Official Episode 6 Feedback Thread: One Path Ends

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

As Season 3 wraps up with “One Path Ends,” we’d love to ask you a favor, as we have in the past:

Please share your high-level feedback (75 words or fewer) on Episode 6.

Please mark any spoilers with the spoiler tag (see formatting guide) to avoid giving away the story to those who have not yet played all the way through.

Devs will be reading other threads, of course, and longer or more detailed feedback is welcome. This thread is designed to amass your high-level views.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: trixantea.1230

trixantea.1230

I’m still exploring the new map but I think it needs more than one waypoint.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can buy more Waypoints with map currency. I like that feature.

I’ve enjoyed the parts of the new map I’ve explored. I’ve only done the story up until entering the map, so far. The doppelganger had me stumped, but, of course, the forums came through. I’ve also enjoyed the story, so far.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I am enjoying it a lot although there is one thing I feel could be changed. In the second instance of the story you can play it with your friend. You are stuck on a balcony just watching them. It would be nice if we could be running through the instance with them instead.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Probably the weakest episode to date, in fact of all the Seasons. The first episode I can say I found more wrong than right and just didn’t find enjoyable and I include the map in that.
- The puzzle element didn’t really bother me, but will end up being too annoying for most. There really was no need for it other than to antagonise players - Why is my Norn a member of the Shining Blade? This whole sequence was heavily contrived just to satisfy our own curiosity about the Exemplar. There really didn’t need to exist an oath and weird instance for them to tell us what they were up to. Killing mursaat is hardly a shocking reveal after all. - The map is a bit more interesting than most Orr areas, but lacked any depth and consequently felt rushed and doesn’t encourage as much repeat play as the others. I could never visit here again and not feel I miss out. Balthazars area is particularly overtuned – all I saw was dead bodies everywhere. The map was a great excuse to really and thoroughly explore a great deal of lore on the Gods which it never took. We also seem to rather easily cleanse Risen corpses without fully explaining why (unless I missed something. It just felt too easy) - How did Braham just walk up to and surround Jormag with an army? The whole build up until now is that you can’t just walk up to a fully active Elder Dragon. That has literally been a major theme in the first 2-3 years of the game. Then he writes us a letter instead of killing him whilst having the chance. What? - Last instance. The mobs have too much HP although the mechanics are OK. The biggest issue in the last instance is that she dies to quickly from the sparks whilst charging up her magic to destroy the shield. I spent half an hour constantly rezzing her since the sparks wont aggro away. - Interesting cutscene to end on, but still feels like we are mid season Overall, I thought this episode was pretty terrible. NEver felt like a finale, the map was weak compared to the other 5 and the story brought in yet another mini story thread instead of keeping on point and rushing through 3 GW1 characters just to get them done and out of the way.

Season 2 as a story was much stronger – it kept to a solid narrative thread without diverting off unless it was relevant to do so. And it had a finale with a solid lead in to get excited about the expansion. The ending here was a bit flat

Apologies, id love to give more positive feedback, but unlike any of the others, there just wasnt anything fun here and im really disappointed this wasnt an avtual finale.

Posted by: Daiki.6237

Daiki.6237

Edited to remove posting about bug that was fixed in the patch notes… still loving the story though!!

(edited by Daiki.6237)

Posted by: ReinventTheExit.6587

ReinventTheExit.6587

The story would be so much better if the new black lion weapon skins weren’t double the price.

Posted by: Calanthe.3857

Calanthe.3857

I’ve enjoyed the parts of the new map I’ve explored. I’ve only done the story up until entering the map, so far. The doppelganger had me stumped, but, of course, the forums came through. I’ve also enjoyed the story, so far.

Where/how do you buy the waypoints? I didn’t see that.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I am incredibly impressed with the combat in this episode. We’ve gotten to a point where it’s sort of not possible to make more difficult combat via just damage or health numbers without being incredibly annoying and tedious, but this episode made combat more interesting. I enjoy having to think about multiple things at the same time while still not just being randomly killed by some overpowered boss attack.

Dancing around on the floor while fighting, paying attention to secondary and even tertiary mechanics all at the same time, heavy use of breakbars… even chasing open world bosses through mesmer portals or using new glider skills to approach them. All great stuff. My favorite combat to date.

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

Well, as always, everything story-wise is rushed… Too many things, for a really short time happen. That is something you guys should work on, on making a pace that feels like a natural progression!
From the point of a story, I liked it a lot, twists, a lot of lore got covered (!), many things I, as a gw1 player since 2005, wondered about the “gw1” universe since it stopped getting updates.

The map is fine! Very creative, it feels fresh but still has a bit of older vibe, and it’s huuuuge in verticality! I like seeing NPC workers doing all kind of works and telling their stories, even more, when you can enter the prison near Risen Lowlands (too funny xD) – little things like this make me explore more and really be thankful for your time and passion you are putting into the game, even if I do not like a lot of things you are doing with the pacing of a story, it has been a huge problem for me since the HoT release!
A lot of caverns and little places on a map, it has that mysterious feeling – I just like the overall design of a map, even tho I will never really like events and meta events on them, it’s just a one-time thing for me, sadly.
I’ve enjoyed jumping puzzle a lot and I got scared haha, I would say it was my best experience in gw2 in last 10 months!

And even tho I do like map design, I must tell you that you should be careful of overusing updrafts! I hope expansion map doesn’t have them that many because it is kinda annoying, it breaks immersion a lot for me. For some maps and parts, I can understand updrafts, but not in such a huge number! You guys are creative, don’t use it up on updrafts! It really makes me lazy, I do not explore as much because of it, gliding is just too awesome… xD

I did like story puzzles, even tho I needed some time to understand the tricks. I am all for puzzles, I love them, but I do feel that there were too many for such a short playtime, gotta balance it a bit more! This is after all MMORPG, not a puzzle game. Better focus on more storytelling, a better pace, than on mechanics.

I did like how you’ve used “radio” to give us more lore answers, interactions like that are really nice, even more, when you are playing “filler events” to progress the story – it makes them so much more interesting and they actually feel like a part of a story and not just a trick to make people play the events on a map!

Legendary weapons are great, you made me think twice which legendary sword will I go for, Bolt still wins in my eyes in terms of the design, even tho new legendary sword has a real story behind it! THAT is a great step forward for legendary items! Connecting them to the story and the lore!

Ending cinematic was very well done, it has an epic feeling, energy, and emotions behind it! With it, you set a bar for 2nd expansion a bit higher than I’ve wanted! It doesn’t mean I am more hyped, it is just that I know that you can do great story telling, cinematic scenes and more serious/dangerous atmosphere that you’ve shown us with HoT and LS3. Be careful of story pacing, it needs to be an adventure, fully immersive, not just shortcuts on shortcuts!

Posted by: MacLeod.5386

MacLeod.5386

I’m sorry, but if I had wanted to play a puzzle game, I would have bought a puzzle game instead of this game.

The jumping puzzle/puzzle element used to be a side element back when the game launched, didn’t do them then when it was a choice, sure as kitten don’t want to do them now as kitten requirements.

I was hyped about the new expansion, but I was hyped for a GuildWars2 expansion, not a GuildPuzzle2/PuzzleWars2 that this has become. Sadly, I only see it becoming worse, judging by the amount that was in this Living World season. That’s just my opinion, I’m sure many others think the opposite, which is fine, to each their own.

Posted by: Calanthe.3857

Calanthe.3857

Probably the weakest episode to date, in fact of all the Seasons. The first episode I can say I found more wrong than right and just didn’t find enjoyable and I include the map in that.
- The puzzle element didn’t really bother me, but will end up being too annoying for most. There really was no need for it other than to antagonise players - Why is my Norn a member of the Shining Blade? This whole sequence was heavily contrived just to satisfy our own curiosity about the Exemplar. There really didn’t need to exist an oath and weird instance for them to tell us what they were up to. Killing mursaat is hardly a shocking reveal after all. - The map is a bit more interesting than most Orr areas, but lacked any depth and consequently felt rushed and doesn’t encourage as much repeat play as the others. I could never visit here again and not feel I miss out. Balthazars area is particularly overtuned – all I saw was dead bodies everywhere. The map was a great excuse to really and thoroughly explore a great deal of lore on the Gods which it never took. We also seem to rather easily cleanse Risen corpses without fully explaining why (unless I missed something. It just felt too easy) - How did Braham just walk up to and surround Jormag with an army? The whole build up until now is that you can’t just walk up to a fully active Elder Dragon. That has literally been a major theme in the first 2-3 years of the game. Then he writes us a letter instead of killing him whilst having the chance. What? - Last instance. The mobs have too much HP although the mechanics are OK. The biggest issue in the last instance is that she dies to quickly from the sparks whilst charging up her magic to destroy the shield. I spent half an hour constantly rezzing her since the sparks wont aggro away. - Interesting cutscene to end on, but still feels like we are mid season Overall, I thought this episode was pretty terrible. NEver felt like a finale, the map was weak compared to the other 5 and the story brought in yet another mini story thread instead of keeping on point and rushing through 3 GW1 characters just to get them done and out of the way.

Season 2 as a story was much stronger – it kept to a solid narrative thread without diverting off unless it was relevant to do so. And it had a finale with a solid lead in to get excited about the expansion. The ending here was a bit flat

Apologies, id love to give more positive feedback, but unlike any of the others, there just wasnt anything fun here and im really disappointed this wasnt an avtual finale.

I’m stuck with the bug on the final fight, but otherwise I also found this episode weak. Nothing as spectacular as The Head of the Snake and the buildup to that.

- The new map doesn’t seem to have much thought put into the Renown Heart quests, although I did rather enjoy the event of gathering in the air. I actually think the old Orr maps are more complex overall in their events and exploration.

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

I’m sorry, but if I had wanted to play a puzzle game, I would have bought a puzzle game instead of this game.

The jumping puzzle/puzzle element used to be a side element back when the game launched, didn’t do them then when it was a choice, sure as kitten don’t want to do them now as kitten requirements.

I was hyped about the new expansion, but I was hyped for a GuildWars2 expansion, not a GuildPuzzle2/PuzzleWars2 that this has become. Sadly, I only see it becoming worse, judging by the amount that was in this Living World season. That’s just my opinion, I’m sure many others think the opposite, which is fine, to each their own.

I am with you. I hate jumping puzzles, and I always will hate this part of the game. Now jumping puzzles are mandatory in this game. GuildWars2 is turning into PuzzleWars2,
in my opinion too. I just can’t wait to see what puzzles new expansion brings.

At first (when the game released) I thought Guild Wars meant wars between guilds, but in fact is guilds fighting for whoever finishes a raid or a jumping puzzle faster.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Morsheira.6102

Morsheira.6102

It’s great you let us explore the Shining Blade Head Quarters, but why can we not have an instance like the Dead End we can use for it after the fact?
Is it that hard to throw the RP community a bone?

Posted by: ParanoidKami.2867

ParanoidKami.2867

I liked it. The easily done mini puzzles were nice to have and lots of red circles to dodge made it exciting. Music during the last fight was also amazing. I usually play with the sound off but turned it on for that fight :p I also liked how it wasn’t too easy while being not too hard.

The Balthazar shrine area was way harder than the others due to the big guys that burned everything. I could beat them with the knockback buff, but I would die easily if I didn’t. Every other shrine was easy in comparison.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

The story was great, difficulty was well adjusted and the fights were interesting, and the episode wasn’t too long or short.

I don’t particularly like the new map, but that’s only because I hate Orr, always have, and even this map won’t change my mind Maybe if you turned it into a happy, colorful place with bunnies and greenery… but oh, you had to go with the darkness ‘n’ death theme. Otherwise, a very well-designed zone with interesting mechanics and bosses, and some of the new backpieces are amazing.

A solid 9/10 episode, good job and many thanks to the team for this wonderful season!

//Edit: forgot to add. The map really could use one or two more (actual) waypoints. Buying them with the map currency is a nice touch I guess, but feels kind of pointless. Oh and the portal scroll tome, that was a great addition!

(edited by Hevoskuuri.3891)

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Once again too many of the achievements are designed to need huge toughness. Characters with less, especially thieves who depend on ability chaining and single engages, are virtually unable to complete achieves like Fearless, as their core class mechanic is nerfed too hard by the design of the challenge. The punishes people who took less durable classes as their main story completion character (most people have only 1).

Fluffball.8307

Once again too many of the achievements are designed to need huge toughness. Characters with less, especially thieves who depend on ability chaining and single engages, are virtually unable to complete achieves like Fearless, as their core class mechanic is nerfed too hard by the design of the challenge. The punishes people who took less durable classes as their main story completion character (most people have only 1).

I have not attempted fearless yet other than the too many minutes or so before I figured out what to do, but can’t you just condi it to death? I didn’t have any trouble surviving on a full glass ranger with a dead pet, so I doubt a dire thief is hard.

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

Cons:

• As always with LS3, story feels rushed and lack a fair amount of polish. Didn’t like direction that story took in this episode at all. Felt like a filler between LS3 and Exp2. Maybe this story should’ve worked better if it was a raid.
  • Dialogues as usual are bad and full of immersion breaking humor and modern slang.
  • A certain story character looked better in GW1 than in GW2 (she looks like generic npc).
  • Some mechanics and puzzles are feel like tedium and not exactly fun to play.
  • New mastery feels like a “filler” – haven’t used it a single time doing story and map completion.
  • Some achievements are too hard (maybe?).

Pros:

• New fractal.
  • New legendary sword.
  • New legendary trinkets.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

As Season 3 wraps up with “One Path Ends,” we’d love to ask you a favor, as we have in the past:

Please share your high-level feedback (75 words or fewer) on Episode 6.

jumping puzzles, boss fights, story line, map design, all = failure yet again disappointed fully by the new One Path Ends just like the whole s3e 1 to 5.

only thing I was not disappointed by that was anets able to disappoint me so in that they fully succeeded in disappointing me fully

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

A) you are assuming a condi thief and b) no, because the fight actively breaks the thief’s core mechanic by suddenly giving every skill a long cooldown. Thief skills are individually less damaging than others due to how much they can spam with no CDs. Suddenly add CDs to a thief and damage, whether power or condi, goes through the floor, to say nothing of survivability.

Posted by: Sigmar.8614

Sigmar.8614

So I entirely missed the “75 words or fever” part… too much disappointment to fit in that few I guess.
TLDR version:
The Good: Fractal, new weapons, new skins
The “Meh”: New zone = new currency, bank tabs (took way too long to get there)

Bad: Dialogue. Story. “Mastery” (what is it even for?) Dialogue. Male Charr voiceover. Playing any other race than human just breaks up the story writing.
Terrible: The combination of dialogue writing and voiceover. Please don’t do that again.

Posted by: PaladinVII.1647

PaladinVII.1647

Positive: The dialogue was good and very entertaining. The new map is fun.

Needs Improvement: SPOILERS INSIDEThe tie-in to the expansion is weak. The Commander decides to go to the Crystal Desert because the Eye of Janthir (which only players in Guild Wars 1 will recognize) showed Balthazar (A plot element that has not been explained. This is turning into a re-hash of Scarlet.) in that area. This is a very poor reason for The Commander to go out on a quest, from a storytelling perspective. The reasoning that Balthazar might bring about the end of the world is not sufficient for a proper story. Balthazar appeared out of nowhere with no reason for connection to the current story. More should have been explained in this chapter.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

The one thing I noticed in the new maps was there were no repair places anywhere on the map. If they were there, they were well hidden or maybe forgotten??

New map looks great and I found it interesting to explore and figure things out.

I did the first run through with a group. For the Shining Blade Secrets we were stuck on a balcony and could throw bombs but the bulk of the mobs came in below the balcony and did not progress out far enough that we could be of much help for what little damage the bombs did. Cool down was so long they were nearly worthless. Even with the group’s aid our main person was not able to get near the 5 minute mark at all.

I went back and did some of the achieves by myself and was able to get Fearful. For Fearless I was unable to dodge the hands as they would curve around to where ever I moved and I still could not dodge them.

I liked looking for the various tomes and reading what they had to say. We really need a bookcase in our home instance to put them in so we can reread them.

I am still learning on how to properly use the new mastery so I can’t really comment on it. It does seem underwhelming but once I use it I may change my mind. It did not have the instant zing that the oakheart essence gave when first used.

Posted by: Taurid.1753

Taurid.1753

Siren’s Landing: Feels like an Orr map through and through, and that is not a good thing. Orr is the worst place to be in the game, outside of Tangled Depths, and this map is just as boring as the other 3. Lots of wasted space, the map feels ‘dead,’ still, even after the area was supposed to be “purified” a few in-game years ago.
-The mastery skill this time around feels very pointless, since it can only be used while standing still, usually mid-battle, for it to do anything. Making it cost 7 points instead of 5 feels like slight robbery for nothing in return.

Story: Just brushed the whole issue with Braham to the side, giving it at most a couple lines of dialogue for something that was supposed to be a huge character impact for him and his people.
-All the hype given to the Exemplar, based off of everyone having to know her from GW1, apparently, which falls flat for anyone that didn’t play it.
-Barely any continuation on Balthazar’s part of the story, since he wasn’t even anywhere near Orr for the entire episode. Still no hint as to who was messing with him to force him to try and absorb Jormag and Primordus, which would have been useful to help set up hype for the expansion.

Achievements: 36 out of 41 or so to complete the main objective? Really? At least it wasn’t as miserable as Bitterfrost where you had to do everything; here you get to at least skip a few that are annoying or you can’t manage to do. Timed battle achievements are very annoying, especially if you do the content solo and don’t have the damage output or survive-ability to manage it within the time limit.

Expansion: I was disappointed not to see a 1:1 announcement like Heart of Thorns got, but announcing the announcement for the expansion reveal is still good enough.

Posted by: Musik.8509

Musik.8509

Surprisingly disappointing. I feel like the trailer tricked me.
I’ll need to warm up to the new map. No waypoints is annoying.
Livias plan was stupid. Her attitude was worse. She comes across like a cheaper version of Anise.
But worst: My character acted stupid throughout the whole episode. The whole tone of the initiation was wrong, the reasoning behind it was stupid and the whole plot around it was badly structured and told.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

What? I have to purchase WPs?? That is pure crap.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Enjoyed the episode a lot. Closure in some areas was nice to have, as well as some of the other information revealed. There were some pieces that really felt like Anet had plans for something more elaborate, but cut them out and just used the associated cut scenes. While it was nice for time reduction, it left things in that segment a little clunky.
The use of the renown hearts in the new zone was a nice choice, and the time to complete them is pretty well balanced.
some of the mechanics could use a little more information, but overall the whole story segment was enjoyable.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Angel.6085

Angel.6085

I don’t play this game for puzzles. It’s nice that theyre in there, but they should not be required content. I got so kittened off at the first mission in E6 that I doubt Ill even bother with the rest of it. I actually had to kill myself to get the bloodstone puzzle to reset so I could complete it.

Not fun at all.

YB>DB>BG>SOR>TC>BG>FA>DB>SOS>BP Guardian
Formerly [rB], [OPED], [Choo]
Guild Leader [DN] Digital Nemesis

(edited by Angel.6085)

Posted by: ron.6157

ron.6157

wow love the story plot and the new map up in till THE LAST CHANCE and keeping liv a live I get its a challenge but soloing it is like having teeth pulled with out any pain killers so over powered every time you all get a good story going its like hay why not make every thing supper hard 14 years of playing GW proph/factions/nightfall/eye of the north GW2 and hot think ill pass on next Xpack

Posted by: ParanoidKami.2867

ParanoidKami.2867

Just finished the jumping puzzle. It was fun and I didn’t have to look up a guide on how to do it, which is how it should be. Some people were still being portaled up for some reason.

Is there nowhere to repair in the map?

Posted by: mashiara.3452

mashiara.3452

free the exemplar seems to just not want to work for me , read the dulfy guide , and it is just not working ,
i am now frustrated to the point of just not playing the episode ,

Posted by: naturesoul.3578

naturesoul.3578

I am with you. I hate jumping puzzles, and I always will hate this part of the game. Now jumping puzzles are mandatory in this game. GuildWars2 is turning into PuzzleWars2,
in my opinion too. I just can’t wait to see what puzzles new expansion brings.

At first (when the game released) I thought Guild Wars meant wars between guilds, but in fact is guilds fighting for whoever finishes a raid or a jumping puzzle faster.

I agree, i love the living stories in general i even liked the original ones they felt the need to shorten(, liked them better just the way they were), but i hate puzzles. The puzzle at the end was ok, but the one in the hideout that was just frustrating. i also loath jumping puzzles. i have vertigo and some of the jumping puzzles and even some of the fractals don’t do me well.

Fluffball.8307

A) you are assuming a condi thief and b) no, because the fight actively breaks the thief’s core mechanic by suddenly giving every skill a long cooldown. Thief skills are individually less damaging than others due to how much they can spam with no CDs. Suddenly add CDs to a thief and damage, whether power or condi, goes through the floor, to say nothing of survivability.

I’m guessing this in response to me suggesting condi for fearless. I’m not assuming anything, I’m just suggesting my immediate thought on how to complete the achievement.

Apply a condi burst and just run around easily surviving in condi gear, not attacking. Rinse and repeat for like 20 minutes. I accidentally got the thing down to 70-some percent health using rapid attacks like RF and auto attack before I realized you could interact with other mechanics, so condi on any class I would assume will fairly easily kill it. Just my guess.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

The episode overall is nice closing for good the wm and mursaat plot. Livia is suprrb best girl etc.

The ending and The trailer tying the expac feels id say forced i dont think the se toutched enough to tie the plot with the expac as much as it should be.

But the trailer at least had some bas as moment. It also feels wierd. Why would balthazar has one of lazarus’ apects? Why would he go to orr for no apaprent reason so far? Why would he leave the aspect of lazarus in a conveniently placed pentagram?

Im not saying all these ruind the experience but they deff stained it.

The boss foghts were good and the shining blade instnace great.

(edited by zealex.9410)

Posted by: Sicarine.3985

Sicarine.3985

The puzzles were good, the encounters were easy enough to figure out. The encounter against your self doubt was frustrating to figure out (for the Fearless achievement).

The weak point (and really the reason I decided to post), was the player character. I have never felt less connected to the character I am meant to be role playing. The friction between my chararacter and that of The Allied NPC was really forced. From my perspective I was thinking, “Well if they’re gonna have THAT kind of attitude, just don’t provoke them further”. Meanwhile my character was going “waaah i’m not gonna wait for you…Ha ha I found it first…Well actually the saying SUPPOSED to go yada yada.”

Basically the player character was acting like a kindergartner throwing a tantrum. Several tantrums, really. It was grating to see her snap at taimi for no good reason, it was grating to see her snark at the Dwayna Heart npc.

Basically, to reiterate, the player character acted stiff, like she would rather murder you than take any kind of joke or oddball behavior. This is NOT how I would play my character in a “Role-Playing” MMO.

Devil’s advocate here. Supposing the dialogue team was going for a sense of frustration and running out of time…..It kind of does not work when the story instances are broken up by “now go and do all 5 hearts to do the next story instance”. The episode failed to deliver a believable sense of urgency. Yes, you’re running after balthazar, and yes there’s the threat of the world ending, but it’s not the first time te worl has been threatened and the player acts uncharacteristically obnoxious in her tunnel-vision-mentality of “find balth”.

My 2 (and a bit) cents.

All else aside, this was good. The Allied NPC’s reveal is the satisfying conclusion to the mursaat backstory, we get a good bit of gw1 callbacks, the map is easy to navigate an get from place to place.

It’s a GOOD episode, just not from the perspective of how the player character acts, behaves, or speaks.

Fluffball.8307

It’s a GOOD episode, just not from the perspective of how the player character acts, behaves, or speaks.

That’s always going to be an issue because GW2’s PC has her own personality, not your own. She is not you, and it’s not a RPG.

In my case, I was like “kitten you don’t tell me what to do” so it actually worked well for me.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The new map is good, grinding out all the hearts for the story is blatant padding, though.

The plot has the PC acting wrong, WRONG, WRONG. What charr would take an oath that puts Kryta and a human group above their loyalty to their Warband and Legion?

There are other plot holes I’ve mentioned elsewhere.

I do like the buying of the extra WPs, though. They’re free once you have them, and you don’t have to visit them before gaining access, just buy them. Also makes it MUCH easier to uncover the map with a second character.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

zealex.9410

That’s always going to be an issue because GW2’s PC has her own personality, not your own. She is not you, and it’s not a RPG.

In my case, I was like “kitten you don’t tell me what to do” so it actually worked well for me.

I wonder why do we have ferocious dignity and charm options for.

Fluffball.8307

I wonder why do we have ferocious dignity and charm options for.

It’s little wonder we don’t anymore. Your only choice is to watch the PC interact for the most part, just like you would Lara Croft or whatever.

zealex.9410

Returning to that system would help with that imo. If we could have va dialogue for it even better.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

The whole living story was not well connected. We are left with unresolved plot lines. Nothing about this last story was really built to. Nice to see an old character, but there was no reason to do it. Very poor storytelling.

SBI

Posted by: Pomdepin.7068

Pomdepin.7068

Best patch since HoT, even if other LS3 episodes were great as well. 2 good looking legendaries, a good map with various and cool events that exploit the rest of Orr, legendary trinkets, an AMAZING new fractal (challenging, beautiful with great mechanics). Storywise I enjoyed it as well and I’m hyped for the next expansion! Great addition too with the bank storage, a must!

Few negative remarks:
- Shining Blade as a legendary weapon is a bit weird after the story of the sword
- I didn’t see the point with Lazarus, and his death is a bit wtf for such a powerful entity
- I don’t like the way your locked Waypoints behind map currency!
- The new mastery seems a bit pointless, more an upgrade than a mechanic

I haven’t played that much as it is still the first day, but it is really a great update which calls for a high quiality expansion! It is a clear improvement from what we have seen since HoT in every single way. Keep up the good work! Congratulations.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Frustrating in the extreme. Jumping puzzles everywhere now? Give me a break. Can’t really give any feedback on the story as I exited the game while fighting my doppelganger. Far to annoying and no fun, so I exited the game and went to play something else instead. Patch by patch, it’s getting less fun to play with all the jumping now required and the terrible battle mechanics, it’s not Guild Wars any more, it feels more like a platform game.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The conversation between the priest and Anise was amusing. No Kasmeer though makes me disappointed.

Sigh, another White Mantle hideout, after they were rendered irrelevant last time. And this one has annoying puzzles, great. And the exemplar we rescue is needlessly snarky and unhelpful. At least my friend was there to help. Unfortunately, they had to do it twice cause it didn’t give them the chance to get credit.

The oath and instances revolving around it were nothing but pointless filler. After all we’ve done for them, and they put us through that just to answer a question or two? My characters would’ve never gone along with that.

Seeing a recovering Orr along with King Reza again was neat.

The the final instance came along…sigh. AoE flame traps that slow you, two okay-ish bosses save for the room AoE gimmicks, then a bullet hell/CC ping pong boss. Dear developers, if I wanted a Touhou style boss, I’d go play Touhou, not Guild Wars 2.

Oh, and the exemplar was Livia and she wanted to resurrect Lazarus so she could kill him properly. Not sure why we had to go through that tedious oath procedure to know that.

Oh, and Balthazar, the one we’re trying to find? Never see him. Except in a cutscene where my character had to tell me it was the Crystal Desert we’re going to, cause the cutscene didn’t make it that clear.

Oh, and another expansion…hmm. Sorry, still disappointed over the first.

Fluffball.8307

Why are people talking about jumping puzzles everywhere. I did the whole episode and didn’t do a single JP… I’ve seen this complaint a bunch of times but haven’t found a reason for it. You don’t have to do a JP if it exists on a map.

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

This episode left me saying why? why? why?
Do you switch writers literally every episode? I felt like none of them made a coherent story and that reveal was not shocking but left a feeling of " this was dumb waste of time"
There was no need to Reveal Balthazar and then revert your Story to that, why waste our time with Caudecus, why waste our time with Jormag, why waste our time with Lazarus. THAT SHOULD OF BEEN THE ARC. Not what you produced. I felt like you are just throwing stuff into the story, for the sake of a story. In no particular Order:

1. Shining Blade allows non-humans now?
  2. Why did you bring Balthazar into the story?
  3. Why was the Shining Blade even hunting Mursaat, when only one existed?
  4. they throw rocks at people? are they a cult?
  5. Surrounded Jormag? really? do you want to rephrase that?
  6. Livia? of all the reveals this was the most pointless
  7. Do you actually have a plan or plot rather than filling in blanks from Gw1? I am sure most of the player base has no Idea who or what Either of the two major reveals was
  8. why did you make any of those story arcs, only to have a magical eye tell us to go to the Crystal desert? and why there.
  9. you didn’t really resolve anything?

What is next, Kalkratorix is actually Palawa Joko? and Palawa Joko is actually Queen Jennah, and She is Taimi?

I am hoping you can redeem yourself from this story with the expansion.

another grindy map, pretty area
Nice to finally see the legendary trinkets.

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

(edited by Nick Lentz.6982)

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Update itself was enjoyable, but kinda frustrated we just went an entire expansion without a single new guild mission.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Had to set things down for several reasons, so I only got to the opening of the island.
Portal Tome, THANKS! With that out of the way, the rest so far has been haaaate.

6.1 wasn’t actually too bad, but please, please, ditch the knockdown/knockback/pinball fetish. It’s irritating when more than one enemy has a disable skill. It invalidates Stability or Stun-breaks just be being so pervasive.
Puzzle element wasn’t so bad here. Got the relevant achievements in one go.

6.2 Awful. Writing was flimsy as an excuse to get the PC to team up. The actual trials might have been witty, but the execution needed more testing.
In the reinactment, trying to help the NPCs stay alive, as usual, just didn’t work. Somewhere, somehow, I got massively overrun and reduced to nothing terribly quick, and the constant blind spam is just another feather in the CC-fetish cap. It’s getting very tiresome.
Then, the Fight of Bad Feelings. It could have been much better, but there’s something amiss with the timing/execution of the homing claw that ruins it so badly. I could have endured it for the Fearless achievement, but a homing, undodgeable claw is absurd, and it goes against the entirety of the game’s combat system.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Johnny.1634

Johnny.1634

Love the game Anet, but this whole Season 3 (and I’m really sorry because I really wanted it to be good) has been a mess. Then this episode came out today…and I’m just utterly disappointed. What was that garbage????

Don’t get me wrong I love these new achievements, being an achievement hunter and all, and sending us to past maps to boost activity there! Great new Legendary weapons, and cant wait to get my trinket! Haven’t had a chance at the fractal yet but I hear its amazing!

BUT THAT “STORY”!

I’m just dumbfounded.
And that was the big GRANDE FINALE???
I’m more lost then I ever was. As several people already stated, we’ve just hopped from one random encounter to the next with no resolutions!

Why in the world did we have to go through that cringe worthy “Oath”? They couldn’t trust us to go after Lazarus (which posed absolutely no threat to us right now with the White Mantle out of the picture…so why are we even here???) even though we were going after him a few episodes ago…until he turned out to be Balthazar (Don’t get me started on that “twist”…)
You turned Livia, an amazing Guild Wars character into some super annoyingly unfunny, common npc look alike. Shes darn powerful and holds(held?) the scepture of Orr, yet in the instance she drops like a fly every five seconds.
And that ending???? I don’t even know what to say right now, aside from the fact that I really don’t have much hope for the expansion

Once again I’m sorry Anet, but please put more time into your writing, or change something here, I’m really giving up on Guild Wars after all these years, sad to say. =/