Obtaining pvp exotics vs obtaining pve exotics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shieldbreaker.4012

Shieldbreaker.4012

To quote today’s patch notes:
2) Dungeons reward 20 tokens for completion and now reward an additional 40 tokens for the first time they are completed each day. This means that if players can complete all 3 chains of a dungeon in a day, they’ll receive a total of 180 tokens, which is enough to purchase some of the smaller rewards.

Let’s say you get through a chain in a whopping 2 hours. You complete all three chains in 6 hours. I’m guessing high on this. So, you can get a piece of exotic gear every day, at least one of the smaller pieces. GREAT! That’s awesome and I like it.

So why are people who want the power/toughness/vitality gear penalized? You can’t get exotics with those stats anywhere except from the vendor in WvW in trade for Badges of Honor. Even the cheapest exotic piece is around 300 badges. The consensus I’ve seen on the forums is they seem to be dropping at a rate of about 1 per 5 kills. So to get gear in even somewhat equal time, you’d be looking at knocking out 1500 kills in 6 hours (250/hr), without missing a single loot bag.

For starters, nobody is such a pvp god that they’re getting 250 kills per hour, every hour played. Then there’s a variety of things that are helpful that are helpful to your side winning, but not efficient in terms of getting those badges of honor. For example, running with a couple other people to sneak attack and take a supply camp. Helpful, but keeps you from getting gear. The most efficient method being staying with the zerg and aoeing. Don’t a ram, that’ll slow you down. Let some other poor schmuck do that.

That’s not even getting into the “I wonder how many bags of loot I missed today” issue, where they may be hard to get in a zerg vs zerg rush.

I played more hours than I’d care to admit in wvw the last few days. I’ve done useful things, getting supply camps, killing dolyaks transporting supplies, playing a mostly (not entirely) support role with my groups and making sure to heal, protect, and use my one ranged weapon to aoe and dps in between. I’ve amassed…less than 40 badges. You see, I strayed away from the zerg, which I’ve learned from and won’t be doing again. But what’s more, I have been a useful and productive player on the battlefield.

So why the huge disparity between exotics with power/tough/vit and every other available stat combo available in the game?

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I am not disagreeing with you on the exchange rate of badges and exotics. Especially since that it is harder to get badges nowadays and more so when your server is being crushed. There need to be better ways of getting badges or the price to be reduced considering its not a particularly good skin.

I would like to point out to you that that pow/vit/tough is available in the 42k karma set albeit incomplete. According to the wiki, it is also available as dungeon reward but i havn’t confirmed it myself.

Posted by: Imperial Thor.5487

Imperial Thor.5487

I am not 100% sure however I do believe the AC vendor sells those stats.. Should be the first sets. Just may want to remove the runes.

Posted by: Yasashiku.8275

Yasashiku.8275

Honor of the Waves has an armor set with those stats on it.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

One of the dungeon sets do have pow/vit/toughness

Posted by: Shieldbreaker.4012

Shieldbreaker.4012

Thanks for letting me know of those sets with that stat combo that are availble from dungeons, that’ll help a lot.

However, the other question of why does it take so long to get the pvp exotics from WvW is still out there. That remains an absurd grind.

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Sorrow’s Embrace also has Power/Vit/Tough

And yes, the way Badges of Honor work in WvW could be done better.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

Also, the Gates of Arah karma vendor in Cursed Shore has power/tough/vit exotic armor.

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Also, the Gates of Arah karma vendor in Cursed Shore has power/tough/vit exotic armor.

Only chest and legs. Melandru temple has a lot more. However, between all the karma vendors, you’ll still be short a helm.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

As pointed out, WvW run with the zerg, you’ll get there eventually. Or you can organize a group and grind the dungeons for ’em.

They didn’t say everything you might want to get will be quick and easy. What they said is that it’ll be grind-free to get 80 and decent gear.