OMG 10,000 Gold for a Chak Egg Sac WTF

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Luxious.3725

Luxious.3725

Sorry guys but nooby here, but i seen all the auras and then when i saw the price of the chak egg sac im like…… Dude WTF where do you even get that type of Gold from?? That is insane grind or gems or something but i just wanna say who ever thought to put 10,000 Gold for this thing is nuts and what even is the Kitten drop %?? cause this is just oo insane for me

Attachments:

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s been like that for over a year.

It’s selling for that much as people are actually willing to pay for it and some pay much more through trades.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Really? I have 5 of them.

Just kidding. lol.

They’re vanity item to show off and to have something that very few people have or can afford. I expect every game has at least one item that’s really high priced.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

10k gold isn’t THAT much. The average account value on gw2effeciency is like 22k, (which admittedly includes skins, but some people are going to have way more than the average.) We just usually spend it before we can hoard that much. If I hadn’t gradually blow tons of gold on 4 legendaries I’d have well over 10k.

Edit: I just looked at my liquid gold amount and it’s nearly 4k. I bet most people are similar, we hoard tons of mats or whatever.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It doesn’t take as long as people think to accumulate 10k gold. What’s hard is saving it to spend on a single item.

Some people have 10k to spend because they got lucky. Some are savvy investors, speculators, or flippers. Some are incredibly efficient at farming. But what they all have in common: they spend less than they earn.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Shaman.4513

Shaman.4513

its because the drop rate is unbelievably low. near null.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The actual value is even above 10k gold, it’s only that the maximum is 10k gold on the TP.

As others have mentioned, it’s a vanity item and has a near 0 drop rate.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

There’s been a crazy insane amount of inflation in this game for a long time now directly due to the outside influx of currency. It’s been written about on several gaming websites.

Economically currency is being magically created from outside of the economy by the use of the gems into gold system. That’s not even the worst price I’ve seen honestly.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

/facepalm
Gems-to-Gold conversion does not create gold. You get gold someone else has payed for gems. The trade of gold-gems-gold destroys gold (since you get less gold for the gems than it costs gold to buy the same amount of gems), just like selling materials on the TP destroys gold.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

There’s been a crazy insane amount of inflation in this game for a long time now directly due to the outside influx of currency. It’s been written about on several gaming websites.

Economically currency is being magically created from outside of the economy by the use of the gems into gold system. That’s not even the worst price I’ve seen honestly.

A.) the Chack egg sack has been this expensive for a very long time. To argue this is due to inflation will be difficult to prove.

B.) the gold-gem and gem-gold conversion does not create or increase gold ingame. On the contrary. While it does redistribute gold which can lead to more active gold use, the total amount of gold certainly does not increase. The quite stable price of key items like ectos and legendarys also disprove the theory of inlfation happening.

Please link to some of those articles you mentioned, it would indeed be interesting to read what arguments the authors make and what data they use to justify their claims.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

To say a bit more, it’s players buying gold from other players and selling their gems to these players.

There are “pools” of gold and gems that players put gold and gems into. Player A buys gems with real money and put it on the gems pool and pulls out gold. Player B has gold and wants gems so player B puts the gold in the gold pool and pulls out gems. It’s selling gems/gold to players but it’s indirect. The gold and gems go into the pool instead of a direct 1 to 1 sale.

And also. I would like to see those sources because they directly contradict what ANet said before launch.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In fact, there’s been hardly any “inflation” of the sort that plagues many online games. When you control for changes in demand (or supply) due to game updates, the price for staples has been remarkably stable. Ecto, which is a primary factor in the price of rares & exotics, has stayed within the same monthly variance for years (exceptions: the rise & fall of AB multiloot). Leather got pricier, but that can be (and has been) attributed to the change in demand due to recipe changes. Tradeable legendary weapons are somewhat cheaper, as are some low drop rate shinies.

The gold:gem ratio has gone up, but much of that increase can be attributed to changes in the gem shop and to the numbers of players that can afford to convert gold to gems. It’s also been remarkably stable, outside of outside factors, such as linked worlds for WvW (which allow richer guilds to move en masse to allied worlds, when their target match world is full).

In other words, in this game, items with amazingly high prices are always those with tiny drop rates and some notable reason to covet them over others. It’s not due to inflation.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Theres very little inflation in this game, mainly due to the TP sucking gold out of the game everytime something is sold.
Its an extremely effective method and works very well.
Very high prices for a small number of items is not inflation.
Inflation drives up the prices of everything.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I wonder this always so called ‘you buy gems back with gold which others bought with real money etc. So there should be a limited amount of gems. But I never see it to happen. I can hardly imagine that there is a limit where they tell a willing player who wants to buy gems with real money ’sorry dude, we are out of gems’.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I wonder this always so called ‘you buy gems back with gold which others bought with real money etc. So there should be a limited amount of gems. But I never see it to happen. I can hardly imagine that there is a limit where they tell a willing player who wants to buy gems with real money ’sorry dude, we are out of gems’.

Unless there are always people willing to sell gems they bought with cash to people who want to pay with gold. Fewer people likely farm gold, compared to the number of people who buy gems to sell, that’s my guess.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The exchange doesn’t affect a player’s ability to buy items with gems purchased with real world currency. What gems that are in the exchange are those that were traded in for gold.

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

You’ve got things mixed up and reversed…

Gems bought with real money are an unlimited supply as RL currency is being spent on a Digital Currency, it’s a direct exchange.

Gems bought with in-game Gold are a limited supply, limited by the number of players selling Gems for in-game Gold. On the same token, in-game Gold is a limited supply on the Gem exchange, limited by the number of players buying Gems with in-game Gold.

If at some point there are no players buying Gems with in-game Gold then the players who are attempting to buy in-game Gold with Gems will find their Gems are not selling. Similarly, if the reverse happens and no one is selling Gems for in-game Gold then players attempting to buy Gems for in-game Gold will be unable to buy Gems until someone sells some.

And as pointed out, this does not add to inflation, and due to the fact that Gems sell for less gold than they buy for the exchange functions as a gold sink. Theoretically the excess gold from gem sales could be used as a buffer to allow for Gems to continue to be sold for a while after players stop buying gems with gold, which let’s be honest here will never happen. It also could provide a buffer for if someone were to buy an absolutely massive quantity of gems and sell them all at once filling all active orders for gems and more.

This basically means that the Gold Pool on the Gem Exchange is always growing in size, while the Gem Pool has fluctuations but generally remains around the same size.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

(edited by Panda.1967)