Oceanic player, latency is too high

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ColdBlood.2503

ColdBlood.2503

As an Oceanic player, otherwise cool features like elemental crystals and gliding become headaches

hi friends, australian gw2 player since launch. really excited for heart of thorns.
however, I feel there is an issue that has been ignored by Arenanet. as the game grows, it becomes harder to justify not addressing it.

playes from oceania have a constant 200 latency if they are lucky

this makes dodge rolling very difficult to do, jumping puzzles harder than intended, timing reflects and stability hard and affects all aspects of play except solo. I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve made a jump in a JP only to lag backwards and fall to my death, or attempt to use an elemental crystal in Dry Top only to randomly go through terrain and again hit the ground.
you get hit by attacks that you very clearly dodged on your screen, which is deadly when facing mordremoth terragriffs. aegis becomes a “fingers crossed” moment in pvp, wvw can be a nightmare to figure out what’s going on as well as crowds spawn even later for us.

so I would like at least an acknowledgement from Anet about whether this problem can be solved, if they are looking into it, or if the community in oceania is too small to bother about (which, as I noted above, is becoming a redundant point). I would like to be able to explore the maguuma jungle on a glider without constantly overshooting or smacking into walls due to ping. thank you

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/39j8om/as_an_oceanic_player_otherwise_cool_features_like/

(edited by ColdBlood.2503)

Posted by: XIIIBlade.6574

XIIIBlade.6574

So agree (fingers off your keyboard English grammar police)…
I want to give this a thumbs up. Since I can’t find an icon for it, I hope this is sufficient-

up up down down left right left right A B select start

When you open your mouth, make sure you brushed your teeth.

ColdBlood.2503

i’ll go through and fix all grammar if that’s what people focus on. trying to get a message across. thanks blade

Posted by: Raina.8642

Raina.8642

The latency is due to the fact that the servers are housed in the US, and its a long way between Australia and the US. Unless dedicated Oceanic servers are released (which sadly will be quite quiet due to most players being US/EU and the Oceanic players will tend to flock to those servers to be with their friends) the latency won’t be disappearing and I doubt anet can do anything to remedy it much.

Having said that, I have consistent 3-400 ping, and I can still get up my reflects/aegis 99% of the time in pve as necessary.(Yup I am Aussie too)

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I play in Australia and over WiFi to boot. I do get quite a bit of lag, but there is really nothing ANet can do except install a server here and that is pretty non cost effective. It is the physical distance as much as anything else, so a server here may not even help much, since it would still have to talk to the other servers in the US.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

try Leatrix latency fix v3. might reduce latency a bit. work for me.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

Heimskarl – I feel your pain! Fellow Australian (well residing in Australia) and playing over Wifi. I have to admit I haven’t had too many issues with lag. I tend to turn off all other Wifi appliances when it gets too bad! Of course, when Telstra has a hissy fit I just turn off everything!

Anx

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m down in Tassie and I get latency sometimes too, particularly in the early evening hours, our prime time. It’s been worse since Netflix has opened up here. Apparently our Prime Minister things our internet speeds are fine and we don’t need an NBN.

Politics aside, I can time most dodges most of the time. The only things I’ve really had trouble with was stuff like Liadri (where positioning is massively important or you’re standing in a black hole) and the 3 lightning skill needed for stuff like Sanctum Sprint, which is at this time unplayable.

I don’t know that gliding is going to be that bad, because dodging isn’t that bad for me. Mostly I’m between 200 and 300 ping. You might get worse ping in rural areas, or at different times of day though.

Posted by: Skweak.7392

Skweak.7392

you get hit by attacks that you very clearly dodged on your screen

Even when there doesn’t seem to be much of a skill delay, this is so true. The best examples of this for me would be the shockwaves of Teq and the Molten Berserker, where you have to jump (or dodge) so early that your character lands right in the middle of them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

you get hit by attacks that you very clearly dodged on your screen

Even when there doesn’t seem to be much of a skill delay, this is so true. The best examples of this for me would be the shockwaves of Teq and the Molten Berserker, where you have to jump (or dodge) so early that your character lands right in the middle of them.

I’m able to jump those waves quite easily. The trick to doing it is to jump the front bottom of the way, not the top middle. If your time your jumps to the first line, you should be fine jumping them.

I just got the multiple berserker achievement in the fractals in fact.

Posted by: Susanoo.2586

Susanoo.2586

Very much agree with this post, being an Australian player in a guild of friends, many of us would be beyond happy to have 200 ping, though usually averaging around 500-800 at the best of times, It becomes quite infuriating.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I think I’ve been lucky. I’m just out of Sydney and even when I was using wifi I didn’t have many issues, except during evening train commuter peak time. PvE-wise anyway. I haven’t tried PvP from being burnt in other games by the distance tyrant so I don’t know how that would pan out.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: tertle.4621

tertle.4621

I had no issues with the gliders on beta as an Australian player (melbourne) but holy cow are the dry top + race crystals annoying, especially the purple. Some days I couldn’t land anywhere near where I wanted and would constantly fall to my death.

Jump pads are often kittened as well.

ColdBlood.2503

in heroes of the storm, americans and aussies can play together with aussies having significantly better ping. am unsure if it’s because of the vast infrastructure blizzard already have set up, but it seems likely there is a way to improve ping for people outside US and EU

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

We can explain our displeasure with the situation all we like, but the reality is that Anet sees this thread as nothing more than some people dissatisfied with another aspect of the game, which they believe is beyond their control.

It is within their control, however they won’t implement the hardware solution to fix it.

I get 300 ping at best nowadays, with the advent of the megaserver. Earlier I was getting 220-250, which is still high if you live in the US. It’s tolerable, but only for normal gameplay. Once you get into accelerated speeds like Sanctum Sprint lightning jump (#3 skill) or any type of fast movement, like running in Crab Toss, it rubberbands like crazy. The bottom line of this is that we can’t enjoy the game the way we want to, if we wanted to play a certain mode of gameplay that goes outside the ‘norm’. If this were to happen in the US, it would be unacceptable.

Sorry lads, we’re just living in the wrong country, and I’ve been advocating action for Aussie-based servers to happen since I talked to Gaile about it when I was playing GW1. Just be thankful we don’t have to talk to an EU server. >_<

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

I had no idea what my ping was until I had a peek…

Attachments:

Anx

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

So agree (fingers off your keyboard English grammar police)…
I want to give this a thumbs up. Since I can’t find an icon for it, I hope this is sufficient-

up up down down left right left right A B select start

u so cool !!! Grammar Police in the House Yo !

Posted by: Jai.3058

Jai.3058

+1000000000000000000000000000000000 I couldn’t agree more, especially bad lately. my ping can sit at around 400-600 and that’s average for me. 200-300 is good. though it will spike to 700-5k many times randomly through out the day.

Posted by: JaxomNC.5381

JaxomNC.5381

I live in New Caledonia, few hours on the eastern side of Australia and I get constant 350-450ms ping (with sometimes peaks at 800 or worse). Also NC is a French overseas territory so most of us tend to play on the EU FR servers even though we could get few less lag by playing on the US servers.

I am totally aware of the issues raised by the OP. Even though we managed to deal with JP, some achievements like finding all the coins in SW became quite frustrating due to the lack of precision in jumps. As far as activities are concerned, I myself posted issues about Sanctum Sprint that relate to that ; grabbing a keg or a crab in the related activity fails half of the time… Dodging sometimes remains is an issue in Fractals’ boss or puzzles and some large WB encounters. Casual PvP is Ok but high level ranked is out of the question because of the lag. WvW is ok for small to medium encounters ; large bus fights is usually a no no : you’re already dead before knowing it because of the latency during fights.

Yes, I expect gliding in HoT will require some adjustments but if there are any gliding related achievements or some adventure activities that requires second-level precision they’ll quickly turn into another /meh moment, making them quite frustrating to complete… or even participate.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I use battleping – helps a bit.

Helps a lot actually. Ping is not much better but there is no rubber banding whatsoever.

Highly, highly unlikely to get a local server guys.

Local servers/data centres in Australia are ridiculously expensive (compared to the rest of the world).

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Seriously, this should have been implemented at launch. China has it’s own servers. Why can’t we have OCX/SEA servers?

We’d only need 3. Hell you could split them into English and Non-English, same as Euoservers. I can’t imagine we’d need a huge data centre.

If ANet wants to push eSports they should be paying attention to stuff like this.

noice

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Seriously, this should have been implemented at launch. China has it’s own servers. Why can’t we have OCX/SEA servers?

We’d only need 3. Hell you could split them into English and Non-English, same as Euoservers. I can’t imagine we’d need a huge data centre.

If ANet wants to push eSports they should be paying attention to stuff like this.

Because they anticipated China have tens of millions of users.

And I believe lol only got an Australian server quite recently didn’kitten

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: rhoiyds.4289

rhoiyds.4289

I’m living in Sydney, Australia on USYD campus. Arguably the BEST internet speeds possible in Australia. I sit on 350-450 ping constantly. This lag is a HUGE difference in PVP. I’ve made my way up to rank 51, however, as the ranks go up, the opposing players get better, and each millisecond becomes more and more critical. I have now reached the breaking point where I am – without a doubt – losing in 1v1 encounters or 2v1 (my favor) due to the unfair difference in ping.
I ask what everyone average ping is at the start of every game, and they are all competing on 20-60 ping and here I am. 400 ping.
This is painfully unfair and annoying.

Tequatls wave? I no longer bother attempting to dodge, because regardless of if I clear the wave on my screen, I’m going to get hit by it.

PVP launch pads on sky hammer? Don’t even think about it. In fact accidentally walking on one will 90% of the time cost me a death.

Aspect Crystals? Can’t use them. 100% broken. All of them. Especially #3 skill. Lighting pull is so broken I could cry. I tried Sanctum Sprint for the first time the other day, and spent half an hour trying every possible jumping angle to clear a platform using lightning pull. I ended up Exiting to Desktop and walking away in frustration.

Oh yeah, and while everyone is happily jetting around using their #2 aspect crystal, I will most likely end up 10 steps back from where I activated the skill due to rubber banding.

I’m a loyal player of 2 years, and I will without a doubt buy HoT. Heck, I’ve even recruited 3 friends to buy the game as well because I love it so much. Please Anet, do not ignore players like me and my friends (and the rest of the people in this thread). There are plenty more players who don’t lurk the threads who are suffering in silence.

TL;DR: We need and Oceanic Server. I would really really enjoy hearing a response from Anet staff regarding this issue.
Please…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If ANet wants into China, they had to licence the game to a Chinese company to run the game for them. That company, KongZhong, is the ones providing the servers, not NCSOFT or ANet.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If Oceania had their own server, they would only be playing among themselves and not with anyone from NA or EU, depending what region you are playing on now. I would wager that you will feel that the game is empty of players and while you will have excellent ping times, there wouldn’t be enough of a population to sustain the game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I doubt there is much that can be done about this..

with the Servers in the US and EU and combined with the horror stories I’ve heard about the internet in Australia.. I really don’t think Anet can do anything about your problems

Posted by: Genesis.4671

Genesis.4671

Just popping in to add my name to this. +1

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

I’m also from Sydney, with 250-300ms. It might appear lower than the other Australians/Oceanic players in this thread because I’m using a ping reducer. It helps massively to cut the average down or least stabilise ping. Nevertheless, 300ms equals to 0.6sec delay, that’s a massive time gap between your dodges and actually evading the attack. Occasionally I still take nukes from players/bosses that I’m certain my character was in mid-dodge animation.

As much as we can hope for an Oceanic server, it just isn’t feasible anymore considering the age of the game itself and the population distribution. If there were Oceanic/SEA server, it would also cut itself off from interacting with the NA players (as in the case for EU servers). Unfortunately the best solution is simply adapting to the lag, this isn’t the first online game for us where lag was a problem. We have to play with foresight (anticipate an attack) to dodging.

Attachments:

(edited by Akikaze.1307)

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

try Leatrix latency fix v3. might reduce latency a bit. work for me.

I tried this today, and the results are negligible.

Before I was getting a 310 ping, after it was the same. I removed it then tried using it as Administrator instead, restarting after each change as necessary. I logged in to a ping of 305, it was a dead server which gave me the option to hop to another one, which is netting me about 280 ping.

It could just be the fact that a different server gives a better ping than another.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Cell.6821

Cell.6821

So how do you check your ping?

I’m playing from SEA and would like to check mine. Also do the tunneling services actually work? BattlePing, WTFast, etc

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

So how do you check your ping?

I’m playing from SEA and would like to check mine. Also do the tunneling services actually work? BattlePing, WTFast, etc

Open up your Options and its in the bottom right corner. FPS is there too.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

This is the main reason I will never live in Australia, it’s not in an MMORPG friendly location. At least you got nice beaches.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Hutchy.5430

Hutchy.5430

To the people in this thread saying they are using ping reducers (battleping, reducethelag etc.) don’t. They are a scam! It only seems like ping is lower but it is a placebo effect.

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

+1 Western Australian on Eu server. 400-600ms ping.
Sanctum sprint can’t do once get to the point requiring a #3 jump.
PvP I die a lot and lose a lot of teams >.<
Annoying they keep pushing this side of GW2.
Fractals are frustrating when your trying to keep up.

Too many online games aren’t designed for the internet.Sure they are never tested with ping like ours.

Posted by: haveageez.5349

haveageez.5349

+1 EU servers are always at best 400ms ping, its insanity that even with a good connection I can have more ping than the rest of my party combined. Its sad because it does make things harder, for instance Lupi solos… I had to do them at a certain time every day otherwise the lag would just takeover and I’d port around, friends can confirm it happening.

I hope there is something that can be done for it, as this game like others has so much more potential to be unlocked imo by making it fair for everyone in terms of ping and latency.

Posted by: esperai.1068

esperai.1068

In RADelaide, can confirm kitten ping of 200-400ms on NA servers, 600-3000ms (!!!) on EU servers even on 100mpbs fibre speed.

Kada – Strike Force [SF]

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

I’m from Chile (South America) and my only issue is with zephyrite crystals. They work based on your ping. Specially the lightning crystals. If you have a high ping they do not stop where you told them to. That kind of stuff should be handled by the client, and not the servers…

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

Akikaze.1307

To the people in this thread saying they are using ping reducers (battleping, reducethelag etc.) don’t. They are a scam! It only seems like ping is lower but it is a placebo effect.

I can disable reducethelag and open GW2 for you to show the client connecting at 500ms. That’s from the client’s feedback, not from a player input. With it turned on, it’ll say 250ms. Though ping reducers might not work for everyone, it’s certainly not a placebo effect.

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

snip

So? That means nothing. They still set up servers there. If anything it’s easier to get servers in Australia/OCX.

Because they anticipated China have tens of millions of users.

And I believe lol only got an Australian server quite recently didn’kitten

Yes and China has how many servers? TWENTY-FOUR servers. Europe has half of china’s population and it has twenty seven. Why can’t Australia get 3?

Sure, maybe OCX/SEA is like 10-15% of the 3 million GW2 Accounts, but surely our numbers justify 3 measly servers in comparison to the 24 NA and China have each, and the 27 Europe has. Is it really that much to ask?

noice

Posted by: BlkPrince.2854

BlkPrince.2854

I am playing from South Africa and I have an average ping of 260 don’t have that many issues. But I am playing on an EU server

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Maybe if the games playerbase in the Australia area becomes large enough they will do something about it. World of Warcraft recently opened some Australian/NZ servers due to a large amount of players in that area.

ColdBlood.2503

can we get a response Anet?

Posted by: Silk.8302

Silk.8302

Sadly location plays the biggest role in this situation. I have tried many proxy services and its a hit and a miss.

However, I am using a very reliable VPN service now and it seems to have done the trick. You guys can give it a shot, I believe its free for 3 days to try out.

VyprVPN is the name. Just connect to the Austin servers

Server|Fort Aspenwood
Guild|Players Killing Players[PVP]
IGN|Sammy Eli

Posted by: KillerRabbit.1946

KillerRabbit.1946

I’m from Chile (South America) and my only issue is with zephyrite crystals. They work based on your ping. Specially the lightning crystals. If you have a high ping they do not stop where you told them to. That kind of stuff should be handled by the client, and not the servers…

This! So much this! If the lightning crystal is meant to take you to the place you clicked, and it was green, and nothing was in the way, it’s absolutely silly that we keep falling either from a too short or too long jump. Ping should not affect a skill like this. This can be fixed!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

can we get a response Anet?

Pretty sure the fact that no announcement or even mention of plans to open ANY new data centers (despite the location) are an indication that the response would be negative….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Hutchy.5430

Hutchy.5430

I can disable reducethelag and open GW2 for you to show the client connecting at 500ms. That’s from the client’s feedback, not from a player input. With it turned on, it’ll say 250ms. Though ping reducers might not work for everyone, it’s certainly not a placebo effect.

Okay then I’d like to see some screensshots

Posted by: Jecht.4589

Jecht.4589

If the lightning crystal is meant to take you to the place you clicked, and it was green, and nothing was in the way, it’s absolutely silly that we keep falling either from a too short or too long jump. Ping should not affect a skill like this. This can be fixed!

This is why I don’t play Sanctum Sprint anymore, those lightning crystals refuse to work >:(

You can also clearly see the lag if you play as an Elementalist and use movement skills such as Burning Retreat and Ride the Lightning.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

If you’re in Sydney, looks like finding out if one of your providers uses APX-East submarine cable and going with them might just be the best solution.

www.submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/apx-east

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Though, it might be great to have an Oceanic/SEA data center, remember that the 3 servers that would create would only be able to play each other in WvW. There would never be a different match-up. I’m not sure how fun WvW would be, but maybe that is insignificant. The Australian/etc. players would have to decide.

Also, that data center would be separate from the NA or EU data center, meaning no interaction with any friends/Guildies/etc. in NA or EU.

It would share the TP, PvP and dungeons (I believe), though.

Akikaze.1307

Okay then I’d like to see some screensshots

As requested.

Attachments:

(edited by Akikaze.1307)