Official. Anet don't work on build template

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

At 8:44

This is the most disappointing news about the expansion for me so far.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

RIP templates. Lol one of the top things on the list of things I was expecting from the expansion…

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

He didn’t say they were never going to work on templates. He said they aren’t working on it now because the expansion comes first. He also mentioned it was an awesome system in GW1 and acknowledged there was a demand for it in GW2.

It’s possible they will work on bringing build templates to GW2 some time after the expansion releases. It takes time for them to bring us stuff based on player feedback due to their priorities on what they need to get done first.

So just be patient. Hopefully we’ll get build templates by the end of the year.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

We NEED template, more then ever especially since there will be specialization. I don’t care if it doesn’t change weapon and armor. I just want that it changes my utilities and traits.

Thing is, this could be already possible on our own with a mouse recorder, but it would be against the TOS. So if you don’t want to put the time to add template in HoT, how about to “accept” mouse recorder to change builds only?

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

To be honest: all the expansion will bring is a few hours of story and random skins you can grind for hundreds of hours.

Oh I am sorry there is no grind in GW2, because Anet says so.

Lets call it hundreds of hours of challenging lategame content thats actually about 2 hours of content you repeat furiously while being happy you play a no grind MMO.

Better preorder HoT right now!

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Better part at 6:25 when asked how do you determine what is expansion content vs feature pack content? And Colin has no answer.

Living Story Season 3 aka Heart of Thorns now available in a box.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Thaddeus.4891

He didn’t say they were never going to work on templates. He said they aren’t working on it now because the expansion comes first. He also mentioned it was an awesome system in GW1 and acknowledged there was a demand for it in GW2.

It’s possible they will work on bringing build templates to GW2 some time after the expansion releases. It takes time for them to bring us stuff based on player feedback due to their priorities on what they need to get done first.

And I never said that they will never work on it either? I said exactly what you said.

The point is that the game will be out for almost 3 years after the expansion. I accept that stuff got prospone for the expansion. But if build template is not part of the expansion, this mean that we are still at least 1 year away from any build template.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

They could probably implement build templates in a day if they wanted to, assuming the original interface supported programmatically assigning traits/skills. The problem is the quality. Do they want to go with something simple like GW1 where you just copy/paste a build string, or do they want to implement something more advanced? The string method is very easy to implement, especially if they just make it a command line as a hidden feature (for example, /build PGluc2VydCBidWlsZCBoZXJlPg).

Living Story Season 3 aka Heart of Thorns now available in a box.

They’re testing a theory. Package up a few feature packs together with an entire season and see what happens. People complained about free content, so let’s see what happens if it’s sold as an expansion. Unlike the living story, a boxed expansion will gain outside attention.

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Build templates are the new hobosack.

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

This is how I feel when I hear this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AYIcTVizM4

Not doing templates is pretty much shooting themselves in the foot and having the shot ricochet into the players. It’s just silly all around.

Templates would not only breathe new life into the game and allow players who want to re-roll their characters the ability to do so, but It can be done so that Anet makes a load of cash on this.

Here’s how I see templates going into gw2

Everyone gets 1-2 free templates per character with up to 5-10 extra locked by gems(just like inventory slots,bank slots, character slots, etc).

Changing templates is basically like changing weapons.( it can even be hotkeyed)
Each template slot holds your equipped items(armor, weapons, trinkets, and back), currently selected skills, and traits.

Skills, and traits can be exported/imported using the gw1 method(see : http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Template) sPvP templates also include the sigils, runes, and amulet.

Requiring new items for each template would make a very good gold sink. As well as free inventory slots for player currently holding their second armor(I’m doing that on 2 characters right now)

this way a new item (Template expansion slot) could be sold for approx 400 gems that would increase the number of templates available on a character.

Templates are wanted, templates are useful, templates are lucrative. It’s win-win-win.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

acknowledged there was a demand for it in GW2.

The more people that demand with good reason the higher up it gets on the todo list.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Lytalm.5673

acknowledged there was a demand for it in GW2.

The more people that demand with good reason the higher up it gets on the todo list.

Let’s get on strike, THEY WILL HEAR US!!!

Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

God forbird it actually be part of the expansion content…

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

“Guys we are merging Conquest and our new, exciting, super fun mode ‘Stronghold!’”

How did build templates not get thrown to the top of a list at that point?

There are f2p games with templates where it’s not even important to have access to switching builds quickly.

Guild Wars 1 had build templates and separate queues for separate pvp formats.

Poor form.

We have been asking for these for years too because they are a good idea.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

Well this is a significant disappointment…
Yeah sure it’ll come along “someday”, but it would really have made sense to be a feature of the expansion.

I already find it hard enough to keep track of the various useful builds in the game… (easily 3-5 PvE/WvW builds and 2-3 PvP builds per class), making it annoying to be able to swap in a timely manner. The expansion is obviously going to compound the problem adding another main class, a specialization thing per every class, and then a new PvP mode.

And I know I’m not the only one wanting this. Of all the quality-of-life improvements that would be nice, this is the one I hear asked for the most – sometimes being mentioned on a daily basis in guild chat and such.

Posted by: Eiposu no Tenshi.5079

Eiposu no Tenshi.5079

And I know I’m not the only one wanting this. Of all the quality-of-life improvements that would be nice, this is the one I hear asked for the most – sometimes being mentioned on a daily basis in guild chat and such.

Much of the same here. The number of times I load into spvp, look at the opposing comp, and think to myself, “Do I have enough time to swap EVERYTHING?” or matter of fact “Do I have enough time AND remember?”. I feel handicapped to a degree not having this kind of option readily available again in GW2. This is what destroys my personal build diversity.

Thaddeus.4891

I just don’t get it. Fixing condition in PvE and build template should be high in the priority list. And its not like build template would be hard to do. They don’t need to create a complicated, advanced system. Just give us the basic trait/utilities and we gonna be happy.

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

“Guys we are merging Conquest and our new, exciting, super fun mode ‘Stronghold!’”

How did build templates not get thrown to the top of a list at that point?

There are f2p games with templates where it’s not even important to have access to switching builds quickly.

Guild Wars 1 had build templates and separate queues for separate pvp formats.

Poor form.

We have been asking for these for years too because they are a good idea.

Don’t worry, you’ll get to pay extra for all those things that should have been baseline just like the current crop of HoT features in the next expansion!

Are you not hyped!?

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

I think they will not work on template as long as the traits system is not perfect ….
they already says they will rework it .. ( see the NPE topic )

The day we will have the perfect traits system we will get Templates.

Thaddeus.4891

I think they will not work on template as long as the traits system is not perfect ….

Yes, but they won’t work on trait as long as the daily is not perfect, because daily still need 2 or 3 revamp since it’s such an essential part of the game. After all it’s number 1 on the priority list.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m baffled that this is not among the highest priority features. This system is completely independent of trait acquisition, so there’s no reason it has to wait on that. Somebody had to have brought this up years ago, and for whatever stupid reason it got shot down. Like, seriously? This is one of the most obviously necessary features if they ever want this to be an eSport, and somehow they still haven’t gotten around to doing it.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Candidate for a feature patch, maybe?

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Bit of a shame. I had it down for a dead cert either before expac or with. Its one QoL feature i thought would be considered essential, esp with new and challenging content.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Templates would be a handy convenience item; however, I’m actually not let down by Colin’s statements at all.

They aren’t working on them currently, but they’re aware they would be nice / good to have. It’s something they want to do, but the expansion is the priority for them. I can respect that they have priorities and that only so much development can be achieved over a given amount of time.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Iason Evan.3806

Templates would be a handy convenience item; however, I’m actually not let down by Colin’s statements at all.

They aren’t working on them currently, but they’re aware they would be nice / good to have. It’s something they want to do, but the expansion is the priority for them. I can respect that they have priorities and that only so much development can be achieved over a given amount of time.

It’s a greater issue for PvP where they have said they are merging the Stronghold/Conquest queues. No one wants to have to manually switch builds every time a queue pops. Build templates are pretty much standard issue in MMOs in this day and age. They should have them, especially if they decide to go forward with the debacle that merged queues for different pvp formats would be. The only thing worse than not getting templates after we have expressed our desire to have them for a few years now is the terrible communication on ArenaNet’s part. How do you have merged queues if Stronghold is part of the HoT purchase as they have said it is? How do queues work with a split playerbase?

If I was a pvp only player and Stronghold didn’t look like my kind of mode, I wouldn’t buy the x-pac so that I would never have to queue for it. Heck, I would even wait to hear what people had to say about it so that my account wasn’t flagged to be a part of a merged queue.

Build templates are a big deal in my opinion. They dropped the ball on this in a big way. We’ve been talking about wanting them for a long time.

Lytalm.5673

Yes, but they won’t work on trait as long as the daily is not perfect, because daily still need 2 or 3 revamp since it’s such an essential part of the game. After all it’s number 1 on the priority list.

I think you forgot your /s

But seriously, this is not only a problem for PvP. WvW and open world content use the same build. There is a lot of things which utilize a different build : roam, zerg, skill blob, dungeon, fractal, world boss, SW (and other open world content).

Even in the same dungeon / event you may want to change build, depending the situation. This needs to be higher priority then say, dye pannel…

Fort Aspenwood

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Build templates are a big deal in my opinion. They dropped the ball on this in a big way. We’ve been talking about wanting them for a long time.

I understand the dislike of manually swapping builds before a pvp match, we do it now (to some extent) if we end up with courtyard as opposed to a conquest map. I’d like to have build templates too, but it’s not the end of the world that we don’t.

As Colin stated, they have priorities. As a company, that’s their prerogative. We don’t have to like it necessarily. We don’t even have to agree with them, but we lack a significant amount of data which is used in determining what they decide are priorities.

As I said before, only so much can be developed in an allotted amount of time. They have talked about a whole new region, whole new story, 4 work intensive new systems, a new pvp game mode, precursor crafting / scavanger hunt, a new class, revamping the trait system (yet again), and a bit more. Which of those would you have preferred to have been dropped so that your desire could be fulfilled? I’m sure while you’d prefer templates over ‘x’ feature, someone else would prefer that feature over your templates, or even something else entirely (dueling? marriage? personal housing? wow 3.0?) .

They cannot please everyone, nor can they do it all ‘right now.’ Be content knowing that it’s on their to do list. Colin could have just as easily have said they weren’t doing them at all.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

What is this crap….. this is the only reason I posted on fourms. Then to find out they haven’t even started working on it. I don’t mind paying for it at this point >.<

Iason Evan.3806

I understand the dislike of manually swapping builds before a pvp match, we do it now (to some extent) if we end up with courtyard as opposed to a conquest map. I’d like to have build templates too, but it’s not the end of the world that we don’t.

As Colin stated, they have priorities. As a company, that’s their prerogative. We don’t have to like it necessarily. We don’t even have to agree with them, but we lack a significant amount of data which is used in determining what they decide are priorities.

As I said before, only so much can be developed in an allotted amount of time. They have talked about a whole new region, whole new story, 4 work intensive new systems, a new pvp game mode, precursor crafting / scavanger hunt, a new class, revamping the trait system (yet again), and a bit more. Which of those would you have preferred to have been dropped so that your desire could be fulfilled? I’m sure while you’d prefer templates over ‘x’ feature, someone else would prefer that feature over your templates, or even something else entirely (dueling? marriage? personal housing? wow 3.0?) .

They cannot please everyone, nor can they do it all ‘right now.’ Be content knowing that it’s on their to do list. Colin could have just as easily have said they weren’t doing them at all.

i totally get where you are coming from and respect your opinion. my main issue is that if they weren’t going to do templates then they shouldn’t have merged the queues. they shouldn’t merge modes regardless, but doing so and then omitting templates on top of it just compounds the issue in my opinion.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This needs to be higher priority then say, dye pannel…

I think you guys need to take a step back and considering the amount of work that these types of things entails. The dye panel modification requires from front end UI modification, and additional data pulled from the database. It’s distinctly simpler to do than build templates.

Templates are going to require database objects, back end coding to handle those crud operations and the associated affects they have on the character, front end coding to handle the new feature, as well as the graphic creation to go with the front end code. It’s a heck of a lot more work, not to mention more people involved.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

i totally get where you are coming from and respect your opinion. my main issue is that if they weren’t going to do templates then they shouldn’t have merged the queues. they shouldn’t merge modes regardless, but doing so and then omitting templates on top of it just compounds the issue in my opinion.

I get why they only have the one queue. Looking back at the multiple queues for the assorted pvp types in GW1, I do get why they did it.

I understand you’re gripe too. Sometimes I feel the same way when I’m set for conquest and I get stuck in courtyard, and sometimes that 60 or so seconds before the match starts doesn’t feel like enough time to get things swapped. However, I honestly don’t think the addition of Stronghold is going to compound the issue as much as you think it will. Of course, I could be wrong.

To me, it’s not as big a deal. Considering how long I played GW1 RA / JQ / FA prior to templates, and the whole crap shoot of hoping what you built would work with your team set up…GW2 is really not so bad in comparison lol.

Posted by: Damash.2754

Damash.2754

No templates. Rly?
One more on that Anet talks about and never finished list. -.-