Now that "everyone" has access to portals

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Whats the excuse for not giving mesmers a much needed 25% movement speed increase signet utility option?

Im willing to sacrifice the 10% boon passive for said passive. At least make it usable only in PvE, or out of combat (and only getting on combat when YOU hit something, not when a random skritt throws something at you)

The “they can kite in combat” is not enough because we have 10% mov speed increase per clone/phant alive yet I dont see anyone complaining about it.

Anet?

EDIT Guys, stop trying to rationalize this issue, this is an obvious overlook and Im hoping Anet is working on a solution, there is absolutely no excuse as to way we must remain the most ridiculously excruciatingly dragging slowest class in the game

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Because mesmers only use was portals?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

The cost of those new portals is pretty stiff. Mesmers still will be the go to guy for portals.

Fortus.6175

I think you guys missed the point, in fact, I think you guys didnt even bother to read. This isnt about “mesmers are now useless since everyone can get a portal”, this about “mesmer were never allowed to have speed boosts because they would bring a unique mechanic to the game that would allow them to transport anyone, having a speed boost would only increase the strenght of this”

Now everyone who really wants to can bring said portal and a speed boost to back it up. I think it is time we move from that archaic way of thinking and give mesmers the uncalled for lack of movement speed for exploring without having tyo spend 15 gold in runes and having to occupy a weapons slot that most likely than not you will not like.

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

So warriors should get a speedboost too?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Warrior has a number of reliable means of getting Swiftness. Warhorn, all the banners, Signet of Rage. As well as the sword and greatsword which can greatly improve mobility.
Mesmer has 2 skills that give swiftness, one of which does so randomly, and one teleport on a long cooldown. Also one of the swiftness skills will only give it if you don’t have it already.
Warriors: mobile. Mesmers: glacial.

Fortus.6175

EDIT: forgot, warrios have a trait that gives you 25% on melee weapons too……your move.

You mean, you dont use your elite for that? and the thousand ways of moving around with GS? What about banners, which also have boosts and movements……Have you ever bothered trying to get map completition with a mesmer? or moving around with mesmer in WvW? Yes, i know you have, but I can also bet you dont have 100% on it, as compared to moving with a ranger, thief, ele, necro. Guardian, warrios get to have almost 100% uptime movement speed on top of skills thgat move you certain distance, and more if you have a speed boost.. Notice the pattern? Mesmer is missing there in the list, I dont know about engis, dont play them nor ever seen them.

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

gimmethegepgun.1284

I dont know about engis, dont play them nor ever seen them.

Engy can use a single Adept Major trait to get perma swiftness. They don’t have much of anything else that helps them move faster, but 100% uptime is 100% uptime, which is a hell of a lot better than what Mesmer gets.

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

uhm warriors get the trait: +25% movement on melee.. :-)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I think you guys missed the point, in fact, I think you guys didnt even bother to read. This isnt about “mesmers are now useless since everyone can get a portal”, this about “mesmer were never allowed to have speed boosts because they would bring a unique mechanic to the game that would allow them to transport anyone, having a speed boost would only increase the strenght of this”

Now everyone who really wants to can bring said portal and a speed boost to back it up. I think it is time we move from that archaic way of thinking and give mesmers the uncalled for lack of movement speed for exploring without having tyo spend 15 gold in runes and having to occupy a weapons slot that most likely than not you will not like.

What rationale is this?

The portal has a huge cooldown to begin with, and only a certain distance, so using teleport isn’t going to speed up travel time vs a guy with 15% swiftness

If anything, the reason why mesmer has no speed is because of the clones and their ability to ‘kite’ enemies and move around

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Fortus.6175

What rationale is this?

The portal has a huge cooldown to begin with, and only a certain distance, so using teleport isn’t going to speed up travel time vs a guy with 15% swiftness

If anything, the reason why mesmer has no speed is because of the clones and their ability to ‘kite’ enemies and move around

Well, every time someone brings the topic up it always get bashed with the portal issue. But now lets analize your point and how it is null. We actually have a trait that increases your movement speed by 10% with every clone alive. Therefore, in battle, we can get said mobility, rendering your argument, well, invalid.

Im talking about a 25% movement speed signet for moving around. In combat usefulness argument has been rendered invalid, portals is now also invalid. Whats the next thing, whats making us being the ONLY profession that has to suffer from turtle syndrome?!

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

If you want to compare it to a Portal think about spending 5 gold whenever you want to move bit faster.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The mesmer focus has a speed boost built into it too. How come mesmers never bring that up?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

there are consumables to buff speed, I say remove all speed buffs from class skills – see?

Fortus.6175

If you want to compare it to a Portal think about spending 5 gold whenever you want to move bit faster.

that analogy would be the equivalent of a mesmer using portal every time it is off cooldown, regardless of what he is doing or where he is, like having the skill on autocast, just simply not the same.

The equivalent analogy of what Im saying is; imagine if everyone had to pay 5 gold evertime they wanted to have more than one way of putting swiftness on them or using a skill that move them certain distance. THAT is the right analogy.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Shadyjames.1345

Shadyjames.1345

The mesmer focus has a speed boost built into it too. How come mesmers never bring that up?

yup swap to you whatever/focus weapon set drop your curtain, step through it. gain your speed boost, swap back to your great sword, and viola!

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Whats the excuse for not giving mesmers a much needed 25% movement speed increase?

Im willing to sacrifice the 10% boon passive for said passive. At least make it usable only in PvE, or out of combat (and only getting on combat when YOU hit something, not when a random skritt throws something at you)

Anet?

If you make it a one time use item that costs almost 3g to build then sure…

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

that analogy would be the equivalent of a mesmer using portal every time it is off cooldown, regardless of what he is doing or where he is, like having the skill on autocast, just simply not the same.

The equivalent analogy of what Im saying is; imagine if everyone had to pay 5 gold evertime they wanted to have more than one way of putting swiftness on them or using a skill that move them certain distance. THAT is the right analogy.

I don’t see how it isn’t same. If non-Mesmer wants to use a Portal he has to pay 3g.
If you compare 25% passive speedboost to a Portal then a Mesmer would have to pay 3g for that (whether this lasts 1 minute, while on area or 1 day doesn’t really matter).

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Engy can use a single Adept Major trait to get perma swiftness. They don’t have much of anything else that helps them move faster, but 100% uptime is 100% uptime, which is a hell of a lot better than what Mesmer gets.

100% uptime if you run kits, which pretty much negates all elixir builds, turret builds and gadget builds. Because thats the requirement on that trait- that you are wearing a kit for the movement speed increase.

So, 100% uptime for only a percentage of the population? Awesome.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

You already have dozens of ways to escape every single kitten fight whenever you want,lets ask for Warriors to be granted teleporting and portals and stealth aswell…because ehhh we need it !!!

Fortus.6175

because , like it has been said a thousand times, that and blink are our ONLY option, even Guardian who is almost as limited has; shouts, TWO shouts, 2 weapons that allow him to move faster (GS and staff) and sevral “gimmicks” like sword #2 or that meditation skill with 1200 range, they can move around maps easily. Then you have professions with 100% uptime swiftness, eles get 10% for attuning to air in the Air 5 points trait, with signet of air (25% mov speed) they literally have 35% move speed (swiftness 100% uptime) . Thieves got 25, rangers got 25, necros got 25, warriors got 25, engis get perma swiftness, guardians get almsot perma swiftness (never had issues moving around)

Mesmers? spend nearly 16 gold on centaur runes, cut into armor build (no MF runes, no crit runes, that or spend another 16 just in runes to make another set), cut into weapon build; not everyone has focus as a weapon, some people like running GS sword/pistol.

Notice the pattern? Vayne, we all know you are a hardcore defendr of Anet, you will defend them even if suddenly they were to throw everyone’s account to the trash bin for no reason, but sometimes you gotta think that Anet commit errors, that sometimes they overlook things, I believe mesmer’s mobility has been neglected, we just need to bring attention to it.

And dont tell me that it is because we can kite, because all those classes also depend on kiting and we do that a triat that increases our mobility by 10% for each clone/phant alive.

I just want to move around and not feel like my grandma on walking sticks.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

So mesmers have 2 options and engineers have 2 options.

Mesmers get blink + focus. Engineers get a trait that only works with kits and they get Elixir B.

Fortus.6175

You already have dozens of ways to escape every single kitten fight whenever you want,lets ask for Warriors to be granted teleporting and portals and stealth aswell…because ehhh we need it !!!

Another guy who misses the point of the thread, and just for the records, warriors have even MORE ways of escaping fights, but lets not turn his thread into a warrior vs mesmer, who is best. This is about

Get this right:
MESMERS MOBILITY in PvE and WvW and jut simply exploring around, if they want to sacrifice an utility to gain that speed, then let them! They deserve it!

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Can’t mesmers trait so they get speed boost per active clone? Every weapon set has clones available. Spam the skill and grab a speed boost. per clone, you should have quite a boost, no?

Fortus.6175

So mesmers have 2 options and engineers have 2 options.

Mesmers get blink + focus. Engineers get a trait that only works with kits and they get Elixir B.

except that engis can just equip an utility and voila.

It is about the amounbt, it is about the effectivity.

Let me give you a good analogy:

You get paid twice a month, I get paid also twice a month. You get paid 1000 per each time, I get paid 1000000 each ime. We both get two payments, yet mine is incredibly better than yours.

Legendary SoloQ

Fortus.6175

Can’t mesmers trait so they get speed boost per active clone? Every weapon set has clones available. Spam the skill and grab a speed boost. per clone, you should have quite a boost, no?

no, you cant cast clones out of combat, also you need a target for them, you get slowed in combat (by a lot) swiftnes in combat is almost as bad as normal movement speed without swiftness. And if you didnt know you cant cats clones out of combat then I recommend you play mesmers for a bit

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

Just thought I’d mention this, but none of the eles speed traits stack with each other or swiftness. So the fastest they can move is still 33% faster

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

well the new portal only works about 20% of the time… so I guess we can give memsers a movement buff that randomly works 20% of the time?

CrossedHorse.4261

no, you cant cast clones out of combat, also you need a target for them, you get slowed in combat (by a lot) swiftnes in combat is almost as bad as normal movement speed without swiftness. And if you didnt know you cant cats clones out of combat then I recommend you play mesmers for a bit

I have – just never got far past level 15 with them as am preoccupied with other classes, so didn’t know about the trait that gives you speed boosts with clones and honestly never tried casting clones out of combat, lol.

I recently took signet of the locust off my Necro (trying to use more useful combat skills), and yep – the lack of speed is a killer. Have to admit part of the reason I didn’t stick with the mesmers was the time it took to get anywhere, so I’d like to see them improve in this area too (because in general I did like that profession).

gimmethegepgun.1284

100% uptime if you run kits, which pretty much negates all elixir builds, turret builds and gadget builds. Because thats the requirement on that trait- that you are wearing a kit for the movement speed increase.

So, 100% uptime for only a percentage of the population? Awesome.

And if you don’t bring MH Sword or greatsword, and have no banners as warrior you’re going to be slow too. That doesn’t make warrior slow, that makes low-mobility warrior slow.
If you don’t bring the stuff to make you faster then obviously you’re not going to be fast. Except engineer still actually has that option, and a good one at that. Mesmer has kitten. For mesmer to have a remotely decent movement speed they have to rely on something that isn’t a part of the mesmer profession, runes, to do it for them, because their own skills and traits won’t.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I main an Engie, but when I run my mesmer I simply use a focus. Gives me enough speed where I don’t complain much any more.

The other utility that the mesmer brings more than makes up for the lack of speed. And having to give up an off-hand weapon slot for a focus was not a deal breaker for me.

My main Engie, on the other hand, has perma-swiftness thanks to traits but lacks a lot of utility. (Funny, I know.. supposed to very versatile).

My mesmer with a staff/sword/focus and knights gear can kill enemies way faster than my Engie all zerked out. And bring stealth while doing it to help avoid unnecessary mobs.

My big issue with the mesmer is more condition removal than speed.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Whats the excuse for not giving mesmers a much needed 25% movement speed increase?

Anet?

I think it’s fair to give mesmer’s access to swiftness, on the same level as other classes (afaik other classes have ways to regularly expedite movement).

I don’t really see what portals have to do with it. The only reason i can see being against it is more because it would make a mesmer impossible to kill. drop clone, drop clone, stealth, swiftness and cheese it lol It would be like fighting a thief that also has clones.

I would say make it out-of-combat swiftness, like with my Ele. I switch between weapons when running around WvW (out of combat) to maintain swiftness instead of using traits or utility skills.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Everyone has had access to portals since launch. 52c each, Valance Tutory Waypoint, Timberline Falls.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

As a mesmer, the speed boost from focus 4, while nice,is not enough to sustain a reasonable movement speed compared to everyone else.

However, in fact, we are all well aware of it. It’s the reason that a focus has been the required off hand weapon for a mesmer.

You get 12 seconds of swiftness (33% increased movement) every 25 seconds. And it doesn’t stack with swiftness from other areas (so it can only initiate and not extend the duration).

Normal movement speed is 300 u/s. So for 12 seconds we move at 400 u/s followed by 13 seconds of 300 u/s movement for a total of (12*400 + 13 *300 => 8700 u in 25 seconds or an average of 348 units/second.

Compare to a 25% movement speed signet. If the person has no access to swiftness they move at 375 units / second.

About 8% faster. And that assumes the person has no access to swiftness.

Compare to a guardian (the proclaimed slowest class). The guardian gets 8 seconds of swiftness every 15 seconds with the staff. That’s 7 seconds of normal movement and 8 seconds of swiftness (7*300+8*400=>5300 units / 15 seconds or an average speed of 353 units / second.

So even a guardian is faster than a mesmer.

Note: I was using only a weapon skill. However, blink gives 900 units of movement every 30 seconds, so an additional 30 u/s (provided you are willing to waste it on movement.) However, if we’re wasting utilities, the Guardian as retreat which provides 33% additional uptime of swiftness. So the Guardian will still win.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

maybe weaken Mesmer combat ability first, then up their running away speed. No? then nope.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Someone has to be slowest.

Should i make a post crying about unfairness of warrior lacking stealth, and clones, and i would like backstab too. Oh yea, deathshroud on my warr too, where is it? I also want to be able to use staff on my warrior, and i want everything every other class has.

Anet?

p.s. Mesmer is what mesmer is, if you dont like it roll something else that has alot of swiftness.

CrossedHorse.4261

While we’re on the issue of speed, do some professions just run faster than others anyway by default? My elementalist (without any swiftness) seems to run a whole lot faster than my warrior, for instance, despite the fact they’re both human, and both run faster than my engi seems to. I’m fully aware I could be biasing the way I’m viewing them by what I already know about their potential, but it’s just something I wondered.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I was about to… but of course it’s practically the only reason I use a focus off-hand. I’d rather have a sword or pistol off-hand personally. Now, when running with the pack I don’t need a speed boost if the group is providing boosts on the move, so it’s really not that bad.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Hell Avenger.7021

I was about to… but of course it’s practically the only reason I use a focus off-hand. I’d rather have a sword or pistol off-hand personally. Now, when running with the pack I don’t need a speed boost if the group is providing boosts on the move, so it’s really not that bad.

buddy, you spilling the secrets! THIS IS ALL ABOUT POWA INCREASE

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Guardians also get “Leap of Faith” as the number 3 attack on their greatsword, which further increases their mobility. Untraited, you can use this to leap forward every 15 seconds. Traited with Two-Handed Mastery, every 13.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

TooBz.3065

maybe weaken Mesmer combat ability first, then up their running away speed. No? then nope.

My only issue with Mesmer movement is in the quality of life department. Running from LA to Orr kind of stuff.

I think that combat mobility for a mesmer is up there with the best classes. That includes engaging and disengaging (if you take cripples and other things into account).

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

While we’re on the issue of speed, do some professions just run faster than others anyway by default? My elementalist (without any swiftness) seems to run a whole lot faster than my warrior, for instance, despite the fact they’re both human, and both run faster than my engi seems to. I’m fully aware I could be biasing the way I’m viewing them by what I already know about their potential, but it’s just something I wondered.

It’s probably to do with what race and size they are.

For example, a maximum sized Norn runs at the same speed as a minimum sized Asura.
But because the animations are slower, the Norn feels slower than the Asura. The Asura’s little legs will be going like the clappers and they’ll take between 4-5 strides for every one of the Norn’s.

There’s also an annoying animation glitch for Asuras, where the run animation is slower while wielding shortbows. So it feels like whenever your Thief or Ranger swap from one weapon to Shortbow, they slow down. They’re actually running at exactly the same speed as before, it just feels slower.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Hell Avenger.7021

My only issue with Mesmer movement is in the quality of life department. Running from LA to Orr kind of stuff.

I think that combat mobility for a mesmer is up there with the best classes. That includes engaging and disengaging (if you take cripples and other things into account).

Quality of life, BUT it cause balance issue. I bet there is some food you can buy to have swiftness right? if there is, just use those for pve

gimmethegepgun.1284

I bet there is some food you can buy to have swiftness right? if there is, just use those for pve

Nope, the only swiftness-granting food is on-kill stuff, which obviously is useless for running places.

TooBz.3065

Quality of life, BUT it cause balance issue. I bet there is some food you can buy to have swiftness right? if there is, just use those for pve

IDK. Frankly, I wouldn’t use the signet if we got one. It’s not worth giving up the utility slot. I always end up the poster boy for positions I don’t support/care about cause I like to argue and tend to interject analysis when people saying things like “you have a focus”.
(not necessarily good or accurate analysis, but something that resembles an early crayon drawing of analysis).

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

The only play Mesmers struggle form lack of speed is running place to place exploring and simply carrying a focus for running mostly solves this. It obviously has some issue if you get ganked by a champ/wvw enemy and your forced to fight with focus instead of your regular offhand, but that is the trade off. Mesmers are far to good at in fight mobility and basically everything else to need an addition source of speed.

You can always spend gold/money or farm level 10s to get keys to open BLC and keep a supply of speed boosters That is probably only a bit more expensive than a player using a portal item every time a mesmer would use a portal and I think it still works in WvW unlike the portal device. :P

(edited by gaspara.4079)

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Compare to a guardian (the proclaimed slowest class). The guardian gets 8 seconds of swiftness every 15 seconds with the staff. That’s 7 seconds of normal movement and 8 seconds of swiftness (7*300+8*400=>5300 units / 15 seconds or an average speed of 353 units / second.

Note: I was using only a weapon skill. However, blink gives 900 units of movement every 30 seconds, so an additional 30 u/s (provided you are willing to waste it on movement.) However, if we’re wasting utilities, the Guardian as retreat which provides 33% additional uptime of swiftness. So the Guardian will still win.

If you as a mesmer cannot outrun a guardian in combat you are seriously screwing up. I’m sorry but as a guardian myself I can outright say that any class that wants to can just leave combat with us. It is a source of major annoyance for us. Don’t go trivializing our problems with speed because you want to make your class seem slower. Mesmers and guardian are in the same boat when it comes to out of combat movement speed. but Guardians don’t have stealth, blinks, clones, and portals. Mesmers are currently one of the hardest classes to catch in combat because of this, even perm swift elementalists and engineers are hard pressed to keep up with a mesmer who wants to get away.

That is the reason you don’t have a perm 25% boost to movement speed. Compare apples to apples man. Elementalists cant disappear or create clones, they have to move faster. Basic stuff here.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Posted by: rultax.2604

rultax.2604

Should i make a post crying about unfairness of warrior lacking stealth, and clones, and i would like backstab too. Oh yea, deathshroud on my warr too, where is it? I also want to be able to use staff on my warrior, and i want everything every other class has.

Anet?

p.s. Mesmer is what mesmer is, if you dont like it roll something else that has alot of swiftness.

Your comparing unique profession abilities to a boon that is widely available to everyone except mesmer. Not exactly an equivalent comparison.

Ehmry Bay

TooBz.3065

If you as a mesmer cannot outrun a guardian in combat you are seriously screwing up. I’m sorry but as a guardian myself I can outright say that any class that wants to can just leave combat with us. It is a source of major annoyance for us. Don’t go trivializing our problems with speed because you want to make your class seem slower. Mesmers and guardian are in the same boat when it comes to movement speed. but Guardians don’t have stealth, blinks, clones, and portals. Mesmers are currently one of the hardest classes to catch in combat because of this, even perm swift elementalists and engineers are hard pressed to keep up with a mesmer who wants to get away.

That is the reason you don’t have a perm 25% boost to movement speed. Compare apples to apples man. Elementalists cant disappear or create clones, they have to move faster. Basic stuff here.

Sorry, out of combat movement only. I agree in combat. Mesmers are best in class when it comes to combat movement. I picked a guardian because I main a Guardian and a Mesmer, so I know a little about what I’m saying. And ANet has said that the Gaurdian is suppose to be the slowest.

The Guardian has an easier time keeping up with the pack. In combat, the Guardian plays like the immovable rock, I waltz though the enemy zerg turn around and come back. But he doesn’t have any kind of impressive movement.

The Mesmer blinks, ports, retreats, vanishes, etc. like crazy, but is much weaker and can’t stand up to much fire.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Anet?

Your comparing unique profession abilities to a boon that is widely available to everyone except mesmer. Not exactly an equivalent comparison.

Actually its not that widely available, just a handful of classes have a 25% signet to make up for a lack of sustainable Swiftness in most builds.