November Monthly on Oct. 31st?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

@Ryth: Type /wiki thingyouwanttoknow and the game will open it up (like /wiki Brown Dye).

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

Here is the funny that most of you are ignoring. IF Anet did it by server time for everyone, several things would result from it.

1. Most People would still not know how to read a dam clock and convert their time to server time and come here complaining.

2. Some people would use this as a way to take advantage of the system. As in complete their monthly, change from Euro to US, complete monthly.

This is a result of a global set up. You can play on Euro, they can play on US. For this we pay the small price of somewhat confusing times. While I do agree that there is an issue where ANET needs to just pick a zone and go with it for EVERYTHING. All the shortsighted suggestions of making this server time or local time are completely ridiculous.

Posted by: swanhaven.6720

swanhaven.6720

Again, I completely agree with the info needed part (even if it’s just a line that says “resets 5PM server time”). But I’m curious, now that you know when it resets, does it make a huge difference in when you can budget your time? I mean it resets at 12GMT every time, it’s the same amount of time anyone else has to do them. If your going to wait till the last day of the month to complete them, you may not make it, regardless what time it ends for your timezone.

I don’t know if I’ll have enough time to complete it now, even now that I know. But it’s still useful information to have.

The fact that I didn’t have it and I wasted a good chunk of my time thinking that the server followed basic timezone logic is really the problem.

swanhaven.6720

Here is the funny that most of you are ignoring. IF Anet did it by server time for everyone, several things would result from it.

1. Most People would still not know how to read a dam clock and convert their time to server time and come here complaining.

2. Some people would use this as a way to take advantage of the system. As in complete their monthly, change from Euro to US, complete monthly.

This is a result of a global set up. You can play on Euro, they can play on US. For this we pay the small price of somewhat confusing times. While I do agree that there is an issue where ANET needs to just pick a zone and go with it for EVERYTHING. All the shortsighted suggestions of making this server time or local time are completely ridiculous.

Okay then, why don’t we reset each server to have things reset according to the timezone that the majority of players on that server operate on?

If we’re going to inconvenience people, then let’s inconvenience as few people as possible.

swanhaven.6720

Again, I completely agree with the info needed part (even if it’s just a line that says “resets 5PM server time”). But I’m curious, now that you know when it resets, does it make a huge difference in when you can budget your time? I mean it resets at 12GMT every time, it’s the same amount of time anyone else has to do them. If your going to wait till the last day of the month to complete them, you may not make it, regardless what time it ends for your timezone.

I don’t know if I’ll have enough time to complete it now, even now that I know. But it’s still useful information to have.

The fact that I didn’t have it and I wasted a good chunk of my time thinking that the server followed basic timezone logic is really the problem.

You expected to do your whole monthly in 6 hours? and are pissed that those 6 hours out of the entire month were missing? Please, stop wasting space.

I was literally almost finished. I’d managed to complete everything except the salvages and thought I had until midnight at least to get it done.

Less rudeness would be nice.

Edewen.8304

Swan, because the population is fluid. Since you CAN move, it would be predictable where you can go to try and try to double up. ANET is not inconveniencing anyone. Guess what, your October ended a few hours early. Boohoo it is not like your November didn’t start. EVERY PLAYER regardless of race, religion, gender, or timezone is given the exact, and I mean EXACT, same amount of time to complete the monthly.

So let me ask, why are there no Euro players on here whining that the US got to start November early?

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

Because we had a holiday on 01.10 and everyone sleeps long?

Just trolling, sorry for that!

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

Posted by: Ryth.6518

Ryth.6518

EVERY PLAYER regardless of race, religion, gender, or timezone is given the exact, and I mean EXACT, same amount of time to complete the monthly.

And after reviewing the last monthly, this was the first normal monthly reset because last reset was a bit buggy and it wasn’t a full month.

So pardon us not having ESP and how ANET would handle this one. It’s obviously an issue otherwise there wouldn’t be posts on here, GW2Guru, Reddit and so on about how the monthly ENDED EARLY.

ANET has a problem…that the majority of the player base isn’t educated that the servers are based in GMT. The majority thought they were set to PST time for the USA players.

They need to make this apparent to the population. This IS their issue because the mechanics for time resets are not apparent in the game.

Like many people said before, take the initiative and make a timer on the achievement page for the daily and the monthly.

Less rudeness would be nice.

You’re asking a lot swan..it’s pretty apparent that these guys don’t understand common sense.

This is a lot different then the threads on how hard the clock tower is. Difficulty and not having the ability to complete something is vastly different then lots of people assuming a monthly would end at the end of the month in real time or game time based on the region…which again most thought was 11:59:59 PST Oct 31st.

You get it, I get it, lots get it, a few in here don’t.

(edited by Ryth.6518)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

EVERY PLAYER regardless of race, religion, gender, or timezone is given the exact, and I mean EXACT, same amount of time to complete the monthly.

lol hardly.

Despite what “gamers” might think, most people don’t have time to sit and play video games 6 hours a day. A lot of us have economical and social responsibilities in the real world that take priority. It’s pretty annoying to get home at 6pm thinking one had some time to polish off the last few salvages only to find that that no longer matters.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Edewen.8304

The point is, your October started at the same time as everyone else. It ended at the same time as everyone else. There is direct information on the wiki saying when these reset.
Anet has one issue, consistency. They choose different time zones for different things. But to call out that it ended EARLY and player posts about it as there being a problem is completely off. It ended precisely when they said it would in the wiki. They give the information. They are not responsible for teaching you to read it too. And to those who say you shouldn’t have to tab out for information, welcome to the world of MMOs. You have internet, use it. It is not like you a e googling, you are using an official ANET run wiki.

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I saw people complaining about in the map chat. I was too focused on the Halloween event to really focus on the monthly, so fortunately I didn’t lose out.

However, I don’t think using GW2 wiki is the appropriate place to submit such information. Instead, this should be available on the official GW2 website. I’m tired of having to get all of my information from these outside sources when things like this (which are game mechanics, not tutorials) are not available on the main website.

Either way, at least now I’m aware.

Posted by: Quassie.2059

Quassie.2059

Count me in as well by being confused by the monthly ending before the end of the month. I got burned for a gold buying items to disenchant. I don’t give a crap if they use GMT or whatever but putting it on a Wiki and expecting everyone to look for the answer is bush league.

Put a timer in the UI.

Edewen.8304

Lookit. The Wiki is not an outside site. It is Anets. They run it as in it is official. Players add content. Anet adds too. No game company has gone so far to provide information to their players. The timer on the UI i can get behind. But seriously, There is far too much information to put into the game. The wiki is the single greatest instruction manual there has ever been. Suck it BradyGames and your crap guides.

Posted by: Melana.8345

Melana.8345

The wiki is:

• Linked to in the game starter manual on the main site, and specified as the particular place to go for any information not included in the manual itself (Online manual->More Info).
  • Linked to in the Quick Reference sheet (though I will admit the /wiki command itself isn’t, but the wiki page is).
  • Linked to, and directly accessible from the game using /wiki.
  • Part of the main links at the top of the main site, the forums, the support pages, etc. Look at the top of this page!

It is the official documentation site for information about details of gameplay…and I would have thought “achievement roll-over time” to classify as a piece of “detail” information. The only way not to know that it existed is to have never read ANY of the “new player” information that was officially available – never read the manual, never looked at the quick reference card, etc – at which point putting the information elsewhere because “it should be on the main site” or whatever would have served absolutely no benefit because those players would never have looked at it anyway (as they clearly haven’t looked at what is currently there).

All that said, I’d agree a timer for how long until the daily/monthly achievements reset shown on the daily/monthly achievement page itself so people can’t miss seeing it (kind of like the length of time left for a guild buff) would be a valuable addition to the UI. If only to prevent this kind of confusion.

Despaired Ranger: Crafted The Dreamer, lost range, lost GS condi damage for synergy.
Pet AI awful. Sword root+Aussie latency unmanagable. Lost playstyle, lost legendary, given up.
Mell: 80 Asura Guardian (+7 other 80s) | Aus Serenity [AUS] | Jade Quarry

Posted by: Skolvikings.5132

Skolvikings.5132

No, everyone DID NOT get a full month to complete the October monthly achievement. One of the requirements was eating 150 candy corn, which wasn’t available until the Halloween content went live.

Just wanted to clear that up.

PS. A timer on the daily/monthly achievement page is a great idea.

Posted by: Gluebag.7845

Gluebag.7845

It resets on the first of every month in GMT time. This has happened every time since launch. These posts are annoying.

Point?

If it keeps happening, it’s prooooooooooobably something that should be fixed.

Your post about being annoyed is annoying.