Ode to the sword

Ode to the sword

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Douwe.1746

Douwe.1746

The sword needs more love! On the forums it’s just: cool greatsword here, stun hammer/mace there, but everyone is forgetting the best weapon: the sword.
Lately I’ve been rediscovering my alt classes and giving them interesting builds. And on almost all of them was sword the most fun, versatile and just plain best choice.
So what makes the sword so awesome?
– It has a gap closer!
– It has decent damage!
– It has good condi pressure!
– It has an evade or damage spike or something similar!
– 5! Yes 5 different professions can use it!
– It is a one-handed weapon!
What’s so special about a one hander? You can flavor your sword playstyle with an off hand. You can use a shield for defense, a pistol for some ranged pressure, a torch for whatever reason, hell you can even use a sword while we’re at it.

But if the sword is so awesome, why aren’t we noticing it?
Because the sword isn’t noticable! All the skins are plain rip-offs or hand-me-down’s from the greatsword. And in a game all about cosmetics, it just isn’t worth it to walk around with a barely noticable sword, which when noticed is almost always ugly.

Yeah, yeah, you like the sword. But why make this thread?
The sword needs more love!
Let’s get rid of the current meta: GO GREATSWORD OR GO HOME!
– Upgrade sword skins! (Shadow of lord Taere is an example of good thinking from Anet.)
– update the sword skills!

We need more swords in Guild wars 2!

Ode to the sword

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I run sword/pistol on my mesmer.

Sword/axe or sword/warhorn on my ranger (depends on what I’m doing)

Sword/Dagger on my thief

Sword/axe on my war

It gets a lot of love from me… lol

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Here’s one you left off your list:

‘It causes you to lose complete control of your character and removes your ability to dodge as part of your auto-attack chain’.

Can anyone guess which class this lovely aspect of the sword belongs too!? Coincidently it’s also the same class that is ranked 8th of 8 classes in all WvW surveys!

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Here’s one you left off your list:

‘It causes you to lose complete control of your character and removes your ability to dodge as part of your auto-attack chain’.

Can anyone guess which class this lovely aspect of the sword belongs too!? Coincidently it’s also the same class that is ranked 8th of 8 classes in all WvW surveys!

So don’t turn on auto?

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Sword/Axe Warrior. Best ever.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Infinite Light. That’s it!

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Ode to the sword

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Sword/Mace warrior here. I know it’s not optimal damage output but I couldn’t get into how the GS worked, sword/mace is just fun:)

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I too love sword. Sword/Pistol mesmer. Sword/Axe ranger. Sword/Torch Guardian.
More awesome 1h sword skins are def needed. Most look clunky.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

The one-handed sword definitely deserves more love versus its two-handed sibling; if no other reason than the fact that you can have two sigils operating at the same time. It also allows greater skill versatility. No doubt though that sadly the two-handed sword gets the lion’s share of the great skins.

My Guardian proudly brandishes a one-handed Pact Sword.

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Holy Whirlwind.2067

Holy Whirlwind.2067

I posted about weapons in the Halloween Living World thread, but will use this thread to reiterate my thought on weapon skins available. Right now the greatsword, hammer, and shield seem to get the most love. The new blue flame effect on the exotic greatsword, bats that fly out, a shield that looks like a cemetarty tome, and purple on the hammer….what I would not give to have that on, oh I don’t know: an axe, pistol, sword, focus, sceptor, or staff with some of those effects?!

How hard would that be to make those weapons stand out more with the particle effects or flames, for the same price on the TP as the new Greatsword or hammer? Can we also get a focus that is more substantial? Like the size of a small shield? I can’t see spending 20-50g on an exotic focus that I can barely see.

And the answer to Atherakhia.4086’s question is: The ranger!! I love the sword warhorn combo on the ranger, but I need to be able to dodge/ heal.

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I’d use sword on my warrior if it wasn’t because he is norn and the animation keeps stabbing his toes. Also, it has a portion of its dps placed on condition damage, so… no, no sword until it is a nice to see nice to use weapon

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Ode to the sword

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Most serious PvE mesmer run sword/sword + sword/x in dungeons.

I demand less swords in PvE.