, to be honest, is collectibles.

People go nuts for the pets that drop in the game, along with all the different mounts that can be had and interesting achievements. It’s created an entire subset of players who really don’t give a rip about raiding or having max-stat gear.

The pets in this game have to be bought, and the achievements, frankly, are lacking and uninteresting. Half the time I get one accidentally.

You don’t need a legendary at all either. It’s even more useless than Archeology…..

Shootsfoot.9276

You don’t need a legendary at all either. It’s even more useless than Archeology…..

Nope, you don’t.

But it’s what a good majority of people are going after, judging by these forums and the complaints about grinding.

Funny you only picked out that one single sentence in my post, though.

Reaver.9256

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say anymore……

Shootsfoot.9276

Ok

(adding more for post minimum)

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

About mounts and pets in WoW…. I was actually a fan of grabbing different mounts in BC. The economic stability of the game made it easy to pursue these things without feeling super strapped for cash. 1600g on a flying hippogryph that moves just as fast as a super fast mount for 120g is purely cosemetic…. but to getting 1600g was relatively easy to get with about 20-30 minutes of daily quests every day for a few weeks (I think it was something like you could do like 10-15 daily quests at 5 gold a quest… I remember it taking almost no time to recoup the gold spent).

The rep grind in order to be able to purchase these things could be a bore at times, especially in areas that didn’t have dailies or dungeons to build quick rep with factions… but there were benefits other than vendor access like lowered repair costs and more from vendoring. Grind rep was also farming for whatever… so you were effectively killing two birds with one stone.

Shootsfoot.9276

Yeah, grinding for rep sucks. I agree 100% on that one.

It used to be 25 daily quests max, but with this expansion they have removed the cap.