Nothing to aim for. Nothing to do.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

yeah.. respect bro. im casual too… im only level 32.
i just like to elaborate about endgame content for the
fascinating hardcore fans.
i didnt mean “casual disrespect” at all. im sorry if it
came out like that.

Fair enough. Text doesn’t always convey intention and yeah, what Yak said…I post from work so I sometimes shoot from the hip because I’m in between tasks :p

Posted by: bluebacker.8679

bluebacker.8679

You said it yourself; over 250 hours put in. You got your $60 worth. You plowed through way faster than most players and put in what is easily a very unhealthy amount of time. And no, 6 hours a day is not “comparatively short to the average MMO player”. That’s pretty much no social life status if you have a job. You know what else it is? A lie. The game release 26 days ago if you count the headstart, and you’ve played for over 250 hours. That calculates to between 9 and 10 hours per day.

Content isn’t limitless. ANet’s going to make more though. For now, I guess, shelf the game and wait. I know it might be hard; you’ve played the game for at least 9 hours a day on average, after all, but I’m sure that you’ll find something to do with your time while you wait for ArenaNet to give you more content to speed through five times faster than most people.

This is the answer. If you don’t want to Wv3 or SPvP or level an alt or work on getting all crafting to 400 or run all the dungeons on explorable mode thorough all three paths each or run back through the zones to experience the dynamic events you inevitably missed or work on crafting a legendary item then yeah, you’re done until an expansion / content update comes out.

Good news for you is that you’re not paying a monthly fee while waiting.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

I am blown away by this topic. Since the early 90’s on BBS forums, have I never seen a post as moronic as this one.

In a day and age when you buy a $60 console game that you can beat in 10 hours you are actually complaining that you blew through a game with a whopping 250 hours in three weeks (more content than the content-rick Skyrim) and you are complaining???

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

Haasth already gave you your best answer Knuckle. If you can’t enjoy the game in a way that doesn’t involve some ludicrous ambition, it looks like you’re done. Congrats.

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

And before anyone else says this: I did not sped through content or rushed it in any ways. I played about 6 hours daily which I think is comparatively short to the average MMO player.

Thoughts? Insights? Suggestions? I am all ears…

Cheers,
Knuckle

Well, being someone with a family and 50-60 per hour a week job, 6 hours a day is a ton. Especially considering alot of people make a living working 8 hours a day, 5 days per week. Maybe you’re just plain old burnt out dude. I know it seems like a tired response, but it really does carry a fair amount of merit. Consider WvW, there are loads of people who do nothing but that, and love it. Because the pretense of WvW isn’t scripted, you get a different encounter on sometimes an hourly basis. It has the potential to extend endgame infinitely. Get a small 8-10 man group together and go zerg bust/roam the lakes…you don’t have to play in accordance with the zerg, you cn play in spite of it.

TL;DR I think ultimately you’re either burnt out OR, the endgame content in this game is not the type of endgame YOU prefer.

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

Posted by: shogun.5328

shogun.5328

Why does there have to be something to aim for? What is there to aim for in a single player game? Or any game for that matter?

HINT: If it doesn’t rhyme with “fun” then the game is over for you.

crewthief.8649

I am blown away by this topic. Since the early 90’s on BBS forums, have I never seen a post as moronic as this one.

In a day and age when you buy a $60 console game that you can beat in 10 hours you are actually complaining that you blew through a game with a whopping 250 hours in three weeks (more content than the content-rick Skyrim) and you are complaining???

I’m not sure what the problem is, he didn’t set the price. The fact that a console game is $60 and only provides 10 hours of entertainment is the issue. A-Net is marketing this game as an MMO, with that comes some expectations, MMOs are meant to provide more then 250 hours worth of entertainment, especially if there is a cash shop and the developer wants you to put money into that cash shop. It is in the best interest of the developer that people find continued reasons to play.

I love how when people claim that they’re getting bored, its THEIR fault? And not the design of the game that is the reason. Not everyone will like the game, not everyone will play the game for years and years………and if they don’t, they don’t need to be told that they’re wrong for feeling that way. You cannot tell someone that how they feel is wrong, because they don’t feel the way you do.

Maybe the problem is with people making a video game some sort of second life? If your expectation from GW2 was that it would fill some void in your life, perhaps GW2 isn’t the problem.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

darkwombat.3695

I’m not sure what the problem is, he didn’t set the price. The fact that a console game is $60 and only provides 10 hours of entertainment is the issue. A-Net is marketing this game as an MMO, with that comes some expectations, MMOs are meant to provide more then 250 hours worth of entertainment, especially if there is a cash shop and the developer wants you to put money into that cash shop. It is in the best interest of the developer that people find continued reasons to play.

I love how when people claim that they’re getting bored, its THEIR fault? And not the design of the game that is the reason. Not everyone will like the game, not everyone will play the game for years and years………and if they don’t, they don’t need to be told that they’re wrong for feeling that way. You cannot tell someone that how they feel is wrong, because they don’t feel the way you do.

Using your argument he can’t tell us there is nothing left for him to do and you can’t tell me I am wrong, for feeling the way I feel!

So you think MMOs should have content that just goes on forever?

crewthief.8649

Using your argument he can’t tell us there is nothing left for him to do and you can’t tell me I am wrong, for feeling the way I feel!

I believe that’s the basic issue. Alot of MMO gamers think the game should never end. Being completely honest, it’s a very childish and unreasonable expectation.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

Posted by: FarFarAway.6579

FarFarAway.6579

Yes. If managed properly, they certainly will. I’ve played two MMOs for years each, and I know of other MMOs that have kept players around for years as well.

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Who exactly decides how much content an MMO should provide? You do realize that people had the exact same complaints about WoW endgame at launch, right?

There is far more than 250 hours worth of content, the OP just doesn’t want to pursue it. Heck, I’m willing to bet by this time next year I have far more than 250 hours played from WvW alone. What he and many other similar posters wants, is for ANet to comply with their very narrow vision of what an MMO endgame should look like.

Guess what? Lots of MMO’s have tried to comply with this narrow vision and give the WoW kiddies what they want. Where are those MMO’s now? Dead and buried or F2P. GW2 has a different vision and it just isn’t for everyone. Sorry.

Posted by: FarFarAway.6579

FarFarAway.6579

Guess what? Lots of MMO’s have tried to comply with this narrow vision and give the WoW kiddies what they want. Where are those MMO’s now? Dead and buried or F2P. GW2 has a different vision and it just isn’t for everyone. Sorry.

Like which MMO? Every single recent MMO that has come out failed on Endgame (even if there are other failures as well). Except maybe Rift. They caught on quick and cranked out content as fast as they could, and extended their life somewhat.

But for the most part, the biggest titles have flopped in the post-leveling department, and GW2 is headed swiftly down the same path.

Posted by: Gao Gao.4973

Gao Gao.4973

for me, wvw is my end game. you claim your server is completely one sided… perhaps you could join a smaller population server, and help build it up into something cool?

Baiyun – Necromancer
Member of Talons [BT]
Fort Aspenwood

crewthief.8649

Maybe the problem is with people making a video game some sort of second life? If your expectation from GW2 was that it would fill some void in your life, perhaps GW2 isn’t the problem.

How did you get that impression that he has a void in his life? Because he finds the content boring? You were able to surmise that from his post? I’ve played a tenth of what he has played and I’m getting bored. I guess I have a void in my life as well? You fanboys need to get the stick out of your kitten, he didn’t shoot your grandmother, its a game, maybe you have void in your life when you need to defend a game by insulting others that don’t share your opinion of that game.

Sorry, six hours per day, every day, for a month straight screams it. Pretty easy to interpret that to be honest. And i’ve already addressed your post in one not far down from mine that you quoted. And about the insult thing, I was in no way insulting in that post. Many, many people have that problem, and MMO gamers are no exception.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

(edited by crewthief.8649)

darkwombat.3695

Yes. If managed properly, they certainly will. I’ve played two MMOs for years each, and I know of other MMOs that have kept players around for years as well.

See this depends on many things. There are people STILL playing Ultima Online after 15 years. They still think there is content. Whether that be roleplaying or whatever they are still playing and paying. They make the most of it.

Of course MMOs have kept players around for years because of the updates and expansions. This game just came out and this guy blew through the content logging in 6 hours a day, then come son here telling us there is nothing to do.

Insanity!

crewthief.8649

GW2 is headed swiftly down the same path.

See, now this is an example of sweeping generalization sold as fact. This is your opinion. For every one of you, there are ten who disagree…

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

(edited by crewthief.8649)

Posted by: Gristlea.9563

Gristlea.9563

I think alot of people are comparing the new game releases to old games like EQ1 and UO that did have never ending content, BUT they had a billion time sinks that were really boring too.
I played EQ for 8 years and still have not seen it all. Scary isn’t it.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Are people ever going to learn? It doesn’t matter how much content a game has if they’re going to spend their time rushing through it. They haven’t done and seen everything the game has to offer, they just happened to rush through it due to a mixture of too much free time and tunnel vision.

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

Personally I’ve enjoyed my time at 80 so far by doing things for fun every now and then.

Please, how do you have fun doing something you have done 30 times while leveling and completing the map 100%?

Also, I am not and will not make a Legendary. The skins are lackluster and certainly do not worth the time spent farming upward to 5m karma depending entirely on your luck.

All the reports of mystic clover successes/failures I’ve read indicate it’s around a 1/3 chance to get a clover, which suggests that you need a total of 1 million karma for a legendary, not 5 million.

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

I think alot of people are comparing the new game releases to old games like EQ1 and UO that did have never ending content, BUT they had a billion time sinks that were really boring too.
I played EQ for 8 years and still have not seen it all. Scary isn’t it.

UO really didn’t have a lot of content originally. Brittannia itself is pretty small. The content in UO that everyone remembers was all player (sometimes GMs!) driven roleplaying, which nobody does anymore unfortunately. Games designers no longer design tools into the game to allow for player driven content.

There’s some rose coloured goggling occurring here. Also, EQ’s content was HEAVILY throttled by the fact that you needed a party for everything past level 5 onwards and you lost a kitten load of experience when you died. I’d be interested to see how fast you could power through the original EQ’s content solo if it was possible.

Posted by: Knuckledust.5621

Knuckledust.5621

Nice edit on my post title, Mr. Mod….. way to turn around the main issue here.

To all those wondering: the only reason I have spent so much time is that I got a shoulder surgery on late August, and my main occupation is playing Rugby. Since I am not allowed to do so, I am working monetizing my Blog through the computer, and thus I have it on almost 24/7. I have GW2 open at all times, which doesn’t mean I am actively playing it at all times.

Sometimes it feels like people take criticism personally here. I am simply asking for suggestions to combat the lack of incentive to play.

I played GW1 for over 6k hours on the course of 7 years. I was a youngster with no occupation and only played it, and it had incentives to keep you playing despite you getting the max gear within less than 24 hours. So no, I am not asking for a gear treadmill.

But this is a MMO and people excuses are that it shouldn’t have replayability. Hell, why don’t we implement a weekly reset on the characters then? Your argument makes no sense. And I bet most people bashing at me without even knowing my personal life have spent the same or even more time than me in the game, and just haven’t accomplished to much.

I am hoenstly disappointed with this community. I left GW2Guru because of the godawuful community which reminded me of World of Warcraft, and I see the same behavior here…. and yet people call themselves mature.

To all those who sent an adult and non-aggressive suggestions, thanks so much. I am actually playing only 1 hour/day right now to support my guild on WvW, which is entirely dominated by another server due to the awesome balance system…

Cheers,
Knuckle

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

The culture of the hardcore, results in less fun.

(Yes, if you get to max level in days/weeks, you are hardcore)

crewthief.8649

Nice edit on my post title, Mr. Mod….. way to turn around the main issue here.

To all those wondering: the only reason I have spent so much time is that I got a shoulder surgery on late August, and my main occupation is playing Rugby. Since I am not allowed to do so, I am working monetizing my Blog through the computer, and thus I have it on almost 24/7. I have GW2 open at all times, which doesn’t mean I am actively playing it at all times.

Sometimes it feels like people take criticism personally here. I am simply asking for suggestions to combat the lack of incentive to play.

I played GW1 for over 6k hours on the course of 7 years. I was a youngster with no occupation and only played it, and it had incentives to keep you playing despite you getting the max gear within less than 24 hours. So no, I am not asking for a gear treadmill.

But this is a MMO and people excuses are that it shouldn’t have replayability. Hell, why don’t we implement a weekly reset on the characters then? Your argument makes no sense. And I bet most people bashing at me without even knowing my personal life have spent the same or even more time than me in the game, and just haven’t accomplished to much.

I am hoenstly disappointed with this community. I left GW2Guru because of the godawuful community which reminded me of World of Warcraft, and I see the same behavior here…. and yet people call themselves mature.

To all those who sent an adult and non-aggressive suggestions, thanks so much. I am actually playing only 1 hour/day right now to support my guild on WvW, which is entirely dominated by another server due to the awesome balance system…

Cheers,
Knuckle

If you’re referring to my post, I honestly wasn’t trying to come off as condescending, and apologize if I did. But you must admit, 6 hours a day is quite alot. I just feel that there is something to be said for “all things in moderation” and when someone disregards that age-old adage the results are predictable.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

Sorry but i don’t understand you..
In skirim, if I complete all the main/sidequest, explore the 100% of the map and max all skills.. there is nothing much to do…
In diablo 3, if you kill Diablo in Inferno and harcode, there is no much to do…
In Wow.. if you complete all heroic dungeons/raids, explore all the map, complete de basic achievements and max crafting, there is nothing much to do.

you did the impossible in short time and now claim that you have nothing more to do? Give and example of some game that “create” infinite and fun content… that will be awesome but impossible…
Sorry but the rest of us is far far away of that goal.. Maybe whait a little?

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

The whole concept of “PvE endgame” is a big illusion.
You’re just repeating the same content over and over, either for statistical advantage or other things.

Quit dreaming of unlimited PvE content, it will never happen.
You can get all achievements, titles, medals, legendaries, etc, but just don’t expect to play 10 hours a day doing always something different.

RB said the majority of us does not rush content and they are not planning to cater to rushers.
They will release free content over time to increase PvE longevity, but still PvE has limits.

You can replay GW2 with another class just like you replay Final Fantasy with different team setups / classes, but that’s about it.

Again, unlimited new PvE endgame does not exist.

Knuckledust.5621

Good, then the Manifesto was a lie… because they clearly said GW2 would be different from other MMOs, and I believed. nice to know.

crewthief.8649

Good, then the Manifesto was a lie… because they clearly said GW2 would be different from other MMOs, and I believed. nice to know.

Well, in my experience thus far, it IS different from other MMOs…but then, I haven’t made a living playing GW2 for the past month.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

Knuckledust.5621

Well, in my experience thus far, it IS different from other MMOs…but then, I haven’t made a living playing GW2 for the past month.

Mind explaining me.. how?

crewthief.8649

Well, for one I don’t feel a huge amount of pressure to rush to ‘endgame’. You can roll a toon and be in sPvP with max level/traits and equivalent gear in about 10 minutes (how many other MMOs actually give you this freedom?). Three server, two week, territory driven PvP that rewards tactical gameplay and gives small groups (8-10 man) something to do to contribute. Multiple options when building a character (moreso than just ‘healer, tank, DPS’). Dynamic Events (I know, WAR/Rift…but they were not of this scale). Massive underwater environments (I know, some people despise the combat, but that doesn’t change the fact that no other MMO is even close to this level of underwater content). Experience rewards for wandering around and exploring. Mix of classic MMO gameplay with action game elements.

Those were just off the top of my head. I know, I know…some of these things have been done in other MMOs to one degree or another, but i’ve yet to see any MMO that does ALL of them to the level GW2 does.

< JADE QUARRY >
Hands Off My Octopus

Posted by: vann.4297

vann.4297

As an Gw1 big fan.. that played it since day 1 with all expansion packs.. i have to say im very disappointed with Gw2.. I think Arenanet sold their souls to the Console Market and created a game so friendly ,so forgiven , so simplistic that even 5 years old kids can play. If we take graphics aside and the nice open and big worlds they created. GW2 feels like 10 steps back from GW1 in many ways…

1) poor combat system. (smashing buttons with auto attacks)
2) Very Frustrating character controls with slow and unresponsive character movements.. (even if you remap strafe keys ). will not go in detail of the many issues have.. but to summarize it.. it Sucks big time specially for PVP.. instead of fighting other players.. many of my time im fighting with my own character controls.. trying to make him move the way i want.. They need to look other games with praised combat system.. ie.. (Skyrim for example.. and other online games )
3)Very limited Skills and tactics.. Anet pretty much tells you.. here are all your skills ..the first day.. and play with that until the end of game and you bored to death. Do not have the strong skills system of Gw1 and its combat tactics that you could create near unlimited unique combos and play very differently than anyone else.
4)Lack of goals.. lack of character of progression , lack of character development.
RPG games is ALL about Character development. to make your characters more powerful and unique abilities. This formula never Change including most popular Rpgs of all times.. You can create games without grind but that have lots of character development.. GW2 still falls short behind Gw1 simple combat system but that at least had Tons of combinations and tactics to explore and discover. It was a lot of fun to unlock many skills with any new zone discovered..but also capture Elite skills in GW1 also to develop your heroes.. and play with all of them.. as was very fun to invent and discover unique builds for different scenarios.Gw2 have nothing of that.
5)Poor in game camera.. collides with almost everything and unstable. and get stuck many times on tight places.
6) Every combat in GW2 is a zerg.. Events is a zerg.. Dungeons zerg.. WvW zerg.. ,Many times you find yourself just killing things but without knowing why you doing it.. other that “is fun”.
7)Last but not least…Ugly armors in game.. most are awfully bad.. If you have no incentives in games. No strong character development then you feel no reason to continue playing , no way to look awesome.. no way to be different than others , no way to become more powerful than others.. just sameness then people will get bored very fast with the game and stop playing it..

In my opinion. Gw2 have serious design issues.. They completely create a game that do not feels like an RPG but a third person shooter.. ie like earlier generation of Tomb Raiders games.. that people just kill things for the fun of it and to follow a story but that your character essentially is the same and do not get better.

(edited by vann.4297)

Posted by: Kindstrike.1962

Kindstrike.1962

You are done. And for the record, the forum community isn’t the game community. I’ve had only the best experience with others ingame. Amazing, really.
GW2 is a game played for fun. Not goals. It’s odd, I know. Hard to get used to.
Why should I continue to play? If you can’t think of a reason, you are done.
I, for one, have plenty left to do. Help friends, work on legendary’s, work on alts. Tons.

More to the point, for you, is that GW2 doesn’t offerYOU the gameplay you want. I get that. It’s cool. Time to say when.

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

As this discussion has been resolved, this thread is closed.