No structure in this game kinda turns me off

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

At the end of the day however you do NOT have to play this game as efficiently as possible. The vast majority doesn’t.

This times a few thousand. None of my characters have yet to complete a zone (much less the world) and the oldest one is coming up on 3 years of doing this now. I play to have fun, not to meet some arbitrary standard. I may enter a given zone 1 time or 100 times and never think ‘oh, I can not go here because I already unfogged that area on the map’. I just do whatever is fun. Occasionally ‘fun’ is uncovering somewhere I have not been before with that character, but not always.

Can I make a suggestion? Find someone who just wants to explore and team up with them. Then you can follow away to your heart’s content. Plus they will not probably mind having someone to fight alongside them. If you need a way to get started with this just give a shout in your guild or use the LFG tool.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

bug bug bug bug bug ………

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Tldr:

OP loves boring super repetative games that has no adventure and gets handholded in everything…..

i bet he also hates Witcher 3….

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

There does need to be more info in the game, not just a reliance on Wiki. For instance getting your first Ascended weapon should give you access to a tooltip or even a page that gives you info on changing stats and whatnot for weapons, armor, rings, amulets, and accessories. They could make each one a separate page or note that is either mailed or picked up with the item. You could even do an ingame manual that gives players access to this. Or even an NPC in the city that explains these that sends you a letter to visit them. Would make the world a little less confusing.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

There does need to be more info in the game, not just a reliance on Wiki. For instance getting your first Ascended weapon should give you access to a tooltip or even a page that gives you info on changing stats and whatnot for weapons, armor, rings, amulets, and accessories. They could make each one a separate page or note that is either mailed or picked up with the item. You could even do an ingame manual that gives players access to this. Or even an NPC in the city that explains these that sends you a letter to visit them. Would make the world a little less confusing.

Or make stat changing a crafting recipe.

OP, your examples sound less like examples of a game lacking structure and more like examples of a lack of curiosity. You get laurels and never check what they can be redeemed for and want to raid but don’t explore how to obtain BiS gear. I agree that GW2 depends on wiki and outside sources, but so has nearly every game I have played and optimizing your work and time always requires research. The only way to optimize without doing research is for the game to oversimplify until the optimized path is the only path or be a prescient genius.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Sorry to hear you find it lacking. It would seem, though, that tens of thousands, if not more, find it, at the very least, adequate. Even preferable to being led around. It’s a core principle of the game, this freedom to do as one desires.

I desire to be at the same level as high-end raiders. I imagine everyone wants to. However, without putting lots of effort outside the game to learn how to have the same equipment they do, it is impossible. All I am asking for is an in-game path. Do you disagree that new players should have a guide to creating ascended equipment?

You imagine incorrectly. I’ve been playing GW since the first few weeks of GW1 and obviously since beta of gw2 and I have literally ZERO desire to ever raid. I barely like to fractal. Pretty sure I’ve only mostly dungeoned. I also have a ton of level 80 toons. Fun fact: I just recently started working on my first legendary because I was bored and figured meh, why not. Point is, you want to be lead by the hand to the highest tiers yet seem to not to want to put in the work to figure this stuff out. And to be honest, if you were doing the crafting from the beginning of your tenure, you would’ve learned the ins and outs just from playing. Same with your way around the maps. Its really not that hard.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

GW2’s structure works a bit different compaired with other MMOs. E.g. in many MMOs there are Quest-hubs and the players are often guided to the next hub by a quest.

In GW2 it works similar but smoother and unobtrusive, especially when the player follows event-npcs after the event has been completed and listens to their conversations, which often leads to the next event, although there are no indications on the map or the ui that something is going to start soon.

E.g. in Diessa Plateau in the Village of Butcher’s Block there is the cook who wants some eggs from worms in the cave nearby. If you complete this event and then immediately go away, because it looks like there’s nothing to do anymore, you much likely will miss the next event in this small chain (fighting the Worm Champion) unless it’s mentioned in chat by a player. This event only starts when the egg collecting event was successfully completed and about 5 Minutes later.

Patience pays in GW2.

(edited by Lanhelin.3480)

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Did anet break the content guide? It used to be on by default for everyone.

Was gonna ask the same.
Although the guide on default I think usually shows personal story as a priority, if you set it to disable personal story it should show you the nearest heart to go to.

Maps like silverwastes run map meta events on a timer, pretty much all the 80 maps have it now, those maps are designed to be repetitive to keep you busy at 80. The lower maps are meant for you to explore 100% and move on as you level, the events in those zones are usually triggered into chain events, either you trigger it or it triggers due to players around.

Whole point of the game is to explore the zones and run into stuff, talk to the scouts around to reveal stuff before you get to them. But if you can’t do that then cheat I guess http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/interactive-maps/

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

You imagine incorrectly. I’ve been playing GW since the first few weeks of GW1 and obviously since beta of gw2 and I have literally ZERO desire to ever raid. I barely like to fractal.

Yup. Not everyone raids, in fact I’d bet most players don’t. Not everyone wants to raid. Not everyone cares about “endgame”. And that is perfectly fine and not one bit less of a “valid” way to play. Don’t care so much about what other people do, OP. If you obsess only so much becoming “pro” and playing “perfectly”, then of course you can’t enjoy the actual game because it’s all just an obstacle towards some nebulous ever-shifting goalpoast (and there’s no guarantee you’d even enjoy the vaunted “endgame” if you made it there, either.)

Posted by: PMind.1374

PMind.1374

HIDING behind the Wiki? Dude, there is a link to it on the login screen. It is literally the manual to the game. Every last piece of information is there. That’s like saying, “How do I build this furniture? Oh no, I’ll never figure it out. If only they hadn’t hidden the instruction in the friggin’ Instruction Manual! I give up!”

Do your research. Explore. Observe. Ask questions. This game has one of the most helpful communities I have ever encountered. Don’t understand something? Wiki it. If you’re not willing to do that, then this is not the game for you.