OK well here goes anyway.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

I thought I’d post this just because maybe the devs will listen. There’s a lot to like about GW2. And I feel that trying the idea of no tank / healer / dps specific roles was worth a try. But, I’ve concluded it doesn’t work – at least the way it’s implemented here.

The problem now is on these larger bosses, without the traditional MMO roles, the gameplay is even more limiting than with the tank / healer / dps roles. Ultimately what ends up happening on just about all of these larger boss fights is the same thing – ranged DPS and a lot of kiting. Melee DPS is punished more severely in this game than any other I’ve played – and I’ve played an awful lot. Yeah, melee does a lot of DPS for the very limited time that melee DPS is actually alive.

But the problem isn’t the removal of roles though. The problem is the rest of the game is created as if those roles were in place. The first time I played GW2 I was ok with what AN tried to do. But I left and returned and the limitations of this game were more pronounced. Of course, all this is my opinion.

So my suggestion for whenever, a patch, GW3, I don’t know. You cannot simplify the roles, talents and abilities at the same time. Jack of all trades doesn’t work when the game forces you to try and be a master of one – ranged DPS.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Seeing something like this makes me sad. You aren’t supposed to become a “master” of ranged DPS…you are supposed to learn how to deal the best damage while overcoming the risks (so melee DPS except some rare exceptions).

You aren’t supposed to range forever because you can’t understand the boss’ attacks. You have to learn the patterns so you can move out/dodge at the correct time.

It reminds me of Golem Mark II where people sit on the boxes and throw rocks at the boss because they can’t comprehend something as simple as the lightning grid.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

You might be off with the ranged/melee thing, because if you know to read the bosses you can simply melee dps them down.

You are right with the fact, that this game has the most boring and unispired boss fights I have ever seen in any MMO. They feel all the same, because the bosses all act random, you cannot control the fight.

It is just always a dps/dodge race. The holy trinity just became the holy entity of DPS.

Booooooooooooring.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

Funny,

- 1st it was: a.net please do something about melee dps predominance I want to play ranged dps to, blah blah blah blah.
- Now it’s: a.net please do something about ranged dps predominance I wanna play melee dps to, blah blah blah blah.
- a.net please there are no roles do something about it.

How about:

- Learn the way it’s meant to be played.
- risk vs reward, melee vs ranged.
- yes, there are roles but you gotta crawl out of the holy trinity mentality to discover them.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

because the bosses all act random, you cannot control the fight.

Funny you should mention that.

what was always boring to me in holy trinity is how you always knew what the boss was gonna do (highly scripted fights) and even if it did something unexpected you had the braindead threat generation skills of the tank to draw all attention to himself.

I highlighted the word random in your post because this is what makes boss fights interesting in gw2 you cannot control the boss that in my book is a plus point sir.

Holy trinity:

Thief is destroying the boss from behind but the boss doesn’t pay any attention to him he just keeps pounding the meat shield gorilla screaming in front of him (aka threat generating skills)

Gw2:

the boss will decide who to attack and who to ignore based on rules we do not yet understand, it may choose to attack the highest damage dealer in the group or the one with less armor, simply screaming in the boss’s face aka threat generation gets you no where since there is no such kitten stupid skills in gw2.

I welcome this randomness in place of boring holy trinity combat where nothing unexpected that is not written into the highly scripted boss fight ever happens.

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Might I suggest to read this guide and watch all 3 videos?

GW2 Combat System 101:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/GW2-Combat-system-101-Guide/page/4#post3728711

Always better to learn to play than sit and complain. =)

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

Melee DPS is punished more severely in this game than any other I’ve played – and I’ve played an awful lot. Yeah, melee does a lot of DPS for the very limited time that melee DPS is actually alive.

Just learn to dodge. There, now Melee DPS is far superior to Ranged DPS.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

While melee DPS is far superior to ranged DPS and everything the OP said was his inability to dodge, I think there is a fair point about the lack of a holy trinity. There are several players who enjoy the Monk/Cleric/Support role that finds little use in GW2 except maybe a few shouts on warrior or guardian while not bringing nearly as much as they would like to the table. It’s not a matter of “learning to play the game” when the roles are broken down into DPS and how to best support that DPS – usually via more DPS. The lack of support roles in this game really drives away a chunk of the playerbase.