Nobody will buy ascended rings with laurels.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I think some of the other laurel items also need to come down in price. Its going to take about 3 months to get the top item, and that means you can’t spend any laurels on any of the other stuff. That is, unless they are going to give us some laurels for the other achievements…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

it’s a shy step forward, although fractals continue to somehow be “more efficient” (and imho this is wrong, no place in the game should’ve higher chances to get better stuff or content, and everything should be left to what players like to do) and has but one solid point: you can choose exactly which ring/amulet get, a thing you can’t do by crossing fingers and opening Fractal’s chest.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I spend most my time in WvW. I am not a fan of fractals. If I get ascended gear it’ll be through laurels/WvW. The only time I set foot into fractals is for the monthly. Hopefully I won’t have to do that at all in Feb. with the new changing goals.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Such is life in the grinding lane. It’s best not to look for logical coherence; Just jump on the treadmill most conveniently located near you and grind. It’s the path Anet has chosen. I, personally, will not acquire an ascended ring either through grinding laurels or grinding dungeons. It’s basically the same reason that, while I spent hundreds of dollars in the gem store pre-11/15, I haven’t spent a penny there since 11/15. It’s a principle issue for me.

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Oh for god’s sake Kitty, some of us don’t want to spend our limited time grinding away the same content over and over. That’s not fun; it’s work.
Why is it ridiculous that Dailies should have the same reward rate as Fractals?
What if I think players who are able to adapt to new scenarios and seek out different ways of achieving dailies are better than people who play the same content that doesn’t change over and over again?
Let’s face it, there’s nothing hard or unpredictable about playing the same instanced, scripted content over and over.
You just have to have a complete lack of imagination and be stimulated by repetitive grind.

Oh give it a break, if you think doing daily achievements is even close to the same as fractals in terms of difficulty or time then you’re deluded.

This gives you a choice. Do something easier and wait a bit longer for rings, or do something a bit harder and get them faster.

Stop being a spoiled brat who has to have everything right now.

If you think you should do some easy as hell daily achievements and get an ascended ring in the same amount of time as it takes doing fractals, you’re crazy.

It isn’t about easier or harder. It is about play styles.

I have never entered a fractal. I don’t even really know where they are. I have zero interest and if I can help it I will never do one. This isn’t because it is “too hard” for me, I just have no interest. I am here for WvW. I, not saying that is better than fractals, it is just what I enjoy.

The fact that doing what I enjoy earns me the rewards ten times slower than You is just wrong. It is not how they intended their game to go, when they advertised. I can spend the same amount of time in WvW, OR MORE, than you do in fractals and it will still take me far far longer to get the best gear.

That is a problem. I know thast eventually they will be working to fix that, but so far it is happening EXTREMELY slowly, and that is a poor indication about their priorities. This is a perfect example. You get one laurel a day, no matter how many hours you play. I can spend eight hours in WVW and end up with a single laurel. Tell me what you can get I eight hours of fractals…

Posted by: Kvitoq.9154

Kvitoq.9154

Nobody will buy ascended rings with laurels? Im nobody :P

I don’t run fractals, I do wvw. Guess that makes me nobody as well…

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Nobody will buy ascended rings with laurels? Im nobody :P

I don’t run fractals, I do wvw. Guess that makes me nobody as well…

Ditto. One thing we can say is that “nobody” (all of us) won’t have an ascended ring for another month or so (or more).

Posted by: AreUMadBro.6907

AreUMadBro.6907

I just hope they consider our achievement points like some people said. If they do, we should get at least 1% of our achievement points. E.g: If I have 3k achievement points, I would get 30.
1% is very low, but considering that we would be able to get the most expensive ascended gear, its not bad.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

You can’t consider it low when you can craft a full exotic set and weapons in less than 15 minutes.

You can if you know that ascended gear is supposed to be somewhere between exotic and legendary. Because the amount of time needed to get 1 item is exactly that.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

You can’t consider it low when you can craft a full exotic set and weapons in less than 15 minutes.

You can if you know that ascended gear is supposed to be somewhere between exotic and legendary. Because the amount of time needed to get 1 item is exactly that.

So you can level to fotm 10 in a couple of hours then start getting pink rings (people have tons of them actualy), but if you are wvwing, it suddenly becomes an “almost legendary” item that you have to grind for weeks/months?

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

You did not read all that on the rings there is a new utilities so you can put the +20 % mf gold find and the 15% karma. It makes some way to get rings if you do not run fractal and a use beyond that of just fractal.

Unless that 15% karma works on jugs, nobody will slot utility over raw stats. Certainly not people who care for WvW.

Rings don’t come with utility slot variety, only amulets.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I tell you what.

Id rather do years of dailies to get my laurel Rings and whatever than those hundreds of fractal runs people had to do… any day..

I believe four trinkets a month would have been fairer than they are now, but my need to play Guildwars 2 is so low lately i’ll probably never need any of this..

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

For the living story stuff they are thinking about giving out Laurels for the rewards. Not sure when or how many but there might be an additonal way to get them. Maybe.

Posted by: Sladeakakevin.4162

Sladeakakevin.4162

This is only the first stage of getting Laurels. They said they will add more ways to get them in the coming months.

But will they add more alternate ways to get ascended eq? Like by crafting, for example?

I know, crafting being actually useful is a novel idea…

I’m not sure why you are even bringing this up, I was talking about getting Laurels, not Ascended gear.

CHOAM.7852

I tell you what.

Id rather do years of dailies to get my laurel Rings and whatever than those hundreds of fractal runs people had to do… any day..

I believe four trinkets a month would have been fairer than they are now, but my need to play Guildwars 2 is so low lately i’ll probably never need any of this..

It takes 19 runs for the first ring, and 10 for subsequent rings. This is assuming you obtain them through pristine relics only, without considering the chance for drop when you are getting those pristine relics.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Right now? No. A year from now? Some people will have laurels just sitting around, collecting dust. No harm in putting things in that they may want for an alt or something, when the day comes.

Yeah, lets just hope that by then they don’t introduce a new tier of gear that requires 370 laurels.

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

Not a big fan of dungeons where I need to spend considerable time in… I prefer to mostly WvW, sPvP and quick dungeon runs. And I <3 ANET for this patch. I gives me a sense of security that I will eventually get all those Ascendiary I’ve been missing out. They’ve kept to their word that we don’t need to grind and let us play the game the way we want.

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

It really gets very tedious seeing the amount of players that want something for nothing. If you truly want a games designer to give you things without having to ‘earn’ them or put in any ‘effort’ then I suggest you play another MMO.
Anet have many faults, however as far as making players work to get stuff they have got it just right.
Dont be so LAZY ! In the end you’ll appreciate it more and it adds longevity to the game ! ! !

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

If you think you absolutely need ascended gear at all to play effectively, feel you have to strive towards efficiency to maximize your (make-belief) gains and play games for many reasons, but certainly not for fun – yes, your original post makes a lot of sense.

It’s pretty simple, really: fractals are hard-as-nails compared to casual open-world dailies, so it only makes sense that playing hard gets you the really, really good stuff with some expediency – hopefully whilsts having fun (what with GW2 being a game), whilst doing the dailes gets you some nice things after a while, as a sweet little bonus to enjoying yourself.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

Honestly, the prices are around one month for a ring+infusion, all you have to do is play the game casually and you get it for free, nothing has been nerfed by the arrival of laurels, they are an addition.
That one month looks like a grind now cause everyone already has lvl 80’s and most are in full exotics. But for a new player, by the time he gets lvl80 and exotics he will already have a nice pile of laurels (unless your do powerlvling and twinking).

I don’t do fractals, i did lvl1 when they came out and said goodbye to them.
Ascended gear is of no importance to me, i play mainly wvw and i’m not even in full exotics since i don’t have the cash for em anyway, my trinkets are still rare.
In only one month i will get a free ascended ring/amu, and i won’t have to grind for it or do anything in the game that i don’t want to, i don’t even have to pay any gold for it at all.

If you are in this game just for the items you will be very disappointed.
GW2 doesn’t require you to grind anymore than you want to, a character in rare’s is just as viable as one in exotics + ascended gear, the latter only has a small advantage when players are equally skilled, otherwise skill>items.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

I like the concept of Fractals, but people’s drive towards hyper-efficiency turns me off. I don’t much care about Ascended gear (I don’t feel as though I need it), but if I ever do, Laurels will probably be how I get what I can.

Ironically, the people that run Fractals the most are also likely to be the people I want to run Fractals with the least.

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: Light.6095

Light.6095

If you think you absolutely need ascended gear at all to play effectively, feel you have to strive towards efficiency to maximize your (make-belief) gains and play games for many reasons, but certainly not for fun – yes, your original post makes a lot of sense.

Oh please. Just because he enjoys a different facet of the game then you doesn’t mean he is “certainly” not having fun. Min-maxing is popular with certain people exactly because they enjoy it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Honestly, the prices are around one month for a ring+infusion, all you have to do is play the game casually and you get it for free, nothing has been nerfed by the arrival of laurels, they are an addition.
That one month looks like a grind now cause everyone already has lvl 80’s and most are in full exotics. But for a new player, by the time he gets lvl80 and exotics he will already have a nice pile of laurels (unless your do powerlvling and twinking).

Oh, please. It certainly didn’t take you 3 months (2 rings and amulet) to get to level 80 on your first char, right? And for any next character it will be even faster…
Doing it this way seriously discourages people from playing more than one char, or to experiment with their builds. It is a clear message – “pick one char, one build, and stick with it forever”.
This is actually in many ways worse than having them accessible only in fractals (because it’s now even less likely we’ll get a sensible alternate way to get them).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

I will.I hate FOTM
(just a personal thing,like the idea of it anet

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Right now? No. A year from now? Some people will have laurels just sitting around, collecting dust. No harm in putting things in that they may want for an alt or something, when the day comes.

BiS gear is not something you plan for the long term. Let’s turn AC gear token requirements up to 700 tokens per armor and 1000 for a two-hander and see if the long term is that appealing while your toon is sitting on subpar rares.

Dailies get done while you’re leveling up. Fractals require you to get all up to level 10 to start getting rings (take note that the rewards are scaled to your personal reward level and not the level that you’re running). I have a level 15 fractal character. I hae many alts. Will I take my alts and raise their level up until 10? Not likely. Why? It consumes a lot of time and I still have better things to do. An ascended ring is only 0.5% better than an exotic. You can get exotics and get ascendeds far later. There’s nothing wrong with a long term goal.

Oh, please. It certainly didn’t take you 3 months (2 rings and amulet) to get to level 80 on your first char, right? And for any next character it will be even faster…
Doing it this way seriously discourages people from playing more than one char, or to experiment with their builds. It is a clear message – “pick one char, one build, and stick with it forever”.
This is actually in many ways worse than having them accessible only in fractals (because it’s now even less likely we’ll get a sensible alternate way to get them).

How is it encouraging to play one character only? There’s multiple rings with different stats available and now there’s 2 (not 1) ways to get those rings. I have plenty of alts and all of them will have amulets and rings. I don’t have a reason to rush for it though.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

I said lvl 80 and exotics, not just lvl 80.

And if you think this forces people to only play one character and one build, then you are seriously overestimating the need for ascended items.
Really only a minority of people cares about those items, only the few hardcore grinders and dungeon runners want them that badly to have that few % more stats so they can shave off a few minutes from their dungeon runs.
Those ascended items have negligible effects on wvw, open pve and not even usuable by pvpers. These laurels give those people a longterm option to get these items if they want to without the need to do stupid fractals.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

It really gets very tedious seeing the amount of players that want something for nothing. If you truly want a games designer to give you things without having to ‘earn’ them or put in any ‘effort’ then I suggest you play another MMO.
Anet have many faults, however as far as making players work to get stuff they have got it just right.
Dont be so LAZY ! In the end you’ll appreciate it more and it adds longevity to the game ! ! !

The only thing that is tedious are mind numblingly stupid statements such as people are lazy, because they don’t think a game that is meant for entertainment / fun should equate to work.

Some of the biggest layabouts on the planet “work” hard in computer games, whilst many of those who actually work, have real life responsbilites, etc don’t want a computer game to be another job, it is there for fun.

As for longevity, it adds for those who think gameplay is secondary and are more concerned with their game of virtual stamp collecting, salavating at the prospect of their next reward like Pavlov’s dogs.

For others, who bought the game based on years of what Anet stated (in retrospect, laughably stated) it does not increase the longevity, the game design moving toward the audience of WoW nabs, has the opposite effect.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i won t say that ascended rings are fair priced….
But did u notice how more powerful are them compared to fotm ones?
+30% MF? +20% Gold?

those infusion cannot be applied to fotm versions and will make you rich….
For how they have been done every players should need one of each…
One for fotm with AR and another with those infusion for other dungeons/pve….

Also infusions with stats for fotm versions costs so much…

I hope they ll rethink those infusions and lower prices on non fotm also…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

I’m buying one ring from fractals and one from Laurels.

I do 1 fractals run a week, it’s as much as I can stomach. I used to like Fractals but I’ve done them all now and find running them again very boring, it’s just exactly the same gameplay each time. I can force myself do one every week just for my ring without getting too bored.

I was stuck on level 7 before the new grouping thing, as nobody ever wanted to run 7, so I ended up just doing 2, 4 or 6 each week

Now I can get to 10 easily by joining people on their level 10 daily. Once I’m at 10 I’ll do 1 run of 10 every week. after 10 weeks I’ll have enough tokens to buy a ring (my luck is terrible so I will not be dropping a ring with the stats I want, of that I can assure you), and I’ll have 10 weeks worth of Laurels, so enough for my ammy and another ring.

So yeah, without Laurels there’s no way I’d be getting 2 ascended rings.

There’s a very good chance that they’ll add more ways to get laurels in the next 10 weeks as well, so more ways to earn Ascended.

(edited by Chamone.6890)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

+30% MF? +20% Gold?

the thing is you don’t need that +20% gold and +30% magic find. Is there a difference a mob drops 60 copper or 72 copper? And unless you stack a lot of mf you wouldn’t see a real difference either.
Also how much did that +4 vitality, toughness, etc cost? 5 laurels? I don’t think that that is too much.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i will go for rings man why not xD

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I’m not taking the time to read through all the responses, so somebody may have said this already. But, you are forgetting that eventually we will be rewarded laurels for achievements outside of daily/monthly (maybe even retroactively).

So, you only have a semi-good point (I wouldn’t even say completely right) based off the current system. Your failure to look into the future is making you seem silly.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

+30% MF? +20% Gold?

the thing is you don’t need that +20% gold and +30% magic find. Is there a difference a mob drops 60 copper or 72 copper? And unless you stack a lot of mf you wouldn’t see a real difference either.
Also how much did that +4 vitality, toughness, etc cost? 5 laurels? I don’t think that that is too much.

Kill 100 mobs and now you have 72 silver instead of 60 silver.
Not to mention some dungeon bosses that can drop 20silver. Now you’re at 24 silver instead. It matters.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

A lv10 fractal is easily done in 20-30 minutes.

Your daily solo will take you about the same amount of time, especially the one asking for “events” and underwater kills and gathering and kill variety.

If you think lv10 fractal is hard, I don’t know what to say to you. Other than you’ve clearly not run lv30 or Arah/Sorrow’s Embrace.

Just for the record, because I have about 3000 fractals sitting in my bank, you should amend this statement to:

“A lv10 fractal is easily done in 20-30 minutes, if you get swamp, underwater, and urban.”

I love that the forum as a whole has grabbed onto a full fractal run taking 20-30 mins. Reality is much closer to an hour if you get dredge or cliffside, or even longer if you get both.

Swamp is doable in 5-10 mins.
Underwater is doable in 5-10 mins.
Urban is doable in 10-15 mins.
Maw takes a good 10 mins even if you skip the trash.

Those are the shortest possible fractals. If you do the minimum time, that comes out to 30 mins roughly. I could go into the odds of rolling these three fractals, but it doesn’t seem necessary to make my point.

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

You can get 40 max per moth. At 35 a piece, competing with the amulets which give better stats and nobody has, the grind for rings for people who do not do fractals is insane.

The grind?

Doing your daily is a grind? I think not.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

CHOAM.7852

+30% MF? +20% Gold?

The utility infusions cannot be applied to Laurel rings either. They are the same rings as FotM. I cannot tell if there’s a part of the Laurel vendor that I am not seeing that are selling these utility rings I have not found, but there are quite a few posts around saying this…

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

No actually a diverse way would be:
- Crafting leads to ring, backpack and amulets
- Karma leads to ring, backpack and amulets
- Dungeons leads to ring, backpack and amulets
- Fractals leads to ring, backpack and amulets
- Gold leads to ring, backpack and amulets
- WVWVW leads to ring, backpack and amulets
- Whatever else im forgetting leads to ring, backpack and amulets

That’s diverse.

They did this for exotics…why aren’t they doing it for ascended???

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

There’s apparently going to be more ways to get laurels, not just from dailies/monthlies.

They’ve said achievement points will figure into it somehow if I remember right. I wouldn’t sweat the prices on stuff too much just yet.