Non-sexy female medium armor choices

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

My female engineer Hagrida Blane is a battle hardened kitten. She’d laugh at the female norn upper tier armor with its pansy bras and stockings and what not.

I want to buy her some cultural armor, but all of them look so….eeewww….sexy! I mean, what of the rugged, battered, beer drinking, scarred, one-eyed veterans that many women warriors will obviously be?

I can’t bring myself to clothe Hagrida in such flimsy pathetic outfits. I’ve managed to find her a solid coat as shown in the attached picture, but I badly want some more “non sexy” female norn/human armor.

Come on Anet. Not all of us want to play sexed up huge bosomed female toons with flawless skin, pouty looks and thick wavy hair. Here’s Hagrida in her starter armor: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/93924/Engineer_2.png

Attachments:

(edited by bhagwad.4281)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Flash it or you don’t have it.

That’s for boobies.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

There’s plenty of what you’re looking for when it comes to medium armor. I don’t see your point.

bhagwad.4281

There’s plenty of what you’re looking for when it comes to medium armor. I don’t see your point.

My main beef is with high tier cultural armor. I want to buy it, but I can’t get any options as to the looks. And even with medium armor, it’s not as if there are too many “non sexy” choices.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Cultural armor is only 3 of many different choices. There are lots of non-revealing armor for norn and human (and sylvari) females:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn_female_medium_armor

For an engineer I like the Sorrow’s Embrace set, or the crafted one that’s just called leather armor’. But the Ascalonian or temple armors could work well too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Lore-wise skimpier armor makes a lot of sense for Norn (both genders). They have higher body temperatures and get grossly overheated in massive amounts of clothing, even in freezing external temperatures. Males have greater surface area for cooling, so they can get away with slightly more armor, but females having lower surface area actually vastly prefer less clothing to keep themselves an appropriate temperature.

Anyway, there are plenty of options for both if you really want them. You don’t have to use cultural armor. Use what you like.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

My main beef is with high tier cultural armor. I want to buy it, but I can’t get any options as to the looks. And even with medium armor, it’s not as if there are too many “non sexy” choices.

To me it sounds like you have too much gold and want to spend it on something expensive, but your “choices” are limited. The amount of “non-sexy” medium armors is overhauling the amount of “sexy” ones in the game at the moment. Your options are vast and wide. I’m sorry you have to bear that much gold, but if you want non-sexy looking armors they are only sold for few silvers here and there. Unless you want them served on golden plate? That would make them more expensive I guess?

bhagwad.4281

Cultural armor is only 3 of many different choices. There are lots of non-revealing armor for norn and human (and sylvari) females:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Norn_female_medium_armor

For an engineer I like the Sorrow’s Embrace set, or the crafted one that’s just called leather armor’. But the Ascalonian or temple armors could work well too.

You’re right, leather armor looks pretty good. Thanks!

Romo.3709

On a more serious note:
http://argos-soft.net/GW2/ArmorGallery/index.php?lang=en&color=10&sex=1&w=2&race=3
This should satisfy your cravings.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I applaud GW2 for being better than most games out there in terms of offering non-sex object armors for female characters, but I would definitely like to see more.

My female norn ranger is using a combination of the WvW chest, Duelist pants/boots, Leather gloves, and Rawhide shoulders, which I’m pretty happy with. I’d post a pic, but I’m at work and don’t have access to the game.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

so there are sexy armors?

Romo.3709

Definition of too sexy to one person might be a bikini when to another showing a shoulder is too sexy.

sorudo.9054

Definition of too sexy to one person might be a bikini when to another showing a shoulder is too sexy.

….that’s not the question, i ask if there are sexy armor in this game.
this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Light_armor_03_concept_art.jpg
is not what i call sexy, that simply skimpy.
this however: http://images.doctissimo.fr/soft/1/sexy/mage-guerriere-armure/photo/hd/7947862794/190255611df/mage-guerriere-armure-innistrad_speculation_liliana_of_the_veil_card_version_by_steveargyle-big.jpg
is what i can call sexy, even seductive in a way.

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

this however: http://images.doctissimo.fr/soft/1/sexy/mage-guerriere-armure/photo/hd/7947862794/190255611df/mage-guerriere-armure-innistrad_speculation_liliana_of_the_veil_card_version_by_steveargyle-big.jpg

Whispers light might be the armor for you.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Romo.3709

Each and every one of us has a different definition of what “sexy” is. It’s the same as a difference in opinion about word “beautiful”. It’s impossible to please everyone with a set standard.

sorudo.9054

Each and every one of us has a different definition of what “sexy” is. It’s the same as a difference in opinion about word “beautiful”. It’s impossible to please everyone with a set standard.

dunno about you but yah got to be quite pathetic to find even one armor in this game sexy, even the noble town clothing has at least 1 sexy armor and players can’t even wear it. (despite the outcry of so many threats.)

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Whispers light armor is Liliana all the way. I’ll say it again. Whispers light armor !

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Non-sexy medium armor…. um… all of them, except maybe the cultural stuff.

That sounds flip, but really I don’t see the problem in the medium category. It’s all trenchcoats and hats.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Romo.3709

dunno about you but yah got to be quite pathetic to find even one armor in this game sexy, even the noble town clothing has at least 1 sexy armor and players can’t even wear it. (despite the outcry of so many threats.)

Hahaha. Not to mention all the people calling them too sexy.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

The moment Anet tries to make an outfit even moderately sexy the forums rage about it for a week.

Romo.3709

The moment Anet tries to make an outfit even moderately sexy the forums rage about it for a week.

Which is just plain sad. Especially when we look at all other games.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Examples of “too sexy” medium armor

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Heh, I’m in the opposite situation to the OP. After the generally unflattering trenchcoats that Medium armor keeps throwing at my Ranger, I’m glad that the Norn Cultural armors at least have some variation and skin.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Look for human T1 armor if you want a non sexy medium armor. Bonus point for not having a butt cape.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I applaud GW2 for being better than most games out there in terms of offering non-sex object armors for female characters, but I would definitely like to see more.

My female norn ranger is using a combination of the WvW chest, Duelist pants/boots, Leather gloves, and Rawhide shoulders, which I’m pretty happy with. I’d post a pic, but I’m at work and don’t have access to the game.

I would have to agree. Honestly, every other game is full of innuendos and armor that looks like it was bought from the local Adult Shop.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I would like more revealing armor but the GW2 community cries so much about that at such a level that I have never seen before. That is too bad

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Honestly, I don’t want more revealing. I want more shapely. I don’t need to flash any skin, so much as present a nice silhouette – something the game’s trench-coat fetish pretty much destroys. In fact my favorite Photoshop tinkering with armor appearance shows far less skin than the base it was built from~

Attachments:

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

My female engineer Hagrida Blane is a battle hardened kitten. She’d laugh at the female norn upper tier armor with its pansy bras and stockings and what not.

I want to buy her some cultural armor, but all of them look so….eeewww….sexy! I mean, what of the rugged, battered, beer drinking, scarred, one-eyed veterans that many women warriors will obviously be?

I can’t bring myself to clothe Hagrida in such flimsy pathetic outfits. I’ve managed to find her a solid coat as shown in the attached picture, but I badly want some more “non sexy” female norn/human armor.

Come on Anet. Not all of us want to play sexed up huge bosomed female toons with flawless skin, pouty looks and thick wavy hair. Here’s Hagrida in her starter armor: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/93924/Engineer_2.png

I’d hit that…

Wait… OP you’re saying your character is trying NOT to look sexy?

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Lore-wise skimpier armor makes a lot of sense for Norn (both genders). They have higher body temperatures and get grossly overheated in massive amounts of clothing, even in freezing external temperatures. Males have greater surface area for cooling, so they can get away with slightly more armor, but females having lower surface area actually vastly prefer less clothing to keep themselves an appropriate temperature.

Minor nitpick, but this wouldn’t be true. The rate at which any body cools off has to deal with the proportion of surface area to volume. In general, the larger any object becomes, the longer it takes to cool off, since volume tends to increase at a cubic rate, but surface area increases at a quadratic rate. Larger volumes give more space for heat to wander about before leaving a body, and larger surface areas gives larger space for heat to enter or leave a body.

That stereotypical joke about women always being cold? There’s truth to that: women have a higher surface area to volume ratio than men do, both because they are smaller overall and also because they are more slender for their height. So, in a more realistic setting, it is the men who have to reveal more skin.

However I digress: I do find the armor choices in GW2 to be quite a bit more conservative than other games I’ve played. It isn’t quite on the level as something like Dark Souls, where the male/female armors are literally identical, but if one chooses to seek out an armor set that looks practical, they have many options to choose from.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: yksdoris.2194

yksdoris.2194

Honestly, I don’t want more revealing. I want more shapely. I don’t need to flash any skin, so much as present a nice silhouette – something the game’s trench-coat fetish pretty much destroys. In fact my favorite Photoshop tinkering with armor appearance shows far less skin than the base it was built from~

this! Also for men: what is it with the trench coats and pirate hats? I’d love to see a fighter-pilot look for an Engineer or something like a Frontier Trapper, with lush fur trimmings for a Ranger

#ELEtism
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Unless you find trenchcoats sexy then 99% of medium armour is non sexy.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Examples of “too sexy” medium armor

I don’t see any shoulders.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

this! Also for men: what is it with the trench coats and pirate hats? I’d love to see a fighter-pilot look for an Engineer or something like a Frontier Trapper, with lush fur trimmings for a Ranger

Didn’t one of the gem store armors have a steampunk pilots cap? Or was that the light armor?

Romo.3709

I want to see more revealing armor, because every “revealing armor” has a trench coat thing behind it. Players been complaining about trench coats for months. It’s not “our” fetish, it’s the dev’s. If you want less revealing I’d go heavy armor instead. Barely any revealing ones, except for like 3? Out of 40-50 of them.

Plus I just went through all medium armors:
http://argos-soft.net/GW2/ArmorGallery/index.php?lang=en&color=10&sex=1&race=2&w=2
All I see out of all of these is 2, maybe 3 that would be even close to being named “revealing” out of 40+ armors available. What are we even talking about here? 90% of them are completely covered.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Life could be worse. You could play a Norn light armor profession, and then all of your cultural armor is Shaman (fugly!!!!) style.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Romo.3709

Life could be worse. You could play a Norn light armor profession, and then all of your cultural armor is Shaman (fugly!!!!) style.

That is your personal opinion.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I love the CoE chest piece for females. You get some shoulder exposure for possible tattoo showing off. But it doesn’t highlight your chest endowment. Try that out.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Vicieux Rose.5910

Vicieux Rose.5910

But medium armor has a multitude of unsexy armors. I don’t play my engineer anymore since I hate the buttcapes.

Posted by: Tzarakiel.7490

Tzarakiel.7490

I like trenchcoats a lot, but a lot of trenchcoats should not mean only trenchcoats. Something entirely different but still medium armor would be a good thing.

“I’m more insulted by his lack of imagination.”

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

If anything there isn’t enough sexy medium armor choices! Seriously, it’s either you pony up the gold for a cultural set or you have to live with normal practical armor that actually makes sense :P

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Minor nitpick, but this wouldn’t be true. The rate at which any body cools off has to deal with the proportion of surface area to volume. In general, the larger any object becomes, the longer it takes to cool off, since volume tends to increase at a cubic rate, but surface area increases at a quadratic rate. Larger volumes give more space for heat to wander about before leaving a body, and larger surface areas gives larger space for heat to enter or leave a body.

That stereotypical joke about women always being cold? There’s truth to that: women have a higher surface area to volume ratio than men do, both because they are smaller overall and also because they are more slender for their height. So, in a more realistic setting, it is the men who have to reveal more skin.

Sorry, I was assuming essentially equal volume (possible when comparing certain Norn male/female body shapes), which would mean that the body with greater surface area cools the quickest as you noted. I should have clarified. Norn are weird, though, and completely break typical surface area tendencies of real-life humans. Even among the male figures, there is such a variety it’s tough to draw any completely accurate conclusions.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

-applauds-