Now that dyes are becoming ACCOUNT BOUND...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Now that dyes are becoming ACCOUNT BOUND, each individual character will have a bigger assortment to choose from, when the whole account is combined into one big shared stockpile.

I trust that people will quickly come to see what I have known (and asked for) all along; that viewing dyes by HUE is the most efficient way of finding the one you want in a large collection.

Right now, dyes default to sorting by “set” (common/uncommon/rare). This means practically nothing when you are trying to locate a specific color out of many hundreds. Yet every time I log on, I have to reset my default dye chart to sorting by Hue. The game does not remember my personal preference.

Please give your support to either making “Sort by Hue” the default selection, or else remembering each player’s preference.

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

lol, I had no idea you could sort dyes.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I would definitely support that

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Right clicking in the menu will favorite a dye and move those dyes into their own category. That is the best way to find your favorite dyes. Sort by hue…

Posted by: Katsuki.1674

Katsuki.1674

ya I agree that sorting by hue should be the default

(\/) This is bunny.
(=‘.’=) Put him in your signature,
(")
(") And help him conquer the world!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Some kind of color sorting should be secondary even in other sorting modes. Sorting by set (the default) just arranges colours completely at random, which is not really helpful in any situation.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

This means practically nothing when you are trying to locate a specific color out of many hundreds

You underestimate the MMO community
rare = good, that’s most of them run around in full abyss

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I would like to see both options still available, but yes, the game should remember your choice of Sort by Hue or Sort by Rarity.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I prefer the Set sort, but I would support having each person choose what the default is.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

This means practically nothing when you are trying to locate a specific color out of many hundreds

How did this even happen? Did MMO developers around the world just realise one day that Black was a highly desirable colour and decide to make it the rarest? Always seems to be across every game I’ve played.

If GW2 suddenly made all grey hues common, and made some new obscure yellow and green dyes super rare would everyone run it for rarity reason, or stick to black because it still looks cool?

Posted by: Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Best would be to be able to sort by 2 options in a grid.
Example : I want to dye the metallic part of my human t3 light armor. After a few tries, it becomes obvious that I need a metallic dye for best result.
But I want a specific color … I need 2-way sorting in order to get, say, all metallic purple dyes.

Even more important : add hue/set/material filters in TP !!!!!
The above example comes from a secondary character I created for WvW, she is not collecting dyes, I had a hard time finding the right ones to preview and choose. (has to use wiki lists)
Btw, the whole TP needs better categories and more filters, also needs existing items to be affected properly to existing categories …

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

How did this even happen? Did MMO developers around the world just realise one day that Black was a highly desirable colour and decide to make it the rarest? Always seems to be across every game I’ve played.

If GW2 suddenly made all grey hues common, and made some new obscure yellow and green dyes super rare would everyone run it for rarity reason, or stick to black because it still looks cool?

Pyre, Algae, deep glacial sky all say hi.

Ever since the introduction of super rare dyes I see a lot more people moving away from abyss or celestial as their primary color. It’s a nice thing.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Higher rarity colors have better shadows. Also for beginners it makes sense to show them what colors they just recived or are uncommon.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I prefer the current default (sort by set). Why?

Because the common/uncommon/rare designation actually means something, and would like to see a 4th designation for the special event dyes.

The quality of the dye determines how much colour and detail you will see in your expensive armour.

Starter/common dye lacks detail and are flat and dullish no matter the armour type or dye channel, These are designed for low level armour for a reason.

Anyone who has spent over 100g on T3 cultural, or bought gem shop armour, then dyes the pieces with starter/common dye will notice something is off. Dye those same pieces with rare or special event dye and you will see a huge difference in detail, not only on the armour, but subtle shifts in colour within the same dye channel.

Of course if you run the game on low graphics settings, then you miss all this …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Rarity should stay the default, but the game should remember your choice.

If someone spends 200+g on special dyes then they will want to find those dyes quickly.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Rarity should stay the default, but the game should remember your choice.

If someone spends 200+g on special dyes then they will want to find those dyes quickly.

Isn’t that the point of selecting some dyes as favourites?

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Pyre, Algae, deep glacial sky all say hi.

Ever since the introduction of super rare dyes I see a lot more people moving away from abyss or celestial as their primary color. It’s a nice thing.

That’s true actually, I had forgotten about the Gemstore dyes. I can’t say I’ve seen the same as you though. Abyss and Celestial still seem to be the dyes of choice. They’re also still the same in-game rarity as Abyss and Celestial.

I wondered if they would see substantially more use if the current favourites were downgraded.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

They should be exotic dyes, I mean the details are awesome !

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Gasp But if I have it sorted by Hue how will I know which are the rare dyes? How can I show off how much money I have or how awesome my RNG luck has been if I accidentally pick Midday dye instead of Sky? I’d look like an idiot walking around with common colours on.

/troll

Seriously though I agree. I don’t even have many dyes but I’ve been using the sort by Hue option since I first got non-starter colours.

All 3 options should still be available and rarity could stay the default but the game could remember which you prefer to use.

It’s just a guess but I suspect developers knew their audience enough to know black would be a popular colour and so made it rare to give people an incentive to go for it.

Funny thing is in real life I wear a lot of black, often all black. But in games I tend to go for more varied colour schemes. I think because the clothes are usually more interesting so it makes sense to compliment that and because it’s easier to customise everything whereas in real life it can be a pain to find different pieces that go together and use complimentary colours.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”