Obsidian Sanctum friendliness

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure Moonfire.7493

Azure Moonfire.7493

I was in Obsidian Sanctum, in the starting area, when I ran into an Asura from Crystal Desert (I’m from Sanctum of Rall). She (referring to the character’s gender; I have no idea what the gender of the player was) just waved and sat down. She was joined by a norn, also from Crystal desert, and all they did was sit for awhile, dance, and just basically hang out for a few minutes. I dueled with one of them (bowing first, of course), she won, but didn’t finish me and let me rally. Afterward, I put out a box of fun, but sadly, it didn’t work for some reason (unusable by “enemies?”) so I shrugged, we stood around for a bit, and they waved goodbye before proceeding to the jumping puzzle.

I just thought that was really cool. We could have attacked each other at any moment, but they were pretty chill. Anyone else have an experience like this in WvW jumping puzzle areas? I think it’s really neat how people who are branded “enemies” by the game, and can’t communicate with each other besides emotes, would choose to be nice instead of troll, since they were all just here for the puzzle anyway. Restores a little bit of faith in humanity, if I may say so.

Also, if you were recently playing an Asura (thief? I forget) or a Norn Mesmer, and remember a Sylvari Elementalist in Legacy armor with purple leaf-hair that you interacted with as described above, I’d love to hear from you. I enjoyed our brief encounter.

(edited by Azure Moonfire.7493)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve had similar experiences in the puzzle. Even had people from all 3 servers cheering whenever someone got to the end.

One of the things I like about this game is that unless you’re in a PvP match or WvW you never have to worry about another player trying to kill you, and on those maps it’s very clear who your allies and enemies are. But occasionally it’s really nice to know someone has the option to kill you and has chosen not to.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Really great post. Loved it.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Hahaha, no. Any time they see my Staff Elementalist, they basically broadcast a “Kill on sight” message to everyone on their server. I ran into a zerg and tried to wave to them. I succeeded in waving for about 2 seconds before the commander locked onto me and I was insta-killed.

And if I don’t get killed by a mindless zerg, I am killed by a bearbow ranger that finds it funny to launch me off of high places using pointblank shot.

Not once have I had a friendly encounter in that Ranger-infested hellhole.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

We had an all-german matchup before the arena got implemented. Instead of fighting in the sanctum, we were trading blueprints.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

They should add a non – hostile mode, similiar to the “Away/Online/Invisible Statue” window. This would put a white dot above your character designating yourself a non threat.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

They should add a non – hostile mode, similiar to the “Away/Online/Invisible Statue” window. This would put a white dot above your character designating yourself a non threat.

I think this would be exploited.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This happens all the time.

I’ve even helped “enemies” do the puzzle by showing them where to go.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: rgraze.5169

rgraze.5169

This is good to hear. I was expecting the usual, I waved and got killed post. Wish more people were friendly in there.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I wish more people were like this.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I was in Obsidian Sanctum, in the starting area, when I ran into an Asura from Crystal Desert (I’m from Sanctum of Rall). She (referring to the character’s gender; I have no idea what the gender of the player was) just waved and sat down. She was joined by a norn, also from Crystal desert, and all they did was sit for awhile, dance, and just basically hang out for a few minutes. I dueled with one of them (bowing first, of course), she won, but didn’t finish me and let me rally. Afterward, I put out a box of fun, but sadly, it didn’t work for some reason (unusable by “enemies?”) so I shrugged, we stood around for a bit, and they waved goodbye before proceeding to the jumping puzzle.

I just thought that was really cool. We could have attacked each other at any moment, but they were pretty chill. Anyone else have an experience like this in WvW jumping puzzle areas? I think it’s really neat how people who are branded “enemies” by the game, and can’t communicate with each other besides emotes, would choose to be nice instead of troll, since they were all just here for the puzzle anyway. Restores a little bit of faith in humanity, if I may say so.

Also, if you were recently playing an Asura (thief? I forget) or a Norn Mesmer, and remember a Sylvari Elementalist in Legacy armor with purple leaf-hair that you interacted with as described above, I’d love to hear from you. I enjoyed our brief encounter.

I’ve had similar experiences in the puzzle. Even had people from all 3 servers cheering whenever someone got to the end.
One of the things I like about this game is that unless you’re in a PvP match or WvW you never have to worry about another player trying to kill you, and on those maps it’s very clear who your allies and enemies are. But occasionally it’s really nice to know someone has the option to kill you and has chosen not to.
Danielle Aurorel, Destinyedge [EDGE] on Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Never had this happen but wished it would even if it was an occasional thing. It would be great to have one day a week out of each match (say mid week match Monday or Tuesday) where the JP become non-combatant by agreement except for mutual 1vs1 duels. Unfortunately the trolls would ruin it for everyone….

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Yeah I recently had the same thing happen to me and I’m terrible at jumping puzzles. It said a lot to me that someone from another server would help me complete the OS jumping puzzle without being able to communicate a word. That right there is the universal language that games speak in, when you can be a such a decent person to a stranger, and how you can really brighten someone’s day though the both of you are pretty close to anonymous.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I’ve had experiences like this but what got me posting was how attacking an enemy player in a PvP environment is defined as “trolling” in your post and apparently is regarded as something despicable by many other posters.

Mmmh.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

If there was a mutually agreed upon day of hiatus then yes, anyone attacking would be a troll at that point. Otherwise what you say is true. It is a dog-eat-dog area.

Azure Moonfire.7493

I think this would be exploited.

Depends on how it was implemented. If it were only useable in the actual JP area, and it both made you immune to damage and unable to enter combat yourself, it could work. Especially if it wouldn’t let you leave the mode until you exited the puzzle area.

To those who have had only/mostly bad experiences in OS: I’m honestly very sorry to hear that. I do wish more people were friendly, but there will always be some bad apples.

To those who have had similar experiences: Isn’t it great? While I certainly don’t advocate for the game to allow PK-ing in PvE zones or anything, friendliness and cooperation seem to mean even more when people could attack, but choose not to, as Danikat said. For that reason, I’m actually kind of glad places like OS exist, although I do like the suggestion of making it non-hostile one day per week. It would certainly make it less obnoxious to get the achievement if you’re having troll problems.

Azure Moonfire.7493

I’ve had experiences like this but what got me posting was how attacking an enemy player in a PvP environment is defined as “trolling” in your post and apparently is regarded as something despicable by many other posters.

Mmmh.

Well, it’s not “despicable,” and to be honest I can’t really blame them for it, because the game was built to allow it to happen. I know that it’s not inappropriate behavior, it just feels very un-sportsmanly (particularly when killing players who are almost to the end of the puzzle and just want the dang achievement) to me. However, I don’t get too mad when someone does attack me because, as you say, it is a PvP area.

However, the fact that it’s an area pretty much dedicated to a JP, and most people just want to do the puzzle and mean you no harm, it feels somehow “wrong” to attack them.

I dunno, maybe I’m too soft-hearted. Regarldess, you speak the truth; it is a PvP area, and I don’t hate anyone who attacks me there.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Mmmh.

There’s a difference between attacking enemy players, and camping at a spot that makes it absolutely impossible for other players to complete the jumping puzzle, just for the sake of not letting them complete it.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Hah! I just went in to help some people enemies / allies.

I got to cheer on 3 thieves and 1 up level warrior before a troll came up and killed me.

Needless to say, I went back up and back stabbed the death out of him till he did /cry

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Mmmh.

There’s a difference between attacking enemy players, and camping at a spot that makes it absolutely impossible for other players to complete the jumping puzzle, just for the sake of not letting them complete it.

And where there’s an informal peace between servers in JP (it often is, unless whole zergs or gankers get involved), deliberately attacking people from other servers in order to push them into retaliating and wiping out your allies (yes, i have seen that happen several times. I have even heard people gloating about it) is definitely trolling.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I think the problem is that almost the entirety of GW2 is built with the idea of lessening or outright eliminating the possibility of other players interfering with your experience. The looting and tagging systems come to mind, for example. This attracts certain kind of players that then find the rules completely flipped in OS, a place where people are even encouraged to “troll” (the traps were put there for a reason).

The end product is a clash of gaming styles. For example I used to run OS with a friend attacking any enemy on-sight and we had the most fun when we met like-minded people that fought back. Yet I can sympathyze with that guy who just wanted to complete it once and never set foot there again. But how am I supposed to know when the game doesn’t even allow you to communicate properly? I’ll just go with the rules Arenanet set, and gosh attack players in a place made for attacking players. Besides I’ve let “friendly” people go by only for them to turn against me once they had enough numbers so yeah, call me a troll and lose your faith in humanity.

@Windu: why do you think Arenanet put plenty of traps in there?

Disclaimer:
I’ve run OS like a grand total of 10 times since launch so the issue doesn’t really concern me. I’ve both helped enemies and mercilessly killed them multiple times, so I don’t stand on any side of the fence. I’m only posting because I don’t like the demonization of players with different gaming tastes. That, and because I’m insomniac.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Azure Moonfire.7493

But how am I supposed to know when the game doesn’t even allow you to communicate properly?

Waving seems to be the relatively universal medium for conveying non-hostility. I wave at “enemies” and if they wave back, I know they’re probably not going to attack. It’s not foolproof, of course, because yeah, someone could turn on you later, but it’s at least something.

Anyway, like I said before, even if I don’t like it, I don’t hate people who attack me in OS for the most part, so you can go on attacking people if you like and I won’t begrudge you for it. I’ve given my reasons for disliking it, and you may consider them if you like or ignore them.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

[…]I think it’s really neat how people who are branded “enemies” by the game, and can’t communicate with each other besides emotes […]

just join their group and you can communicate as much as you want with them

[…] It said a lot to me that someone from another server would help me complete the OS jumping puzzle without being able to communicate a word. That right there is the universal language that games speak in, when you can be a such a decent person to a stranger, and how you can really brighten someone’s day though the both of you are pretty close to anonymous.

just join their group then you arent anonymous anymore and you can communicate as much as you want with them

[…]
But how am I supposed to know when the game doesn’t even allow you to communicate properly?
[…]

the game DOES allow you to communicate properly
just join their group and you can talk as much as you want with them

if these people want to talk to you too then they will accept…

i really wonder why people still dont know that this option exists after over 1.5 years in the game^^

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

I was at the race track the other day and I brought a Toyota corolla with 3 wheels. Then this Lamborghini pulled up next to me and slowed down, turned on his hazard lights and placed some cones down to let everyone else racing know that we were stopped in the middle of the track, he offered to put on of his wheels on my car for me and we even had a snack and conversation. After that he proceeded to go no more that 30 mph so that I could stay close throughout the rest of the race. I wish every race I enter can be like this

Posted by: TheBandicoot.5294

TheBandicoot.5294

Laughable. There is no such thing as Obsidian Sanctum friendliness. Because every server has their ganking portion.

Since most of those ganking guilds / groups are barely a threat when they have to carry their own weight solo against me, i can´t help myself but feeling somewhat angry. Such cowards do not deserve to stay alive, they do not deserve to get kills. they basicly just win by outmanning, and that doesnt require any skill, which should be the only thing deciding win or loss in a battle.

So once anyone from server X attacks me, i attack back. And if its a group, then – well, then noone from that server will get to the chest without me trying to stop them, as long as i am inside Obsidian Sanctum.

I do love those friendly matings, but you cannot know if one of them is a traitor. Thus at least every mesmer will have to die, otherwise they can call in a whole army.

Say no to ganking and get skills in solo combat!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I was at the race track the other day and I brought a Toyota corolla with 3 wheels. Then this Lamborghini pulled up next to me and slowed down, turned on his hazard lights and placed some cones down to let everyone else racing know that we were stopped in the middle of the track, he offered to put on of his wheels on my car for me and we even had a snack and conversation. After that he proceeded to go no more that 30 mph so that I could stay close throughout the rest of the race. I wish every race I enter can be like this

Not sure what you try to compare this to, but definitely not the Obsidian Sanctum.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: slothaid.2061

slothaid.2061

I tend to have the same experience whenever I’m in Obsidian Sanctum – the only time I’ve ever encountered anyone hostile was at the very beginning when you occasionally have people sitting poaching players as they arrive. I’ve never had anyone attack me during the puzzle, although, I’ve also never had anyone interact with me at all either – no emotes, nothing – we just tend to continue on ignoring each other.

Posted by: Maethril.9586

Maethril.9586

I think it’s really neat how people who are branded “enemies” by the game, and can’t communicate with each other besides emotes, would choose to be nice instead of troll, since they were all just here for the puzzle anyway. Restores a little bit of faith in humanity, if I may say so.

Actually it’s possible (or at least was when I was still playing) to talk with enemies in WvW etc. Just target enemy and write /invite.
Or other way is clicking on the picture of the target character, his/her name will be added to the party request in the social tab. It should show up as “Green/Blue/Red invader” but still sends invite to right person.
I used it a lot when I had fun & good “duels” with enemies and usually thanked them for good match and talked for while just to chance pace.
Or if we were just chilling and eating popcorn while watching main zergs killing each others in the distance and making bets how it goes. :P

Made couple “friends” even in other servers that way.

Don’t know if it’s still possible though, haven’t touched this almost for half year.

Lvl 80 Warrior – Ranger – Thief – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian.
Switched Anet to Square E and haven’t regretted it even once.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

When it comes to EB and the homelands, I consider anything fair game. But for JPs, I dunno I find its more of a morality thing.
They don’t really gain any benefit for their server for doing the JPs, plus a few spots on them are a pain in the butt without attackers to begin with, for that I usually sympathize.

When I first went there, I was attacked. Made me very cautious and aggressive to a few that got close after that. After a while, I got a bit more lax. I still keep my eye out for any potential aggressors, but its usually easy to tell those who want to kill and those just wanting to tag it off.

Gotta say though, it’s pretty satisfying killing attackers who fail to gank you. Lovely retribution.

Duty is heavier than death.