Not Enough Tyria Mastery Points Sources

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ianxml.5896

ianxml.5896

I am having problems earning Tyrian Mastery points and I am sitting on maxed sliders for all Legendary Crafting 4 and Fractal Attunement 2. I have completed all the Pact Commander tiers.

I lost all incentive to play in Tyria.

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

Living World Season 2 helps a lot with Tyrian Mastery points, but I wouldn’t mind them adding in some “stationary” Red Mastery points you can find, like the Green ones in HoT.

ianxml.5896

Living World Season 2 helps a lot with Tyrian Mastery points, but I wouldn’t mind them adding in some “stationary” Red Mastery points you can find, like the Green ones in HoT.

Yes, there should be a lot more Red Mastery points achievements.

I tried several times to kill the triple trouble wurms but it is nearly impossible to find groups that would succeed. I am so sick of spending hours on this event and failing in the end.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

With triple trouble it’s best to find when guilds like EVOS or TTS have scheduled times to fight it and join in on their kills, because that boss fight is not puggable.

Even without getting the five points from Triple Trouble, there’s still 12 other points you can get. I wouldn’t mind more, but honestly I don’t understand why people find this an issue – especially if they own Season 2.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Dyroth.5063

Dyroth.5063

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

A lot aren’t easy but I would hardly say most the Tyria mastery points are necessary. Even without the living story achievements there is 50 points and you need 49 to max out. The living story season 2 adds 16 more available points.

As for triple trouble, TTS on the NA servers does it every day a bit after server reset and later at night closer to about 10 pm est.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yes, a lot are tied up in the personal stories, LW2, Dry Top and Silverwaste collections. I’m at a point where every track is waiting for points that will take me months even to get. 2000 gold for all the culture outfits? A near impossible JP? Teq and the TTW?

Yeah, not fun nor easy to obtain. Certainly not as easy as some in HoT.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

I concur. MP in Tyria isn’t fun nor easy. It is in fact poorly implemented. It would have been far better to have said masteries tied to XP progression but let’s be honest, ANet won’t do anything about it no matter what.

(edited by Noa.7490)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yes, a lot are tied up in the personal stories, LW2, Dry Top and Silverwaste collections. I’m at a point where every track is waiting for points that will take me months even to get. 2000 gold for all the culture outfits? A near impossible JP? Teq and the TTW?

For culture outfits, you only need a set of each tier for each race. You don’t need to buy every one of them.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Well if you need help through jumping puzzles, its not that hard to find a portal from a Mesmer. Add me and I’ll happily take you through the one Tyrian Jumping Puzzle that gives mastery point, "Hidden Garden."

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

You can have all TT mastery points within in 3-4 runs if you join one of the organized groups with voice communication for it. If you do, those mastery points will be easier to get and faster to get than most other mastery points.

ianxml.5896

Well if you need help through jumping puzzles, its not that hard to find a portal from a Mesmer. Add me and I’ll happily take you through the one Tyrian Jumping Puzzle that gives mastery point, “Hidden Garden.”

Thanks.

I will try to install voice comms software and look for these guilds for TT.

Maybe that is just me but I feel that things that are not puggable shouldn’t be holding on to 5 mastery points, seriously. Leveling up mastery in Tyria is not suppose to be painful, this is suppose to be a fun game. Something has gone very wrong with their design if it is this painful.

(edited by ianxml.5896)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I got HoT mid January. I guess I played a lot before I stopped about a year ago as I’m only 1 point short for finishing Tyria mastery. I have basically all of the Living Story to do for them, just been super lazy with other things. Tyria points don’t seem to really be a problem. You get enough in fractals for fractals. So it’s only the other 2 you have to worry about.

I find the HoT ones “harder” because I can’t do most of the adventures due to my hand not working well, so I’ve had to go slower on those.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

For culture outfits, you only need a set of each tier for each race. You don’t need to buy every one of them.

and you can sell them back to the vendor and make a good bit of your gold back.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

Well if you need help through jumping puzzles, its not that hard to find a portal from a Mesmer. Add me and I’ll happily take you through the one Tyrian Jumping Puzzle that gives mastery point, “Hidden Garden.”

Not so Secret is a pain and it holds my Diving mastery point hostage, not happy with that one at all.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Not so Secret is a pain and it holds my Diving mastery point hostage, not happy with that one at all.

It’s one of those ones where it’s easiest to have two Mesmers chain porting people to the top. That way they can try at least every minute or so.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

I do not have the mastery points to train Fractals masteries but this is not a problem for me as Fractals are not an area I choose to play.

That said, if you can believe the reasons people gave as they left the game;

Being forced/funneled into certain playstyles was a big part in them leaving.

I am only one player, we still have 6-10 active guild members out of what was once 50-100 ish actives. We may have kept a few more online with a bit more variety of playstyle choice.

I vote for more options , even if they are simply communes added into hard to reach places.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

(edited by elkirin.8534)

ianxml.5896

I got HoT mid January. I guess I played a lot before I stopped about a year ago as I’m only 1 point short for finishing Tyria mastery. I have basically all of the Living Story to do for them, just been super lazy with other things. Tyria points don’t seem to really be a problem. You get enough in fractals for fractals. So it’s only the other 2 you have to worry about.

I find the HoT ones “harder” because I can’t do most of the adventures due to my hand not working well, so I’ve had to go slower on those.

Sure, if you are a fractal person but I am only Fractal level 0. Shows how much Fractals I love to play.

As for the Living Story, I have cleared all of them but without the extra achievements since I hate repeating stuff.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m slowly doing all the LS2 achievements but it certainly isn’t fun for two simple reasons:

1. The cutscenes – every time we restart a stage (and often you’ll have to do a particular stage multiple times to get all the achievements because some will be mutually exclusive) we are forced to watch the same cutscenes. It’s tedious. Especially when one little mistake can forfeit the achievement and force you to do the stage again.

2. There’s no restart stage option – when you die there’s the option to I) return to checkpoint OR ii) exit. It would be helpful to be able to have the option to restart the entire stage (without having to watch the opening cutscene again) rather than having to exit, enter again, watch the cutscenes, etc. It would also be great if there was a way to bring up the return to checkpoint/restart stage/exit options inside the stage. They only come up when you die, so if you stuff up an achievement you have to let yourself die to start again. So tedious.

And, yes, I agree that there should be other sources for central tyrian mastery points. The silverwastes achievements and even TT are more enjoyable to do for points than LS2, at least for me. I’d rather work towards them in the open world with other people instead of being stuck in an instance by myself repeating the same tired story like some kind of hellish groundhog day.

Deedrick.4372

The googles are a pain. You need to get up there for the Bolt collection as well. I am not sure why Anet forces people into that one for so many things. I am always willing to help portal people up unless im in a fractals or some such thing. I tend to try and help lot of people get through there.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

WAYYYYY too many story ones. How can something so boring and banal as story mode award so many points while exploring 100% of the map yields one lousy point? (Referring more to the personal story; LS was better)

Personally, I thought strongboxes were great. More things like Lion’s Arch Exterminator would be good too.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

Thanks.

You don’t even need to do that. I got all my TT achieves and MPs with a ‘pug’ group of NA regulars who don’t use voice com. They advertise as ‘Post Reset’ (best to look for taxis around 30 mins after reset) and the last time they failed, it was due to a bugged wurm (which we now know how to handle). Other than that, it’s been a triple decap every night.

I might also be a bit ticked off with TTS advertising their runs in our maps but that’s besides the point. The point is that there’s a good degree of organisation with TT, even if you can’t get in a run with one of the dedicated guilds.

I agree that there’s much less choice when it comes to Tyrian MPs and I deeply sympathise. I did the SW JP the other day with a video guide to help me get through. What I’ll say is it’s easier than I thought and I was able to skip a few parts due to gliding – also meant I didn’t have to worry about plummeting to my death quite so much. I now only need 3 MPs which I’ll most likely pick up from easier LS2 achieves.

As for fractal achieves, I know my guild helped me (and others) to get a lot of mine as well as learning fractals in general. I’m sure other guilds out there will help in a similar manner as there’s quite a lot of newer/returning players since f2p/HoT that want to do that content. Heck, my guild’s even started doing a dungeon night on Weds for those who need tokens/achieves/the MP from doing all story modes.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Which is the near impossible JP?

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I have stopped caring about the Tyrian mastery points. I managed to get the auto loot pick up and that was the most important one for me. I don’t do fractals or dungeons so that limits me quite a bit to gaining more points. There is not much more I have available that is achievable for me. Bah humbug.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Central Tyria

the whole continent is Tyria

but nah it’s fine imo. Just do achievements
I’d be no good if you could max out without even trying!

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Easy points:
8 personal story
8 completing LS 2 story (not the achievements)
2 Tequalt
1 Karka Queen
1 LA exterminator
1 Dry Top skritt queen
1 for first character reaching lvl 80

That’s 22 points without doing fractals, dungeons, JPs, LS achievements, difficult bosses or rare spawns. And that’s easily enough to max out Pact Commander (19 needed).

As for Fractal Attunement, it pays for itself in terms on MP’s…11 needed, 14 available. Most of the time I get these by accident, asking the group if we could work towards it, or creating a LFG stating it was a MP run. But if you don’t do fractals, this line is useless to you and you can ignore it.

Legendary crafting is a funny one… to craft a precursor, you will need to do lots of different content (Fractals, JPs, specific champs/events, specific achievements, mini dungeons, max level crafting) If you think getting the MPs required to max this mastery out is too much, precursor crafting is more of the same but arguably much harder and definitely more expensive. As someone who has crafted Dusk, I can guarantee the MP requirement is only a mild obstacle in the grand scheme of precursor crafting. If this crafting process doesn’t appeal to you, you can ignore this mastery line too.

TLDR:
Core Tyria masteries ARE tuned to your gameplay preferences:
Pact Commander for everyone: enough easy MPs
Fractal Attunement for the fractal runners: enough MPs in fractals
Legendary Crafting: crafting process requires you to do lots of different and sometimes annoying/difficult content, thus reflected in the remaining MPs coming from all sorts of content (some of which are annoying/difficult)

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Deedrick.4372

Nice, this sums it up rather well...

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The 8 for living story is doing all the achievements for each chapter. Some of which you can’t get unless you redo that chapter from scratch if you weren’t aware of them when you did the chapter initially.

I can’t get anybody to do the Skritt Queen, everyone who shows up just want the rich quartz node. Plus it’s only open 10 minutes every hour.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

The 8 for living story is doing all the achievements for each chapter. Some of which you can’t get unless you redo that chapter from scratch if you weren’t aware of them when you did the chapter initially.

I can’t get anybody to do the Skritt Queen, everyone who shows up just want the rich quartz node. Plus it’s only open 10 minutes every hour.

Theres 8 for just completing the chapters then another 8 for doing all the achievements for each chapter.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Also, some of the LS2 achievements are mutually exclusive so multiple repeats are required, and you can’t skip the tedious cutscenes.

onevstheworld.2419

Just as a heads-up as to the things you will look forwards to when you finish the Legendary Crafting mastery line, I’ll use the collections you need to craft Dusk as an example. Keep in mind this does not include any of the in-between steps, which generally are crafting items which suck even more mats out of you.

Twilight I:
3 fractals
1 jumping puzzle
7 world events/bosses
Plus a few other random locations.

Twilight II:
Tons and tons and tons of crafting
Currencies or mats from SW, DT, Southsun, Orr and fractals (some can be purchased)

Twilight III:
5 fractals
6 jumping puzzles
4 mini dungeons
2 world bosses
SW breech event several times
Plus several other misc places or events

So yeah… unless Anet makes drastic changes; If you can’t stomach the effort to get your MPs for Legendary Crafting, you certainly can’t stomach the effort of precursor crafting.

onevstheworld.2419

Also, some of the LS2 achievements are mutually exclusive so multiple repeats are required, and you can’t skip the tedious cutscenes.

Like OtterPaws said… 8 for the story itself without trying for achievements, you should note my initial post excluded the LS achievement MPs from the total.

OK, so remove skritt queen… 21 MPs. In fact, remove 1 Tequatl MP cos it’s challenging to get sucked into the vortex… 20 MPs. Still enough for Pact Commander. You can probably get 2-3 of the SW legendary mobs achievement quite easily too if you spend plenty of time in SW. TBH who hasn’t? :P

My point still stands: Pact Commander and Fractal Attunement are balanced for their respective content. Legendary Crafting is balanced around the fact that precursor crafting itself requires you to do a whole lot of content you may not be comfortable with, all across the whole game.

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

Why couldn’t they just make Core Masteries just like HoT? Or even just tie progression to XP’s???

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Easy points:
8 personal story
8 completing LS 2 story (not the achievements)
2 Tequalt
1 Karka Queen
1 LA exterminator
1 Dry Top skritt queen
1 for first character reaching lvl 80

That’s 22 points without doing fractals, dungeons, JPs, LS achievements, difficult bosses or rare spawns. And that’s easily enough to max out Pact Commander (19 needed).

As for Fractal Attunement, it pays for itself in terms on MP’s…11 needed, 14 available. Most of the time I get these by accident, asking the group if we could work towards it, or creating a LFG stating it was a MP run. But if you don’t do fractals, this line is useless to you and you can ignore it.

Legendary crafting is a funny one… to craft a precursor, you will need to do lots of different content (Fractals, JPs, specific champs/events, specific achievements, mini dungeons, max level crafting) If you think getting the MPs required to max this mastery out is too much, precursor crafting is more of the same but arguably much harder and definitely more expensive. As someone who has crafted Dusk, I can guarantee the MP requirement is only a mild obstacle in the grand scheme of precursor crafting. If this crafting process doesn’t appeal to you, you can ignore this mastery line too.

TLDR:
Core Tyria masteries ARE tuned to your gameplay preferences:
Pact Commander for everyone: enough easy MPs
Fractal Attunement for the fractal runners: enough MPs in fractals
Legendary Crafting: crafting process requires you to do lots of different and sometimes annoying/difficult content, thus reflected in the remaining MPs coming from all sorts of content (some of which are annoying/difficult)

This is a brilliant post. I hadn’t really thought about it this deeply before, but you’re absolutely right.

onevstheworld.2419

Thanks Vayne… it struck me as I was swearing to myself when I reached the halfway point of Dusk and realized how much more time and gold it would cost me.

onevstheworld.2419

Why couldn’t they just make Core Masteries just like HoT? Or even just tie progression to XP’s???

That’s an interesting question Nao.

Look at how the HoT masteries are arranged. Each track is thematically linked to each of HoTs major races… with the exception of gliding (I’m leaving out Forsaken Thicket cos I don’t have enough experience in raids to comment). This is likely to mesh it with the HoT storyline in a more coherent manner. Unfortunately by including the “racial” theme, it breaks the “gameplay” theme. For example, they could have made one track just to learn the languages instead of splitting them up into 3 different tracks.

Also many essential aspects of HoT are gated behind masteries (e.g. vendors, areas requiring gliding/mushrooms/exalted rune, access to story). You can’t say Tyrian masteries lock out essential content… you can still do fractals without it’s mastery track. Legendary crafting, particular HoT legendaries are locked without the mastery, but noone can argue legendaries are essential.

Thus because they didn’t separate out the tracks based on gameplay, and content is locked behind particular masteries; in HoT ALL tracks must have SOME progress in order to have an acceptable experience. Notice this is different from core Tyria where ONLY the tracks that interest you need to be FULLY unlocked.

So because Anet cannot concentrate MPs based on gameplay styles, they have had to be more liberal with the MPs… hence many more easy MPs where you stumble on a location and press “F”.

onevstheworld.2419

As for the progression to XP’s part of your question: Anet probably wanted a more interesting progression system that did not segment the player base. The last thing they want is non-HoT players not being able to play with the HoT players because they have a level cap that is 10 higher.

Plus, XP has been done to death since the birth of the pen and paper RPG, it’s nice to have a different way of approaching progression.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m going to refer to onevstheworld.2419’s post in the future when people are discussing this; it’s one of the best analyses I’ve seen here on any topic. My tl;dr from it is:

Core Masteries align really well with one’s preferred content.

• Fractal Mastery requires 11; Fractals offer 14.
  • Pact Mastery requires 19; 20 are available without doing any ‘advanced achievements’ (8/p-story, 8/LS2-no-chieves, 2/Teq, 1/K-Queen, 1/Princess, 1/Dry Top, 1/first-L80).
  • Legendary crafting requires doing a bit of everything (including fractals, jumping, tough bosses) and so the required points and masteries themselves can be found all over the game.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

644g for the culture outfits. See the wiki for details.

onevstheworld.2419

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Another interesting discussion is to reverse Nao’s question: “Why couldn’t they make HoT masteries just like Core?”
Imagine reversing the MP acquisition methods of the two regions. My opinion is that it would make Tyrian masteries trivially easy, and make HoT masteries unnecessarily difficult.

Which brings me to my next point… I think the Anet designers did put a fair amount of thought into the mastery system, at least in terms of MP acquisition. A braindead designer would just use the same acquisition method for both regions. At least it shows that they are trying to get the game into a difficulty sweet spot… not too hot and not too cold. Remember, making GW2 into “Press F Simulator 2016” is just as damaging to player interest/morale as “Dark Souls: Tyria Edition”.

If there are any devs able to comment, I’d love to hear their thoughts regarding the discussion we’ve been having hint hint

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Thanks.

You don’t even need to do that. I got all my TT achieves and MPs with a ‘pug’ group of
I might also be a bit ticked off with TTS advertising their runs in our maps but that’s besides the point. The point is that there’s a good degree of organisation with TT, even if you can’t get in a run with one of the dedicated guilds.
….

AFAIK we’re told by the leaders in TTS to not advertise on certain maps, as long as we know those are organized (like EVOS’ and ATT. iirc EVOS usually tells us the ip they’re using, so we’re told to leave that map so they can get more of their people in). Also I believe they tell us not to advertise on maps with commander tags up too. As long as the maps don’t meet either of those requirements, we like to advertise so we can get other people who aren’t TTS their wurm kills. We may have an occasional person who doesn’t follow the TTS leaders instruction though, which may be the ones that you’re seeing.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Sphinx.8014

Sphinx.8014

~snip~

1. The game does prompt you to confirm that you really want to spend those points. If you don’t pay attention that’s actually your fault, not Anet’s.

2. If you made a mistake, Anet support will help you fix the problem. However, and from what I can tell from the tone of your recent posts, this might be important for you, if you are rude, lie about what happened or blame Anet for things that were clearly your mistakes, they will react like most people do when you are rude to them – they won’t bother helping you.

So in the future, if you continue to play (if not, can I have your stuff?), just file a ticket explaining in a friendly tone what happened and you will be helped quickly and completely. The Anet support is great – if you are nice.

Posted by: Ariachi.8096

Ariachi.8096

Near impossible jumping puzzle?! Are you high?

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

I have completed Nevermore, so have all of the masteries maxed out. Luckily I did a large part of this before HoT appeared.

Having Points locked by living story events is a problem as not everyone has access to those, you have to pay for them. They are not expensive but considering the price of the expansion it’s pay more.

Then, unless you intend to make a legendary this line is useless to you. A good way of saving points is to fill this one up last.

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

I wouldn’t say there aren’t enough, rather that the ones in the game now are tied to some rather annoying achievements.

Mastery in HoT can be had in multiple ways, from simply doing the story, to doing metas, to just flat out finding them out in the open world.
All the Tyria ones are tied to achievements only. I imagine very few people will maximize more than one track due to this.