Obsidian Sanctum

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

I make this post every so often to keep the issue in the light. Obsidian Sanctum was my, and many others, favorite place in the game to PvP for a long time. I spent countless hours there holding blockades while people called out their guilds to try and push through, doing the same while trying to push past other people’s blockades, helping new people through the puzzle, porting people to the end for tips, participating in massive melees right at the spawn, etc. It was a truly unique and amazing form of PvP, which is now sadly gone because of the constant nerfs to OS. Here are my suggestions to bring life back to this forgotten gem, in order of importance.

1. Make OS cross-server, like EotM
  2. Bring back loot bags for killing players, but with diminishing returns (no loot after you’ve killed a player X times), and make these kills not add to your WvW kill count.
  3. Make the reward at the end better, world boss or Teq level at least, make it something fun to be done daily.

Feel free to add your own suggestions, and lets hope for a Anet response on this issue

Attachments:

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Constant nerfs to Obsidian Sanctum?
Genuinely curious… what have they nerfed there?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Still in favor for #1.

Worried about the farming possibilities of #2

neutral on #3.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

About point 2, no more loot bags after being killed X number of times.

What about farming loot bags and those with multiple level 80s? I currently have 9 level 80s and with the Revenant I’ll have 10. There are people with more than that. What’s to stop someone from hitting the limit and switching to another level 80, rinse and repeat till they’ve cycled all their 80s through.

if you add in my non level 80s on my main account and all the chars on my 3 alt accounts, I could cycle them through also and take turns with someone else to farm loot bags by “you kill me then I kill you.” There is one guy that posts on this forum that has 30 accounts. If he even has just level 5 level 2s per account he could do a lot of loot bag farming per day.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

No Walking.6349

They removed it from WvW map chat
They nerfed loot bags
They nerfed the reward

This caused it to go from a bustling area where many regulars played, to a wasteland.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

No Walking.6349

What about farming loot bags and those with multiple level 80s? I currently have 9 level 80s and with the Revenant I’ll have 10. There are people with more than that. What’s to stop someone from hitting the limit and switching to another level 80, rinse and repeat till they’ve cycled all their 80s through.

if you add in my non level 80s on my main account and all the chars on my 3 alt accounts, I could cycle them through also and take turns with someone else to farm loot bags by “you kill me then I kill you.” There is one guy that posts on this forum that has 30 accounts. If he even has just level 5 level 2s per account he could do a lot of loot bag farming per day.

That’s a hell of a lot of work to farm kills… I think that concern is a bit unrealistic.

Even so there’s a simple fix, make the diminishing returns apply to your account name, not the character name, easy fix. Even if that’s not possible, make each person you kill drop only 1 loot bag per day, even if you have 30 toons that wouldn’t be worth the time.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

ahem… they did this for the Arena… The benefit FAR outweighs the cost IMO…

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s a hell of a lot of work to farm kills… I think that concern is a bit unrealistic.

Even so there’s a simple fix, make the diminishing returns apply to your account name, not the character name, easy fix. Even if that’s not possible, make each person you kill drop only 1 loot bag per day, even if you have 30 toons that wouldn’t be worth the time.

If people don’t get loot then they stop playing an area. They’ve shown that again and again. Low loot areas are abandoned and high loot areas are busy. If there is only one bag per char per account per day then people will stop going there to have the big fights because after one kill that person isn’t “worth” killing again. Just like they stopped going when ANet nerfed the loot because people were farming each other in there.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Yeah, I did never really understand why they made changes to it… it was good. Oke, I can understand that there was a small problem because OS counted as the players of EB, but still, back then it was a really fun map, I also liked that you could place siege inside, that added to the challenge.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: illenos.5134

illenos.5134

OS should stay as it is right now. You’ve got a place for duels and GvGs where nobody can troll you with siege and you are not taking up space on an actual WvW map.

Placing siege and defending the OS was awesome but those days are gone. Most of the players who did this to have some fun are gone. Now they would just killtrade all day long.

Awwdorable – roaming princess, awesome qq’er,
incredible flamer, part-time forum warrior, salty as
kitten!

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Jay.7546

Jay.7546

I must of missed OS as being a place that WvWers would go outside of the GvGer or to troll people trying to do the jumping puzzle. No one I’ve run with in any guild even talked about OS. I feel like I missed something but as for map chat comments about OS the only thing I ever saw was when a guild would leave a big fight in WvW to GvG and leave us short handed.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

They removed it from WvW map chat
They nerfed loot bags
They nerfed the reward

This caused it to go from a bustling area where many regulars played, to a wasteland.

You have to thank Malekittenus and friends for these nerfs as they use OS as a farmspot for the ultimate dominator title.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Angel.6085

Angel.6085

I could see making it cross server like EoTM, but only after HoT/Guild Halls. GvG would be really difficult to coordinate there if you had to somehow try to get the same IP for opposing parties. The other points are kind of asinine to me.

YB>DB>BG>SOR>TC>BG>FA>DB>SOS>BP Guardian
Formerly [rB], [OPED], [Choo]
Guild Leader [DN] Digital Nemesis

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: NeroBoron.7285

NeroBoron.7285

I totally would like too see a better reward from the end chest. Like 2 superior blueprints. That would make it more interesting for wvw players to do that daily, and we would save some money on blueprints then

A better reward alreay would pull more players in.

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

I could see making it cross server like EoTM, but only after HoT/Guild Halls. GvG would be really difficult to coordinate there if you had to somehow try to get the same IP for opposing parties. The other points are kind of asinine to me.

Afaik you can party up with “enemy” players (see organized eotm farms), then you can join the enemy player’s overflow (see organized eotm farms) and pull your whole guild there fast.
For the ppl watching, it would be harder, true.
I still believe that the gvg scene would be grateful for it, they could gvg guilds not near their glicko.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Obsidian Sanctum

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

All the need to do is add districts to OS like they had in GW1, GvG happening in District 1 ? NP go to District 2 and so on and so forth. Let people choose the district they want, in time players will label districts, 3 would become known for duels, 1 would be known for official GvG’s, 2 for scrims, ect ect ect. Of course making it cross server would be good as well.

You need to remember Anet makes a big chunk of change off of full guild transfers, some use gold but there is always some that buy gems. There really wouldn’t be a need for transfers for guilds if this was put in so I don’t see it happening.