Not going to buy outfits that make you bald

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Tired of all the baldness. I’ll take preset hair like what the dwayna outfit did, anyday.
Anet, we do not like baldness. Yes, we can just take the hats off but what about when you release a hat item that makes you bald? It’s a great hat & I’d actually dish out 10-30$ for outfits/items that didn’t make you bald. There is a pirate hat that could be awesome but it makes you bald. Clearly, you are intending it for purchase. (HINT***The balding is bad.) The recent outlaw outfit is cool imo, I love the big hat but the balding is a sure turn off & therefore I won’t be purchasing it. I want to be able to wear the entire outfit & enjoy all of it without having to go “Oh no, now I’m bald.”

Ideas for premade hairstyles – male/female warrior/ladylike Braids, Buns, French-twists, Warrior-buns, pixie cuts, dreads, pony-tails, Pretty/awesome headscarves, shaggy hair… you get the idea.

Posted by: Skribble.2809

Skribble.2809

I’m bald IRL and I kind of feel like your making fun of me. There’s nothing wrong with being bald, many people like it. My characters are bald also buecause I try to make them look like me. I don’t mind the baldness, I love it. Why are you shaming people for being bald. You are basically saying bald people are ugly…

Chasind.3128

I’m bald IRL and I kind of feel like your making fun of me. There’s nothing wrong with being bald, many people like it. My characters are bald also buecause I try to make them look like me. I don’t mind the baldness, I love it. Why are you shaming people for being bald. You are basically saying bald people are ugly…

Don’t put words that aren’t there. We’re talking about outfits ina game, not people irl.

(edited by Chasind.3128)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Don’t put words that aren’t there. We’re talking about outfits ina game, not people irl.

You’re complaining about bald characters. Your issue could be restated as “don’t hide my character’s hair”, which would come across as different. The respondent might be overreacting… but the words you chose opened your statement up to misunderstand.

Regardless, ANet isn’t hiding character hair because they want to. There’s a technical reason for it. The very things you love about hair in this game (colors and animations and textures) conflict with how headgear works (including that on outfits).

To remove the conflict would require writing new code that allows that to happen, retrofitting every existing hairstyle & headgear to make it work with the new code (whether it is actually changed or not), and doing more QA on future designs. That would be expensive enough to reduce the number of new skins we see, including outfits, armor, and hair.

For better or worse, the developers decided to keep the status quo (hiding hair with most headgear) to allow them to release more skins.

That leaves us with these choices:

• Hiding headgear (can be done for outfits, too)
  • Not using (or even buying) gear (or outfits) that hide hair.
  • Embrace the hairlessness.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yeah, ArenaNets armor system for GW2 is very inflexible and has alot of weaknesses like this one. I wouldn’t mind a fix where they somehow make your choice of hair and type of helmet be a bit mixed rather than just hiding the hair and going with bald because technical reasons.

I think OP is onto something when he says to make the helmets have hair included rather than standardly forcing all characters to be bald.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think OP is onto something when he says to make the helmets have hair included rather than standardly forcing all characters to be bald.

As long as you accept that the hair would be specific to the headgear and not your character’s customized hair. It would also have far less animation, less texture, and use one of the four dye channels from the armor. That ‘missing link’ is what allows ANet to release more skins (gear + styles) more often.

In other words, that suggestion doesn’t address the root technical issue.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

You’re complaining about bald characters. Your issue could be restated as “don’t hide my character’s hair”, which would come across as different. The respondent might be overreacting… but the words you chose opened your statement up to misunderstand.

Regardless, ANet isn’t hiding character hair because they want to. There’s a technical reason for it. The very things you love about hair in this game (colors and animations and textures) conflict with how headgear works (including that on outfits).

To remove the conflict would require writing new code that allows that to happen, retrofitting every existing hairstyle & headgear to make it work with the new code (whether it is actually changed or not), and doing more QA on future designs. That would be expensive enough to reduce the number of new skins we see, including outfits, armor, and hair.

For better or worse, the developers decided to keep the status quo (hiding hair with most headgear) to allow them to release more skins.

There are MMOs from 10+years ago that have no problem pulling this off. The solution, is to create a preset “hair” mesh that is technically part of the hat skin. Then give it a hidden dye channel that is set to match the player’s hair color.

Of course, that may restrict all headgear in the game to 3 available dye channels, unless it’s possible to add a 5th hidden channel without breaking something.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

it wasn’t always like this T-T

before the first halloween patch, there used to be a ‘hair’ texture painted on the scalp. nothing fancy, but it looked ok (on humans).

after…. well, we all know what happened after.

it translates to: it looked odd on other races (especially asura), so everyone is just gonna have to be bold

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

(edited by nottsgman.8206)

Posted by: daw.4923

daw.4923

i love how all ppl thinks,that making hair actualy visible has to be IN SOME CODING
a/ if they know they dont have time to fix the hair,dont make hat
b/if you know that you have 99% chars in game with hairs,dont make coat which will 100% clip thru them
c/dont make more coats.
d/i didnt seen single preaty bald woman,send pictures pls.

Chasind.3128

it wasn’t always like this T-T

before the first halloween patch, there used to be a ‘hair’ texture painted on the scalp. nothing fancy, but it looked ok (on humans).

after…. well, we all know what happened after.

it translates to: it looked odd on other races (especially asura), so everyone is just gonna have to be bold

Yeah, I remember. :/

Chasind.3128

i love how all ppl thinks,that making hair actualy visible has to be IN SOME CODING
a/ if they know they dont have time to fix the hair,dont make hat
b/if you know that you have 99% chars in game with hairs,dont make coat which will 100% clip thru them
c/dont make more coats.
d/i didnt seen single preaty bald woman,send pictures pls.

I’m sure there are beautiful bald women; heck, I bet I’d look good bald! My boyfriend & I even joke about it but I don’t want to have to miss out on a full outfit just because it gives bald hair. I could buy the outfit, but if it gives balding, I don’t want to only wear 90% of the outfit. That’s just me though.

I think for future reference, hat items/outfits should come with preset hair.

Chasind.3128

I do come off complainy don’t I? There was a better way to put it, but the frustration of falling inlove with certain items/outfits only to realize it makes you bald. Do I want it to display my character’s hair? Not necessarily; I’d be okay with it showing a preset hair. One for female/male humans, norn, asura, charr etc.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

As long as you accept that the hair would be specific to the headgear and not your character’s customized hair. It would also have far less animation, less texture, and use one of the four dye channels from the armor. That ‘missing link’ is what allows ANet to release more skins (gear + styles) more often.

Yeah it would be patchwork. But I’m sure its an alternative designers can pick. Not meanin that all headgear needs it either.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Never noticed this before, but now that you mention it… it’s actually really amusing. I suppose that’s why I always hide head gear subconsciously, cuz i actually want to see my toon’s hair

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I love how people try to defend ArenaNet and find excuses for the issue. I strongly believe that ArenaNet is just as unhappy about the situation as the OP and many many other players. It’s just ridiculous that in a game that puts so much effort into making your character look awesome, hats make your hair vanish.

I love how ArenaNet handles character aesthetics and I’m pretty sure many people come to this game because of that.

The baldness-issue must be a huge PITA for the designers because they didn’t find a solution yet that can be implemented easily and feasibly.

The flaw is so obvious that I actually laughed when I read the thread. This is like Apple putting the USB jack at the bottom of their mouse. You would expect that from a company that doesn’t give a kitten about design, not from Apple. And you don’t expect this from GW2 either.

That sounds like there is only one solution for the problem, and it has flaws itself. I’m not a game designer or coder, but I’m pretty sure if those super creative people put their minds to it, they could come up with more elegant solutions.

tl;dr: Hats making you bold or hiding your hair is a major flaw and simply leads to most people hiding them. I hope ArenaNet is working on it and will find an elegant solution.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Faaris.8013)

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

im bald and this triggers me

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

im bald and this triggers me

You are probably a beautiful young, bald, lady. My human female thief is not as blessed though, baldness doesn’t fit her. And she cannot grow a beard to keep eyes away from her head.

Just like most men don’t look as good as Micheal Jordan without hair.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia