Now that "everyone" has access to portals

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Someone has to be slowest.

Should i make a post crying about unfairness of warrior lacking stealth, and clones, and i would like backstab too. Oh yea, deathshroud on my warr too, where is it? I also want to be able to use staff on my warrior, and i want everything every other class has.

Anet?

p.s. Mesmer is what mesmer is, if you dont like it roll something else that has alot of swiftness.

Your comparing unique profession abilities to a boon that is widely available to everyone except mesmer. Not exactly an equivalent comparison.

Actually its not that widely available, just a handful of classes have a 25% signet to make up for a lack of sustainable Swiftness in most builds.

+1, pretty much the whole point of the thread.

Everyone got options on what to do if they want to move around fast, we, have only focus, which is not enough, because it doesnt stack the swiftness, 25 secs CD with only 13 of swiftness. Other classes can work around their build a litle bit, make small sacrifices and get all the mobility they want, we do not have that luxury no matter what we do. And no, 16 gold for some extra swiftness while sacrificing real runes is NOT enough and NOT fair!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: rultax.2604

rultax.2604

Actually its not that widely available, just a handful of classes have a 25% signet to make up for a lack of sustainable Swiftness in most builds.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swiftness
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_speed

I don’t know. Seems like there is quite a bit of availability out there.

I see the Mesmer icon 5 times on those pages and 3 of the 5 are applied randomly, one requires you to be in combat and the last is a short duration that cannot be stacked.

Ehmry Bay

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Personally, I’d give up my portal ability for a 25% signet on my Mesmer. In PvE maps, I think all classes should get a 25% signet. This is the one reason I can’t get myself to level on my Mesmer much. I like the class, just hate the god awful speed of moving around the map.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Sorry, out of combat movement only. I agree in combat. Mesmers are best in class when it comes to combat movement. I picked a guardian because I main a Guardian and a Mesmer, so I know a little about what I’m saying. And ANet has said that the Gaurdian is suppose to be the slowest.

The Guardian has an easier time keeping up with the pack. In combat, the Guardian plays like the immovable rock, I waltz though the enemy zerg turn around and come back. But he doesn’t have any kind of impressive movement.

The Mesmer blinks, ports, retreats, vanishes, etc. like crazy, but is much weaker and can’t stand up to much fire.

Well out of combat movement is 100% quality of life and I am of the opinion that we should all have the exact same out of combat movement speed. Its doesn’t really effect the game much it’s just nice. This is why mounts are very popular in MMOs. It’s a simple way to say everyone moves at X speed out of combat.

but to give mesmers more movement speed would make them even more insane in combat. It just cant be done right now, for that reason.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Personally, I know a lot of people think that having to carry a focus for speed stinks but the skills it brings in addition to the speed are very useful.

I love the area pull and the phastasm warden. I use both of those skills on quite a regular basis.

Clones + Stealth + Speed would be pretty insane combination.

Posted by: Archon.6481

Archon.6481

Compare to a guardian (the proclaimed slowest class). The guardian gets 8 seconds of swiftness every 15 seconds with the staff. That’s 7 seconds of normal movement and 8 seconds of swiftness (7*300+8*400=>5300 units / 15 seconds or an average speed of 353 units / second.

So even a guardian is faster than a mesmer.

Note: I was using only a weapon skill. However, blink gives 900 units of movement every 30 seconds, so an additional 30 u/s (provided you are willing to waste it on movement.) However, if we’re wasting utilities, the Guardian as retreat which provides 33% additional uptime of swiftness. So the Guardian will still win.

If you as a mesmer cannot outrun a guardian in combat you are seriously screwing up. I’m sorry but as a guardian myself I can outright say that any class that wants to can just leave combat with us. It is a source of major annoyance for us. Don’t go trivializing our problems with speed because you want to make your class seem slower. Mesmers and guardian are in the same boat when it comes to out of combat movement speed. but Guardians don’t have stealth, blinks, clones, and portals. Mesmers are currently one of the hardest classes to catch in combat because of this, even perm swift elementalists and engineers are hard pressed to keep up with a mesmer who wants to get away.

That is the reason you don’t have a perm 25% boost to movement speed. Compare apples to apples man. Elementalists cant disappear or create clones, they have to move faster. Basic stuff here.

I’m pretty sure thieves can escape combat better than any other class. They too have a 25% movement speed signet.

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

Fortus.6175

Compare to a guardian (the proclaimed slowest class). The guardian gets 8 seconds of swiftness every 15 seconds with the staff. That’s 7 seconds of normal movement and 8 seconds of swiftness (7*300+8*400=>5300 units / 15 seconds or an average speed of 353 units / second.

Note: I was using only a weapon skill. However, blink gives 900 units of movement every 30 seconds, so an additional 30 u/s (provided you are willing to waste it on movement.) However, if we’re wasting utilities, the Guardian as retreat which provides 33% additional uptime of swiftness. So the Guardian will still win.

If you as a mesmer cannot outrun a guardian in combat you are seriously screwing up. I’m sorry but as a guardian myself I can outright say that any class that wants to can just leave combat with us. It is a source of major annoyance for us. Don’t go trivializing our problems with speed because you want to make your class seem slower. Mesmers and guardian are in the same boat when it comes to out of combat movement speed. but Guardians don’t have stealth, blinks, clones, and portals. Mesmers are currently one of the hardest classes to catch in combat because of this, even perm swift elementalists and engineers are hard pressed to keep up with a mesmer who wants to get away.

That is the reason you don’t have a perm 25% boost to movement speed. Compare apples to apples man. Elementalists cant disappear or create clones, they have to move faster. Basic stuff here.

I’m pretty sure thieves can escape combat better than any other class. They too have a 25% movement speed signet.

+1 pretty much this, and to top it off they are one of the highest rated professions in the game, if you didnt know then check the tournaments and high ranking matches…

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Portals are most useful in WvW, so I don’t think its such a big deal. Movement speed is strange in this game though. It really makes no sense. The deciding factor when I picked thief was that signet… I rolled a mesmer first and couldn’t believe such a popular job had no movement speed, and switched to thief. 90% of any MMO is running around.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

Can’t mesmers trait so they get speed boost per active clone? Every weapon set has clones available. Spam the skill and grab a speed boost. per clone, you should have quite a boost, no?

clones and phantasms skills need targets thanks to people cry in a corner in pvp e wvwvw.
so no you don’t have any speed boost out of combat and entering combat to have a speed boost is non sense.
also the focus speed boost last what 7 seconds? it doesn’t stack with any other speed boost. and according to me invest on rune of centaur for speed boost on heal and swiftness duration is just a waste.

i do feel a snail most of my time in game when i have to run from point A to point B, especially after playing one of those speed racers classes like the ele. only reason i don’t like ele is because you are not that fast when you are dead somewhere (i suck at ele)

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Play an Asura, no matter whether they have speed boost or not it always feels like they are trucking along. Worst decision was making my Guardian the tallest Norn I could make, even when speed boosted it feels slow.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

+1 pretty much this, and to top it off they are one of the highest rated professions in the game, if you didnt know then check the tournaments and high ranking matches…

and lack adequate defenses outside of stealth and mobility.

The problem with this thread is you’re not actually looking at movement speed in the context of a profession’s strengths and weaknesses compared to other professions. There was a reason, for example, why eles received a huge mobility nerf because people were building highly mobile bunkers.

Maybe you should take some time to try to analyse, objectively, why the mesmer lacks mobility. I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with portals.

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

I dont know about engis, dont play them nor ever seen them.

Engy can use a single Adept Major trait to get perma swiftness. They don’t have much of anything else that helps them move faster, but 100% uptime is 100% uptime, which is a hell of a lot better than what Mesmer gets.

100% uptime if you run kits, which pretty much negates all elixir builds, turret builds and gadget builds. Because thats the requirement on that trait- that you are wearing a kit for the movement speed increase.

So, 100% uptime for only a percentage of the population? Awesome.

I don’t think you have an engineer because you have NO idea what you are talking about.

I have a lvl 80 Engi and I have this trait. It’s only 10 points and I felt like I “wanted” it in WvW as opposed to “needing” Centaur runes and always having a focus on my mesmer. How the engi trait works is when you equip a kit do you get the 5s(depends on boon duration) of swiftness. So you don’t always have to have it equipped, I just equip it and remove it to maintain it.

Now besides that single trait, here’s all of the other mobility options:

• Rocket Boots (vastly improved after a recent patch)
  • Slick Shoes utility skill
  • Elixir B for swiftness
  • Elixir B chance of swiftness on utility skill
  • Rifle Jump Shot
  • Elixir Gun/Rifle “backwards jump” abilities

Anyways, I agree with the OP. I have 6 lvl 80s now and my mesmer really does feel the least mobile out of all of them. It’s really noticeable in WvW just trying to get around I feel extremely slow. I don’t feel as if mesmers need it for escaping however, there are other classes that escape SO much better(perma stealth thief?). I hate having to always have Focus equipped and I can’t slot ruby orbs or other runes in my armor. It’s really just the way things are and I don’t feel as if other classes really have this kind of weapon/rune requirement that mesmers do. I’d really like to be able to equip a pistol/torch/sword sometime!

Fortus.6175

and lack adequate defenses outside of stealth and mobility.

The problem with this thread is you’re not actually looking at movement speed in the context of a profession’s strengths and weaknesses compared to other professions. There was a reason, for example, why eles received a huge mobility nerf because people were building highly mobile bunkers.

Maybe you should take some time to try to analyse, objectively, why the mesmer lacks mobility. I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with portals.

dunno man, saying that thieves lack defense outside stealth is a bit of an overstatement, after all, they have the most acess to blinds in the game, guardians coming second. If you think blind is not a form of defense try rolling an ele vs a thief and tell me how that goes.

The reason eles got nerfed was uncalled for, sure they hit bunkers but they also effectively nerfed an already broken staff with some changes (not the mobility one ssince thats for dagger users, but the water nerf hit us bad). Sure eles mobility needed some nerfs, but not the ones that were given, because it is pretty stup… no intelligent to add a skill a double cooldown for not hitting a target, specially not 40 secons, imagine if any other skill in the game worked like that; Warriors cannot use their skills to get away unless they hit something, same for guardians, same for thieves….. and dont tell me all of them have a hard time scaping because nothing scapes better than a thief or a warrior if they really wanna get away.

So no, I did look into context, you are the one that is trying to justify it. There is absolutelly no reason to punish mesmers who want to run around , especially when the only argument agaisnt them is “mobility in comabt”, once again, let me repeat it and BOLD IT THIS TIME (i by no means meant for this to be read as a yel, simply trying to make it more visible)

We already have in combat mobility, we get 10% movement speed for each clones/phant alive so that is NOT an argument agaisnt a signet for 25% mov speed for purposes NOT related to combat

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I’m sorry, but mesmers do not need a 25% speed boost. Holy kitten, they have some of the best in-combat mobility in the game, why the hell would they need a perpetual speed boost on top of it? Oh, right, people can’t stand the idea of the warrior class having some sort of good trait that everyone else can’t do better.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I’m sorry, but mesmers do not need a 25% speed boost. Holy kitten, they have some of the best in-combat mobility in the game, why the hell would they need a perpetual speed boost on top of it? Oh, right, people can’t stand the idea of the warrior class having some sort of good trait that everyone else can’t do better.

Thieves and D/D Eles have far better combat mobility, period. This isn’t about the War being better at running, so all other classes be jelly.

Mesmers and Necros have the worst mobility. I really see no reason why, it’s not like they are OP so let’s make them slow.

Combat swiftness can be traited in most professions, if not all. But, you’re already slowed in combat. That 25% signet in combat isn’t really useful anyway. It’s pretty much about running from point a to point b.

Mesmers ability to get away in combat is pretty much dependent on blink and maybe the staff skill 2….

When i run on my mesmer, i’m using the booster to get the 15%, but it’ll start becoming costly once i run out. I hate traveling on my mesmer, not to mention blink still has kittened up animation.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Who’s this “Everyone”?
You got a Lodestone Factory in your pocket??

And yes, Mesmers need to remain a bit less Mobile in general. They’re the ONLY other class I genuinely fear in WvW besides an incredibly well played Guardian (who are not the quickest roamers). … I don’t worry about Thieves. I laugh at Warriors. And I just plain pity Rangers. …But those mesmers…. they scare me

Disclaimer: I’ve seen some pretty imbalanced Eles too… who YES, were “imba” b/c of their ability to also Roam fast @ the same time. But I think eventually they’ll be put in their place too just like team split Mind-Blast n00bs in Gw1 were once there’s finally another sPvP format that isn’t just “Conquest” mode.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

So warriors should get a speedboost too?

Warrior has a number of reliable means of getting Swiftness. Warhorn, all the banners, Signet of Rage. As well as the sword and greatsword which can greatly improve mobility.
Mesmer has 2 skills that give swiftness, one of which does so randomly, and one teleport on a long cooldown. Also one of the swiftness skills will only give it if you don’t have it already.
Warriors: mobile. Mesmers: glacial.

Warrior, not gimmicky. Mesmer, gimmicky.

Guards don’t have speed signet either, or engi. And mes certainly doesn’t need one along with gimmick clones playing for you, and gimmick stealth. Suck it up. And the portal item can’t be used in wvw so who cares?

Giving mes a speed sig (even if pve only) means it would be useable in wvw, that’s a no.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Should i make a post crying about unfairness of warrior lacking stealth, and clones, and i would like backstab too. Oh yea, deathshroud on my warr too, where is it? I also want to be able to use staff on my warrior, and i want everything every other class has.

Anet?

p.s. Mesmer is what mesmer is, if you dont like it roll something else that has alot of swiftness.

Your comparing unique profession abilities to a boon that is widely available to everyone except mesmer. Not exactly an equivalent comparison.

There is also boon called protection that all classes have acsess to except warrior. There is also another boon available to all classes but necro, its called stability.

OP is asking for more power on already top tier class, which is egzactly what i was asking for warrior. Difference is, i wassn’t serious about it.

Zindrix.1750

Thieves and D/D Eles have far better combat mobility, period. This isn’t about the War being better at running, so all other classes be jelly.

Mesmers and Necros have the worst mobility. I really see no reason why, it’s not like they are OP so let’s make them slow.

Combat swiftness can be traited in most professions, if not all. But, you’re already slowed in combat. That 25% signet in combat isn’t really useful anyway. It’s pretty much about running from point a to point b.

Mesmers ability to get away in combat is pretty much dependent on blink and maybe the staff skill 2….

When i run on my mesmer, i’m using the booster to get the 15%, but it’ll start becoming costly once i run out. I hate traveling on my mesmer, not to mention blink still has kittened up animation.

Necro’s still have a speed signet and a utility that grants them 30 seconds of swiftenss(which is a lot). They don’t have crap for stability or vigor but those are separate debates.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

It takes 1 charged lode to make one. Stop complaining.

Zindrix.1750

Anet?

There is also boon called protection that all classes have acsess to except warrior. There is also another boon available to all classes but necro, its called stability.

OP is asking for more power on already top tier class, which is egzactly what i was asking for warrior. Difference is, i wassn’t serious about it.

Don’t need protection when you have Endure Pain.

Also people need to reread the OP. Mesmers don’t really need “combat mobility” it’s more about a speed increase from getting to point A to point B. Every single other class has easy access to longer durations of swiftness or a speed signet and mesmers just get the shaft. I have 6 characters at lvl 80 and I still agree that mesmers could use SOMETHING for getting around WvW faster since Anet isn’t going to make mounts anytime soon. This is extremely noticeable since I have played other classes, if you haven’t then maybe you should rethink your opinion before you post.

munkiman.3068

Necro’s still have a speed signet and a utility that grants them 30 seconds of swiftenss(which is a lot). They don’t have crap for stability or vigor but those are separate debates.

Ahh, i don’t have a necro, didn’t realize they had a signet. That’s really all i’d like to see for a mesmer anyway, a signet that didn’t just give random swiftness. Locust swarm is on a 60 second cooldown though, which makes it a fairly crappy run skill, IMO.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Anet?

Don’t need protection when you have Endure Pain.

Also people need to reread the OP. Mesmers don’t really need “combat mobility” it’s more about a speed increase from getting to point A to point B. Every single other class has easy access to longer durations of swiftness or a speed signet and mesmers just get the shaft. I have 6 characters at lvl 80 and I still agree that mesmers could use SOMETHING for getting around WvW faster since Anet isn’t going to make mounts anytime soon. This is extremely noticeable since I have played other classes, if you haven’t then maybe you should rethink your opinion before you post.

For wvw?? NO. It’s a pvp/competitive environment. Are you insane or not very smart?? And MOUNTS?? What on earth are you thinking buddy. NO.

If you want speed in wvw hang around someone who can provide it for you, just like how mes can provide portals for others and they can’t. Which you should be doing anyway as you’re meant to be combining classes together to make use of their abilities.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Lets sum it up shall we:

Classes with perma-speed (out of combat, not limited to certain weapons):
Engineer – +33% and perma-vigor from 20 trait points (10 optional)
Thief – +25% from signet
Warrior – +25% from 10 trait points
Elementalist – +25% from signet
Necromancer – +25% from signet
Ranger – +25% from signet
Mesmer – None
Guardian – None

In other words, a MAJORITY of the classes has easy perma-speed. Classes that are weak compared to Mesmer and Guardian? Uh… No. The others are just as strong. Why is the Mesmer and Guardian left out? No one knows. You can argue “oh but the Mesmer has all that combat movement!” and “All Guardians spec for immortality!”. No. They dont. Unless they trait/spec for it. Just like any other class that do have a “easy way out” like a signet. A Thief can suck in terms of stealth or they can have perma-stealth. A Necro can spec to out-tank a Guardian while also out-damaging him by alot. Exact same thing.

Nope, its a very simple reason why the Mesmer and Guardian wont see an easy way out like the other classes – they simply dont care about fixing the classes if its not a simple nerf or a buff. They cant even fix the bugs with the classes, such as iLeap on the Mesmer. Adding/changing a skill that isnt a nerf/buff? HA! Allow me to laugh.

And as a sidenote, of course you can get swiftness as both Guardian and Mesmer – Just use centaur runes, spec for boon duration, equip certain weapons (staff for guard, focus for mes, etc). All these things however limit them unlike the others – some of which can do the exact same thing. Warrior most notable – Warhorn gives perma-swiftness with little effort, yet the Mesmer focus does not because of the cooldown. Obvious bias even when the focus was buffed for speed and nerfed for utility?

And they still havent fixed the stacking issues with both the Mesmer focus and Guardian staff, yet a Warrior can blow on his horn all day stacking everything.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

munkiman.3068

Actually Guardian can have perma swiftness or at the very least a 5-6 second downtime between shouts untraited. Not to mention an untargeted leap with the GS on a pretty short cooldown. I’d still much rather roam on my G than my mes.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Actually Guardian can have perma swiftness or at the very least a 5-6 second downtime between shouts untraited. Not to mention an untargeted leap with the GS on a pretty short cooldown. I’d still much rather roam on my G than my mes.

Retreat gives 20s of swiftness on 60s cooldown. How do you get it to perma-swiftness?
Yes you can combine the staff with it too… Hence why its no longer called an easy way. The other classes dont need to limit themselves that much to reach +25%.

munkiman.3068

Retreat gives 20s of swiftness on 60s cooldown. How do you get it to perma-swiftness?
Yes you can combine the staff with it too… Hence why its no longer called an easy way. The other classes dont need to limit themselves that much to reach +25%.

Yeah, sorry traited, it’s like a 18 second downtime. With boon duration it’s 5- 6, depending on how much you have.

(edited by munkiman.3068)

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I’m all for a crafted speed boost that you can use on your mesmer.

Crafted speed boost has to have a short duration. Crafted portals don’t get you very far and are not really good for much beyond jumping puzzles so the crafted speed boost has to be just as useless.

Crafted speed boost needs to cost the same amout as a crafted portal. Make sure there are rare ingredients to keep the production cost high.

Crafted speed boost cannot be used in WvW just like the crafted portal.

I don’t think you need a trait, skill, or weapon modification just because crafted portals are introduced. If everyone got portal as a skill, I’d say differently then.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

Sil.4560

Thieves and D/D Eles have far better combat mobility, period.

Pft, don’t “period” me. I’ve seen and used more than enough staff 2 spamming, blinking, pseudo-mobility via maneuvering in stealth, and clone position swapping with sword to know that mesmers aren’t hurting for getting around in combat. Hell I’ve even seen some use a portal. It doesn’t need to be directly comparable to every other class, just enough for the class to function properly.

I do think that the focus swiftness needs to stack though. That it doesn’t work properly is just weird.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Everyone has had access to portals since launch. 52c each, Valance Tutory Waypoint, Timberline Falls.

That doesn’t work anything like a Mesmer portal when it comes to placing the entry and exit.

munkiman.3068

Thieves and D/D Eles have far better combat mobility, period.

Pft, don’t “period” me. I’ve seen and used more than enough staff 2 spamming, blinking, pseudo-mobility via maneuvering in stealth, and clone position swapping with sword to know that mesmers aren’t hurting for getting around in combat. Hell I’ve even seen some use a portal. It doesn’t need to be directly comparable to every other class, just enough for the class to function properly.

I do think that the focus swiftness needs to stack though. That it doesn’t work properly is just weird.

Absolutely, portal blinking is fun too. I’m not saying they are the worst, just that in casting mobility and escaping, they aren’t as quick as a D/D ele, least for me. I don’t play a thief though they seem even better than ele.

Sil.4560

Ugh, thieves. There’s such a thing as too much.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Ranger – +25% from signet

Do you even NatureMagic, bro?

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Portals are most useful in WvW, so I don’t think its such a big deal. Movement speed is strange in this game though. It really makes no sense. The deciding factor when I picked thief was that signet… I rolled a mesmer first and couldn’t believe such a popular job had no movement speed, and switched to thief. 90% of any MMO is running around.

I really wish they could have implemented a division between PvE, WvW and PvP. In my opinion, the esport vision has really hurt PvE on so many levels.

Zindrix.1750

For wvw?? NO. It’s a pvp/competitive environment. Are you insane or not very smart?? And MOUNTS?? What on earth are you thinking buddy. NO.

If you want speed in wvw hang around someone who can provide it for you, just like how mes can provide portals for others and they can’t. Which you should be doing anyway as you’re meant to be combining classes together to make use of their abilities.

So mesmers should just hang around warriors, eles, and rangers in WvW? You still haven’t provided a reason as to why every other class is able to move around in WvW AND PvE much faster than mesmers. Some maps are just really annoying to travel through to get to where the fight is happening and it’s boring/pointless. Funny how you’re questioning my judgement as it seems you mostly likely only play a warrior by smacking your face on the keyboard.

If every class didn’t already have access to a high swiftness uptime or a signet then maybe I would agree, but right now the only “tactical” advantage to swiftness is when you’re trying to run away from a mesmer since they don’t have more than 12s on a 25s CD.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Whats the excuse for not giving mesmers a much needed 25% movement speed increase?

Im willing to sacrifice the 10% boon passive for said passive. At least make it usable only in PvE, or out of combat (and only getting on combat when YOU hit something, not when a random skritt throws something at you)

Anet?

If you make it a one time use item that costs almost 3g to build then sure…

Leaving aside the speed issue who the hell at arenanet though this was a good idea? You would have to be mindbogglingly stupid to build and use these given the cost.

Then there’s the gem store salvage kit……..

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I agree mesmers need longer swift on the focus curtain (even if it means limiting it to 5 players sorry WvW crew) or a practical passive/utility movement ability.

I have 3 80s Warrior (my main) Mesmer (2nd) and Guardian (just made)
It takes my mesmer a full 5 minutes longer to do ori runs in comparison to my war and guard. They really are lacking in speed.

And yes I did time it just for fun, since playing mesmer feels snail mail pace to me lol looks like it had a reason.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

The portals aren’t useable in WvW and they’re expensive as hell. Nobody’s going to pay 3g to make a one-time use item unless it’s guaranteed to get them more in return than the initial investment for the portal. ArenaNet knows this and is waiting for people to find something worth said investment.

Fortus.6175

The portals aren’t useable in WvW and they’re expensive as hell. Nobody’s going to pay 3g to make a one-time use item unless it’s guaranteed to get them more in return than the initial investment for the portal. ArenaNet knows this and is waiting for people to find something worth said investment.

yet another one that read the tittle and decided that was enough to post. Just move along guys, move along, nothing to read here.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Omg, finally this game has become P2Win. Now people can buy gems for real money and convert into gold and make the new portal so they can complete JP’s easier and juke mobs.

I wonder what’s next…

Viking Jorun.5413

Omg, finally this game has become P2Win. Now people can buy gems for real money and convert into gold and make the new portal so they can complete JP’s easier and juke mobs.

I wonder what’s next…

They aren’t useable in jumping puzzles either.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

I wonder what’s next…

Sarcasm… But they really ain’t? That would be the single reason I would even considering craft one if I was struggling with a JP.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

If these things are not useable in the JP, what good are they then?

And if these things are not good for anything in the areas they are allowed to be used in, then why should a class get a trait or skill to bump up swiftness just because someone can craft this useless pice of junk?

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: FXHell.3217

FXHell.3217

I agree that mesmers should have more sources for swiftness or increased movement speed (in WvW).

- with my Warrior or Thief… no comment, i can outrun everything, escape everything and so on. No discussion for me here.

- on my Guardian i have always equipped “retreat”, sometimes playing with staff (symbol of swiftness), or i also use my Greatsword skills for faster movement (leap of faith). There’s always a good source for faster movement with good duration and CD’s.

- with my Necro (haven’t played him a while) i’ve also had always a good source (25% signet), spectral walk (30 secs or so!!!) or used a horn. Always good speed for long duration.

My Mesmer (my main)… has effectively NOTHING… so what i did: Used Runes of Centaur on my Power-Build Setup. That’s the best source of swiftness a Mesmer can get, but you always have to activate your healskill for that (Not that big problem). The bigger problem: it’s only useable on Power Builds. The other source is focus, but switching weapons is not an option for me. You’ll often get infight with wrong weapon setup.

So, i play mainly a Condition mesmer and yeah… compared to nearly all other classes i feel like a snail… if there is no mate who grants you swiftness… OMG… put autorun on and go afk..

So, here are my suggestions:

1) ADD A NEW RUNE, conditon rune with swiftness on healing, like the Centaur Rune, just for conditon setups.

2) Add a new skilltree in the WvW-Rank XP System for increased speed in WvW. 5 Tiers (5% / 10%/ 15%/ 20%/ 25%). Everyone would benefit from that, but this would also make some signets useless in WvW f. ex.

3) Maybe give Chaos Armor guaranteed swiftness with good duration. If you don’t like it, maybe make it an out-of-combat skill…

I don’t want something to make Mesmer OP or bla bla bla, just getting around a little bit faster in WvW. (Condition) Mesmer is really slow.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

3) Maybe give Chaos Armor guaranteed swiftness with good duration. If you don’t like it, maybe make it an out-of-combat skill…

I’d say make SoI just give 25% movespeed out of combat instead of continuing to grant usekitten ons. In-combat function as it does now.

Viking Jorun.5413

I wonder what’s next…

Sarcasm… But they really ain’t? That would be the single reason I would even considering craft one if I was struggling with a JP.

Nope.. That’s why nobody’s using them other than for expensive kittens and giggles.

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

I dont know about engis, dont play them nor ever seen them.

Engy can use a single Adept Major trait to get perma swiftness. They don’t have much of anything else that helps them move faster, but 100% uptime is 100% uptime, which is a hell of a lot better than what Mesmer gets.

100% uptime if you run kits, which pretty much negates all elixir builds, turret builds and gadget builds. Because thats the requirement on that trait- that you are wearing a kit for the movement speed increase.

So, 100% uptime for only a percentage of the population? Awesome.

Well, to be fair, it’s a pretty large portion of the engineer population if the engineer forums are anything to go by. Or if seeing other engineers in action is anything to go by.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

I think it’s because of the concept that mesmers are duelists – adding more mobility to them makes them become highly mobile scouts in WvW, where you can tag along a thief/mes running both speed signets and the mes buffing swiftness (thief can be traited to give swift on steal, focus can give a one-time swiftness boost), allowing the availability of the portal-bombing tactic effectively.

IMO, the mesmer sacrifices traversing speed for the advantage of being able to outmatch opponents on 1v1s.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I think the mesmer has enough access to swiftness and movement buffs available to cover large distances during map completion. I think that is your main point of concern and you see the difficulty in balancing this with your great movement speed while in combat.

First of all, i dont see where your price tag of 15G for a rune set comes from.

Runes of Speed and the Scavenger Set both give you 5% passive movement speed as 6th bonus, the Speed Rune set additionally give you the chance to get swiftness on hit in combat plus swiftness duration, the Scavenger rune set adds magic find.
They cost 25s/1G on the trtading post right now.

The passive movement buff can also be increased with consumables with speed boosters, hero banners etc. Granted, using those buffs is expensive but creating a portal device for other classes also is.

Even though its definatly easier for other classes to gain perma swiftness, they always lose combat viability as well, if they build for swiftness.

Same goes for mesmers. Your main source of swiftness while not in combat is the focus 4 skill which initially gives you 12s of swiftness every 25 seconds. if you want to use a different off hand in combat, just switch to focus after combat for swiftness.
This can be done without altering your build and nearly grants you 50% swiftness uptime over long distances.
As a warrior, I have to do the same. My warhorn doesnt really help me cleaving down mobs.

Getting perma swiftness with a focus seems pretty easy to me, even though that will force you to alternate your build (like any other class has to as well) and most certainly will result in lower dps or survivability. Its up to you, if those sacrifices will suit your goal. For example, you might be able to gain perma swiftness for running from point to point during map completion but you will lose time while killing mobs/completing hearts.

One thing you can do is trait for focus, resulting in 12s of swiftness every 20 seconds.
Then you can stack boon duration which is pretty easy to get.

Your cheapest option is food, Chocolate Omnomberry Cream, giving you 20% Boon Duration, also adding 40% magic find under the influence of a boon.

Traiting 30 into Chaos will add another 30% Boon Duration. Depending on what build you use for map completion, this might mean you have to sacrifice quite some dps.

From Runes you can get 40% boon duration or you just go with the Rune of Speed, that adds 20% Swiftness duration as well as the 5% permanent movement speed.

With givers armor and snowflake trinkets you can achieve 106% Boon duration if you wanted to but as this gear is quite expensive and the stats propably not desireable, i will ignore that in my calculation.

So with food, traits and gear you can get 90% Boon Duration pretty easily and cheap.

With focus 4, that will mean over 90% swiftness uptime out of combat.

If you trait for focus, you will only need 66% Boon Duration to get perma swiftness, giving you some room in chosing your runeset or deciding how deep you want to trait into Chaos.

Problem solved?

I dont think they will ever give mesmers a 25% movement speed signet simply because it would be too imbalanced in wvw.

The only way i could maybe see this implemented is by only granting the speed bonus out of combat and it not being able to slot in conjunction with Portal, meaning it would have to be an elite skill and moving Portal from Utility to Elite as well.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.